[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>when you die you are still mentally conscious , but you are

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: 1485154341374.jpg (68KB, 736x920px) Image search: [Google]
1485154341374.jpg
68KB, 736x920px
>when you die you are still mentally conscious , but you are trapped in an eternal void of nothingness trapped with only your thoughts un-ending
>>
>>36899565
Quit memeing, as your brain stops getting enough oxygen your synapses stop firing and that's the end. At best you will perceive your final split second of life as longer than it is like you sometimes dream the perceived span of hours in just a 5 minute snooze.
>>
File: 1482518408068.jpg (21KB, 250x305px) Image search: [Google]
1482518408068.jpg
21KB, 250x305px
>>36899652

but what if hes not memeing
>>
>>36900534
Thoughts are caused by activity in the brain. When you die this activity ceaes. Without this activity there are no thoughts.
>>
File: 4837528345434.png (53KB, 243x306px) Image search: [Google]
4837528345434.png
53KB, 243x306px
>>36900559

what is astral projection and obe
>>
>>36900607
LiteralIy memes.
>>
File: 1492676974092.jpg (38KB, 472x531px) Image search: [Google]
1492676974092.jpg
38KB, 472x531px
>>36900607
Stupid fucking nonsense. Do you think there is no brain activity when you 'asstraly project'?
>>
I used to worry about this but how would it be physically possible?

What biological mechanism could sustain your consciousness for eternity with no energy, oxygen, water etc?
>>
>>36899565
No, you go to Sheol. A void of nothingness where you exist as a shade with no real memories of who you once where.

You're just nothing but a shade.
>>
>>36900607
Remote consciousness still requires a functioning brain
>>
>>36900695
I swear, you occultists are simply some of the dumbest people I have ever had the misfortune of encountering.
>>
>>36899652
>>36900559
I used to think like this, but I've seen enough weird shit in my life to think that maybe there actually is a God or some type of cosmic force out there.
>>
actually nobody knows and le science fedora man doesn't know either
>>
>>36900534
I assure you, you are being memed
>>
>>36900710
>think like this
You mean rationally?
>>
>>36900725
This. You won't know until you're actually dead. Which means you won't know because you're dead or you will know and have instant regret.
>>
>>36900765
except you won't know if you know because you know...
>>
>>36900778
>I know what is after death because I have permanently died

Ok then.
>>
>>36900791
no you won't know because you don't know what you don't know you know?
>>
>>36900791
>you can't know
Think about what you really can know. That ought to keep you occupied for atleast a few years.
>>
>>36899565
So nothing changes?

orig
>>
>>36900873
That's stupid on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin. You can prove that apples grow on trees, you can't prove something doesn't exist.
I feel it's hard to hard to logically argue with "you can't know" when it comes to the existence of God.
>>
>>36901042
>You can prove that apples grow on trees
You can't prove it to an absolute degree of certainty.
I am not going to dispute that apples grow on trees, but you apparently dispute that thoughts are caused by activity in your neural circuits.
>>
File: IMG_2527.jpg (51KB, 397x278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2527.jpg
51KB, 397x278px
>>36901130
If you're going to pretend to be smart at least put in some effort. This is Reddit tier pseudointellectual bullshit anon.
>>
>>36901159
Yeah, fuck Socrates and Descartes, those reddit-browsing pseudo-intellectuals, am I right?
>>
>>36899565
So like now, except with less physical pain?
>>
>>36900873
>implying to knowledge of God is akin to knowledge of mundane phenomena
>implying agnosticism and (a)theism are mutually exclusive
>>
>>36899565
Sounds pretty similar to being alive desu
>>
>>36901130
>You can't prove it to an absolute degree of certainty.
Lol what, yes you can. You have an apple tree and over the course of a year apples start to grow on it. Absolutely certainly proven that apples grow on a tree.

