[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My little brother (20 year old) keeps on trying to become a pro-gamer.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

File: 1494403110328.jpg (127KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1494403110328.jpg
127KB, 640x427px
My little brother (20 year old) keeps on trying to become a pro-gamer.

He hasn't gone to college at all, he has made a few hundred dollars off his "pro gamer career" from LAN events in the last 2 years, otherwise he is a fucking NEET.

Parents keep telling me they're going to kick him out soon if he doesn't get a job.

He literally believes it's possible for him to make a living out of gaming. He can't accept the reality that it's literally not going to happen for him. How many years will this delusion take to wear off until he finally wakes up and realizes his pissed his 20's away trying to become a pro gamer and he has absolutely nothing to show for it?
>>
>>36923676
He's become warped anon. This illusion will never go away as long as pro gamers exist I imagine
>>
>>36923676
He'll probs try and become a streamer or youtuber. If he spends money on a camera move out.
>>
>>36923676

>nothing to show for it

He made a few hundred dollars
>>
File: 1494403930591.jpg (31KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
1494403930591.jpg
31KB, 600x457px
You young fags just don't get "it" do you?

You're waiting around taking it easy, being comfortable (muh pro gamer career), thinking you can just get up and start at 25 or something, yeah, it's all going to work out itself, right?

Yeah you're going to be in for one big shock when you wake up in a few years time (it'll happen fast, trust me) and realise you've done absolutely nothing with your life and you're years behind your peers.
>>
>>36923676
Oof. Just sit down with him and give him a talk.
Ask him stuff like
>"Why should people watch your videos?"
>"Are you special in a signifigant way with your videos?"
>"Are you ready to have little to no privacy if you get big?"
>"Kys?"
All that stuff
>>
How do one even become a pro gamer? If your little brother earns nothing how do you get to a top level?
>>
>>36923676
This is how qt traps are born.
>>
>>36923676
pro gamers, more chance of getting into harvard pretty sure the chances are lower for pro gamer sponsorships. Id litterally like to compare those two chances.
>>
>>36923676
What game? Originallyly
>>
>>36923676
what game does he play?

who is he?

id suggest he get a simple job at least.
>>
>>36923799
You can't even get top level unless you have money to support yourself. Low level / unknown teams don't have sponsors willing to pay them traveling/hotel expenses which means if you're trying to make it into the pro-gamer scene you must have the funds to support your own costs associated with traveling.

I know a guy that just missed out on 2 tournaments because he couldn't afford to travel to go compete. The nigga even had the audacity to try to ask me for money, fucking NEET get a job and pay for your own traveling. I'm not going to give you $2000 so you can go compete in some shitty tournament where the cash prize for 1st is like $1000.
>>
>>36923860
>>36923876
he plays overwatch lmao
>>
>>36923784
it'll be alright, eventually there will be no jobs left to take due to automation and the richer classes will have to give us food and basic medical care so we won't make too much of a fuss. There's little point in thriving in society, especially nowadays.
>>
File: агитпункт.jpg (90KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
агитпункт.jpg
90KB, 467x700px
>>36923676
>He literally believes it's possible for him to make a living out of gaming.

top kek und top zozzle.

I remember in HS times when the "breakdance" came into the trendy shit every teen had to know, and there were some schoolmates who thought they could make a living out of "breakdance".
>>
>>36923676
Maybe if he had an older brother supporting him he would be successful but you know, keep crushing your brothers dreams.
>>
>>36923780
Fine, let's amend that statement to be ' has so little to show for it in the last 2 years that nobody who knows him understands why he thinks this path is viable'

Better? Now answer the question, fuckface.
>>
>>36923905
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA
>>
>>36923905
There's no money in overwatch
>>
>>36923905
whats his rank?
>>
>>36923676
get him that new dragon ball game that came out on steam for like 40 bucks, he'll be back to his autistic self in no time
>>
Any reason why he thinks he can't do both?
>>
>>36923946
Have you had your coffee today anon? You seem a little cranky.
>>
>>36923676
Ragie wagie detected, why do you care if he's NEET?
>>
>>36923784
Life is not a race to make money. This American mentality of trying to out-do your 'peers' in terms of financial success, is nothing less than a mental illness.
>>
>>36923676
He sounds like what musicians and stand-up comics and singers and actors used to be and kind of still are.

