[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General chatting thread, Lambda calculus edition. Hey /r9k/,

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: normie_advice.jpg (96KB, 1006x768px) Image search: [Google]
normie_advice.jpg
96KB, 1006x768px
General chatting thread, Lambda calculus edition.

Hey /r9k/, resident normie here. If you'd like some advice, have any question you want to ask or just need to vent for a bit and get stuff off your chest, feel free to post here. No such thing as stupid questions here, I'll attempt to answer each and every post wholeheartedly(:

>inb4 OP off my board reeeeeeeee
>inb4 OP can't inb4
>>
Prove you're a normie before we proceed.
>>
>>37072897
This always happens in these threads, and I always feel like I'm jerking myself off, trying to prove that I have a rich and fulfilling life. Nevertheless, here it goes - I have a tight group of friends, I go out frequently (well, at least until finals started coming round) and (kinda) a girlfriend. I also have no trouble making new friends and even people who don't know me well think I'm a chill guy to be around.
>>
File: smg.png (29KB, 596x580px) Image search: [Google]
smg.png
29KB, 596x580px
Just bought some LA Gear shoes, pretty comfy desu. About to leave for the deli to get some hard salami, mabey bang a few slags, heh.
>>
>>37072997
>(kinda) a girlfriend

You're kidding nobody robot
>>
>>37072999
That's pretty chill. I went to Primark to get some new clothes recently, and they all look lovely, but the shoes are starting to get a bit worn. Whatcha get? (:
>>
>lambda calculus
>not feynman claculus

These amplitudes are destroying my sanity as well as my self respect.

I'm on 11 pages of math and the bloody thing's wrong.
>>
>>37073046
It's not "kinda" in the sense that I want to date her but haven't asked her out yet or anything. We ARE dating, we've been sleeping together, making food together, going out together, we're exclusive to each other, etc. We're boyfriend/girlfriend in every sense OTHER than the official, because I don't really want the pressure of having it official and thus having a different mindset on the whole thing.
>>
>>37073107
You think I like it? 25% of my course is computer science and for some reason they have a hard-on for lambda calculus there, so I have to learn it myself):
>>
>>37073173
I don't know what lambda calculus is. I just wanted to share my pain. Holy fuck, the math never ends.
What is lambda calculus? Feynman calculus is Quantum Electrodynamics, you use it to get cross sections for particle reactions (aka the probability of it happening in a certain way).
>>
>>37073229
Lambda calculus has very little to do with calculus - it's just a system for mathematical logic where you can write functions like x->y->x*y. It's terrible from a mathematical standpoint, imo, but pretty alright for programming functions so languages like Lisp use it as their primary function building mechanism.

Oh that's cool, I've been learning a bit about cyclic differential maths recently as well, specifically the Fourier series and the Wave Function and whatnot.
>>
>>37073229
>>37073332
Wait, I just realised that Quantum Electrodynamics probs has very little to do with differentials and stuff.
>>
>>37073332
Fourier series and Fourier transforms are super hype. If you took linear algebra, you can identify the plane waves as a basis for the space of functions!

I'm taking an algorithm module and it's pretty fun, actually.

>>37073346
Calculus is used in all branches of physics. Hell, calculus was created BECAUSE of physics.
>>
>>37073377
Oh yeah, for sure. Still need to learn about Fourier transforms though. And I get ya, it's become a joke in my maths friend group that differential maths is just applied maths at this point.
>>
File: toledo low five.jpg (104KB, 653x781px) Image search: [Google]
toledo low five.jpg
104KB, 653x781px
>>37073054
LA Gear, the shoes with the lights, heh. Chicks handing out toledo low fives like hot cakes, get some for yourself senpai.
>>
>>37072877
How to eat ass
>>
>>37073605
>shoes with lights
Oh goddamn, those are so dope. I remember going to a club for a mandy event and being mesmerised by the light-up shoes that some of the girls had.
>>
>>37073657
Honestly no idea, never done it, always been turned off by the "poop from there" thing.
>>
>>37072877
Did you ever experience an obsession on a particular dream as a normie? I'm 20 years old and can't deal with the fact that I have absolutely no chance to become a professional player in a particular sport, I could be in college but instead of that I watch top players in streaming all day.

