[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does expensive coffee from coffee shops really taste better than

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

Does expensive coffee from coffee shops really taste better than cheap coffee you can buy at a grocery store and brew at home?

I hate coffee. I think it tastes like liquefied ass (and not GOOD ass). People tell me that it's "an acquired taste" (why would I subject myself to gagging for months, if not years, just to enjoy how disgusting it tastes?), and they also tell me that I "just haven't had good coffee".

It's my understanding that people fill this shit at coffee shops full of cream, sugars, artificial sweeteners, and other flavoring to the point that it doesn't even taste like coffee anymore. So how exactly do they know it "tastes better" than cheap Folgers or Community Coffee, or even McDonald's coffee? Is it the branding that makes them enjoy it more? Is it the presentation, like how people tend to enjoy food more when it's prepared neatly on expensive looking dishes?

Would people notice the difference in taste if Starbucks one day switched their coffee to store bought Folgers?

Coffee drinkers please help me out here.
>>
Yes. The best in-between option is buying gourmet coffee beans and grinding them with a blender and serving coffee yourself.
>>
>>37043969
>starbucks
>coffee
hahahahaha
>>
>>37043969
> can't make a simple desicion in life without asking it on 4chan
FFS just drink it to find it out you retard.
>>
>>37043969
I only like the sugary shit coffee, which isn't easy to brew at home. So starbucks type trash is better for me at least.
>>
>>37043969
Been drinking 2+ cups a day for about 7 years now

Both quality and preparation is important for a good cup of coffee. Obviously quality stuff will taste better, but you can screw it up too (making it too strong/too weak, using inferior brewing methods, etc.)

The fact of the matter is, most coffee is terrible. The only way to consistently get non-terrible coffee is to fork over a bit of cash for the good stuff, then brew it yourself using a brewing method and strength that you find palatable. If you do it right, you shouldn't need any additions beyond milk. The flavor should be able to stand on its own. Use of flavoring is only acceptable in coffee that is low-quality, poorly prepared, or both (in the case of hotel coffee)
>>
>>37044237
>you shouldn't need any additions beyond milk
You shouldn't be putting anything into your coffee.
>>
Okay nigger here's what you need to do.

>buy a coffee grinder
>buy whole beans at grocery store (Pride of Arabia is a decent brand in my area)
>avoid Foldgers and all pre ground coffee, just throw that shit in the TRASH
>buy half-and-half (10% fat) cream
>grind that coffee up fine
>make coffee
>mix cream and sugar in the coffee, not too much obviously but experiment to find what you like
>eventually stop being a little bitch and just drink it black
>>
no it doesn't but don't even think about talking to me before I've had my first cup
>>
File: 1427769996816.png (297KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1427769996816.png
297KB, 1000x1000px
>>37044143

Yeah, god forbid someone ask a question on an online fourm.
>>
>>37043969
Depends on the coffee shop.

Starbucks is going to have bitter coffee. It's what they serve. I honestly like instant coffee better than a plain cup of Starbucks.

I don't go to that many coffee shops (donut shops are more my thing). You can buy REALLY good flavored and easy to make coffee in stores. Personally, I like Don Francisco's brand coffee.
>>
all coffee tastes like shit

drink pure rainwater
>>
>>37043969
Most starbucks drinks are espresso based. Espresso is difficult and expensive to make at home. Even if you bought an espresso machine, they take skill to use and need to be 'warmed up' with several coffee pulls before you start. It's just not practical to make espresso at home.

Yes, you would notice the difference if starbucks used folgers - at least if you don't get one of the sugary shit drinks.
>>
>>37043969
Starbucks puts tons of flavoring and dairy based sugary additives in their coffees. It's like a dessert coffee there's so much sugar and dairy fat in there.

Coffee black is bitter and frankly not enjoyable, but with time and respect, can be viewed from a connoisseur's perspective. There are different flavor and base notes that create a quality cup of coffee.

Coffee can be made into many different drinks with specific amounts of water, milk and coffee. If made correctly, all will be pretty tasty.

A regular cup of coffee you make in the morning is satisfying though, it's warm and has dairy and caffeine in it. It wakes one up with the caffeine and placebo. It's a light laxative though, so it makes me feel like I need to move my bowels.
>>
When people say "acquired taste" they mean it tastes bad to literal children, whose palates are oriented towards sweetness and bitter is unpleasant. This sweet palate can persist in people who consume lethal amounts of sugar. If coffee tastes bad and you're over 20, consider stopping your high sugar diet before you get diabetes.

Some people would notice if folgers was used in starbucks but most wouldn't because they primarily sell disgusting milkshakes that sometimes have a little bit of coffee.
>>
>>37044570
It's like anything with alcohol. You wouldn't like the taste of whiskey when you're a child, but you grow to accept and even enjoy different types.
>>
File: 1494724857040.png (19KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494724857040.png
19KB, 300x250px
>>37043969
Listen, YES I just woke up.

