[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a comfy /autism/ thread? When were you diagnosed?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1494352812109.jpg (80KB, 519x577px) Image search: [Google]
1494352812109.jpg
80KB, 519x577px
Can we have a comfy /autism/ thread? When were you diagnosed? How has it affected your life? What are some autistic things you do?

>diagnosed as an aspie at 13
>pretty much can't into social interaction, freeze up when someone asks a question, never know what volume to speak at so people can hear me
>have to manually move my arms from side to side when walking so I look normal
>wear the same thing every day
>if anything in my room is moved I freak out and get the feeling of impending doom
>get angry and uncomfortable when anyone plays music in public (especially with vocals)
>math wizard
>hit myself in the head when I get mad (like from losing at a video game)
>>
bumping originalIy
>>
Trippple dubs anon, THis is ORGIGINANAL DAMNIT
>>
>>36923999
Holy shit is the hitting yourself in the head thing common amongst aspies? I've always thought I might be an aspie based on my interactions with people growing up, and I have the same problem. Whenever I lose at shit I'll hit myself in fits of rage that I literally cannot control other than just not playing games.
>>
>>36923999
Be careful hitting yourself in the head, OP. Repetitive head trauma can lead to dementia later in life. I'm sure a slap every once in awhile is fine, but don't get carried away.
>>
>>36923999
I got diagnosed when I was 5, but I wasn't really aware of what that meant on the level of meta-cognition until I was 13 and realized I really fuckin needed to change.

Had the whole nine yards. No self-awareness, stimming, meltdowns, weak theory of mind, few social needs, obsessive behavior. It was really bad when I was young. But I think I've been born lucky, because somehow I've grown into being passably normal as an awkward, reserved person. I've been known as the "nice but wierd guy" since highschool. And I guess that's what I want, because now I mostly keep people politely at an arm's length until I can vet out whether or not they'll be cool with my eccentricities.

I hope I can keep working on building up my social skills and self esteem without losing sight of who I am. How do the rest of you cope? I'd love to know.
>>
>>36923999
I'm always confused when people say they're diagnosed. Do you need a tard wrangler? Were you watching Dora the Explore at age 20? a buddy of mine has 2 autistic family members and I doubt they can read or write.
>>
>>36926249
OP here I was actually the "nice but weird guy" at the start of high school, but then I stopped talking to my "friends" and then no one at all, and then was just known as the guy that hated everyone. There was this one time I heard a roastie talking about how I was really creepy. Feels bad man. I still have no IRL friends and don't talk to anyone. I'm a NEET so I barely go outside anyway.
>>
I was 6, apparently the not responding when your name is spoken alerted them. Fortunately I mostly got the perks of autism as far as hyper self awareness and detached emotion goes. The stimming and curious manner of speaking isn't as big of an issue as you'd think, and I wear sunglasses to get around the allistic obsession with looking at eyeballs.

>>36926294

The diagnostic criteria was overhauled sometime in the 90s so a lot of us got caught up in the psychiatric meat grinder. It takes profound retardation to need a handler. Autism is a spectrum so not all of us would need to be wrangled. Think like ADHD kids, basically normal but one of these things is not like the others. You may have heard the outdated term 'aspergers' used to refer to high functioning autists. It's a developmental disorder like retards have but we autists are special retards and our retardation manifests in different ways. It's a communication disorder where emotions rise from our self and environment instead of from others absorbing like a sponge. A lot of the ones here are the mute kind with a single obsession. This flavor is usually able to live on their own and earn a living wage but does take consideration for occupation. Menial repetitive tasks work, boring law, policy, etc., engineering, stem, computers, those types of professions.
>>
>>36923999
Age one or two, I was real lucky
>Got into "experimental" early prevention (whatever) therapy as a tot
>Literally an A+++ student until 4th grade
>Get beat up by all my friends
>Get people shy
Hmmmm. Most of my autism traits are gone, except I rock back and forth
>>
>>36926721
>psychatric meat grinder
good one.
>"Does your son like to run outside? He has ADHD!"
>>36926294
My mother is very, very intelligent. I would scream when held and flip the hell out if she put socks on my feet.
>>36926458
Go outside, meet people once a week
>>
>>36926813

I forgot to add that sensation part, it's a communication and sensation disorder. Textures, light, sounds, all cranked up to eleven on autism and can easily become unbearable.
>>
>>36923999
>When were you diagnosed?
When I was 22. Originally it was PDD-NOS, but with a more in-depth analysis it was changed to Autistic Disorder. The psych said it most likely would have been Aspergers if the diagnosis still existed since I just barely fit the childhood developmental delay criteria.

