[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't care if this gets lost in the sea of frogs and trannies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: mfw.jpg (44KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
44KB, 540x360px
I don't care if this gets lost in the sea of frogs and trannies and immediately goes beyond page 11. I just want to put this out there.

People often look at culture in terms of clear-cut decades that end on a 9 and start on a 0. The 70s ended and the 1980s began in 1980. It's not that simple.

I'm older than everyone here so I got to experience the 90s first-hand, I grew up in them, but more importantly I was old enough to understand the late 90s and early 2000s.

Coming at it from the point of view of music and the subcultures based on music, the mid-late 90s and early 2000s are nearly indistinguishable. Sure you had boy bands and pop music all over - but you more importantly had a mainstream alternative culture. You had your Marilyn Mansons and System of Downs and Nu-Metal and Emo and Pop-punk and all of that. You can easily look on it now and go "ugh, cringe!" but it was at least something new. Something that appealed to robots and failed normies of those days. There wasn't really anything like that before. it was simultaneously counter-culture and mainstream culture.

It's 2017 now and the culture hasn't changed one bit at all since the late 2010, it's now nearly the 2020s. There is no difference between now and 2009-ish.

What the fuck is today's music? It's still Justin Bieber and Skrillex. That shit was a decade ago already. Even what's left of metal and punk and rock are still the exact same bands as 20 or even 30+ years ago. it's still Green Day and Blink 182 and Sum 41 and Metallica and Slipknot and Korn.

When will there be anything new? When will the culture change? Are we stuck here?

Anyways thanks for reading my blog.
>>
Just turn off your brain Goy
>>
>>36953998
>still Justin Bieber and Skrillex
have you listened to any music at all lately? The culture defining stuff is probably the collection of new rappers popping up such as lil yachty, xxxtentacion etc
>>
File: IMG_0741.jpg (30KB, 404x275px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0741.jpg
30KB, 404x275px
>>36954058
>xxxtenacion
Kill your life.
>>
The more decentralized a society becomes, the weaker any sort of counter-culture becomes. Back then, high society was more or less a clearly defined thing, but now with the Trump administration and the rise of social media, it's less clear than ever.

To be honest, I'm not sure. 90s and 2000s seems to be much more optimistic and varied, and ours is lifeless in comparison.
>>
>>36954116
youre just like the people back then who thought elvis isnt real music and was just a stupid punk. you dont understand it
>>
>>36953998
You almost had trips.

But in a way I think our cultural revolution has focused on the Internet and not as much music nowadays. Seriously, everyone has access to nearly every single major and minor artist you could dream of. The only thing you'll have trouble finding is local bands. With this innovation, people don't have to listen to the radio and search hardcore for new songs as they just appear.

EDM is also on the fallout, as it's reached saturation point and rave culture is now just a normie thing when it was once something weird to go to. Source: raved for a bit and heavy into EDM for a while.

I'd say this un-iconic era is due to the massive influx and accesibity in information. What's special when you have everything at your fingerprints? Even memes now merely come and go like fashion and have reached a meta level with the normie crowd as they eat it up copy and pasted photos with different text and are self aware of it.

It'll be interesting to see what entertainment will be like in years to come as the medium is evolving.
>>
>>36953998
Cultural Anthropology Anon, there's a whole field that studies this shit. Culture is a process, its ever evolving.
>>
>>36954140
Wow edgy black boi rapper speaks his problems and is a sell out fuck. Lil yachty has no nothing but generic lines and autotune. Jesus fuck you underage fags need to find better rappers before trying to pull that suit.
>>
>>36954266
youre just proving my point by showing you dont get it
>>
>>36954182
>What's special when you have everything at your fingerprints?

That's very very true.

In the 90s and early 2000s there was a pride and joy in being the first one in your group of friends or in your town to discover a new band or new genre of music.

I remember the only kid who listened to Eminem when Eminem literally had just come out in the mainstream was this fat Russian kid who played chess and liked Eminem because it was an outlet to get his anger out after failed normie picked on him. I was the only kid who listened to Insane Clown Posse. We didn't even know that ICP and Eminem were beefing back then since they were both out of the horrorcore scene to some degree or another.

Not just with music but like TV as well, it was a cool secret club to be one of those few kids who stayed up all night to watch Conan or something and was all tired the next day but managed to listened to some great jokes. These days you can just watch that shit on the official youtube channel.

The 90s EDM scene was cool as hell too. happy Hardcore is one of my favorite genres.

