[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christianity thread. >"If anyone comes to Me and does

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 26

File: Cefalù_Pantocrator_retouched.jpg (20KB, 220x204px) Image search: [Google]
Cefalù_Pantocrator_retouched.jpg
20KB, 220x204px
Christianity thread.

>"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters-yes, even his own life-he cannot be My disciple. And whoever does not carry his cross and follow Me cannot be My disciple." Luke 14:26-27

>"If the world hates you, understand that it hated Me first. If you were of the world, it would love you as its own. Instead, the world hates you, because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world." John 15:18-19
>>
>>36708189
I get so many mixed feelings about Christianity
>>
File: 1489934980424.jpg (171KB, 981x819px) Image search: [Google]
1489934980424.jpg
171KB, 981x819px
>>36708189
>If the world hates you, understand that it hated Me first. If you were of the world, it would love you as its own. Instead, the world hates you, because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world
Why haven't I read this until now?
>>
File: terreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (17KB, 308x225px) Image search: [Google]
terreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
17KB, 308x225px
>>36708189
>kill self
>go to hell
this sucks
>>
>>36708429
Christianity confirmed robot religion
>>
File: 1493607091804.jpg (60KB, 687x639px) Image search: [Google]
1493607091804.jpg
60KB, 687x639px
>Tfw agnostic
>>
Why should I consider becoming a Christian?
>>
>>36708360
Same here

I love it aesthetically. Songs with religious themes are fantastic and so is the architecture of Churches. Love the idea of Jesus as well.

The problem is I can't accept ideas of afterlife, of homosexuality or extramarital sex being wrong, or any of that
>>
>>36709036
You will no longer be a slave to sin. That is, the constant burdens that drag us in fear, envy, rage and hatred will be lifted. Jesus says "The truth shall make you free".

Christ promises his disciples eternal life to those who believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R5VwxvUUvI
>>
File: jLVcUjL.jpg (79KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
jLVcUjL.jpg
79KB, 1024x576px
>>36708189
I was a staunch atheist until I was 19, even going so far as to ridicule Christians and call them retarded.

Now I am a Christian and would defend my faith even to death.

It's weird how things work out.
>>
>Wanted to become a Christian
>googled what do at church
>they say you should show up early so you can meet other member of the parish
>they say you can't wear jeans or shorts
wtf this sucks, had me reeing
>>
I've been reading about it a lot. But I still can't understand the religious world view.

I want to believe, but it makes no sense to me.
>>
>tfw read the gospels recently and encountered these passages and realized jesus was the original robot
>tfw realizing the normies killed our only saviour then proceeded to misinterpret his message entirely for their own worldy self-interest
>>
>>36709194
What specifically don't you understand?
>>
File: 880.png (543KB, 3500x3200px) Image search: [Google]
880.png
543KB, 3500x3200px
>christian as a kid, went to church almost every sunday
>went through edgy atheist phase
>now im christian again

feels born again famalam
>>
>>36709321
Why would God give us free will? It literally makes no sense. He basipally cucked himself into having a bunch of unwilling children

>but he wants us to CHOOSE to love Him

Why? Why can't he just snap his magic fingers and make it so? God is the architect of the universe. His word is law.
>>
File: 1491052461728.gif (151KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
1491052461728.gif
151KB, 128x128px
>>36709406
>believing in free will

you poor fool
>>
>>36709321
Lots of things.

The particular set of books chosen as the canon seems arbitrary. Reading the texts feels stilted and awkward. I don't understand what prayer means. Or anything supernatural. There's a lot of talk about the nature of god/father/son/spirit, which just seems like word salad.

How do you reconcile the vengeful genocidal god of the old testament with the idea of an all loving, all forgiving god as described in the new testament?

What can superstitious iron age tribal people tell me about how to live in the 21st century?
>>
>>36709321
>>36709406

It's also logically inconsistent. God is supposedly omnipotent and omniscient, meaning he can do anything and knows everything. However, there's also the claim that humans have "free will," the ability to do whatever we want (because without free will religion has no ethical claim to condemning people's actions). But how can it be true that we can choose anything if the choices are already known because of God's omniscience? With God knowing what we're going to do and having the power to change anything and having created our circumstances exactly how they are, in what sense are humans "free" to do anything?
>>
>>36709406
>Why can't he just snap his magic fingers and make it so?

That would hardly be real love. Man was severed from God when Adam ate from the tree of knowledge, as the allegory goes.

Peter only chose to believe in Christ once he rose from the dead and Jesus let him repent.

>>36709497
>How do you reconcile the vengeful genocidal god of the old testament with the idea of an all loving, all forgiving god as described in the new testament?

I will let Schopenhauer answer that. Basically, we were under Law and there was no salvation until Christ came.

>The Old Testament represents man as under the dominion of Law, in which, however, there is no redemption. The New Testament declares Law to have failed, frees man from its dominion, and in its stead preaches the kingdom of grace, to be won by faith, love of neighbor and entire sacrifice of self. This is the path of redemption from the evil of the world.