It hit me when I was 18. I don't know if it's because of social isolation or something else, I just want to make it stop, I was mentally healthy before that. It's almost like I became stupidly autistic at 18. Please, tell me I can overcome this.
>>
>>37073862
Yeah, but mine was more childish than that. I used to be obsessed with Dota 2, and I'd play around 10 hours per day just so I could get better and one day become a professional player. It was really unhealthy, and, frankly, unrealistic, so after a few years I realised how terrible of a thing it was and started playing a lot less. Aspirations and passions are good, as long as they don't become obsessions and consume you. However, as with most things, it is possible to overcome it, it's just kinda difficult and generally will come to you when you're ready to accept it.
>>
How the hell do I meet people. I work full time (and relate to no one I work with at all) and I only have one friend who usually doesn't include me in social gatherings. I've forced myself to go places and talk to mutual friends and they stop talking to me after a few days. I've attempted to talk to at least 20-30 people in 5 months, completely pushing myself out of my comfort zone, only to be ignored by these people a few hours later at worst, and a few days later at best. I'm a major introverted person, and i'm already pushing myself leaving the house to go to social events. Do I just need to bullshit my life up to keep their interest? This goes for meeting friends or trying to get dates.
>>
>>37072877
>121 IQ
>can't do Math
>can't work with hands, am functionally disabled
>autistic
>21.5 years old
choose my life path
>>
>>37073990
>I've attempted to talk to at least 20-30 people in 5 months, completely pushing myself out of my comfort zone, only to be ignored by these people a few hours later at worst, and a few days later at best
How ignored are we talking?
>>
>>37073927
Was it related to your lifestyle back then? I can't find a way out, did you stop thinking about that suddenly? I stopped watching sports during my teenage years, I was really productive. Two years later, I'm a psychiatric case of delusion.
>>
>>37073990
Essentially. Basically you wanna have something in your life that's cool and interesting to someone, otherwise you can keep a conversation going for some time but you won't have much to contribute to it. As for the going out thing, I'm glad you're making an effort, and I can tell you that it gets easier the more you do it. As for keeping a conversation going and making friends, it's hard to give specifics, but the basic idea is you gently probe them on what they're into, and upon finding that out, get them to talk about that, and contribute a bit of your own experience/opinions/whatever.
>>
>>37074052
Well, what do you enjoy doing? 121 IQ means you're good at some stuff, right, at least potentially? You should try and pursue those avenues, if you can.
>>
what would you do in my situation if
>you dont have a job or expierience
>no friends
>no hobbies
but want to fuck a female for free not a hooker and maybe get a gf but you wonder wich one would even want you

inb4 lift
>>
>>37072997
Wow, you sure proved it.
>>
>>37074058

Sometimes flatout ignored. Not responding to messages or whatever after talking a bit. Sometimes a sort of "soft" ignore. Like I may send a well thought message out or try to strike up a conversation, and all I get back is a "Yea" or "haha" hours or days later. If in person i get a short, quick response and nothing more. I think i'm the problem, just not really sure where I go wrong. Maybe coming on too strong and seeming desperate?
>>
i've always wanted to learn lambda calculus and computation theory in general, but i've never done so because i'm lazy and i never needed it. i know a lot of maths and a lot of computer stuff so it'd make sense for me. but i'm lazy
>>
>>37074177
>Maybe coming on too strong and seeming desperate?
I'd say so. I can't say for sure what the exact problem is, but I imagine it's some difficult-to-perceive problem with the way you come across.

See if you can get someone (ideally someone disposable) to be straight with you about it. In my experience of those situations, the people around you can see what's wrong, they'd just rather avoid it than tell you.
>>
>>37074096
Well... because of the fact that I was obsessed with that game and started dropping out of uni and was obsessed with some girl that lived all the way in the States and didn't have the same feelings for me, I ended up having a suicide attempt to which the police was called and eventually talked me down from. Basically once that happened I majorly reassessed my life and realised that I need to change some stuff. I still thought about Dota 2, in fact I occasionally still do, but I quit cold turkey for a several months and it became a bit easier after that.
>>
>>37074114

I'm glad you pointed out the last bit. I have pretty low self confidence but I may come off as a narcissist when I talk to people. I'm not really talking myself up, but i'm sharing a lot of information about myself pretty quickly while not asking them questions about themselves.
>>
>>37074151
Tinder is the most viable option. However, I really advise trying to get some hobbies/friends first, because it has the double benefits of a) giving you some meaning and letting you concentrate on your hobby rather than your loneliness and b) attracting more people because girls love a guy with a passion.
>>
>>37074152
I mean, I was asked, and I did say I'll answer most questions.