>How has it affected your life? / autistic things you do?
- breaking routine and doing new things is incredibly hard for me. Because of that I've never had a job and still live with my parents
- also have intense social anxiety which is a pretty terrible combination. Constantly anxious about autistic traits in public and whether or not people can observe them which makes everything worse
- dropped out of college because I couldn't handle the social aspect (wish I had been diagnosed back then, it would have been a lot easier since schools are legally obligated to accommodate for autists)
- often stimming by flipping and spinning objects while at my desk or swinging my arms back and forth in unison while standing
- wear the same thing everyday (black basketball shorts and black t-shirt)
- if there's more than one source of sound going on I get overwhelmed and can't pay attention to any of it (often can't follow conversations because of it)
- terrible at social stuff in general - misread social cues, can't look people in the eye, absolutely abysmal at speaking to people
- used to have worse symptoms when I was a kid: socks and clothing tags made me throw tantrums, shoelaces had to be in perfect order (could spend 10 or so minutes fiddling with them until they sat just right), food had to be eaten very specifically

>>36926294
Specifying that you're diagnosed doesn't indicate the severity at all. It just means you actually have autism as confirmed by professionals. People with mental illness have to make the distinction now since so many fuckheads think they can accurately self-diagnose themselves
>>
>>36923999
I was diagnosed with HFA/assburgs at age 8. Back then I had the following problems.
>Difficulties with social interaction
>Classmates saw me as weird
>Meltdowns over tiny things
>Defiance to authority
>Obnoxious and hyperactive

I'm 19 now, and the following things have stuck with me over the years.
>Can't into eye contact
>Easily distracted
>Annoyed when someone interrupts me
>Annoyed when schedule changes
>Selective hearing (a blaring fire alarm seems louder to me than to others, yet I can't understand someone whispering to me in a quiet room)
>Can't tell if someone is lying or not
>Often can't tell sarcasm or I interpret shit literally

Things that have just surfaced in the past few years include the following.
>Crippling social anxiety
>Excessive concern with trying to make my shitty appearance less shitty
>Takes a while for me to respond to someone
>Talking too much when I should shut up
>Failing miserably at trying to be funny
>Being too forgiving and flexible to others

There's more but I can't be bothered to list them all. Needless to say I'm fucked up.
>>
>>36927675
>can't look people in the eye
Same, it's pretty much impossible for me. I always look off to the distance when someone attempts to talk to me and shift my eyes over to them for like a millisecond sometimes. In high school when not working on anything I just stared at the floor or wall, if anyone was in my way I had to switch my view to something else.

I can't do tags either. All my clothes have tags that are right on the shirt and not an external thing. At my desk I have a shit ton of rubik's cubes/ripoffs and I can solve them all, but usually I just end up repeating a couple algorithms over and over again on the same puzzles. I used to bite the dead skin off my fingers a lot and got infections regularly.
>>
>>36927675

Good point, severity is under axis v in the old DSM. That's the global assessment of function. It's pretty nifty because no matter the disorder it gives a quick snapshot of life on scale of JUST to Rainbows and Unicorns.
>>
I don't want to be autistic anymore.

The comfy has gone away.
>>
File: AutisticStimming.png (284KB, 864x863px) Image search: [Google]
AutisticStimming.png
284KB, 864x863px
https://desuarchive.org/r9k/thread/35024651/#35024651

Shout-out to the OP of this thread from a few months ago, wherever he is. I think about it a lot. It was a nice thread
>>
>tfw so autistic can't even look videos of people in the eye
>>
File: 1492783905840.jpg (55KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1492783905840.jpg
55KB, 604x453px
>>36923999
>When were you diagnosed?
16 going on 17

>How has it affected your life?
I have no friends and cant talk to people. In high school i hid in the classroom during lunch even though we weren't supposed to be in there.
>mfw prone waiting for prefects to pass

>What are some autistic things you do?
exist ;_;
>>
>>36923999
Aspie here. Diagnosed at 7 because i refused to socialize. Also was highly intelligent at a young age, and still somewhat today. I memorized every country recognized by the UN by age 7.

My social skills are meh. Around guys, im perfect most of the time. Can talk sports, politics, hold intelligent discussion. However, put a woman into the mix, and i'm done. Cant speak - worst part is i think i might be attractive, because they always seem to try to start conversation.

When my senses are overloaded, i enjoy solitude, listening to classic obscure 70's prog rock. I put my aspieness towards music history as well - used to play vidya and like OP, hit myself when i fucked up, so i cut it out completely.

My diagnosis was rated mild, so i get the intelligence benefits without being a total vegetable. It's pretty nice, but i still refuse to be friends with a woman, and i refused to go to college.
>>
>too autistic to live a self-sustaining normal life
>not autistic enough to get autismbux

Thanks Obama
>>
Diagnosed at 12. I'm 18 now.

How has it affected me? Well, my social life is practically non-existent.

I'm bad at making eye contact, I jumble up words and I get distracted easy.

Eye contact to me is like... having everything about that person loaded onto you at once. It's like looking at the sun.
>>
File: nick1-big.jpg (72KB, 560x457px) Image search: [Google]
nick1-big.jpg
72KB, 560x457px
>>36923999
>pic related
Holy fuck I only had to glance at this for a thousandth of a second before I knew whose masterpiece it was
>>
>>36923999
I was diagnosed when I was a toddler. Grew up with an unhealthy obsession with Sonic and Nintendo (there's truth to every stereotype) and while I've gotten much better at hiding my power level it's only because I learned to keep my mouth shut and force myself to rigidly stick to to the topic at hand (e.g. a class project) because I have no life experiences and will have ntohing to contribute besides vidya trivia.
>>
I've taken tons of of Internet tests and they all tell me I have autism, what are some signs that I may actually be on the spectrum/ask me questions to help determine if I may have autism.
>>
>>36931888
Get diagnosed. No one can tell you but a proper professional
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.