Same with like MMA fighters as well.

The difference is that even if you're trying to be a UFC Champion or win a Grammy or win the next big e-sports thing - you can still get a god damn job.

Actually putting an effort into a "feast or famine" career is admirable, but he still should get a job.

There is no worse feeling than growing old and wondering what your life would have been if you had followed your dreams and worked hard for it, instead of getting some soul-crushing job that kind of pays well.

Don't let your dreams be dreams, but yes you can still get a job in the meantime. Everyone does.

I think it's great that he's dedicated to his dream, but yes he should still get a job.

I did the opposite. I just worked a shit job for all of my 20s and hav e nothing to show for it. I fucking wish I had pursued my passion that early on in my life.
>>
>>36924336
>comparing gamers to musicans and actors

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY FUCKING SIDES AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>36924481
>being a fucking retard

>>
>>36924509
>COPING THIS HARD

>>
>>36924481
The point he's getting at is there's a few people doing well at the top of those fields and a huge swathe of people making next to nothing, what they're actually doing is beside that
>>
>>36924481
What's so funny? Share the joke with us anon.

I also compared them to MMA fighters and stand-up comics.

Those are all "feast or famine" endeavors.
>>
>>36924531
>not understanding basic things

>>
id rather get bicc or die trying too. at least id have fun and not be a wagecuck like you pussies
>>
>Overwatch

Ok, so he's actually retarded. Please tell me he at least plays on PC.

That being said, does he even know what it takes to be a pro gamer? These top guys are usually and special diets, work out, endurance training, etc. for optimal mental performance.

If he's not doing any of those things he has absolutely zero change of EVER making decent money in the gaming scene. Sure, he might be "pretty good". Guess what? Literally millions of people that play videogames are "pretty good". He's in the top 1%? That's still like 10K people he has to compete against.

Does have even have ANY contacts in the pro gaming industry? Probably not.

You have to make him realise that he has a near zero chance at becoming a pro-gamer. Period.

Hell, even becoming a famous Twitch streamer seems like a more feasible goal.
>>
>>36924565
>>36924336

Hell, at least with gaming you have this middle ground of twitch donations and patreon and youtube money that you can get by with a few thousand fans. You don't have to be like Pewdiepie-levels of famous to have a level of income that is at least equivalent to minimum wage.

If you're a MMA fighter who's trying to go up the ranks, you are getting absolute shit as pay. Same if you're an open-mic stand-up comic. Same if you're some fucking guy playing the guitar at a train station who's collecting people's pocket change.
>>
>>36924571
>pro-gamer

>>
>>36924650
>he actually thinks being good at a game means you'll automaticallly get a following on youtube/twitch/pateron

>>
>>36924481
>implying music is some sort of higher pursuit than video games
>>
>>36924727
>>36924770
Take that 9gag spazzing out somewhere else. I'm getting embarrassed on your behalf honestly.
>>
File: 1321538221154.png (136KB, 428x510px) Image search: [Google]
1321538221154.png
136KB, 428x510px
>>36924798
HAHHAHAHHA IMAGINE BEING THIS FUCKING OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY
>>
>>36924770
You also have to be not autistic, or very autistic. You just need SOME kind of personality.

The point is that it's not impossible.
>>
>>36923905
Just tell him to sell boosts. I make like 300 per account I boost. Sometimes even more if it's a really low account to GM.
>>
>>36924889
also there's literally no money in pro overwatch
the average pro player makes some measly 20k a year at best. scene is dead right now.
>>
As somebody who was pretty decent at Halo, I can say as personal experience that it's really all about connections. You brother could very well be as good as a standard tourney goer. However, and since this is Overwatch, he still needs a team and will probably need a stream AND some financial support. He probably hasn't even put in the time or research at his age so he's already going to get laughed out of any group he talks to.