>>37074215
Yeah it's alright. I always preferred the maths parts myself, but it's pretty cool theory and honestly might be actually kinda useful, which is more than I can say for most maths(:
>>
>>37074052
Can you try to get NEETbucks?
>>
>>37074255
Yeah haha most strangers don't really care that much about you specifically, they just want to talk about themselves, so indulge them that. Eventually you'll become friends and it'll be more of an equal thing, but at the start I mostly question and let them talk, occasionally interjecting. And honestly, you've already done the hardest bit, which is starting to put yourself out there and talking to people. From here it's just a matter of time, you'll learn how to talk to people with enough trial and error.
>>
>>37074248
You are a special kind of normie. I hope the suicide attempt is not a requirement to find the will, since months I can maintain detox for like two or three days and then I start again into that state of mind. The thing is that we can't even talk about that stuff to a shrink, it's really too embarrassing, they treat schizophrenics, how could we be credible?
>>
>>37074346
Eeeeh, I never liked the idea of being a NEET personally. Even though you can in theory do things at your own pace, you feel like you're removed from society cause everyone else has jobs and you almost feel like you're missing out. Besides, having a career feels like an adventure in itself, doesn't it?
>>
>>37074319
how old are you, normie
>>
File: 1486872027828.jpg (84KB, 393x829px) Image search: [Google]
1486872027828.jpg
84KB, 393x829px
>>37072877
What does one do when their only (few) friends start to become chads/normalfags? I don't know what to do about it and I'm feeling really sad and shitty about it. I know it's a good thing for them (not for me though) but I feel so alone and left behind now.
>Have several friends that I've known for a long time
>recently they start going to party, smoking weed with chads, getting drunk with chads, and even getting girls
>All while I sit in my room and stare at the ceiling, jacking off, and being depressed for what seems like an eternity
I think I'm just destined to be alone.
Today was the first day I left my room in almost a whole week.
>>
>>37074496
At this point if I could support myself from NEETbucks I would, I think even if robot goes to work he ends up isolated from others
>>
>>37074491
Ahaha, I thought the very same thing - how can I go to a doctor, I'm merely self-diagnosing, I have no real problems. The thing is that's not true - your mind is causing you problems, pretty significant problems, and as such you have the full right to go to a shrink and be taken seriously by both them AND yourself. It's wrong to think that you don't need help because there are people out there who have it worse than you - there are also people with more than you, but that doesn't deny you the right to be happy. That was one of my major realisations post-attempt - that I do have a problem, and I do need to see someone to get help. I sorta didn't actually act on that realisation for a year, but that just means that I'm not fully rational myself :P

>>37074498
23, friendo.
>>
>>37074586
People change, you can't (and shouldn't) expect them to stay the same. You can either try to follow in their footsteps and trying to get into whatever your friends are into now or try to find new friends who are more on your wavelength. As for the depression, I'd REALLY recommend you go see someone - it helped me out massively when I was going through some shit.
>>
>>37074610
That's fair, I can understand your point of view. I personally don't agree with it, but to each their own, right? (:
>>
File: 1493860556240.jpg (37KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
1493860556240.jpg
37KB, 400x386px
>>37074586
Fuck my closest friend now talks about his gf 80% of the time
If he's in town he's either studying so he doesn't have time to meet, or his gf is visitng and he invites me as the third wheel
I'm 6 months older, but he always says he lost his v-card late while he knows I'm khv
I was glad for him but now it's just frustrating
He wanted to get his gf to play games together to have sth in common, she just said
>anon doesn't have friends and barely goes out, maybe he could play with you
>>
File: 1486856596469.png (515KB, 453x566px) Image search: [Google]
1486856596469.png
515KB, 453x566px
>>37074759
Iktf anon, one of the friends I was talking about literally NEVER talks to me anymore ever since he got a gf. He even used to consider us 'best friends'. It's been about a year since then and we never talk. It hurts.
>>
>>37074621
Thanks for the good words, I may not find the courage to see an actual psychiatrist but seeing you as a reflect made me believe a little more in my chances.
>>
>>37074759
That's a very common thing for guys to do when they get a gf - incredibly common. I know it's frustrating, but it happens to everyone and there's not much you can do about it without seeming antagonistic. Basically you need to find things to do on your own and kinda downgrade the friendship for now, if that makes sense.

>>37074831
Glad to help out in any way I can, best of luck anon(:
>>
File: 1492179408852.png (61KB, 576x507px) Image search: [Google]
1492179408852.png
61KB, 576x507px
>>37074720
Thank you for the advice. I don't really want to follow in their footsteps. I'm going to university this year so hopefully I might find others more similar to me there? idk though since I'm really autistic at making friends. I've always been alone except for the friends that I sometimes get to see (that I mentioned earlier)/
>>
>>37072877
this thread belittles this entire board. the goal is to not make anyone feel stupid.
>>
>>37074828
Mine likes to talk aloud while he's studying so he likes to skype/call me and use me as info-dumpster but that's it
He also ditched me for a while when he moved out and started hanging out with his roommate, but the guy now treats him rather shitty and doesnt care
During 2 month summer break he spended at our hometown we met twice, including the one time he needed my wi-fi and skyped his gf for like 40 minutes

Mine calls us best friends too, but I wouldn't call it that way anymore, more like casual buddy
>>
>>37072997
I'm more normie than you faggot, ask ME for advice

>Sales job, top performer
>Rich successful family
>Have sex weekly (several fuck buddies)
>attractive
>Charming
>Always called a "leader"
>In shape
>athletic freak
>more friends than I can count
>social butterfly

Wait, what the fuck am I even doing here
>>
>>37074923
Oh yeah, making friends in uni is really easy. I never had all that many friends in school, but in uni there's a group for literally any kind of people.

>>37074995
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I disagree - I think that this thread helps people just talk and help each other out.
>>
>>37075080
>Family
>Fuck buddies
I know this is a fantasy, but come on, cheating ain't cool.
>>
File: 1485749887638.jpg (108KB, 1109x677px) Image search: [Google]
1485749887638.jpg
108KB, 1109x677px
>>37075098
I really hope. I hear it's easy if you live on campus but I'm not going to live on campus. I also hope that if I join a group I don't ruin everyone's first impression of me by being super fuckign autistic (like I always end up doing)
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.