No, you cannot talk to me until I've had my joe.

After my cup then you can proceed to talk to me.
>>
>>37044508
>the two-thousand-seventeenth year after the birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ
>"pure" rainwater
>>
>>37043969
honestly Op, good coffee tastes natural and vibrant, kind of like a nice cigar or wood, you can tell that it's from an actual plant and its smell is kind of complex. bad coffee is bitter and the taste/smell is generally kind of one dimensional, like there's only one type of smell there and no depth to it.

starbucks coffee is terrible, they mask the flavour of bitter, low quality coffee with tons of sugar and milk and cream. Store-bought instant coffee is generally poor quality too. mcdonalds coffee is the worst i've ever had.

it is a taste that you like or don't like, it's fine to not like it. I would say it's an acquired taste as much as say beer or wine, maybe you don't like it as a kid but as an adult you do. It's not like i went through years of forcing myself to drink it until I could appreciate it, I just started to actually like the flavour.

but generally do be aware when people say "you haven't had good coffee" it's not just snobbery, if all you have had is starbucks and you're basing your opinion on that it's a bit like saying you don't like beer at all because you tried a can of bud light and didn't like it.
>>
>>37044818
>>37044490
>>37044237
OP here,

I feel like if I have to spruce the coffee up with tons of taste altering additives like milk, sweeteners and flavor boosters, it defeats the point of drinking it. I might as well drink something more tasty.

Every time I try black coffee it just tastes horrible to me.

I hate beer as well, but I do enjoy some kinds of alcohol. Just not beer. Tastes like cheap piss.
>>
>>37044936

Try literally any dark beer from britain, ireland, or belgium. Thank me later.
>>
>>37044936
well then don't drink it, nobody's forcing you. i honestly enjoy the taste of espresso coffee, no additives, if you need to add all that shit to it to make it palatable then why bother.

if for some reason you really want to get into drinking coffee then just make it really milky and over time use less and less milk, i guess most people do that when they're young.

as for beer >>37045114 is correct, cheap lager is literally the worst of all beers. try some real ale (as in, ale made with a live yeast culture, look it up) made from those countries. maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't, but at least you've tried the real stuff instead of making your mind up on bud light and coronas.
>>
>>37043969
Starbucks is bitter because they overroast their beans on purpose. This is to enforce consistant standard quality through all their stores. Thats how you can go into any starbucks and get the same tasting coffee anywhere.

Im not a big coffee snob like the chemex pourover coffee people. I have a nespresso machine i got off craigslist needed a little tlc but the espresso it produces is pretty good. Ive gotten to like it without milk mostly because im lazy to always go out and buy it. I just use a little spalsh of water.
>>
I like dark roast coffee,most of the time it tastes good enough that you don't need to put anything in it.
>>
File: DamnFineCoffee.jpg (17KB, 430x286px) Image search: [Google]
DamnFineCoffee.jpg
17KB, 430x286px
>>37043969
Starbucks dark roast is pretty solid, if you have it black.
You can tell the difference between store bought grounds and professionally made coffee, but most people just dump cream and sugar into their coffee anyway, because we're a society of fat fucks.
>>
>>37043969
Buy a dolce gusto machine anon
You will need 2 capsules for a giant cup tho.
>>
>>37043969
There are shit coffees out there, more so than people think, so if you can't handle the regular stuff if you're really so adamant towards trying it get the higher end to see if you like that. But those people aren't fully wrong anon, coffee is something of an acquired taste. For me I either take it with absolutely nothing in it or 1.5 teaspoons of brown sugar and a half a teaspoon of powdered creamer, and in my experience both of those things tend to make people gag from the bitterness. I personally think they're a bunch of pussies and posers but that's just me, I like bitterness. And for the record: starbucks tends to be overpriced shit, much better to just make your own and put it in a thermos or something. The cake pops aren't too bad though.
>>
>>37043969
>why would I subject myself to gagging for months, if not years, just to enjoy how disgusting it tastes?

Because it allows the normie fucks to face the day. The real question should be why are they so weak they cant go through the day without this substance in this modern day age of slavery

I personally dont drink it and it irks me that people are so dependent on it. From what coffee veterans have told me, there is a difference. Whether thats true, I dont know
>>
Coffee doesn't need to taste good if you got something to back it up with. I usually got for milk and cereal or crispbread.
>>
Starbucks Reserve coffee is pretty good depending on what blend. But yes someone would know if you switched their coffee to something like Folgers. If you're looking for good coffee that is decently priced The Fresh Market has some pretty good blends.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.