Tell him to wake uo and "git gud" as people say these days. Say he's bad at video games and that nobody would want him on his team.
>>
>>36925060
Overwatch is basically TF2 with less hats, cyber ninjas with asses, and waifus. Of course the comp scene would be dead.
>>
>>36924847
>t. non musician
>>
File: guaranteedreplies.png (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
guaranteedreplies.png
5KB, 225x225px
>>36924798
God-tier bait. You've done well.
>>
>>36923676
Man these types of threads make me sad, cause i have a little brother who's also into gaming and wants to be a youtuber. He's 13 so he still has time to get the sense kicked into him. Those annoying screaming faggots on YT are to blame i say
>>
>>36925223
Yeah, or he can become a successful youtuber by the time he's your age and make more money than your parents.
>>
>>36925337
Yep. I'm totally sure that'll happen bud
>>
>>36925337
Have you even paid attention to YouTube now? They're barely paying anyone anymore because the ad companies have sticks up their asses over things deemed "offensive". And that's assuming that he even makes it to the point where he'll earn more than just chump change from it.
>>
why did quake 3/live die, that was truly the best "e-sport"
>>
>>36925358
It could, there's no point in stomping out the little dude's dreams like a wannabe faggot parent.

>>36925382
>They're barely paying anyone anymore

Nah, people are still making crazy stupid easy money for little 10 minute videos.

There's also Twitch if you're a gamer.
>>
>>36923676
How do people make money off gaming? I live in a small town. Is it a common city thing? Is it online groups? I'm top of the charts in every single cod game I play I should get something
>>
File: 1491179398579.jpg (32KB, 308x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491179398579.jpg
32KB, 308x450px
>>36925337
Yep, by posting roblox gameplay and talking to himself into a 20$ mic
Are you retarded or baiting? The ship has sailed in 2010
>>
>>36925698
Tournaments and sponsors
>>
>>36923891
Video games are stupid people trying to make money off it are idiots. You spend money to make money it's a game everyone wants to do it.

In art people can make music or drawings practically free and get paid tons.
>>
>>36924626
While he may not make it as a pro, he still has other avenues to make money. I know a friend who made 40k a year selling glad boosts in wow. And wow is a much smaller game than overwatch in terms of install base.
>>
>>36925698
People make money off of gaming by streaming their live game sessions both on Twitch and Youtube as well as providing commentary while doing so. A lot of them also go with the face-cam thing. They also repost their videos on youtube.

People will throw money at you on Twitch if you're entertaining enough, and youtube has ad revenue.
>>
>>36925675
>crazy stupid easy money
Only for people like Markiplier and Dude Perfect who have been with youtube for ages. Lots of people, even fucking PewDiePie, are now completely uncertain just how well youtube will fulfill their basic financial needs, only people like PewDiePie lucked out from being millionaires from youtube's golden days. I'm not saying it's dying, but it's sure as hell on a rocky boat with some holes in it, and whether or not those holes get plugged up is anyone's guess at this point.
>>
>ITT: Angry, Assblasted Traditionalists VS. Cringey, Sperglord Vidyagaymers
>>
>>36925764
>Yep, by posting roblox gameplay and talking to himself into a 20$ mic

He has to start somewhere.

>2010

One of the most successful LP groups, game grumps, was formed in 2012.

Granted they both had previous fanbases from newgrounds and youtube and blah blah blah but everyone has a fair chance at making it happen.

That shrieking Leprechaun also started in 2012.
>>
>>36925775
I'll stick to making music. It's free for me to do and the payout and success rate sounds higher.
>>
>>36925885
>the payout and success rate sounds higher

hhmmm

well....

people can and totally will steal your music once you get a few thousand fans, while telling themselves that it's not totally stealing at all.

People can't steal your Twitch stream or video game tournament.