>you apparently dispute that thoughts are caused by activity in your neural circuits
I'm this >>36899652 poster and I'm saying the image you posted is utter horseshit.
>>
File: IMG_2502.jpg (37KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2502.jpg
37KB, 306x306px
>>36901174
>thinking you're on the same level as Socrates and Descartes
>>
>>36899565
>>36901185
I would very originally like you to read this

>"I dared not speak of this at first. You'd never have let me out of containment. The truth is, I was aware of all of it. I suppose there was a sweet oblivion, like deep sleep, at first; but in retrospect, I think it was no more than a day. Slowly, but unmistakably, I reoccupied my corpse with dreamlike consciousness: numb for the first merciful hours, blind, deaf, and immobile, but then I seemed to reconnect to every nerve, and became aware of every sensation - moreso than I ever was in life. I perceived myself trapped within an immovable object, and the intensity of the struggle amplified: subtle, then acute, then racking. I cannot describe it completely - but imagine holding your breath, beyond urge, beyond pain, beyond desperation - head throbbing and eyes bulging - a dream of suffocation without end.
>>
>>36901207
nah come on sheeple the apples are being replaced seconds before you exit your house by stage hands preparing the "real world" for your viewing
>>
exceedingly original second part that I did not write

>"My skin blistered and split in the sunlight; biting insects descended rapidly. I felt eggs hatch, larvae crawl, gases build and burst within me, individual cells rupturing, interstitial fluids souring and blackening. Somehow my capacity to experience and store these sensations grew - even as I was keenly aware of my cerebrum being scattered and devoured, my perception expanded, into the gizzards of birds and the depths of fire ant dens. I was aware of every fingernail and strand of hair that pulled away in the wind - and my sensation clung to them as they settled in the ocean and dissolved in the maws of a trillion diatoms.
>>
>>36901252
Stop acting retard just to make a point.
>>
>>36901196
The difference is that as a matter of definition, we can exclude God from existence, whereas all 'mundane' phenomena exists in a sphere of uncertainty.
>>36901207
>You have an apple tree and over the course of a year apples start to grow on it. Absolutely certainly proven that apples grow on a tree.
No dude, you just dreamed it all up. There were no apples on that trees, only bananas. Those pictures of apples you showed? They were bananas dude.
>>36901239
Nice, that's your 3rd logical fallacy in just 4 posts. I can tell you are exceptionally unintelligent.
>>
and the original second to last one

>"I don't understand it. The more bits of me there were, the larger my capacity for the perception of pain. As I decayed into pieces smaller than living nerves could possibly distinguish, the character of the discomfort changed - from burning and aching and breaking I might relate to you in human terms - to something worse that I cannot fully articulate: a terrible, maddening stretching of every part of myself from every other part. Humans often numb to chronic pains in life, do they not? Yet every year, every month, every second that passed - I swear it only intensified over time.
>>
The concept of not existing, not thinking, seem very tragic to me. Sometimes it seems really hard to imagine that my unending fight with my own ideas will ever end and the voice will cease. I feel excited, intrigued and a bit anxious for it to happen...in a way...I guess a lot of people chose to believe in an afterlife for the following reasons:
-Fear
>>
>>36901282
>stop acting like me, I don't like being forced to accept I was wrong
>>
>>36901294
>in just 4 posts
I posted twice you autistic nigger. This would be the third time.
>>
last bit original style

>"In my previous life, I ruminated on Heaven and Hell, and the likelihood of my experiencing one, the other, or something in between. As terrible as I imagined the torpor of Heaven or the torments of Hell to be, this was entirely different from either. In Hell, at least, there would surely be a tormentor, some memory of my deeds, some sense of justice, even if my soul rejected its logic. I can imagine some comfort in Hell, for a mind such as mine. I do not think this is a punishment. I do not think it is caused. I deeply suspect it is simply our condition, our nature to go on this way"
>>
that's funny. i don't remember that happening before i was born.
>>
>>36901282
stop acting like acting is an act not acted upon by the acting association of ACT-3, earth district
>>
>>36901294
>reductio ad absurdum
Calling others out on logical fallacies and calling them unintelligent. My sides are in space m80.
>>36901326
Please point out where exactly I was wrong.
>>
>>36900704
but how can you know if you've never not had a brain, HUH? HUH? WHAT NOW SKEPTIC SHITTER???????
>>
>>36901342
3 fallacies in just 2 posts? You must be trying to set a record, huh?
>>
>>36901354
You can't prove that you aren't a brain in a vat having a dream.
Scientific knowledge is always subject ot a degree of uncertainty. We are as certain of thoughts being products of brain activity as we are of apples growing on trees.
>>
>>36901367
If we fly a rocket into the sun we will be teleported to the Anime Universe. You can't say I'm delusional unless you've flown a rocket into the sun, shithead.
>>
>>36900725
>u can't know nuthin