I also noticed that culture tends to come and go in cycles, but the pendulum has yet to swing back. Maybe it won't swing back and it's just stuck or the next swing will be even further back.
>>
i think the mainstream, for whatever reason, somehow may have stagnated, but its not like new music isnt being made or that new bands arent being born.
>>
>>36954140
Xtenacion is a confirmed Jew cock sucker. This is not semantics, he sucks Jew cock to ensure his "music" reaches the masses.
>>
>Not listening to viking metal and german power metal

If yah dig deep enough into any genre you'll find your anti-normie band.
>>
>>36954323
If we don't get it, please explain the deeper meaning behind his music and how he can be a musician simply by looping stock GarageBand audio tracks over an audio file of him speaking quickly about how he can't keep his dick in his pants.
>>
>>36954259
Yeah I thought about studying that in college and university, but god damn writing papers was such a fucking hassle, especially before wikipedia.

>>36954137
Bush, 9/11, the Iraq War - it was much more dramatic than Trump being Trump.

Even before that you had things like the 1999 Seattle WTO protest that were the first protests organized through the internet (to some degree) and it was massive and unheard of. You also had the columbine shooting that same year that wasn't the first school shooting but was definitely the most culturally impactful school shooting ever.
>>
>>36954443
its aggressive in a way that isnt stale and cheesy like metal
>>
>>36954381
>dig deep enough

That's the thing though 15-20 years ago you didn't have to dig deep at all. It was all on MTV playing alongside N'Sync and Britney Spears.
>>
>>36954479
That literally answers none of the questions that have been posed.
Metal, punk, etc. all have a message behind the music and actually require talent/skill to play and perform.
Try again.
>>
File: rbt22.jpg (11KB, 169x204px) Image search: [Google]
rbt22.jpg
11KB, 169x204px
>>36953998
>It's still Justin Bieber and Skrillex
Not really, even the Biebs changed his style and his ultra famous and very young so he's not going anywhere.

Now it's all about rap/trap in the states, a couple of years ago EDM was very big but now it's all about them niggas.
You can clearly see culture transforming into: in one side to numales and tumblrinas, these are the normies of today in the west and at the same time the Kardashian style/instagram thot and gym goers getting bigger every day (prolly already peaked in popularity tho)

Last year was all about being contrarian and ironic, with all the trump shit fedoras became alt right and became even more contrarian

You sound unaware of today's culture
>>
>>36954558
having a message behind the music is literally irrelevant and doesnt matter when considering whether something sounds good or not. Finding the niche type of music where he is able to express his aggression and performing it is the talent. what exactly is your question?
>>
>>36954558
punk requires little skill, its mostly about the energy. maybe one could make the same argument for that type of music which you dont like.
>>
>>36954628
> even the Biebs changed his style

lol no, it's not like he's collaborating with Marilyn Manson now. He's still the singing & dancing pop boy even though he's like 25 now.

>Now it's all about rap/trap in the states

You say that as if rap hasn't been a part of mainstream culture for decades. Putting a "t" in front of it isn't much of a change.

I will admit that it is totally different from say Tupac & Biggie or Wu Tang from the 90s, these days it's only about bling and bitches in the club, but even all that shit started 15 years ago with 50 Cent and G-Unit.

>You can clearly see culture transforming into: in one side to numales and tumblrinas

It's insignificant, especially outside of the internet. Same with alt-right pepes.

>, these are the normies of today in the west and at the same time the Kardashian style/instagram thot and gym goers getting bigger every day (prolly already peaked in popularity tho)

Again, just a repetition of what Paris Hilton was doing back in like 2001.
>>
>>36954763
>just a repetition of what Paris Hilton was doing back in like 2001.
You are either dumb or young to not realize the cyclic nature of trends
>>
File: 9mi2uuvsseny.jpg (115KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9mi2uuvsseny.jpg
115KB, 1080x1080px
>not exclusively listening to edgy bieber
>>
>>36954812
>the cyclic nature of trends

My point is is that it never cycled out. The only difference is that now everyone acts like Paris Hilton.
>>
>>36955004
Ok dude, everything is still the same despite obvious differences you won't acknowledge
>>
>>36955018
>despite obvious differences

"Justin Bieber hit puberty and still does pop music"

"rap is still popular and hasn't thematically changed since 2003"

okay
>>
>>36955097
>pop popular since the 60s THAT MEANS NOTHING CHANGED
ok
It's ok old man, just do your own thing, go sunbath or some old man shit you like to do, like do a barbeque with your fat friends or go bird spotting
>>
>>36955134
>>pop popular since the 60s

My very first post explains that pop (popular, i.e. mainstream) music was drastically different in the late 90s and very early 2000s, went back to normalcy and hasn't change since.

Maybe you should read it more carefully.
>>
>>36953998
Anon sorry but you're out of the loop because you're too old now

I grew up in the 90s and have observed this all, and the culture is changing a LOT, it's changing more and more you're just not up to speed on it so it's blurring together for you
>>
>>36955367
This, op just leave 4chan you are an old person now
>>
>>36955097
It has changed a lot. It has changed to some sort of trap/psybient crossover and is a whole new genre. My brother is into it idfk

But it's different
>>
>>36955367
>you're too old now
>I grew up in the 90s

So you're my age. You're also old.

