[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Universe is young and every action will have incomprehensibly

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

>Universe is young and every action will have incomprehensibly vast affects on how the rest of the universe behaves, forever
>Every action you make or don't make could spell the beginning or end of a great utopian civilization in some distant galaxy, billions of years in the future
>We're just sitting here wasting our lives despite being the most beautiful, complex, intelligent objects we have discovered in the entire universe so far

How do you deal with this existential anxiety and make yourself act upon the desire to do good, in an informed way?
>>
butterfly effect is baseless
and there's nothing wrong with being largely hedonistic, anon
>>
>>36831542
No it's not baseless, it's obvious

Small actions in your past can drastically affect your future, and your actions can drastically affect large objects like the planet itself through rocket launches and such. A single rocket launch at escape velocity will change Earth's location by massive distances in a billion years, propagating to the sun and outwards
>>
>>36832162
the butterfly effect involves small causes, rocket launches definitely do not qualify, considering how limited humans' actions currently are (there's a ceiling)
will my moving my chair 1 cm to the left drastically alter events in superclusters far, far away? you tell me.
i'm all for determinism but this is ridiculous
it feels to me like you read that single example about rocket launches and were totally and irreversibly convinced
>>
>>36832278
Okay you're the one bringing up the butterfly effect, I never mentioned it. Rocket launches certainly qualify as substantially modifying the conditions of our Earth's current state, which will have drastic effects on the Earth's orbit in the future. And this will have minor effects on the location of the sun
>>
In a gas, if you remove a particle the future state of all particles of the gas changes chaotically, but the important macroscopic thermodynamic variables remain the same. Drastically different microstate, but macroscopically essentially the same.
>>
>>36831520
i fucked it all up.
>>
File: 1438141766758.png (269KB, 450x488px) Image search: [Google]
1438141766758.png
269KB, 450x488px
>>36831542
>and there's nothing wrong with being largely hedonistic, anon
>>
>>36833454
Yes, but in more complex physical states where entire planets or solar systems are subtly modified instead of individual atoms in the gas cloud, analogously the structure of the galaxy containing them is not modified in its fundamental properties - but to the individual solar system the effect still matters. A civilization may live or die depending upon simple changes in the trajectory of their planet, causing or avoiding a meteor collision, etc.
>>
>>36831520

I forge memes.
>>
>>36831520
Think about your great grandparents. Most people don't even know their great grandparents name let alone what they did. Now do that for all of humanity and realize there have been billions of people who are virtually lost in the mesh of society. It'll happen to me, to you, and to manchildren years from now, if we're still around.
>>
>>36833817
Yes, but all of our great grandparents have had massive effects on history, even insignificant ones

Think of the millions of people in past generations who, if they had had sex one night when they hadn't, may have ended up getting pregnant from a different sperm and giving birth to a murderer, who kills someone who would have given birth to a brilliant scientist or philanthropist. And think about how that's still happening right now
>>
>>36834066
Who gives a fuck? These timescales have no impact on a single human experience.
>>
>>36834905
Yeah they do - the timescale is the entire future once these effects build up
>>
>>36835034
Think of it this way: it takes millions of years for mountains to form even though they're growing every second. So, no human will ever see a mountain grow so to them, us, the fact that a mountain is growing is irrelevant to our lives.
>>
File: 8a4.jpg (30KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
8a4.jpg
30KB, 316x202px
>>36831520
I did not enjoy that gif.

It wasn't symmetrical.
>>
>>36835230
Chaotic double pendulum motion is not symmetrical

At t->inf it is symmetrical
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.