[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>dad reads at least two self-help books a week >still a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: 1488420860318.jpg (97KB, 1298x1098px) Image search: [Google]
1488420860318.jpg
97KB, 1298x1098px
>dad reads at least two self-help books a week
>still a lazy incompetent asshole who can't get promoted, raise a son properly, or get mommy back
>>
File: life.jpg (96KB, 1072x544px) Image search: [Google]
life.jpg
96KB, 1072x544px
Yeah self-help is a serious fucking meme. Mental masturbation so you can feel like you're on the right path while you run in the same fucking circles over and over.
>>
>>36812697
So then there's basically nothing you can do to help yourself?
>>
>>36812880

Probably, but drinking cheap beer and (re)waching Marvel shows and movies during all your free time when you're not reading Awaking the 7 Laws in You for Success or something certainly doesn't help.
>>
>>36812880
There's lots of things you can do to improve yourself but just reading a book that makes purposely makes you feel good about yourself whilst doing nothing isn't going to help
>>
File: 1493643427583.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1493643427583.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>>36812670
>Fell for the self help book meme in my teens and got it out my system
>Fell for the just talk to a therapist meme in my early 20s

Still on the medication meme though
>>
>>36812923
Yeah, the problem is self-help stuff is addictive like you said. It makes you think like you just had an important insight about life and you have to continue reading new books to get that one big revelation that will finally change your life. I probably read more self-help than anyone here and haven't implemented anything because it feels like my knowledge is "incomplete" and I might be doing something wrong unless I get more information. It's really ironic and retarded but I don't know what to do about it. It was all a big farce.
>>
>>36812880
Not that anon, but if you fucked up your life enough to resort to reading self help books, you can help yourself.
How the fuck does that work?
Seems like a load of shit.
A person who is an incompetent fuck cant just suddenly start fixing himself.
Its all marketing plot to make money off of desperate people at the ends of their rope.
>>
>>36812949
That's the point of reading self-help books, there's so many things you can do to improve yourself
>>
>>36812952
Did the therapist tell you anything useful?
>>
File: 1493581662950.png (152KB, 320x294px) Image search: [Google]
1493581662950.png
152KB, 320x294px
>>36813065
Yeah sure but I just got painfully attached to both of them and now I am unhappy they are gone. Plus the first one laughed at me a couple of times (but I kept going because im a masochist
>>
>>36812670
I thought if I read a book a day I would get a Lamborghini for my bookshelf garage, because you know what I value more than materialistic things? KNOWLEDGE. Guess it doesn't work out.
>>
>>36812997
What does being "incompetent" mean though, besides laziness? Most people that are not clinically retarded, insane, or handicapped are competent enough to change their lives. It's just the goddamn laziness that you can't get rid of.
>>
>>36813122
Why'd he/she laugh at you?
>>
Bullshit. Some self help books changed my life. It's about finding the right Ines. Reading them has seriously helped with my depression and improved my personality in extreme ways as well as helping me see the error in my ways in the past.

Maybe the reason why you guys can never be satisfied by knowledge is because you're so defensive and you think you know it all. You treat different races as if they're inferior and have sexist beliefs and generally lack sympathy for anyone but yourself, then you wonder why no one likes you
>>
File: 1492148869760.png (555KB, 952x676px) Image search: [Google]
1492148869760.png
555KB, 952x676px
>>36812670
Maybe you're that helpless?
>>
File: 1468242740247.png (1MB, 899x899px) Image search: [Google]
1468242740247.png
1MB, 899x899px
>>36813153
It wasnt anything huge really, just one of the times I said something about how I worry I come across as self obsessed and she let out a huge laugh and quickly stifled it like she was remembering some sort of inside joke or something about me and then wouldnt explain why she laughed and I felt paranoid and shit but she was really pretty and I was kind really enthralled with her. There were a couple of other times but nothing major
>>
It's called "action-faking"

Deluding yourself that you're actually taking action, when you aren't doing anything of the sort.

Happens a lot in business where people do nothing but attend seminars, or read books, or browse forums instead of actually starting their business
>>
>>36813296
How to prevent/fix this tendency?
>>
Most people are fairly incapable of getting their shit together, and self help isn't going to fix that. Everyone knows what to do, we know to eat healthy and exercise and all that shit, the trouble is not having the discipline to keep doing the things you have to do in order to move forward.
There's a book called Tiny Habits which you don't need to read but the main idea is that if you start a good habit with tiny increments that it doesn't seem like a big deal, you have a better chance of building commitment to it. Say 1 minute of meditiation in the morning, then adding a minute every day or even once a week. The gradual approach prevents it from seeming like this huge task that you have do.
The other thing is being aware of what's sabotaging your attempts to improve. For example, if I eat breakfast late, then my energy is wack and my day will be sluggish. Why'd I eat breakfast late? because I woke up feeling sluggish and shitty. Why was that? Because I keep going to bed in an exhausted stupor after browsing this place for too long.

It's probably worth noting this place is like the opposite of self help because you're replacing your own thoughts with the complaints of depressed apathetic neets when you read their posts. Fun.
>>
>>36813177
Which ones did you find helpful?
>>
>>36812670
At least he's trying.

>>36812697
You may actually find something helpful eventually.
>>
>>36813368
>How to prevent/fix this tendency?
By taking action.
>>
>>36813476
Why are you still here? Does the tiny habits method work for you?
>>
>>36813476
It does work, but there's a lifetime of learning to navigate those pitfalls that make you lose momentum. I've always been a fairly apathetic person, I've had a thyroid disorder for about 10 years so I never feel integrated with normie society and life despite emulating parts of it now.
I like coming here because of how real and direct the interaction is, and I've been here a decade so old habits die hard, even though I can see it's fairly toxic. I don't visit too much these days.
>>
>>36813177
>Bullshit. Some self help books changed my life. It's about finding the right Ines. Reading them has seriously helped with my depression and improved my personality in extreme ways as well as helping me see the error in my ways in the past.
Which ones, anon?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.