[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was anyone else was or is "gifted" here? Were you

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: 1480525488172.png (24KB, 250x226px) Image search: [Google]
1480525488172.png
24KB, 250x226px
Was anyone else was or is "gifted" here?

Were you "bored" and "unchallenged" in regular schooling? Did you go to gifted class? Did you do well in that class? What were the other students like? Do you know what they grew up to be? Did your giftedness stick with you or did you grow up to be stupid again?

Me, In grade 2 or 3, I got As in everything and pretty much always finished work early and read for the rest of the class. I went to a special gifted class later in another school, and immediately hated it. It was just an amplified version of regular class. The nerds were extra autistic, and the preppy Chads were extra obnoxious. I also never got free time to read because you had to do work nearly all the time, and got really low grades because it was too hard. They didn't let me continue the program in high school because my grades were too bad so I went back to regular class. I again got As in everything and read for most of the class. However in college work was too hard again and I had to drop out.
>>
Just like many I needed to put 0 effort to have my average be nearly perfect

I never learned to work hard and combined with pressure from my mother and constant anxiety I just gave up on trying.
Turned out lazy, unmotivated and depressed
>>
in 1st-4th i went to a gifted class once a week where we learned about "fun" topics, in 5th and 6th it was full time and seemed like regular school but harder, i became dumb again in middle school and school though
>>
>>36870323
>where we learned about "fun" topics

We never had any "fun" topics in my class. We did this thing every week where we had to do a class discussion on events in the news and on politics or something. I always got low marks because the teacher said my "contribution" to the discussion wasn't good enough, but I just didn't give a shit because I only cared about video games.
>>
>>36870246
I got sent to "gifted" classes a couple of times until I figured out it just meant more work for no more reward. The AnCap in me went full retard and I gave up so they put me back in normal class but I doubled down my autism and they put me in bottom streams for a couple years of highschool. It was such a cruisy time and I got to meet a lot of future criminals who were a laugh to be around. They were much more intersting people than normies so it was a reward in itself far greater than grades.

I ended up going to uni and failing pretty bad, dropped out, did some drugs, got some jobs, saved up and after a year of normiehood went back to uni and studied something fun and graduated this year :)

Now im a neet
>>
>>36870458
That was the biggest bullshit.
Same reason why I hated literature, my mind was blank all the time and I couldn't think of something to say if I had a gun pointed at me. I blame it on parental neglect not teaching me how to express myself.
Weirdly enough my imagination works pretty well, just not in a poetic/public way. Fuck
>>
>>36870246
This is exactly me and I'm so afraid I'm going to have to drop out. My parents will beat me down if they find out I failed a bunch of shit. I only passed one class this semester with an A-, and it was because the tests were weighted much more heavily than hw and its in my best subject.
>>
File: dunnigkrugereffect1.jpg (79KB, 536x354px) Image search: [Google]
dunnigkrugereffect1.jpg
79KB, 536x354px
>older brother was the golden child that the parents always wanted (especially after older sister was such a disappointment), so they sort of went on autopilot for me
>always wanted to live up to him as a kid but never felt I could
>went to the same grade school and high school as he did, teachers would always see me and remember him and talk about how great he was
>developed a serious inferiority complex early in my childhood because of this
>felt like I would be a disappointment no matter what and there was no reason to work hard
>would barely ever do homework in high school and still test near the top of the class
>teachers would always tell me I was doing really well but could do much better if I worked a little bit harder
>always just felt like the work was easy but I was too dumb to do it
>brother ended up going to a top 20 us university
>I had a mediocre GPA and what I thought were decent SAT/ACT scores
>didn't apply to any good schools because I thought I would get rejected anyway
>neither parents nor high school counselors gave me any real guidance about this
>ended up settling for a mediocre school that I only went to to get away from home
>have deeply regretted this for the past couple of years
>did pretty well for a couple of years but completely burned out due to lack of motivation and lack of confidence, failed a couple of classes and tried to kill myself and got kicked out of school
>only now realizing how much time and potential I wasted sitting around feeling sorry for myself
>tfw looked it up and I probably could have gone to much better schools in much better parts of the country and been way more proud of myself
I mean fuck I wasn't a genius by any means, I still don't even really think I'm that smart but I'm not sure if it's because of pic related or if I'm coping for my failures with some arrogance.
>>
File: 1373501385688.jpg (14KB, 226x219px) Image search: [Google]
1373501385688.jpg
14KB, 226x219px
Every loser I know was in the 'gifted' program or something similar, they humblebrag about intelligence all the time and despite never achieving anything in their lives they feel above everyone else. They perpetuate this 'i am so smart' persona by taking internet tests and justifying their empty lives with 'im shy' or 'im lazy' ' I could achieve so much if I just tried' or similar shit
>>
>>36871284
>' I could achieve so much if I just tried'
Fucking lol.
>>
I was very bored and unchallenged in school which led to me skipping classes and never doing the work so I had the grades of a retard.