Or do you mean "I'm a 90s kid that was born in 1998 and grew up in the more or less 24 months that were left in the 90s"?
>>
>>36955413
Yes, I'm also old, but my young siblings keep me in the loop through observing their annoying bullshit, I'm from 93 and let me tell you you have the completely wrong viewpoint

There is a very distinct feel of even just the music from early 2000 to just before 2010, and it's happening even more each year

Also electronic is not "dying" idk if it's you who posted that but it's just getting more splintered into subgenres, there are so many it's ridiculous

The radio is not the culture anymore, only old people listen to it. These kids all use soundcloud and shit.
>>
>>36955392
It's not substantially different. Already back in like 2011 he was saying that he wanted to do "Skrillex type-stuff" which is just code for "whatever is popular in the current year". That's what pop music is.
>>
>>36955488
Skrillex is dead, hes been dead forever whens the last time you heard of him? He's shit anyway he was never good
>>
File: JEJ.jpg (60KB, 500x495px) Image search: [Google]
JEJ.jpg
60KB, 500x495px
>>36955448
>I'm from 93

hoohoo

oh boy

the little boy who was 7 years old at the turn of the century has a iron-tight grasp of the culture of that time.

What music were you listening to when you were 5 years old?

Did you poo in your diapers when you saw The Matrix?

Did the 9-11 terror attacks ruin your nap time in kindergarten?

Did your mommy give you a permission slip to go protest the Iraq war?

thanks for the laugh
>>
>>36953998
Just because you don't know how to access youth culture or whatever doesn't mean it doesn't exist and it isn't dynamic and doesn't change, you fucking moron.
>>
File: t h i n k i n g.png (176KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
t h i n k i n g.png
176KB, 1280x720px
>>36955568
He won two Grammys last year, but sure yeah he's been dead shit forever
>>
>>36954479
>it's aggressive
It seems like you think this is an indicative of quality. I sure hope I'm misunderstanding.
>>
>>36953998
The internet and social media has killed cultural evolution, that's why it's stagnant and not going anywhere.
>>
>>36955640
Yes, grammys are forefront at the minds of the youth culture of the 2015+'s /s
>>
skrillex? bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHCc10wVZi0
>>
>>36954558
>metal
>skill or depth
Cmon mate
>>
>>36955679
You were saying that he wasn't popular or relevant any more. Not anything about youth culture.

But the Grammys he won were for that project he did with Bieber.

Now I'm expecting you to argue that only 30 year old soccer moms care about Bieber.
>>
>>36953998
It is changing just as much as it was then, you're just like every other aging person who starts to lose touch and stagnate, but your own stagnation keeps you from realizing it as you lose more and more self-awareness with age, so you look to world around you instead and mistake blindness for darkness.
>>
>>36953998
Yeah I hear what you're saying. Radio stations always have adverts saying things like the top hits from "80s, 90s and today"

So, "today" is a period of nearly 20 years? How can that possibly have happened?
>>
>>36953998
Things are actually evolving in pretty different directions depending on regional/ethnic subcultures.

If you haven't noticed,

>Suburban people are moving more towards trap and other forms of new rap/hip-hop
>Rural people are moving away from the 2000's pop-country and more towards an aggressive form of folk/bluegrass
>Urban people have been mixing trap/rap with electronic/pop sounds
>Hispanics are bringing norteno/tejano hard from the south

You're just not paying attention.
Despite the internal globalization pushed by the internet/social media, regional/cultural divide in the US is at an all time high.

Eminiem, ICP, Lincoln Park, MCR, and the rest of the emo boy bands etc... were popular among anyone and everyone back then because the United States had a more clearly defined "main stream".

Nowadays if you ask 10 people from New york and 10 people from Texas their favorite bands you'd probably get much more wildly different answers than 15 years ago.
>>
>>36955860
This

Furthermore, the internet is speeding this up. Anyone can join a community for any obscure niche interest they want, be it music or otherwise, and find a huge group of people who also like it

There is more music than ever, with more diverse genres than ever. Anyone can record music now and release it online to everyone in the entire world, whereas decades ago it was more limited because unless you were rich it literally had to be approved by a record label to distribute it for you, or else nobody will ever hear it. Now anyone can hear it.

There are so many genres it's overwhelming
>>
Who the fuck cares what kind of music the goyim are listening to. Pathetic.
>>
File: iamamiwhoami.jpg (220KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
iamamiwhoami.jpg
220KB, 2048x1152px
>>36953998
Stop listening to radio top 100 and VIVO. Stop going with the masses for your music. Go explore new music and find the small independent artists. It is out there, it is great, and it is original.
>>
>>36953998
A lot of change in music was due to changing technology. For example the transition from a pop/rock band to a DJ/producer.
This occurred as computer music was starting to sound better and was cheaper and easier.

For now there won't be a big change given that (I dare say) we have reached the limits of technology when it comes to music so innovation is rarer.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.