[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here fell for the STEM meme? >redditcucks still think

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 436
Thread images: 62

File: stem.png (22KB, 436x352px) Image search: [Google]
stem.png
22KB, 436x352px
Who here fell for the STEM meme?

>redditcucks still think STEM is the way to go and have a massive superiority complex over their choice of major
>meanwhile over 30% of engineering graduates are working jobs that don't require a college degree
>>
have you applied to any jobs recently?

even Janitors need degrees know.
>>
you guys don't understand variance/opportunity

a CS degree could lead you to work in a call center, or to earn 300k at some investment bank or big tech company

a medicine degree will guarantee you a job as a doctor but that's all you'll ever be

i took the risk, did CS and i now work at a big four. meanwhile my friends with the same degree are doing data entry
>>
Computer science here. The field of computer science is so miserably, irrevocably, hopelessly motherfucking over-saturated. Enormous mistake. I am literally going to be homeless in 8 weeks because I picked this retarded fucking major.
>>
>>36976284
Accounting master race here. Almost every single theatre, psychology, and biology intro courses at my college are full. None of any accounting class is near full. Makes me kinda sad no one understands that if you can add and subtract, you can do accounting. More jobs for me I guess.
>>
>>36976424

I majored in comp sci and am posting from a laptop plugged into the wall at McDonalds because the electricity in my apartment got shot off for nonpayment again. Good luck.
>>
>>36976424
you're confusing silicon valley with your standard programming role. you can work as a software developer in almost any company, since they'll have their own bespoke software that needs maintaining.
>>
>>36976424
I was studying this as well. Got depressed, saw no real desire in it/hope for the future and dropped out.

I'm beginning an LPN program in a few weeks. The option will always be there if I want to continue schooling and become an RN but I'm not too ambitious and think 43k/yr or whatever will be (much) more than enough for my single cyborg lifestyle of shitposting and fucking hookers.
>>
>>36976477
Wish I would have done accounting or finance desu. I was pretty good at math and I don't think accounting would have posed much of a challenge to me (even though it is apparently the most difficult business major).
>>
File: orwell.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
orwell.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>tfw went to college for the academic aspect, not for something that would get me a job
always figured I was too autistic to make it as a worker, not sure what I'm going to do come graduation because I can't see myself surviving any interviews
>>
File: coding_cyanide_pill.png (96KB, 912x426px) Image search: [Google]
coding_cyanide_pill.png
96KB, 912x426px
>>36976513
Yeah you missed the "hopelessly over-saturated" part. All those companies have all their computer roles filled. Any companies with openings has over 300 qualified applicants within 5 miles to choose from.
>>
File: AloyDelight.jpg (34KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
AloyDelight.jpg
34KB, 608x608px
>tfw got a teaching certificate and landed a job within a month of graduation
>>
STEM is a great way to single-handedly rake in $700,000 of gross revenue a month while only receiving $50,000 salary a year
>>
While the job itself may not require a degree, a degree itself opens many doors for job opportunities even if they're not directly related to your own studies. There's business majors and engineering majors who take up programming roles and vice versa. Some people go into STEM for research, some for passion, and others for money. If someone who has a STEM degree isn't working a job related to their major, it's likely for money reasons
>>
File: 1455157613952.png (556KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1455157613952.png
556KB, 2000x2000px
>>36976763
You're a college admissions employee, I'm guessing?

>"le college degree opens lots of le great doors" meme
>speaking in terms of abstract "newly opened opportunities" while ignoring the factual statistics on college "education"

Telling EVERY millennial that college is the right move was immensely stupid, so how about we stop spreading this lie.
>>
>>36976284
STEM is not worth the effort
I should have gotten a finance degree or whatever
>>
>>36976757
Meanwhile, busines majors receive starting salary of $50k+ while producing virtually $0 in revenue
>>
>>36976872
I didn't say everyone needed a degree, it's just better to have one than to not. What jobs could robots possibly get without a degree? Please indulge me.
>>
>>36976958
Let us ask Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mark Z, business men, the guy that invented the degree, etc.

Or maybe the people they do everyday jobs like garbage men, CDL drivers, tradesmen, etc.

A degree is useful, I agree, but you don't NEED it to survive. From your question though you sound like somebody who needs at least $80k a year to feel like they are surviving though
>>
File: barks_internally.jpg (68KB, 524x468px) Image search: [Google]
barks_internally.jpg
68KB, 524x468px
>>36976958
I don't know, but the entire point of this thread is that a degree doesn't help, you realize that right? A STEM degree, which has long been hailed as the most responsible, valuable type of degree, is proving to be absolutely motherfucking worthless to a large number of millennials who retardedly fell for the advice of their dumbass boomer parents.
>>
>>36976958
>data entry
>office admin
No degree needed
>>
>>36977043
Data entry will be automatized in 5 years
>>
>>36976415
anon how did you do this?
>>
Maybe you fags should've made connections and networked instead of thinking le good grades and hard work will get me that job xD
>>
>>36977092
>fell for the automation meme
>industrial revolution 200 years ago automated everyone out of a job (everyone was farmers before it)
>today, only 2% of the population are farmers
>population vastly higher than it was 200 years ago
>yet billions of people are still employed
You could seriously be retarded. Seek help
>>
>>36977162
>le good grades and hard work will get me that job

Ah yes, how could we possibly have thought such a thing? I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that literally everyone always told us that exact thing. "Work hard, study hard, and always do your best, and you'll make it somewhere in life" and other assorted complete and utter bullshit.
>>
>>36976645
What the fuck, this is very far from how Alan Turing actually died. His death had nothing to do with his work.
>>
>not going to college for the degree and learning a trade
Flying planes is the life
>>
guys i majored in polisci and want to unfuck myself. i have a 16/hr cuck job right now, and could potentially move up to a 40k job, but its mid/upper level retail misery.

is programming bootcamp worth the 15k-ish or is it a scam? i dont wanna double down on stupid decisions.
>>
>>36977205
>industrial revolution 200 years ago automated everyone out of a job
lol, you have literally no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>36976424
Computer engineering is the way to go boi
>>
>>36976477
is it too late to go into accounting as an approaching junior?
>>
>>36977300
So automation has been going on for a good hundred years, yet the total number of people employed has in aggregate increased. US population in 1900 was 76 million, while the current size of the employed labor force in the US is about 140 million. Now, if automation supposedly destroys jobs, how have they doubled within a period where they should have steadily been declining every year? The answer: your gf cucks you because your a retard
>>
File: tweet_2.png (401KB, 521x526px) Image search: [Google]
tweet_2.png
401KB, 521x526px
>>36977092
everything is getting automated, dumbass.
>>
>>36977446
I hate you so badly. Traders didn't disappear you asshole, they all shifted to online. Didn't mean people were out of a job, just that they were interacting through computer screens instead of face to face. You need to crawl back to the cuckshed you came from
>>
>>36977446
why is the ceiling so high?
>>
>>36976569
Economics or Finance would be way harder than Accounting.

STEM isn't really a meme though I would say, there's a big difference between doing a single degree in a STEM field and having no relevant or practical industry work experience as oppose to a STEM field an then an additional STEM or Law/Business field with a ton of practical internships so you don't just have muh maths muh academics to talk about at interviews

That's no different to anything but I think a lot of STEMlords think that they're a genius and can just land a job because MUH DEGREE IS HARD
>>
>>36977389
Has the labor force increased as a percent of the total population?

You have to remember if you were born on a farm, you were working on your family's farm soon as you were 6 years old if not earlier.

You did not need to get a fucking master's degree in computer science to get a job 200 years ago.

Btw, the captcha we're filling in is being used to build a training set to solve computer vision problems. Probably to build a self-driving car. That's why I recommend occasionally solving the captcha incorrectly to fuck with their machine learning algos.
>>
>>36977519
Those people are online anon, they're not sitting at desks -they're sitting at computers.

It's been that way for a while, investment banking as an industry is in a structural decline - 2009 was the cherry on top.
>>
I honestly feel sorry for people who wasted money on a degree

>be me
>left school at 16
>apprentice electrician
>become qualified, earn good money
>got fed up of that
>started driving lorries, even better money
>possible second job lined up doing social media marketing working from home
>even more money for me
>stay salty student debtors
>>
>>36977651
what are the qualifications for the marketing and how much money are we talking?
>>
>>36977519
That's a before and after photo. The first one was taken in 2008, the second one in 2016

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-01/transformation-wall-street-just-two-photos-ubs-trading-floor-2008-and-2016

>>36977603

This.
>>
>>36977592
It doesn't matter if it increased as a percent. All that matters is that the aggregate increased. You promised me automation would destroy jobs, yet 100 years of automation has doubled the amount of jobs in the US.

And btw, the captcha doesn't do shit. They have so many results right now that solving the captcha won't make their algorithm any smarter (if only Google could make you smarter)
>>
>>36977721
I have no qualifications in marketing, apart from running a shitposting page, money is still to be agreed, but it's in an area of great interest for me so I'd even do it for free in my spare time, all I did was ask and they said they'll give it a go
>>
>>36977775
No, dumbass. The percent is everything. The "aggregate" number of jobs doesn't mean a damn thing. Jobs exist because people need goods and services.