I got into a good college just from my essay alone.
>>
>>36870246
I felt like that in classes but still failed tests
>>
>>36870555
>went back to uni and studied something fun and graduated this year
This gives me hope
>Now im a neet
Oh
>>
Always told i was extremely smart by adults as a kid. Would see other kids spend a long time working hard on problems that i would instantly know the answer to. Started to corrilate hard work with being stupid. No wonder im a lazy peice of shit
>>
>>36870246
don't know if I was gifted n sheeit, but throughout elementary and part of middle i was consistently in the top 3 on tests and overall grades without much effort, honor roll/principal's list student, invited to "beta" club n sheeit

anyway, once puberty really kicked into overdrive around 7th grade, and i got addicted to the internet and games, my grades started plummeting fast

mom was almost asian-tier on grades, she wanted to see no less than B on anything, a C was completely unacceptable, and this was on the 7-point grade system, not the 10-point (ie A = 93+ B = 85/86+ etc). really pressured into the college meme

eventually she just got too old and let me do w/e. now i'm just a 25 khv failure still at home, back AGAIN (have a useless 2-year IT degree from before) in uni where i just now barely scraped by calc 1 with a C-, still addicted to anime and the internet, though not games as much. always lacking motivation and have constant brainfog, probably getting dumber by the day. i'm a real p.o.s
>>
Becoming part of the "gifted" class was weird. When I was in 1st grade I would get pulled out of class by an older man and have to do puzzles and read books with him. I remember having to put together a block puzzle without any instruction, but I dont remember the rest because the block puzzle was the only one I struggled with.

My classmates eventually became lazy too because even college level coursework was easy for us throughout high school and most of our time was spent on independent study.
College was pretty much the same for me. I didn't go to class often, but went to my labs. Graduated in biochemistry with an overall GPA of 3.49. I did poorly in my arts/humanities courses. I only applied to 3 colleges, but decided on going to the same college my father went to(and dropped out of). I originally didn't want to attend college and applied for colleges pretty late in my senior year.

Now I work in a lab working quality control. I don't talk to anyone from high school anymore. I don't even have friends.
>>
>>36870319
Same story here. Whenever my family criticizes me I just say "ADD is a hell of a drug"

Then they yell at me for blaming it on my ADD
>>
File: aaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh.jpg (17KB, 289x200px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh.jpg
17KB, 289x200px
Actual genius here. This is going to be the most self-pitying, masturbatory post ever, but whatever, you asked.

I was your typical "lazy genius" stereotype. Didn't figure out that "laziness" was actually crippling depression until I grew up. Tested really well on everything. When I was in like 1st or 2nd grade, I guess I took a bunch of tests that made me out to be some kind of wunderkind or something. After that, everybody got it into their head that I was supposed to be Einstein or some shit. It fucking SUCKED.

I think failure was some form of un/semi-conscious rebellion on my part. My parents explicitly told me that I had no right to get anything less than a hundred on anything, ever. What's more, I knew that being perfect wouldn't actually be rewarded, since perfection was explicitly made out to be what I "should" do, the bare minimum, and it was made equally explicit that I didn't deserve any reward for doing what I ought to. Stepmom additionally made it very clear, on multiple occasions, that I should never get any positive reinforcement (actually what she said) because it would lead to complacency and overconfidence, and that it was deliberate that I never got any.

Dad went WAY too hard on the whole fostering-my-genius thing. Used to sit looking over my shoulder, breathing down my fucking neck, as I did my math homework, and then would scream, bang on shit, and tear my whole assignment to pieces and make me do it again if I fucked up a single step. This was around 1st-2nd grade, too. Escalated to outright beatings and threats of torture and mutilation around 3rd grade.

I think people began to project this image of what I ought to be onto me very early on, and it made me feel spite towards perfection. I consciously let myself fail since succeeding post-beatings would only show that violence worked on me. 8-year-old anon decided that he would just fail until Dad killed him or gave up. That became a habit of failure after a few years.
>>
I was the dumbest kid in school my whole life. My parents had to pay for tutors and all these extra lessons for me just to get a passable grade on exams. I was only interested in playing outside with other kids and joking around. In school, I just zoned out and didn't listen to a word the teacher said. Every single teacher hated me because any time I was asked a question I would just say "What?" and took 5 minutes to give any answer which was usually wrong. My parents gave up on me in 10th grade, teachers began to completely ignore me, my friends that I liked to play with somehow didn't like playing with me anymore and I retreated into my bedroom where I could play video games in peace. That was over 15 years ago. I'm now a 32 year old man, completely alone in my parent's basement, they've disowned me as their son and don't feed me or do anything for me. I sneak into the kitchen at night and grab whatever I can that they won't notice. I haven't talked to anyone outside of anonymous imageboards in probably five years. The whole world has forgotten I exist, no one cares if I live or die, all because I just wanted to have fun outside and not do boring Math problems. Now my whole world is a computer screen in a dark basement, refreshing imageboards, just wondering what the fuck happened to my life and why was I born this way. I'll never know the answers and I'm too tired and old to care anymore. That's my pathetic story.
>>
File: leon3.jpg (125KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
leon3.jpg
125KB, 1600x1200px
>>36871916
(CONT)
The habit stuck for a long time. Or I might've been subconsciously trying to lower the bar for myself.