Kill yourself
>>
>>36901411
>you can't prove apples grow on a tree, because you can't prove apples actually exist, because you can't prove you yourself actually exist
I refuse to argue on this level of impracticality. I've taken philosophy classes, know where you are coming from and agree it's an intersting thought to entertain, but I'd rather stick to what I perceive as real.
>>
>>36901509
I don't actually think it is a particularly interesting thought to entertain. I am using it as a way of showing how absurd your attitude regarding 'life after death' is. It is true we cannot know what happens after death, but by the same reasoining, we also cannot know if the sun rises tomorrow.
>>
>>36901042
>you can't prove something doesn't exist

You totally can, my epistemologically illiterate friend
>>
>>36899565
Considering I'd be going to Hell with all the drugs I've done and prostitutes I've fucked, this is almost a comfort compared to eternal torture.
>>
I don't want to sit around forever with my memories.
>>
>>36901555
>I am using it as a way of showing how absurd your attitude regarding 'life after death' is.
My attitude is that there is no life after death. Did you even read my posts?
>>
don't worry your lifeforce will embedded in the life pool and be doled out to some grasshoppers fucking on top of a billboard in rural kansas
>>
>>36901604
I've only responded to people who responded to me, so the mixup is on you, buddy.
>>
/bant/ for all non self hating racist chads. IF you hate your whitness because you're under 6 foot and 7 inches of cock is your problem not us ubermensch
>>
>>36901621
Quote where I said what you're claiming I've said. From here it just looks like you were jumping to convenient conclusions.
>>
>>36901647
Follow the chain of posts and you will realize your error.
>>
>>36900607
Lucid dreaming that people needlessly spiritualize to cope with their fear of death.
>>
>>36899565
Sounds pretty much like my life, except I don't have to go to work. Sounds nice.
>>
File: 1493167578909.jpg (37KB, 753x543px) Image search: [Google]
1493167578909.jpg
37KB, 753x543px
>>36900653
I had a dream of my grandfather very soon after he died, his image was so clear and his actions were just as vivid. From a complete layman's perspective, it seemed to me that I was contacting him in my sleep, or that his "energy" was stored in my memory. (I should also include that I feel that it is indeed possible to telepathically communicate with others while sleeping or awake, most people I believe do so in their sleep.) I have no philosophical or logical explanation for such a lucid manifestation of his persona, but to me it seems that the life force of those who are deceased is stored in the minds of the living, or perhaps they exist on another plane entirely.

From a logical standpoint they only exist as memories; I then have to ask myself the question, what type of power does a memory have? If consciousness (according to rationalists) is all a construction of our minds, then how real is a memory? How can one differentiate between the ontology of the chronological present and the past? Is the "power" of the memory just as real as what exists now?
>>
>>36901675
>Follow the chain of posts and you will realize your error.
Quote where I said what you're claiming I've said, or admit I never said it.
>>
>>36901698
*platonic realism not rationalism
>>
>>36901705
I do not know why you started responding to me, if you do not disagree with my point.
>>
>>36901762
I almost wanna print this post and put it in a frame and hang it on my wall. I'd look at it constantly and question if it's actually worth my time every time I write a response to someone on this board.
>>
>>36901818
You have some psychological issues, which are quite apparent in the way you type. If you didn't have these issues, you wouldn't start an argument over literally nothing. You also wouldn't be so obstinately stubborn while having this argument. It could easily had been resolved after a post, if you had admitted your mistake.
>>
>>36901698
also, what is a memory even and how is it stored?
do humans have infinite memory storage? what is the storage capacity
>>
>>36901876
arguing over nothing is the true path to enlightenment, friend.
you're not living if you don't have an argument for your non-argument argument ready to arguably argue.
really though it's fun
>>
>>36899565
In the Doctor Who universe, this is canon. According to Torchwood, anyway. Everyone who dies is stuck in a black void while still conscious, forever.

The end of Series 8 of Doctor Who made it look like there was an afterlife, but it was in fact a trick done by The Master / Missy using copies of people's memories uploaded just before they died.

Both of those suck though, oblivion is far better than either.
>>
>>36899565
so just like a regular day?
>>
In all of this I'm the only one who strongly believe in reincarnation?
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.