If a hypothetical galactic empire has a population of 10 trillion but only 2 billion jobs, does that mean there's a lot of jobs?
>>
>>36976415
>>36977146
I did this too, I work at a big four. I make well over 100k (won't say how much it would help identify the specific big four)

>Get a CS degree
>Study it hard, don't just "pass". I got almost all A+'s, yes +
>Study outside of school with extra algorithms and data structures, do mock interview
>Program for fun and know C not just retarded Java. But also know Java
>Do practice interviews then apply everywhere

I got multiple 100k+ offers but ended up choosing mine for location and prestige. As another anon said, if you're smart then trading firms are a great place. They were my highest offer but cost of living made them a bit lower
>>
>>36977952
You could seriously be retarded. If the percentage actually mattered, the population would have declined over 100 years, since the percent of jobs would have fell, causing people to starve as they couldn't afford food. If anything, since both the percentage declined and the population grew, and the population has access to better technology than it did 100 years ago, then automation ending up being a win win for virtually everybody. Additionally, since the number increased, automation did not destroy jobs, it actually created jobs. Can you not understand basic logic?
>>
>>36978055
No you're seriously retarded

Job to population ratio is what matters, learn to math

Nobody's saying it's bad for society or anything, just that there are fewer jobs in relationship to the number of people.
>>
>>36978078
So you agree then that automation both increases the number of jobs, the size of the population, and the technology of the citizens then?
>>
>>36976284
>fell for the microbiology degree
I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life as a kid. Foolishly trusted the input of advisers to go with something I was good at and semi-interested in. Wasted four years on a piece of paper that will never get me a job.
>>
>>36976477
You need to do a lot more than math. It's basically a step below being a lawyer if you're a real accountant
>>
>>36977261

You're right man, Turing kyssed himself for being a homo. Also I flunked out of a STEM program and have neeted it up for a solid year now. I regret nothing.
>>
>>36978078
Sounds like you might have been BTFOd
>>
>STEM
>S and M

What a joke, a math degree is worthless. Most science degrees are terrible below a Masters.
>>
>>36978419
>found the guy whose pissed because his philosophy degree is worthless
>>
>>36978462

he's right about math. it isn't exactly "worthless" - it's great to augment other skills/degrees. like a math major who knows how to code somewhat well will be in good shape. a math major with a minor in econ can go for actuarial or analyst positions. and getting a masters/PhD opens up a million doors. it just doesn't mean much if you have JUST a BS in math
>>
>>36976424
Bullshit. Every company in the job fairs I go to are IT consultants.

>>36976571
Same. Good thing my degree also lets me do a bunch of other stuff, too.
>>
I'm STEM major but I don't act like my fellow class mates. I dislike smugness and inferiority complexes.
>>
>>36978512
Yeah, but I wouldn't expect anyone to just get a degree in raw math without specializing a bit (such as actuary)
>>
>>36978512
there's something seriously wrong if a math major doesn't try to develop other skills, as far as STEM degrees go math's workload is a piece of cake.
>>
>>36978419
A math degree can honestly land you any STEM job you wanted easily.
>>
>>36978419
Practically all degrees (from non top-tier schools) are worthless. Even engineering isn't all it's cracked up to be.

>>36977042
> A STEM degree, which has long been hailed as the most responsible, valuable type of degree, is proving to be absolutely motherfucking worthless to a large number of millennials who retardedly fell for the advice of their dumbass boomer parents.

Basically, this.
>>
>>36978576
Are you an engineering student?

Half of engineers are only it from the money and the prestige, no love for the art.

>>36978664
I'm a physics student, so I have deep connections to pure math. And while it's true it's easier for you to learn about physics, you're missing things that weren't taught in math, intuition and a sense of larger scale.

Like the case where a maths friend of mine spent loads of time thinking about the state of one specific particle when we were working in a macroscopic substance.
>>
File: AT7arsP7Q2-10.png (35KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
AT7arsP7Q2-10.png
35KB, 300x250px
I don't know what's more pathetic:
The people with worthless degrees who constantly shit on those without worthless degrees

Or the people who dropped out of college and are doing nothing with their lives and constantly shilling that "college is worthless". Enjoy your McDicks job or your Tradememe with the hard pay cap, grueling days, and shitty conditions I guess
>>
>>36978664
But employers are going to choose someone with an engineering degree over a math degree for engineering jobs, a CS degree over a math degree for programming jobs, and so forth. Math is the Liberal Studies major of the STEM world.
>>
>>36978592
>as far as STEM degrees go math's workload is a piece of cake.

Depends on the program, I guess. As a statistics major I took some higher level math courses. The most difficult course I took in university was a third year math course in real analysis that covered topics like Lebesgue measure theory among other things.

I wouldn't call a math degree a piece of cake. I don't know where people get this idea.
>>
>>36978769
You'd be surprised. Lots of physicists end up in finance and IT when though they're competing with people who studied the area.
>>
>>36976284
mech eng here. graduated in 2007, but worked since 2005 for 7 years. unemployed for 5 years since 2012.
>>
>>36976571
Same boat as you, except im graduated and dont knoe what the fuck to do
>>
>>36978825
This anon gets it. Finance takes people from any quantitative background (physics, math, engineering, etc). In fact, there is such a huge supply of finance degrees, and finance degrees themselves have become so notorious for producing students that lack basic skills, that other degrees have an advantage
>>
>>36978812
I was in the top math programme in my country. hours were good and the material really isn't especially difficult to understand if you've the head for it. The most time consuming stuff was always stats classes where I had to write stupid reports and dick around with software. I just wanted to solve problem sheets like an autist.
>>
>>36976284
Are you retarded? Do you know how many physicists and engineers are working in investment banking? Do you know how many are working at teachers? At private schools where they are paid well, respected and given free accommodation. You know how many go on to start their own businesses?

Next time, try looking at the employment rate per degree, idiot.
>>
File: IMG_4725.jpg (70KB, 710x253px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4725.jpg
70KB, 710x253px
>tfw work at GE as a research engineer in their hush hush automation research program

The idea of a "job" is already far gone, trust me. You people have no idea.
>>
>>36978933
Anon, don't bother arguing with him. It's just better to let these people fade into poverty
>>
>>36977222
t-t-trips of truth?
>>
>>36978887
finance degrees are one of the least underemployed non stem degrees. quit spreading bullshit.
>>
>>36978933
Don't get so mad. The people who post these threads couldn't hack it in STEM so they dropped out and are not buttflustered at anybody who made it.
>>
>>36976284
>engineering grad and ontariofag
>see image
>look at my own life
>i work in a fucking warehouse

if you're going to get an engineering degree do mechanical or electrical. every other engineering major is meme tier

thank me later young robots
>>
File: femaleprof.jpg (422KB, 1000x880px) Image search: [Google]
femaleprof.jpg
422KB, 1000x880px
>>36976284
compares engineering to:
>Law
literally one of the most intense majors
>medicine
literally stem
>teaching
>nursing
some of the easiest majors to get a job in

none of this is making your lib art degree worth more
>>
>>36978962
You realize if this is true, you just gave away potentially valuable secrets about the company, right? Furthermore, I can search LinkedIn for all the couple thousand engineers that fit this description and let them know someone is posting their secrets on 4chan
>>
>>36979032
>very other engineering major is meme tier

lol what? My mate did a Chemical Engineering masters. He walked into 48,000GBP job as his starting salary. If he wanted to go to America he'd have been on much more
>>
>>36979049
Truthfully with law wtf else are you going to do with that degree other than law
Same with medicine - you go to school for 8+ fucking years why would you do anything but medicine, and doctors are ALWAYS needed everywhere
And teaching isn't even a degree - it's a certificate you get concurrently with your degree so I don't even know how they account for that.
>>
>>36979071
I will not tell you whether or not it's GE, but plenty of companies are doing the exact same thing and I will not tell you what we do. I could be at IBM or Nokia Bell Labs for all anyone knows. You won't do a thing.
>>
>STEM has no jobs
>Liberal arts has no money

Finance boys, the answer is always finance. Don't ever listen to these retards fighting back and forth.
>>
Any robots who's a translator here? I'm currently in my third year of stem and I want to change career paths as besides research, there really isn't much going on for a bsc degree.
>>
>>36979210
You don't need a degree to be a translator, you just need to pass the ATA test

https://www.atanet.org/certification/
>>
>>36978012
did you self-study outside of school? interships?
>>
>>36979210
Not the same but I am a medical interpreter. I work from home and set up my own appointments that are done over video. My pay varies depending on the client and how long each appointment lasts.
>>
mid/senior software engineer here
STEM is kindof a meme, sure you get paid decent money but you're probably just going to be someone else's cog forever
all the important people are the guys who did business school and were smarter than everyone else
i probably would do business if i had to start over
>>
>>36979095
>My mate did a Chemical Engineering masters. He walked into 48,000GBP job as his starting salary.

Yeah and I know someone with a marketing degree who lucked into a 150k usd position with at a tech startup in SV.
>>
>>36979479
You could still go back to business school, you know. It's not particularly challenging and you'll have the degree like them as well as experience in the field
>>
>>36979178
maybe pre-GFC, industry never recovered and not just from the regulation. go check trading volume, there just isn't the demand that there used to be

If you want to a job dealing with anything in that line of things do Accounting and dabble in Economics for interest/enjoyment
>>
>>36979588
itd be a waste of time now i'm too deep
>>
File: IMG_20170511_015305.jpg (52KB, 683x555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170511_015305.jpg
52KB, 683x555px
who /suck at math/ here
>>
File: wicker_man_poster_02-600x300.jpg (63KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
wicker_man_poster_02-600x300.jpg
63KB, 600x300px
>>36979583
Does SV stand for Slas Vegas or San Vransisco?
>>
>>36979583
150k in sv is like barely above poverty
>>
>>36979755

Silicancer Valley
>>
>>36977269
Tell me more!
I've been in college for two years, and I have no idea what to major in
>>
>>36976284

>2011 survey

This was 6 years ago. What makes you think the economy hasn't changed since then?
>>
>>36976284
How is this correct? Ontario match rates for those with medical degrees are in the high 90%s.
>>
>>36979951
nursing. literally babysit/ easy degree/ never be unemployed
>>
>>36976284
>Went for a STEM degree in Ontario
>getting a 70k/year starting job before even graduating

all while not being a normie, anyone that doesn't do stem is fucking stupid ingesting docilizing propaganda
>>
>>36980210
Everyone's doing nursing!
Also nursing are for females
>>
File: 1487571635368.png (123KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1487571635368.png
123KB, 633x758px
>>36976497
s-should i drop out or consider another major then? i'm in my sophomore year but theres no point in finishing if this is what it will be like
>>
>Go to college and get a STEM degree and you'll have money and a family while Chad works at the grocery store

In actuality, the business major Chads make huge sales commissions and get all the middle management jobs while the nerd STEMlords get replaced by Pajeet.
>>
>>36976284
i couldn't even afford to go to college

look at all these rich normies reeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>36979242
Yeah, I self studied a lot for interviews and did an internship at {x} which paid me $50/hr with overtime
>>
>>36980390
>>36978012
Dude i appreciate all this info but why dont you just say where you work? Do you honestly believe someone is somehow gonna find you?
>>
>>36976536
>LPN
LPN IS A FUCKING MEME. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. GET YOUR RN/BSN.
>>
>>36980402
The big four know more than you think anon. If I ever get to work for them, I would never post here or even look at porn. Also I hope that anon didn't post from work or on corp wifi because they will find out.
>>
>>36979032
>electrical
shit advice lmao. Electrical engineer barely has any good job prospects. And it's tough to get in as a recent-graduate. The field is saturated with senior engineers that look for years of experience in their applicants. It's just as bad as aerospace.