Always made it through because I tested really well, because I could literally never study and still nail subjects I knew from outside reading, and because teachers gave me special treatment. Openly got graded on a metric that was just for me a few times, or got an A for doing something that wasn't even in the curriculum, or got a good grade just because I was well-liked and knew the shit better than anybody else, in classes where I didn't do any work.

>Did you go to gifted class? Did you do well in that class? What were the other students like?
Yes, in elementary school; dropped that shit in HS. Yes and no; see previous answer. The other students were a bunch of Asian and White rich party kids who got wasted often and had an entire network devoted to cheating and copying their ways to 4.5 averages.

>Do you know what they grew up to be?
No, I don't keep track of that bullshit and I'm done constantly measuring myself against others.

>Did your giftedness stick with you or did you grow up to be stupid again?
It stuck and began to flourish even further once I sorted out my fucking head. That required running away from home, a lot of drugs, and around 4 years of trial to accomplish. Still, since then, I've fostered my talents on my own and actually become a Renaissance man of sorts.

I don't really care about intelligence and intellectual dick-waving as much anymore, though. I think that was shit people put onto me, and I hate it. I want to be good and noble before being recognized as intelligent, and I honestly kinda want to punch the teeth out of intellectual snobs now.

>>36871638
>Started to corrilate hard work with being stupid
That is some toxic shit.
>>
>>36872300
>thats some toxic shit
It really was i no longer think that way but i wish people hadnt praised me so much for being smart
>>
Yeah, I had a knack for writing, and never had to study for tests through primary school. Still would give it up to be happy.
>>
>>36871913
On the one hand, using it as an excuse is shitty.

On the other, you don't go up to somebody with any other learning disability and say that shit.

On a third hand, or a foot, or something, ADD is overdiagnosed to the extent that people get sick of hearing that shit from people who don't actually have that excuse.
>>
File: 1492085570188.jpg (1MB, 1154x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1492085570188.jpg
1MB, 1154x1500px
>>36872300
do you believe in God renaissance man?
>>
>>36870246
yes, I got a degree and I'm 5 years into my career and I still have yet to find something that's challenging for more than a week
>>
I tested gifted, but I never displayed gifted behavior.
My parents treated me like shit until my IQ test and then afterwards it was like they were waiting patiently for me to do great things and I never did. I just got forced through honors classes and whatnot and finally started losing my mind in college.
Now I'm about to graduate with shitty GPA, dependent on meds, with no ambition and no job lined up.
>>
>>36870246
"gifted" as in my parents and teachers telling me i'm a genius and that I'll be the next Albert Einstein or the next Bill Gates. I never learned how to work hard or deal with failure so now I'm a depressed college dropout looking to go live in the woods till I die.
>>
>>36872798
I honestly don't know. I don't believe in God with a capital G, and my default is to disbelieve something unless there's evidence at least suggesting it. Definitely don't believe in deities the way people think of them.

That said, there's definitely a feeling, but I don't know if that's divinity or just my own superego or just being in the zone when I do what I know is right or what.

And frankly, I'm probably not the guy to ask. I don't think about that question very often, so I don't think I've given it the diligence it deserves in a long time, and I don't know enough about the universe to draw inferences from that. Still trying to wrap my head around electromagnetism; probably not qualified to make a positive argument for or against God.

>>36872944
A year to not lose/to reclaim your mind is worth it. Trust me on this.
>>
I used to think that I had some sort of innate intelligence because I used to do really well when I was in 1-5. I had the realization that the only reason I did well in those grades was due to the fact my mom took care to provide me with quality schooling prior to actual school. It's a shame I didn't realize that I was just the lazy in "smart, but lazy" until it was to late.
>>
File: 1471031219445.jpg (352KB, 1094x1458px) Image search: [Google]
1471031219445.jpg
352KB, 1094x1458px
>>36873106
> realizing you're a brainlet as you get older

Too real, too painful.
>>
Honestly, the "gifted" classes I always attended were just retard pens with a nice name.
>>
>>36873054
>A year to not lose/to reclaim your mind is worth it. Trust me on this.
And do what? I wake up, sit in my room all day, and then go to bed. What else am I going to do? Backpack across europe? Get real.
I always think of all the cool things I'd build if I had free time, but then when I do have time where I'm not forced to do things, I have no energy.
and I don't think my mind is coming back.
>>
>>36872196
I always wanted to know what happened to the dumb kids on school. Thanks for the answer, anon.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.