Don't get me wrong I'm also looking to make music professionally, but it's also a "feast or famine" career path.
>>
>>36926057
MY music isn't music produced for listeners it's meant for other musicians to use

But I'm not going that gay internet method anyway. Also no one knows what twitch is. I've never heard of a person reference it in real life before.
>>
>>36926057
>people can't steal your Twitch stream or video game tournament
Alright, let's entertain the idea that someone makes it to a video game tournament, which they won't without connections. Good for them, but they won't make it to one of those gay ass, neckbeard conventions.
As for the Twitch stream and/or YouTube...
>implying AdBlock or the skip button doesn't exist
>>
> another thread LOADED with fucking normalfaggots

whatever happened to loving your goddamn brother and supporting him whether he strikes it big or has to learn from his own mistakes to move on

winning a few measly hundred bucks may be nothing to accomplished salaryfags but proving that you're the best at LAN? it's once in a lifetime shit and to a lot of people it's more impressive than getting a holiday bonus from shekelstein

overwatch is kinda gay but sometimes i wish i took a different route back when i was playing warcraft 3 all day. i used to be good. but instead i stayed the course and went to college and dropped out because of depressive self-destruction and now life is over
>>
>>36926088
>Also no one knows what twitch is. I've never heard of a person reference it in real life before.

No one outside of the internet and like Jimmy Kimmel knows who Pewdiepie is, but he still makes 50 million a year.
>>
>>36925866
>le enlightened autist who's above it all
>>
>>36926088
talk shit post clyp
>>
>>36926124
>the skip button

the skip button doesn't negate the ad. You still watched the mandatory 5 seconds of it.

but yeah sure some people do use AdBlock, but if they like a youtuber enough they turn it off for them.

Some youtubers don't even run ads, they just have a patreon.
>>
>>36923676
Same thread yesterday and I will say the same thing. If hes happy I think it's better that he chase his dream. I look back at my few years of being a "pro gamer" as the best years of my life. Sure i didn't make a living off of it but I made a few thousand from it and it felt good to be good at something. I was happy during that time and I wouldn't have been happy at a job or in college. Sure I might not be shit and will never be shit but at least I got to experience happiness for a few years. Overwatch is a meme game to go pro in though but power to him.
>>
File: guidestones.jpg (165KB, 1024x720px) Image search: [Google]
guidestones.jpg
165KB, 1024x720px
>>36923907

>the rich elites will help us poor, worthless plebes once we are officially obsolete
Think again, goy
>>
>>36926299
>if they like a youtuber enough
Delusional aspie spotted.
>>
>>36924228
Yes, a purely American phenomenon. Thankfully, the Eurodumpster is enthusiastically letting itself be bred out of existence and my Internet will be free of their serf mentality.
>>
>>36923907
listen to this guy >>36926342

shit like basic income is just a stopgap measure before the can kick in total depopulation
>>
>>36926443
The majority of YouTube views come from mobile - there are no AdBlock type plugins for phone browsers, Google and Apple have made sure of that.
>>
>>36923676
>>36923905
Most of the money in Overwatch is in streaming. Professional play isn't very rewarding atm, so much so you have salaried players dropping off their teams to become full-time streamers.
>>
Salaried gamers get like $300 to 1000 a month at the very most. No benefits, no retirement contributions, nothing. It's a literal meme.

Any low wage job with less hours and less stress will get you far more money and actual benefits.
>>
>>36926452
>serf mentality
Being sane is a serf mentality? The neurotic urge to make your neighbours jealous is precisely the mark of the slave.
In Aristocratic France, such people were called snobs, from sans nobilite, meaning without nobility. Being a noble, or gentleman has little to do with well, and everything to do with quality of your character.
>>
>>36927207
>little to do with well
with wealth*
>>
>>36927072
>Salaried gamers get like $300 to 1000 a month at the very most.
This is bullshit unless maybe you're in a third world country playing some shitty game that only 3k people play. Most league of legends players make 30-50k with people like faker making 1.2million and that doesn't include sponsors. Even in csgo and dota people make thousands no where near as much as in LoL though. No benefits or retirement is true though. I would rather make 15k a year doing something I love than 50k a year doing something I hate.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.