You're right about mechanical though. I suggest mechanical, petroleum, and chemical.
>>
>>36980513
>the big four
Im ignorant what are the big four?
Big four of what?
Mcdonalds, wendys, Burger king and taco bell?
>>
>>36979032
>>36980547
Where do you people ge tthis info from? My budy gradudates in 1 year and already has a great internship and a job lined up for when he egts out making 75kish and thats if he decides to not continue and get his masters. Seriously where do you guys get your info?
>>
>>36980553
Google is your friend and ally
>>
Canada sucks. Not really comparable.
>>
>>36980583
Again big four what? I need some context
>>
>>36980598
Big four of accounting

Are you black or what
>>
>3.8 gpa in applied math
>can't find any jobs beyond manual labor
>go back to school for a 2 years masters in accounting
>3 months into the program land a $27/hr internship
>do the internship
>get a full time offer for $55k/yr
>just have to finish the masters degree and i can start full time

math and science are stupid meme degrees. only engineering and comp sci are useful.
>>
File: 1493114169575.png (238KB, 1000x1144px) Image search: [Google]
1493114169575.png
238KB, 1000x1144px
>>36979479
>tfw too antisocial and awkward for business
Only Chad can do business.
>>
File: 1475346364365.jpg (10KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1475346364365.jpg
10KB, 150x150px
>>36980553
>>36980598
He's talking about Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.
>>
>>36980623
>Big four of accounting
Nigger no where in this thread did anyone combine big four and accounting. I asked for exactly that reason. Guessing youre black considering you cant read and assume things.
>>
>>36980646
Those porn studios are overrated.
>>
File: scissors.jpg (22KB, 401x315px) Image search: [Google]
scissors.jpg
22KB, 401x315px
>>36976415
>i took the risk, did CS and i now work at a big four. meanwhile my friends with the same degree are doing data entry

But who's happier? Money isn't everything if you're working 75 hours a week for an asshole. I'd rat5her do data entry and have my nights and weekends free for fun.
>>
>>36980105
What kind of a question is that? what makes you think it HAS changed in regards to this topic?
>>
>>36980650
Not knowing who the big four are is plebeian and nigger-tier. Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>36980679
I literally said I dont know im ignorant thats why iw as asking. What more do you want from me?
Id bet my life 99% of people cant name even 1 of those dude calm your autism.
>>
>>36980572
I did some research but that wasn't all. I talked to a couple of guys that graduated with electrical engineering degrees and they were all unemployed. I'm not saying it's that bad. It's just certainly easier as a recent graduate to get a job if you do mechanical or something else. If you also look up the average age of electrical engineers, they are usually very old with decades of experience. I suspect this has something to do with it.
>>
>>36976569

Just doing accounting is pretty easy if you know high-school Math--but the hard part is memorizing endless rules, especially when it comes to Tax. Cost Accounting OTOH is actually interesting.
>>
>>36980292
Do you like Comp Sci, or are you just another should-have-been business school Chad? If former, stick, if later, switch. CS worked fine for me because I actually liked it. Now my field is filled with retards who thought learning about data structures was just for lulz and they'd all be Bill Gates just because
>>
>>36980721
Ok but did they go to a good school and do well? I mean if they squeaked by im not suprised they didnt get hired. Not saying youre wrong but everytime this happens.
Someone says degree X is horrible.
Then someone says actually degree X is amazing.
And the thread goes nowhere.
>>
>>36980752
This has been my experience with every EE I've talked to in the past 7 years, actually. Civil is probably where it's at. Most money for least work, thanks rampant corruption!
>>
Nursing and Medicine are STEM I thought? That is what the M is for??
>>
File: jesus.jpg (67KB, 482x479px) Image search: [Google]
jesus.jpg
67KB, 482x479px
>>36976571

As an older robot, I can tell y'all that almost nobody lands the career they will stay in right out of school--it's actually GOOD to spend your 20s being a nomad, having weird roommates, waiting tables or whatever, and learning how to be an ADULT. There is crippling pressure to Find. A. Job., but more important is to Find. Yourself. that's not something want to discover when you're 40.
And lots of technical fields prefer people with some kind of Humanities/Socialm Science degree because the ones who never took a single class outside of the required once except STEM are B O R I N G and can usually be replaced by some faceless dot-head in India to do the coding. What matter is people who can THINK.

But, even if you end up selling shoes in the Mall, life is NOT about your job (as long as you can pay the bills). Find your spotlight elsewhere like the majority of people do.
>>
>>36980752
In all honesty, don't take anything you read here as fact. Especially do not decide what degree you'll get from anons posting in a dick measuring thread
>>
>>36980678
>implying the economy doesnt change within 6 years
>being this stupid
You have no idea what you're even fucking talking about. Anyone that keeps up to date on things knows that 2011 was one of the toughest time for engineers. The economy has changed, though, and they have increased the amount of engineering jobs. Law, med, teaching, and nursing will always be in demand even when the economy is tough.
>>
>>36980816
goodnight sweet autist
>>
>>36980679
wait why is no one directly saying what the big four is i just want to know
>>
>>36980816
M is for math. Medicine is not STEM. It is so big and broad that it's its own category.
>>
>>36980828
I specifically said in regards to this, you are talking out your ass, you are probably a college kiddo.
>>
>>36980844

Wtf job uses just plain "math"?

Well at any rate Medicine still uses science. They don't dance away the sickness. They use science.
>>
File: Meanwhile in Heaven.jpg (46KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
Meanwhile in Heaven.jpg
46KB, 500x435px
>>36976737

...and now you get to deal with spoiled kids and their tiger Mom parents. Have fun. but, thank you. Teachers are the most valuable element of the world, and every country but the US knows it.
>>
>>36980749
i love comp sci. i do not have the personality to be business school Chad. i hate socializing, my ideal job is to sit alone at a desk all day while barely talking. but i would consider something like accounting over comp sci if i cant get a good job.

i know though, a lot of people are just in it for the money and its annoying. very few students actually like it. i can say the same for engineering too.
>>
>>36980823
This anon, who grew up in an easy world of the past where good jobs were thrown at you once graduated in English Literature or Phil, is a deluded midget-head.
I witnessed first hand the thinking capability of a good engineer. thats some confidence crippling material. No one with a humanities degree can ever achieve that kind of mindset and intelligence. Only highly quantitative/analytic fields can provide that.
>>
>>36980863
>Wtf job uses just plain "math"?
Every single STEM job and most other jobs.
>>
>>36976477
my nigoli
>>
>>36980553
shitty meme companies you don't actually want to work for
>>
>>36977031
I hate that fucking argument. They were so successful because they transcended degrees. If their ventures weren't successful, they'd still end up getting their degrees from top tier schools.
>>
File: looky.jpg (88KB, 456x550px) Image search: [Google]
looky.jpg
88KB, 456x550px
>>36977222

I confess that this is very true. And the latest generation of parents were the worst ever. Now their snowflake kids with 4.999999 GPAs and 18 extracurricular activities (and ulcers) are being let out into the world to employers who think "That kid is neurotic as fuck, I wouldn't hire him to clean my toilets".
>>
>>36980848
But how can you say STEM is a meme degree if you're showing a picture when the economy for engineers hit a down fall? Why not show a survey from today's job prospects to support your claim? Things have improved.
>>
If you are a robot all degrees will be relatively worthless are hard for you to get a job.
I majored in accounting because I was told that it was good for autists.
The most prestigious jobs in the big 4 only want Chad and Stacy and it took me several months of searching to land a regular accounting position even after I did a 1 year masters in addition to my BS.
Also the CPA is awful and big firms are not good environments for robots
and make you work 60-80hrs.
I eventually got a job as an accountant making just under 60k after being in a shitty one for a few months.
To;dr: college and the post college job search will be hell for most robots.
>>
>>36980650
PWC, EY, Deloitte and KPMG
>>
>>36977341

It will take a little longer, but better now than getting out and wishing you'd changed your major while you still could. Expect an extra year of school but in the scheme of things it's the blink of an eye.
>>
>>36980944
Every single drop out always justifies to themselves that "X didn't have a degree and he became a millionaire" when they don't realize that those people are legitimate geniuses who dropped out of school because their Ivy League elite school was getting in the way of making money, and in no way relates to them dropping out of their LibArts degree at their local state school
>>
File: Lady NoNo.jpg (99KB, 960x891px) Image search: [Google]
Lady NoNo.jpg
99KB, 960x891px
>>36977446

Like we are supposed to believe someone named "Liz Ann".
>>
>>36980752
I didn't ask. I know one guy did internships but had no job offer. I agree, I think it all comes down to a combination what you make out of your college experience and consideration of today's job market. Some people go to good schools but end up unemployed.
>>
>>36980913

They use math within the larger context of something else, not just "math". Its like getting a degree in "reading". Like yeah. Engineering, Science, Tech and Medicine all use Math. They also all use Reading. Want to use "STER"?

No way should Math be its own letter but looks like you are right.

Also apparently STEAM is the new acronym which includes Art.
>>
>>36981008
>No way should Math be its own letter but looks like you are right.

I'm honestly so amaze at how stupid you are that I'm either talking to a legitimate idiot or a journeyman level troll.
>>
>>36981008
>so apparently STEAM is the new acronym which includes Art.
trash, it goes against the entire point of stem
>>
>>36978576

Well, get used to it--they'll be your bosses and co-workers for the next 45 years.
>>
The only STEM meme is that it's a free ticket to a great job the second you're out of school. No one should believe that because it's prima facie absurd. It doesn't matter what your degree is in, you're going to need to apply for dozens if not hundreds of jobs and really work hard if you want to do something worth while with it. It just so happens that engineers who do that are much more likely to make an upper middle class income than someone with an English degree.
>>
>>36980894
Then somebody on your future team will love you. Talent, skill, hard work and dedication are sorely missing things in the current software environment. Tell your -real- engineer friends too!
>>
>>36978769

I'm a programmer/analyst and probably 75% of my coworkers have Math degrees. NOT Comp Sci.
>>
>>36980971
This is the only reliable advice in this thread. I heard some robots working for Google hated it and they preferred a smaller company with less pay.
>>
>>36981055
In fact what provides jobs is network/nepotism. I saw normal people getting jobs thrown at them with no internships nor a good school reputation just because they knew a manager or a Vp somewhere.
>>
>>36980984
what does this have to do with google
>>
>>36981055
>The only STEM meme is that it's a free ticket to a great job the second you're out of school. No one should believe that because it's prima facie absurd.

This but I would expand on what you said and say that it applies to every single degree. Going into college you'll hear people say "Oh the pay is X" when it doesn't state that the chances of you getting that in your first job out of college is pretty much impossible unless you know the right people or you're a genius
>>
>>36981032

Tell me why math deserves its own letter vs. all the other disciplines which use math as part of a larger purpose.

>>36981041
I don't know apparently the STEM thing is about curriculum focus and immigration policy? Seems to me that if you leave out the arts you have a shit curriculum. But artists do get screwed in the job market more often than not. (My fiance's best friend is a very talented but unemployed/freelance artist).
>>
>>36980971
This isn't a sign of a worthless degree. You're degree has landed you a job approaching double the median American income. I'm sorry you had to actually work hard to get there, but that's actually pretty typical. If it was easy everyone would do it.
>>
File: Dancing.jpg (352KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dancing.jpg
352KB, 600x500px
>>36979071

LOL that someone is going to even read a note on LinkedIn from someone talking about 4chan.
>>
>>36981076
This. It comes down to proving yourself and your skills. Once you can do that, your degree will not matter.
>>
>>36979178
>Finance boys, the answer is always finance.

Yah, cause we all want to work with those chummy, nice people at Goldman Sachs.
>>
>>36981105
but this cannot help robots. we dont know anyone. we need to c onsider other options
>>
File: map-maths-header_1024.jpg (121KB, 1024x415px) Image search: [Google]
map-maths-header_1024.jpg
121KB, 1024x415px
>>36981122
>Tell me why math deserves its own letter vs. all the other disciplines which use math as part of a larger purpose.

Because everything is based off math. Math is also so advanced that it doesn't even have some categories which split off of it.
>>
>>36981170
Some people should just shut the fuck up and not lure competition to finance and accounting. Let them have their STEM.
>>
>>36981173

Yeah everything is based off of object permanence doesn't mean it needs to be its own letter. Math is one of the basic staples that is so fundamental it doesn't need a cute letter in an acronym. EVERYONE uses Math in their jobs, Even McDonalds uses Math. (Basic Math but whatever).

Science, Tech, Engineering are all specific disciplines and Math is too broad. I get the feeling you are a big math fan though so just BEE yourself.
>>
>>36979951

I suggest double-majoring in two very different things you have half an interest in...perferably at least one of them being marketable, like Business. BORING degree but not really hard and you can get an entry-level job pretty easily and then move up, or around, with just a little experience. And remember job =/= life.
>>
>>36981203
Not him but I am a STEM, but if I had to do finance/accounting I'd kill myself. I don't know how anybody could do that shit and be sane, it all seems painfully boring, tedious, and unrewarding (except for the pay but meh)
>>
>>36976424
High school senior going into CS, I've been worried about oversaturation but I didn't think it would be this bad. How fucked am I
>>
>>36980210

One reason there are always Nursing jobs open is that Nursing sucks, is fairly low-paid, and Nurses are treated like shit...by the doctors, the patients, the patients' families, and society. All for a day's work of wiping strangers' asses and sticking needles in screaming children's veins. Fun, fun.
>>
>>36979178
Shut up. You can get into finance with any degree so long as its a bachelors.
>>
>>36981244
Did you watch The Big Short?
>>
>>36981122
>I don't know apparently the STEM thing is about curriculum focus and immigration policy?
?????????????????
>>
>>36981212
Roastie spotted alert alert alert
>>
>>36981212
>EVERYONE uses Math in their jobs, Even McDonalds uses Math. (Basic Math but whatever).
Well by that argument, everybody uses tech, engineering and science as well, certainly? The reason Math is included is because it makes heavy use of "those skills," deductive reasoning skills, applied logic and above all else, capacity for meticulous, detail-oriented mundanity.
>>
>>36981290
No but I don't see how a fictional movie will influence my life.

Not insulting finance/accounting. If you like it, good for you. I personally don't see any reason for doing it other than the pay
>>
>>36981322
That's very good for me anon
>>
>>36979178
Finance is only the answer if you go to a big-time school or have connections.
I went to a state school with a lot of finance majors and most were in random slightly financial related positions a year or 2 out of school unless they had connections or a shitton of internships at big time firms.
>>
>>36981257

Uh you are literally a child who has not yet signed up for a single cent in student loans, soooo not fucked at all? Like you can switch your major to clinical lab science tomorrow and it makes zero difference? Like....most schools don't even let you properly declare a major until you clear the prereqs anyway?

My fiance is in computer science and it works fine, he gets like 60k. Its not a ticket to easy job land, you have to work hard and rise above the competition of a saturated market. Make your own jobs if you have to.
>>
>>36981257
I'm going into CS and I'd like to know this too. I personally think that engineering is oversaturated. A good amount of students go into CS and end up dropping out. I think it was 30% of them.
>>
>>36981347
Why do women write like niggers on twitter
>>
>>36981336
do you even have a passion for finance/accounting? no one does everyone is doing it for the monay
>>
>>36976284
>stem is just engineering
the chart you linked shows how people who have a career in medical science or as a doctor usually get jobs if they have any sort of drive.

>>36981290
the theme of that movie is that modern finance is a complete joke and the good people often get shit on by the dirtbags who exploit the system (not even in an intelligent fashion).

I was thinking about going into finance when I was in high school back when I thought having a lot of money mattered to any degree, but then I realized that I would probably end up killing myself before I turned 40 for one of a multitude of reasons.
>>
>>36981298

Thats what wikipedia says.

>Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM, previously SMET) is a term that refers to the academic disciplines of science,[note 1] technology, engineering and mathematics.[1] The term is typically used when addressing education policy and curriculum choices in schools to improve competitiveness in science and technology development. It has implications for workforce development, national security concerns and immigration policy.[1]

>>36981302

>Well by that argument, everybody uses tech, engineering and science as well, certainly?

Nah, people working at McDonalds do not need to do any science experiments or engineer anything (thankfully). They just need to do math. Like what elementary kids do.

Yes there is higher level math too. Just like there's higher level reading comprehension. But its so broad its jarring in the acronym. People become engineers, scientists, and technicians. Nobody becomes a "mather".
>>
>>36981347
Jesus fuck I hate the way roasties write and talk.
>>
>>36981385
I do have a passion, and everyone I know in it have it too. Competition is cut throat. I will probably never break in it. I will chase the dream anyway.
>>
File: 1453609929376.png (589KB, 770x800px) Image search: [Google]
1453609929376.png
589KB, 770x800px
Got a $50k/yr job right out of uni with an engineering degree. Pretty good considering the area is super low cost of living and I didn't have any internships.
>>
File: 1487403016504.png (141KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1487403016504.png
141KB, 409x409px
>>36981347
>literally
>like
>soooooo
>like
>literally
I can sense the basic bitch in you.
>>
>>36981398

You're either the biggest idiot in this thread or a troll. You're willfully and proudly ignorant on subjects, and you even misused a wikipedia article as a source in order to verify bullshit you pulled out of your ass because you don't know what STEM is.
>>
>>36981412
what about it makes you feel passionate? what do you like about it?
>>
>>36980402
>>36980513
I only post on 4chan from home and there's just no way in hell I'd post where I worked here

What if someone from work recognized my tone of voice? What if someone on 4chan somehow doxed me and figured out who my boss is? It's not worth the risk and you don't gain much from knowing which big 4 I work at, it doesn't matter
>>
>>36981398
>using wikipedia as a valid source
Trolls need to get better at this.
>>
>>36981403
>>36981368

1) Dont judge all women just based on me. Come on.

2) Everything I wrote is still true. A highschool senior isn't "fucked". He didn't just get fired from a dying industry with 3 kids to feed and a mortgage to pay. He's a kid, going to highschool, likely living off his mom, and all his future plans are just a twinkle in his eye. He could change them just by thinking about it. The world is at his feet.
>>
>>36981432
>What if someone from work recognized my tone of voice?

For fuck's sake, James, me and the guys already traced you posts ago and we've been laughing at everything you've said.

Btw Mr P says clean out your desk tomorrow. You're fired.
>>
The "STEM is a meme" meme is only partially true. S and M, more often than not, need grad school. T is good if we're talking about getting a CS degree by meeting at least two of the three criteria: well-known school, good grades, and internship experience. E is good aside from volatile disciplines (like petroleum engineering).

How many of you robots can't land a job because you are in facts robots and are just deflecting blame towards the job market instead?
>>
>>36981425
He's explicitly asking you to provide papers on obscure meta math and destroy his comparison to fucking reading comprehension
>>
>>36981442
I have when roasties do that 1, 2 thing to make their points. I already know how to count, thanks.
Tits or leave. We all know you're here for validations anyways.
>>
>>36980999

Trips = true, and the 10 or so you can name like this compared to the 3,000,000 or so who dropped out of school and now scrub tires at the car wash because they don't have a degree that somehow don't ever register in people's minds.
Confirmation Bias.

Get a damn degree, I don't care what it's in, versus dropping out. Even the military thinks more of you with one.
>>
>>36981430
I like analyzing markets and asset management and econometrics. I find a unique trill in that shit. I also loved financial statement analysis, but when law gets too much in it I get bored.
>>
>>36980954
>implying im OP
I studied STEM (physics and math though), sure degrees help (especially engineering/comp sci) but it's neglible and a waste of money compared to just being better at interviews.
>>
>>36981398
I dunno, if counting the number of frozen patties left at the end of the night is math, I'd say it's on the same level as stacking a burger so it doesn't topple over is engineering or changing carbon paper in a register is tech.

Also, nobody becomes a mather, but there are statisticians and analysts
>>
>>36981469

.........nobody is denying there is high level math. Its just that "MATH" is very broad. Same with reading comprehension. Want to look at some obscure meta poetry? I mean, who cares? "Math" doesn't fit the acronym, "Medicine" does.

That doesn't mean that Math isn't super hard and can get super advanced and whatever. It's just too broad and too basic.
>>
>>36981534
>math is basic
Please tell me what your highest level of math completed is.

You didn't even know what STEM was until you came to this thread. Are you a roastie, an idiot, or a troll
>>
>>36976284
>6 year old data
>equating engineering to all of STEM
>lumping all types of engineering together
>Canada
>>
>>36981520
Then why interlude on a post made for OP? I'm not denying that some degrees are worthless in STEM, like microbiology, but the topic here is the picture functioning as a misrepresentation of today's economy. If you're not OP this does not apply to you though.
>>
>>36981581
>>Canada
that's the real fucking problem here
>>
>>36981520
>but it's neglible and a waste of money compared to just being better at interviews

Maybe if you have cutting edge projects you've done in your spare time which you can show to the interviewer. I don't know how you think you can just "bullshit" a guy who actually works in the field.
>>
>>36981563

Calc II. I also took Stats, which was like its own thing.

By "basic" I mean a "basic building block". Used by science, tech, engineering and medicine in different ways. Used by retail employees and taxi drivers and construction workers in different ways.
>>
>>36981322

One thing it teaches at the having a sense of honesty/morals is antithetical to being really successful in finance.

Pick One.
>>
>>36981510
so passionate. you'll get a job easily.
>>
>>36981598
>Used by retail employees and taxi drivers and construction workers in different ways.

They also use technology, engineering, and science in as broad and vague a way as you're describing they use math, so should those disciplines also not be in STEM?
>>
>>36981534
man not even integrals are basic and they are high school tier math wtf are you talking about
>>
>>36981594
Actually what's a likely worse reality is he's right - if he -can- bullshit through an interview, there's a very, very good chance he'll be ignored because everybody's too busy to train him for the probation period and then he can do bare-minimum and keep his job forever because firing an incompetent, lazy asshole is being coming harder to get away with than just shooting the dumb fuckers
>>
File: ntr_a.jpg (43KB, 465x480px) Image search: [Google]
ntr_a.jpg
43KB, 465x480px
>>36981368

It could be a homofag.
>>
File: IMG_4921.jpg (130KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4921.jpg
130KB, 750x1334px
>>36979178
Finance is a terrible, terrible fucking idea unless you have connections.

Accounting and Finance? Maybe a business degree along side that? Slaaaayyyyy
>>
>>36981581
>equating engineering to all of STEM

Isn't engineering considered the STEMiest of STEM majors? You have people here arguing that math shouldn't be considered STEM.

Just imagine how bad the job market is for people with a BS in biology. Those suckers need to go all the way to a post-doc before they start making 40k/year.
>>
>>36981618

No they don't. /sigh.

>>36981625

??? Basic means "building blocks". Like language is "basic" but its also enormously important and complex. Duh.
>>
>>36981627
>interview: So Mr Anon under experience and education you have blanks
>Well sir I'm a really likeable guy
>You're fucking hired!
>>
>>36981643

Uh, or just a Bachelors with tons of undergraduate research experience. You can easily get a position of a lab tech for 40k+ and benefits. Just make sure you get the research experience under your belt (I think I had like 3 years all put together, plus a bs freshman job?) and you are solid.

If anything, PhD Biologists get hampered in the job market because they can't get those tech positions.
>>
File: IMG_4888.png (104KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4888.png
104KB, 1334x750px
>>36981322
I love finance. It's like investigative reporting. Accounting you get to save the company as much money as possible. There is some valor to that and I find it to be like a game. Much more enjoyable than anything in computer science.

ESPECIALLY finance, if you can get a job in finance you can have a lot of fun/interesting work.
>>
>36981661

threemonthslater.jpg
> Anon meet Anon, he's been here with the team for three months in a cubicle on another floor
> "What does he do?"
> Well, he's on -your- team now! Manage away, wage-cuck!
>>
>>36981651
>duh
Balding Nu male spotted
>>
>>36981699
>quarterly review comes up
>Mr Anon doesn't contribute anything of tangible value to the team and if anything he's a detriment
>FUCK. I knew I should've hired someone with education and experience!
>>
>>36981689
REEEEEE DONT LURE THEM YOU FAGGOT
>>
>>36981699
This is exactly what I do with minimum wage jobs. Well not the one I'm in rn, but before I found a hiding spot away from my managers. I'd go up there for the last two hours of my shift in that shitty grocery store.

Also I'd steal whippits all the time. My friend came in high one time and used like 20 of them and just threw them in the garbage can lmao
>>
>>36981462
E is not that good, only a third end up working in engineering. T is better but still only about half end up in relevant fields. And we are discussing the objective state of the job market, which is worse than STEM faggots claim, but yeah being a robot will only fuck us over more.
>>
>>36981689
that's actually beautiful. CS is like never-ending fire-fighting. Mitigate losses as much as possible. There's valor to it, but the game is more akin to a series of increasingly-stupid dares.
>>
File: 1492079984347.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492079984347.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>36981642
>Slaaaayyyyy
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD FUCKING NORMIE SCUM OUT OUT OUT
>>
>>36981720
>well I think he is still a valuable employee
>Mr.Anon I think you're right, we just need to yell at him every few weeks and he'll eventually pick the pace up... right?
>I concur.

That faggot on the other floor ended up retiring and "earning" his pension.
>>
The joke is on them, really. If I have no job, I cannot repay my loans.
>>
>>36981735
So if nothing in STEM is good should we all just say fuck it and drop out
>>
>>36981743
Nope finance is boring stay in your STEM world ok?
>>
>>36981651
holy shit fucking kys already you retarded halfwit
>>
>>36981772

I'm probably smarter than you tbqh.
>>
>>36981689
BOOOOORINGGGGGGGGGG

Computer science all the way.
>>
File: wally.gif (23KB, 404x194px) Image search: [Google]
wally.gif
23KB, 404x194px
>>36981720
>TFW you wish you had some say in the hiring process
>>
>>36981727
I'm unironically switching to finance after this thread. Thanks!
>>
>>36981743
CS is cooler than finance, girls love CS
>>
>>36981765
I don't fucking know, I did one year in ME and now two years of CS, but I'm just telling you the statistics I've found. I think all that matters is if you're a robot and don't have parents who can get you a job and you're not an autistic genius, you should just hang yourself right now.
>>
>>36981816
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
gg to>>36981689 I hope this motherfucker will steal your internship fucking cuck
>>
File: IMG_6007.jpg (67KB, 991x902px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6007.jpg
67KB, 991x902px
>>36981754
Holy shit, you think I'm a normie? Dude I just browse reddit, that's probably why I seem so cool and intellectual.
>>
File: IMG_6010.jpg (119KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6010.jpg
119KB, 500x342px
>>36981816
Yes only major in finance, that's a good goy.
>>
>>36981839

I'm switching to 2 finances just to spite you!
>>
>>36981816
I hope for your sake you're not basing your decision on watching The Wolf of Wall Street or The Big Short and that you're at least pairing it with something more employable like Accounting/Computer Science/Statistics
>>
>>36981780
Do you browser Reddit, aswell? Otherwise you can't really substantiate that claim, pleb.
>>
>>36981884
>finance
>statistics

One implies the other silly anon. Just forecast my shit up
>>
File: IMG_5913.gif (1024KB, 300x196px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5913.gif
1024KB, 300x196px
>>36981884
I made 2.5 grand in two months from the stock market and I only started with $175. Would have only made 900 if I hadn't used specific trading tactics.
>>
>>36981888

Sometimes but they downvote my posts sometimes and it hurts.
>>
File: IMG_5784.gif (452KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5784.gif
452KB, 480x270px
>>36981884
By the way that dude who actually did the big short is piece of shit. Like he is responsible for housing market receiving mortal fucking wounds in 2008.
>>
>>36978592
Compared to engineering or comp sci? All of them are fucking easy if you're not a retard. Math at least requires some abstract thought.
>>
>>36981928
For every 1,000 karma you get, you're IQ is raised by 1 point.
>>
>>36981909
If you think you learn much in the way of statistics in your typical finance undergrad you're going to be in for a rude surprise boy
>>
File: 1481814223441.png (31KB, 372x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481814223441.png
31KB, 372x300px
>>36981958
>tfw all I do is post screen caps from 4chan
>IQ of 2000
>>
File: IMG_1128.jpg (58KB, 1024x652px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1128.jpg
58KB, 1024x652px
>>36981947
BoI

Oreganow
>>
>>36981974
next year I'm going into deep shit like arima and other dynamic shit I still can't define. I still don't know if I will make it because I'm not a math genius
>>
File: IMG_5737.jpg (91KB, 750x717px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5737.jpg
91KB, 750x717px
>>36981983
Shit you've probably already figured out the earth is flat and that North Korea is the worlds first utopia, didn't you?
>>
>>36982018
That actually sounds alright then, do you study in the U.K. or somewhere outside the U.S.?

Of course you'll make it we're all going to make it anon
>>
I got a STEM degree, used it to pay off the same $20k student loans I got earning my STEM degree than became a housefiance for my fiance (also with STEM degree). Things work out.
>>
File: 70e.jpg (117KB, 540x625px) Image search: [Google]
70e.jpg
117KB, 540x625px
>>36982032
Haha, poor little brainlet running around in circles.

If I told you the truth your brain would become a singularity and kill you.
>>
>>36982035
You fill me with hope anon. I'm eurofag anyway
>>
File: IMG_5986.jpg (84KB, 508x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5986.jpg
84KB, 508x1024px
>>36982057
I was only testing you, to see if you knew how far the rabbit hole truly goes.
>>
>>36976284
>over 30% of engineering graduates are working jobs that don't require a college degree

I'd be very interested to see the demographics of that 30%.

Either way, the entrance requirements for engineering has been lowered significantly in order to get more brainlets (read: women and minorities) into their programs. At my university, there's an initiative going on in the engineering department to have a 50/50 gender split by 2020. Soon employers are gonna be bullied by the powers that be to follow suit and will be required to hire under qualified women over men.

Stem degrees are slowly becoming glorified trades positions. It's a severely over saturated market with far too many people in it for purely the money/prestige with not nearly enough jobs to be handed out.
>>
>>36982179
>At my university, there's an initiative going on in the engineering department to have a 50/50 gender split by 2020

The ONLY way to get a 50/50 split in any STEM field would be to make them middle school tier in which you get a degree for showing up
>>
I don't understand anyone who can do numbers based shit
>>
>>36981689
Anon computer science is extremely fun if you're autistic

Write a set of watertight methods on your objects, keep everything tidy and self contained, make the algorithms minimal algorithmic complexity, make sure no memory is copied extra times, make sure everything that is known at compile time is embedded in compiletime constants given to the compiler for optimization purposes, all while making sure this is scalable, both with respect to adding new features and simply increasing the amount of data being processed, as well as elegant and beautiful

Code is beautiful. With a well developed framework, you can then spawn up entire servers with a single function call. Modify its behavior by changing a single variable

You are the God of the computer, this is your domain, you entirely control the consciousness of the CPU.
>>
>>36981846
>reddit
>not a normie
yeah okay.
>>
>>36982344
You have some pretty good numbers there though friend
>>
Is CS really that bad bros? I'm 24 and started taking classes at community college planning to transfer after 2 years and get a bachelors.

Would I legit be better off saving my money and flipping burgers the rest of my life?
>>
File: Elite_Ten_Council_on_a_rock.png (119KB, 320x169px) Image search: [Google]
Elite_Ten_Council_on_a_rock.png
119KB, 320x169px
>>36980679
>The Big Four of Accounting

This is just like my japanese animes
>>
>>36982179
>At my university, there's an initiative going on in the engineering department to have a 50/50 gender split by 2020
this will never happen
>>
>>36982406
kek you're fucked change it while you can
>>
>>36982452
This. It's impossible because the majority of women don't want to do STEM. Women already go to college and have more degrees than males. They already have the choice but they choose not to.
>>
All the enginners at my company are all beta cucks dont fall for that jewsish fuckedy
>>
>>36982529
So then what do you experts suggest we major in instead?
>>
File: 1489982392774.jpg (47KB, 300x294px) Image search: [Google]
1489982392774.jpg
47KB, 300x294px
>tfw switching from cs to finance
feels good
>>
>>36982507
Change what? What fields aren't oversaturated and don't take more than 4 years of school (cause I'm old af)?
>>
>>36982595
Every field is over saturated. Welcome to "everybody has to go to college" meme. Nobody is handed a job after graduating you have to prove yourself better than your peers - which of course a lot of people on /r9k/ can't do as they spend their free time shitposting here and the ones that have jobs don't do anything beyond "gib salary pl0x"
>>
>>36982595
start by not taking advice on 4chan of all places
>>
>>36982666
Where else would you go for advice? Reddit? I'd trust 4chan more

>>36982627
Yeah I guess I will just get a CS degree because I enjoy it and going to school will make my family happy. Then I'll blow my brains out when I'm done and still can't make more than 20k a year.
>>
>>36979049
>medicine

>STEM

pick one.
>>
>>36982729
You can take general advice from 4chan but don't try to get specifics because you'll at best get someone commenting on your situation which they know nothing about, and at worst a troll.

Don't let a bunch of anons tell you what you should dedicate tens of thousands of dollars to and 4 years of your life that will follow you for your entire life
>>
>>36982595
>>36982572

How about you just don't attend college.
>>
File: iqcollege.png (46KB, 784x581px) Image search: [Google]
iqcollege.png
46KB, 784x581px
>>36982627
>Every field is over saturated. Welcome to "everybody has to go to college" meme.

Pic related is the end result of this.
>>
File: 1480654985672.png (79KB, 457x472px) Image search: [Google]
1480654985672.png
79KB, 457x472px
When people say "go into STEM," what they really mean is "get an engineering degree." Maybe Physics and math for 300k starting and if you network properly, or if you go into another field. CS is okay if you at least try to stand out. Most other STEM degrees are shit, and over 95% of the other degrees are useless outside of academia. Besides that, nursing and accounting are fine. Business and finance can be okay if you are at some renowned Uni. And becoming a doctor is not worth it. You really don't have a lot of options as far as college goes, not worth it for most people.
>>
>>36982771
....you have to be joking. please tell me you are
>>
>>36982822
And end up like you? No.
>>
>>36982924
Go ahead and tell me where medicine belongs in 'STEM'. I'll wait
>>
>>36982906
Well college is the new high school. Any job that pays over minimum wage wants to hire people with college degrees even if it's not related. I see $12/hr positions that put 4 year degrees as a requirement.
>>
>>36982983
Medicine belongs under science. Doctors mainly learn extensive biology. You sir, are stupid.
>>
sup guys I just failed out of engineering, where do I go from here?
>>
>>36983175
Whatever you do don't go into humanities and the liberal arts which are not profitable degrees and can't be honestly studied in a structured environment.
>>
File: 1491723009860.jpg (8KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1491723009860.jpg
8KB, 256x256px
>>36983153
>he thinks a doctor is a scientist

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAAHAHAHA. Yeah, just go ahead and use patients as experiment subjects and get sued for malpractice
>>
>>36983245
lel i kno right dude wtf xDD
No. Are you forgetting some of them actually go into research?
>>
>>36983245
>that normie image
leave reddit
>>
>>36983316
>some
And how many is that? How many doctors do full on research VS clinical care?

>>36983348
>get out of my safe space reeeee
>>
>>36982939
Wrong, I have a degree.

If you want to make the same mistakes I've made, go right ahead.
>>
>>36983408
>If you want to make the same mistakes I've made, go right ahead.

I highly doubt getting a degree was a mistake and not just you in general.
>>
File: thing.jpg (176KB, 1153x749px) Image search: [Google]
thing.jpg
176KB, 1153x749px
for everyone pulling claims out of your ass
https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/
>>
>>36982241
>>36982452
>>36982509
It's actually more simple than you think to get a 50/50 split (or close to it). All it takes is to basically let any female that applies acceptance into the program. Once half the seats are ensured to be female applicants, then they can start looking at the male applicants.

Granted, I'm skeptical that would even work. I'm sure they're already doing everything they can to shove women into the program, yet every engineering major is pretty much and 80/20 split at most.
>>
>>36983496
Thank you for providing this.

Every time a thread like this shows up (more or less nightly) it always devolves into a bunch of failures giving anecdotal evidence about how they got a CS degree and are still living in their parent's basements. Good to see actual data.
>>
>>36982406
Software dev is the next new boom in terms of jobs imho. Here in hongcouver, virtually all tech jobs are software development or require some level of competency in coding.

Don't know why you bothered with computer science when you could have just as easily done computer/software engineering. At least there you'll get an edge over the CS majors by having some hardware knowledge.
>>
>>36982627
This

A college degree is the new highschool diploma. It's the absolute bare minimum to be qualified for tech jobs these days. You are expected to "show initiative" through internships, relevant club participation (bonus points if you held exec positions), and personal projects/research.

That's just to get your first job though. The first job is the hardest to get. Once you work 1-2 years in your field of interest, a lot of doors start opening. If you can manage to get some pajeet tier tech job for a year or two, you can quit the job and move to doing something you want to do.
>>
File: 1490744192851.jpg (38KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490744192851.jpg
38KB, 600x600px
>>36983401
A lot of them do. We have a good supply of medical researchers everywhere. How else do we have the scientific evidence to prove what works for our bodies and what doesn't. Don't act like it does not exist. Does it matter though? You claim that basically its nonexistent for them to do research.
You're an idiot for even considering medicine to be outside of STEM. Doctors have knowledge on biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, pharmacology, etc. Dumbass that is all science. Everything they do is dependent on science.
>>
>>36983656
whats the point of having hardware knowledge if i just want to develop software
>>
>>36983616
I feel bad for people that actually believe things on 4chan.
>>
>>36983401
Clinical care and research aren't as mutually exclusive as I wish they were. High ranking residencies strongly select for for physicians they expect will perform research in the field, mostly for the prestige. At any high level institution, you can bet a large number of the physicians have their own little pet projects. Many essentially go full professor except instead of teaching the minimum they have to, they perform in clinic to the minimum degree they have to.
>>
>>36984051
>Doctors have knowledge on biochemistry, anatomy, microbiology, pharmacology, etc
And? Engineers have knowledge of math and physics. Does that mean an engineer is a scientist? No. Why is Engineering and Science two different parts of the acronym? Is a doctor a scientist? No. They use the preexisting body of knowledge that is medicine and use it to treat patients.

Doctors are health care professionals and practitioners, not scientists, you fool.
>>
>>36984127
Wait what the fuck? Where are you even getting this from? I never claimed that they are scientists. Fucking idiot being in STEM does not make you a scientist. How can you fail to understand that? What I'm saying is the health care industry falls in the STEM category. Shit how can people like you exist.
>>
>>36984209
I wouldn't say "Medicine" and "health care field" are the same though. The second is so open ended. Medicine generally refers to the direct application of this shit i.e doctor, nurse, etc - people who are not scientists. Research on pharm, biomed, etc is great, but I wouldn't consider "Medicine" to be in that realm since it directly refers to MDs, nurses, or pharms most of the time
>>
>>36984348
Wrong. It's still medicine. They are dealing with specific areas in medicine. You took a very small part of my post to make an unnecessary comment on the main topic. It all falls under STEM. Irrelevant faggots can suck my pink dick.
>>
>>36984127
It's even declared as STEM on this website. https://www.careerwise.mnscu.edu/careers/stemcareers

My work is done here. Goodnight dork.
>>
>>36984468
>it says it is on this random website i found

>specifically says medical 'scientists'

Again, "Medicine" in any conversation on college refers to doctors, nurses, pharmacists, dentists, etc. That's literally all anyone means when they say they are "going into medicine," not to work as some lab tech monkey. And they aren't even listed on your shitty website as science careers. Someone who goes into Microbio, Epidemiology, or anything like that is going into a science and can go concentrate medicine if they choose, but that does not make them medical fields entirely.
>>
>>36984638
>not understanding what a Family and General Practitioner is
Stop right there. Shut the fuck up. You don't know what you're talking about if you think Medical Scientists are the closest thing to doctors. They are listed as STEM careers. You're so stupid you cannot understand that medicine is based on science. You were born retarded weren't you.
>>
>>36984638
It's also not a random website. It's on a college website displaying STEM careers for students to pick from. You just made yourself look really bad.
>>
>>36984687
>medicine is based on science
Engineering is based on science and math, but that does not make it a science career. Medicine is based on science. That does not make medicine a science career
>>
>>36984746
It makes it a STEM career. Do I really need to explain to you that medicine is not based only on science? I thought it would be obvious, even for an idiot like you, that it requires math too. Practically everything does. Surprise idiot! Learn something new everyday.
>>
File: 1492499404797.jpg (23KB, 418x405px) Image search: [Google]
1492499404797.jpg
23KB, 418x405px
>>36984687
And you can look up the definition of medicine yourself. It directly refers to disease treatment, which is done by people who are working with patients i.e Not scientists. People in labs are merely working in "health care" or "the industry" not "Medicine"

>>36984802
>It makes it a STEM career.
Nope
>>
>>36976424
>Computer science here. The field of computer science is so miserably, irrevocably, hopelessly motherfucking over-saturated. Enormous mistake. I am literally going to be homeless in 8 weeks because I picked this retarded fucking major.

How accurate is this CS interview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TsOHyJPpw
>>
File: 1491268270278.jpg (1MB, 5628x3348px) Image search: [Google]
1491268270278.jpg
1MB, 5628x3348px
>>36984845
>completely ignores that doctors are in a STEM career
>some health care professions still fall under STEM
>still thinks im calling them scientists when i said they're not scientists already
Sounds like you're running out of valid arguments to have. Try harder.
>Nope
Yup. Anything that uses STEM is a STEM career. Obvious as fuck.
>>
File: 1492662307327.jpg (113KB, 598x597px) Image search: [Google]
1492662307327.jpg
113KB, 598x597px
>>36984905
S - Science

Medicine (the word that triggered this autism spree), the direct application of medical knowledge - not a science

Someone who works in a lab doing research related to medicine or medical treatment - Science

It think it's pretty obvious. heh, night, kiddo
>>
>on gap year
>primary application able to submit in 2 weeks
>only accomplished half the things I was "supposed" to do over gap year
>professors probably forgot about me so lol no letters

fuck.
>>
File: 1491020453427.png (970KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491020453427.png
970KB, 800x600px
>>36984984
Medine - application of medical knowledge - based on scientific studies of the human body - including biology and anatomy - directly a combo of math, science, and technology

Goodnight sweet pea. Don't let the bed bugs bite.
>>
>selected regulated professions requiring a degree in Ontario

Lol this is an extremely specific.

If you can't find a job in computer science, you need to git gud.

Of course you aren't going to get a job if all you do while in college is get a degree and watch anime. Get up off your ass, go to hackathons and contribute to OSS. Build shit. And then actually prepare for interviews.

To be fair, you don't need a college degree for all that but the degree might be the ticket from JavaScript cuck to Software Engineer.
>>
>>36981055
Not true.I live in a third world country and people from top unis literally have multiple high paying jobs waiting for them. I'm talking about engineering obviously. Also high paying relatively even though it might be McDonald's tier in the US.
>>
>>36984080
If anything; for the simple fact that you appear more employable.

What if the hardware fails on you? What if you need to develop a hardware peripheral so that your software can be better utilized? There's a variety of situations where a software developer might need to stick his fingers into hardware. It saves the company the costs of hiring a hardware engineer/technician and they essentially get a 2 for 1 deal with you. Granted you wouldn't be doing any heavy duty hardware engineering, but basic knowledge will come in handy.
>>
>>36978012
You doesn't count as a example because you are genetically well above average intelligent. The normal student is between 100 and 115 IQ wise and can study as hard as he possibly can but would never got an A in a CS degree.
>>
Why has education been corrupted, into a ratrace to find work? What happened to learning, for the sake of gaining new knowledge?
>>
>>36986191
The stem industry had a boom and jobs requiring educations starting popping up instead of hiring people based on good rapport and keeping the ones that exhibited competency.

Every job needs a degree these days. It's the equivalent of a highschool diploma. I'm sure highschool diplomas at some point weren't even required.
>>
yeah man, 2011 Ontario's the perfect sample size for a global phenomenon.
>>
Is geology a meme degree?
>>
>>36980971
i got a big 4 audit job and im borderline autistic
>>
>>36986191
> What happened to learning, for the sake of gaining new knowledge?

not everyone is a NEET.
>>
>>36987099
I work my dude. Instead of assuming I'm a neet answer the question.
>>
>>36987140

a college degree costs tens of thousands of dollars and you can't understand why people want and need it to be a "ratrace to find work?"

'learning for the sake of learning' is an ivory tower meme. unless you have an inheritance or are independently wealthy, you NEED a job at the end of your bachelors. otherwise, what's the fucking point of taking out the loans and slaving away to get a $7.25/hour job that you could have obtained without a college degree?
>>
>>36987379
The problem there seems to be, we are chained to work. We have to do things we don't like to find a job. Hmm.
>>
>>36981347
I'm going to a uni w w special school of computer science that you have to apply specifically for, but I suppose I could transfer into a different school. What exactly makes it so bad to do CS? It can't be that hard to find some company who needs a software engineer or developer, assuming you can't get placement at a big 4 or something approximate
>>
>>36978162
I have a microbiology degree and I work in biotech industry for $90k
>>
File: boss.jpg (51KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
51KB, 600x380px
>fell for the STEM meme, went into engineering technology (two letters is better than one!)
>now working a great job with a nice mix of cyborgs, normies and chads
>making six figures
Oh noooooo :^)
>>
File: kek stand.png (759KB, 565x800px) Image search: [Google]
kek stand.png
759KB, 565x800px
>>36979210

I'm studying Languages/translation. It's fun, but difficult. You need a lot of creative, outside-the-box thinking to be a translator and you also need to have a keen understanding of lots of different societal aspects, since you never know what you'll be translating. You'll possibly eventually specialize in an area you know a lot about, like legal translation.

You don't NEED a degree to be a translator, but it does help, and you do learn a lot from it. Even more if you go for a master's, plus it makes you more employable (Although nothing beats sheer experience)

Think of it as the difference between being a hedge made and a wizard apprentice at an academy.
>>
>>36981642

>business degree
>for the average robot, with no social skills

regardless of the knowledge you gain, it'll be pointless unless you have good social skills. it's all about networking.
>>
>>36981563
I've taken up through calculus 3
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-12-17-38-44.png (589KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-12-17-38-44.png
589KB, 854x480px
I'm from Argentina guys.

What should I study

Quimical engineering
Computer science?
Or what?
>>
>>36988556
Quimical engineering. It sounds cutting edge. I'm such a brain let I haven't even heard of quimicals
>>
File: 1494617922892.jpg (15KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1494617922892.jpg
15KB, 500x375px
>>36989016
Well yeah it sounds cool but I wonder if it's really a good idea.

I don't know what to study.
>>
>>36976284
i went to a business work shop and the speaker literally said stem majors are starving, i was just thinking wow this guy has his head so far up his ass.
>>
>>36976424
why is this an accounting vs computer science degree. just do whatever you're good at. if you suck at cs and you major in it youre not getting hired. same with accounting.
>>
>>36976284
its amazing how the two most growing opportunities of the future is being put down by r9k, you guys are complete idiots
>>
>>36978162
you can work for the medical examiners office or be a professor
>>
>>36979810
why is it cancer? its full of productive, smart, hard working people. youre just being jealous.
>>
>>36986191

Philosophy, physics and math majors still care about learning. They also happen to have the highest IQs at university.
>>
>>36980513
i would not want my precious computer science abilities being wasted on the big four. they can go royally fuck themselves in the ass. id rather work in california and live next door to kim kardashian.
>>
>>36980623
black people are the first to get dibs at interviews. they have organizations just for their fucking skin color to help them get connections to them.
>>
>>36980662
who's happier? no one majors in cs for the money. youre thinking about finance/ accounting.
>>
>>36980828
economy gives opportunity for 1/2 groups of careers to be more profitable than the other every few years. stem vs liberal sciences
>>
>>36976284

you gotta actually be good to get a job

that means having projects to show off and actually being informed about your field
>>
>>36978554
IT major here. CS and IT are different fields you piece of ignorNT Garbage
>>
>do engineering degree
>study the fuck out of everything
>become a complete wiz at any mathematical problem you can throw at me
>get job, it's almost entirely project management based
>any and all technical stuff is summarized in briefing notes that I barely need to pay attention to
>a management degree would have been more useful
>5 years down the drain

why does no one tell young people this?
>>
>>36976415
Should I learn SQL?
>>
>>36989519
And would a management degree have even gotten you that job? Keep in mind management is what all the chads go into so they can still party
>>
>>36989550
It definitely wouldn't have, the position required an engineering degree in a particular field. I just think it's ridiculous how different the degree is to the job.
>>
>>36979210

I should also add, a strong understanding of linguistics is recommended. You don't need to be the next Chomsky, but understanding grammar at least somewhat intimately as well as Linguistics101 tier stuff should be the minimum.
>>
>>36976284
Graduated in 2012, with great grades. NEET since 2014.

>>36976337
And 3+ years of work experience.
>>
>>36990115
>Graduated in 2012, with great grades. NEET since 2014.

What was your major?
>>
>>36980719
e&y
pwc
deloitte
kpmg

also this information is a google search away, my god if you need this level of spoonfeeding forget about accomplishing anything in your life and consider suicide now
>>
File: IMG_8635.jpg (26KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8635.jpg
26KB, 238x212px
>get mostly useless liberal arts degrees
>doesn't matter whatsoever because I still get commissioned as an officer
who needs STEM when I can get paid to shoot foreigners/die
>>
>>36977562
I am currently studying economics. Love it a lot. So far passed every single class in one go. Economics is a lot more difficult than accounting. Had an accounting class and it was the easiest one by far. Job prospects of this degree are pretty good, job offers even before graduation for a decent starting salary (40-50k). Considering to do Macro Economics as a Master's degree.
>>
File: 1460264899831.jpg (275KB, 857x721px) Image search: [Google]
1460264899831.jpg
275KB, 857x721px
Which tier are you majoring in
>>
>>36976284
>busted my ass to get an IT degree, with honors at that
>first IT job, fired after a year because I smoke pot
>turns out all IT jobs are not cool with stoners
>even though I'm in a weed legal state
>also turns out that IT jobs care a lot more about social than technical skills so as a literal autist I'm fucked anyway

Current plan is just to stay NEET and enjoy my weed and forget the whole thing ever happened.
>>
>>36986191
Learning for the sake of learning is, and has always been, a rich people thing. Nothing happened to it, except that it has been opened to naive poor people through student loans now.
>>
>>36992859
Foreign languages so meh, but it's a good, strong language and I've got ambitious self-study rigged up for the coming summer.
>>
>>36980679
>>36991856

I live in America and I do not know nor care about any of that jewish shit

never heard of any of those
>>
>>36993437
Dude those companies are huge and if you're a partner with them on the company you'll be a millionaire within a year.
>>
>>36993131

I'm also majoring in Foreign languages/translation but that's a reductionist meme graph senpai so don't worry. Also, as a speaker of foreign languages, the more you speak, the higher your value and employability increases and it continuously rises.
>>
>>36976284
30% compared to 100% of millenial faggots who cant get jobs with their gender studies degree
>>
>>36976284
Trade school is the way to go.

The problem with college is it's expensive due to demand, and the demand is there due to the ability to get a better job, but ironically because there's so many people going to college, there's so few jobs that are actually worth the time, effort, and money expended in college.

Most people shouldn't be going to college. I'm joining the military, for example. Why? Because it's a niche that most haven't taken full advantage of, so I will.
>>
>going to college when the internet is full of free knowledge

I might try to go because of the easy connections and resume benefits though

Like it wont matter if I know shit about anything but I can say "yeah I got my degree at nigger tech im special"
>>
>>36994639

Wish there was a place you could just pay to do exams at and get a respectable degree without having to actually pay out the wazoo to go to college and instead could just study at home
>>
>>36976284
Kek at getting a job after college. I did the right thing and went to grad school. Doing my Ph.D in bioinformatics.
get on my level
>>
>>36989035
Whatever you do, DO NOT STUDY COMPUTER SCIENCE
>t. taking cs at a level
>>
File: getchapull.png (174KB, 303x410px) Image search: [Google]
getchapull.png
174KB, 303x410px
>>36980646
But what about Dimebag?!
>>
File: Inflation Comparison 1A.png (72KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
Inflation Comparison 1A.png
72KB, 640x481px
>>36995006
You used to be able to do that. They were called GRE subject tests. Rick Rosner earned a bunch of bachelor's degrees from by completing these GRE subject tests.

They stopped offering these in the early 2000s when the college student debt scam went into overdrive. Pic related
>>
File: u.jpg (59KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
59KB, 640x640px
>>36976513
>bespoke
>>
>>36986484
all degrees are memes
>>
>>36989638
Yeah some engineers aren't even doing engineering work. This guy on youtube did mechanical engineering and his job was actually just sorting different mechanical pieces by size or something. He never even uses math. At least it pays good.
>>
>>36976284

STEM like anything else requires you to distinguish yourself.

Only the biggest fucking tards thought it would guarantee them a job. Anytime someone says a degree or trade will guarantee you a job is a cuck who doesn't understand economics.

Supply and demand. STEM is an over saturated bubble.
>>
>>36995758
but why? explain this
>>
>>36981947
Maybe, personally I couldn't handle all the project work (as in, I wouldn't want to do it). Math is just comfy.
>>
I've been studying CS for 1.5 years. If I continue this and go to a university to finish my degree I'll have to pay about 50k over 2 years just to look for a job in what may be an over saturated market.

On the other hand I can just drop out, go to a trade school, become an electrician and make the same money I would with a degree.

Fuck America's college system.
>>
Yep, got me an EE degree,
waste of fucking time.
>>
I'm currently enrolled in STEM and am great at *almost* all subjects besides Chemistry... seriously, I know for engineering and science you have to know chemistry but I suck so bad at it.
( / ; ^ ; / )
>>
>>36992859
Geography. I've got a comfy job lined up though.
>>
>>37000219
what are you going to be doing
>>
>>37000395
>what are you going to be doing
lots of hookers and coke i imagine
>>
How hard is to get a job in accounting out of school?

I am just going into school btw and I imagine I could probably find some internships through my cousin.

Should I start reading through books on it now?
>>
>>36977319

Going into my second year in the major, hopefully it turns out better then cs. :)
>>
>>37000477
us geographers know how to party
>>
> be me
> get stem degree
> work for the #1 company in the world
> 35 hour work week

You mad, liberal arts majors?
>>
>applied math with honors
>no jobs (also socal lmao)
I can think of so many better ways to spend 4 years and $30k.
>>
>>36976284
this pic is biased though. you cant work as a doctor without a medical degree. you can work in the it field without a degree. you can be a programmer without a proper programmer degree with very deep knowledge of math. some of my co-workers were civil engineers originally.
there is more freedom in computer science than in other fields
>>
>>36980553
kpmg, deloitte, ernst&young, PwC
>>
youre failing for the internet memes. computer science being popular is a thing but it doesnt matter if 75% of the students leave it after a semester.
>>
>people actually recommending a finance degree instead of cs

maybe its different in america but here, finance is for people who arent passionate enough to get into law/medicine and arent good enough with math to get into engineering.
its filled with rich stacies, dude-gym-bros, people who were failing with high-school math and had no idea what to do until the last moment.
i mean im sure there are a few people who give some shit about it but for the most its a lowest and easiest respected field they can get into and will get a job anyway as a girl
>>
>>36976477
I've always considered accounting as a last resort kind of thing (well second to last, if even that fails I'll be a priest) but I'm afraid the boredom will burn me up
>>
>>36981275
>is fairly low-paid
lol
>>
I fell for the medicine meme and 4 years later I just want a normal STEM degree. Jfc how can I fuck up so bad.
>>
>>37000881
Where's your 300k starting salary FAGGOT. I bet a million people told you how useless it was but you didn't listen. You deserve it fag. Could've been an engineer but decided to be an autist.
>>
>>37001673
>Could've been an engineer but decided to be an autist.
>implying engineers aren't autists
lmao
>>
File: 14282908846.png (199KB, 521x633px) Image search: [Google]
14282908846.png
199KB, 521x633px
>>36976284
>in Ontario
I'm fucked
>>
Don't go into finance for stocks
>>
I have a Bachelor of arts and a BBA. I worked in retail for ages. Nothing related to either degree.

>>36976415
>a medicine degree will guarantee you a job as a doctor but that's all you'll ever be

Not necessarily a bad thing, if you're looking at it from a paycheck pov
>>
>>37000674
it won't be difficult unless if you're an autist with no social skills. you should read books asap regardless of your major senpai
>>
>>37001026
This. CS has one of the highest drop out rates
>>
>>37001673
No actually I didn't want to go to college but my parents pushed me to and after realizong I hate bio but am great at "hard science" I figured I'd just distill it as much as possible and do math, plus it's always been my easiest subject. My goal was Actuary work, but I took a test before I did stats so I failed miserably and since I had switched majors my second year I was using summer to catch up and so I ended up graduating with no plans and I degree I am lukewarm towards at best. Every adult, not exaggerating, in my life told me to focus on college first theb worry about a job later. I never expected a great job but I also didn't expect my parents to do a 180 on me and just ignore me when I need them most.
>>
>>36976284
The engineers work as programmers making 150k. The others work in their intended field making 50k. They could also be working in UX design, marketing, or even some jobs in finance.
>>
>>36976424
This can't be true in the Midwest right?
>>
You guys can call CS a meme but I actually like it and it's something I am pretty good at based on the projects in class. This summer I plan to work on my own projects and see how it goes.
>>
>>36999578
I don't know where I would be if I didn't commute to my college. I won't even have much debt when I graduate and it's thanks to being able to commute. I probably could have gone to a cheaper college if I couldn't commute but this still saved so much money.
>>
I see all these this is a meme and this is a meme posts but what actually is a good path to take?

I was originally majoring in chemistry but one of my coworkers who served at a restaurant with me majored in it at the same uni and hasn't found a job related to it at all and makes all his money from serving and programming on the side.

So now I'm considering switching either to biology like every other normie here or just doing general Science with a concentration in chemistry so I can get out of school faster and probably have a better GPA, then go for the grad school meme for something like chemical engineering which I hope isn't a meme path to take

Someone pls help I need a non meme path I cut it really fucking close this semester and it's depressing when everyone I started uni with is graduating now and I'm stuck cause I screwed up early on. I'm keeping my head high but I at least want to get out of here not fucking memed
>>
>>37004116
The truth is everything is a meme. There is no guarantee you will get a job with any degree you have to become employable. Try to do the best you can I guess. I don't really know for sure I'm still in Uni but maybe it will make you feel better.
>>
>>36977282
it's a scam. such a scam.
it was designed so liberal feminist cucks can feel good about pumping the industry full of retarded vapid girls with macbooks and no real knowledge of anything under the guise of helping the people who need it

also they hand out free rides to minorities all the time. I looked into it a few times in the past. Literally free rides if you're black or have a vagina
>>
>>37004116
no path is as good as the shills say, but I've researched myself for two or so years on this topic, and I've found that CS has the best opportunities you can get for the time/effort put in. or at least it's best for a robot who won't have the connections to do the work for him. and if you don't want to do a full degree in CS a minor can still be good enough.

but also you have to learn to do things on your own because school doesn't teach you everything practically needed, which is also good for a robot because you can make programming into a hobby through game modding and such. and even if not, you can still go into things like network admin. or database admin. which there will always be a need for.
>>
File: 1494476918789.jpg (166KB, 852x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1494476918789.jpg
166KB, 852x1130px
>>36991942

being an officer is lame as fuck, i knew one who did 34 weeks of EOD and they forced him into a data entry clerk position

that dude died on the inside, he died, and his dreams died with him, secretly he is screaming inside and waiting to die
>>
>>37004347
What about software engineering? is software engineering a robot major?

t. robot who doesn't know about technology
>>
>>37004407
I thought software engineering was just a focus you could do in most CS degrees, but yeah it would still be just as good or even better for software jobs. but you probably wouldn't have as much of a range of opportunities.
>>
>>36976284
Then what fucking degree hsouuld we take you fcking asshole
>>
File: 1490033429886.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490033429886.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
desu this state-enforced capitalism is not going to last much longer. unemployment will only go up. we either need communism, anarcho-capitalism or WW3 so we can reduce the world population.
>>
>>36999978
study harder bic boi
Thread posts: 436
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.