>>36709538
You raise transcendental questions, and you expect an answer to them in language that is only made for immanent knowledge.
>>
>>36709582
>That would hardly be real love.
>Real love
>To a omniscient being that can define what love means

Nigger this is what I'm talking about. Quit imposing our arbitrary, human based definitions on God
>>
>>36709194
it's another template for conceptualizing the human being, not merely as a physical organism subject to the laws of nature but as an abstract "social" entity which inhabits an emergent world of moral values(in simple terms - your actions have an impact, in varying degrees of good and bad, on those around you, that's an objective fact)
morality is an emergent property of life in much the same way that life is an emergent property of the physical elements
>>
>>36709107
modern homosexuality isn't actually discussed at all in the bible, the original text is condemning forced homosexual activity with slaves, and homosexual pagan rituals

people with an agenda have changed the wording in modern translations
>>
>>36709497
>Reading the texts feels stilted and awkward
There's different translations you know

> I don't understand what prayer means
Prayer is the communion between yourself and God, where you can channel your spirit into thought in hopes that God will hear and shift the cosmos in your favor.

>god/father/son/spirit
God is the Father, the son is Jesus, and the holy spirit is the faith itself, which manifests in all humans who believe in the word of God and of himself.

>What can superstitious iron age tribal people tell me about how to live in the 21st century?

The more things change, the more they stay the same
>>
>>36709582

I don't really expect you to answer anything in that post because there are no answers, it just doesn't make sense, and the only winning move as a Christian apologist is to sidestep the whole thing.
>>
File: 1470602359375.png (364KB, 599x563px) Image search: [Google]
1470602359375.png
364KB, 599x563px
>>36709666
damn it, I have the mark

see you in hell boys
>>
File: christchan.png (590KB, 733x1127px) Image search: [Google]
christchan.png
590KB, 733x1127px
thanks for this OP real moral post god bless
>>
>>36709666
>different translations
I've sampled a few. Actually, what got me to start reading scripture again for the first time in many years was learning Latin.

>Prayer is the communion between yourself and God, where you can channel your spirit into thought in hopes that God will hear and shift the cosmos in your favor.
This is an entirely foreign concept. What is my spirit? What is god? Why would the creator of the cosmos alter his plans for my stupid requests?

>the holy spirit is the faith itself, which manifests in all humans who believe
So is it real, or just some kind of metaphor for belief?

>The more things change, the more they stay the same
So that's a no on wearing clothes of mixed fibers then?

I also tried reading CS Lewis and GK Chesterton. I found their arguments unconvincing.
>>
>>36709649
> people with an agenda have changed the wording in modern translations

From the 1560 Geneva Bible

Leviticus 18:22

Thou shalt not lie with the male as one lieth with a woman: for it is abomination

I don't see anything about slaves or pagan rituals neither, seems pretty clear.
>>
>>36708189
Jesus never existed, senpai
>>
>>36709161
Yeah, you're now one of the retards
>Anything is possible therefore it is probable head ass
>>
>>36709938
you need to go further back into the hebrew, much of the meaning and cultural context has been lost even with the fairly old english translations

that particular phrase is talking specifically about lying with a man in a woman's bed, which is of great cultural significance. a woman's bed was the only thing she owned, and it was her safe space; it would be a violating that to have sex with somebody else on it. it was a common practice at the time for men to sleep with their male slaves in addition to their wives, this is why it says a male as that would be who you'd probably be sleeping with in somebody else's bed.
>>
File: 1491255558070.png (298KB, 515x438px) Image search: [Google]
1491255558070.png
298KB, 515x438px
>>36709913
Your soul. Your personality. The things you believe, the things you enjoy, the things you dislike, the people you love and hate, the concepts you can grasp and the things you cannot are all what make your spirit.

Trying to explain "God" is something mankind has struggled with for far longer than you or I have been around for, but lets just say that God is all, and is none. For posterity's sake, think of God as the Universe, and not the one who "created" it.

The creator doesn't bend the knee for your every whim. Only in the flow of causality, the divine flow of energy in this universe will your whim come to fruition, or will it be ignored. It either is, or isn't. Just because you pray for money doesn't mean you will find it. But if you pray for something and it happens, then it was by the law of God and causality that it was to be.

The holy spirit is real, because it is the divine connection, the "oneness" that all living creatures experience. We are made of from matter scattered throughout space and time, and our souls are energy trapped within matter. This energy has been around since the dawn of the universe, and as we observe in the law of conservation of energy, it can never be "destroyed," only changed fundamentally. And thus, through this common energy, we find ourselves connected.
>>
>>36710153
>Trying to explain "God" is something mankind has struggled with for far longer than you or I have been around for
There's no need for the second for. Secondly, that's because no god(s) actually exist(s).
>>
>>36710153
This is exactly the sort of thing I meant when I said I can't wrap my head around the religious mindset. Nothing in this post makes sense to me.

>the divine connection, the "oneness" that all living creatures experience
Like this. What 'oneness' are you talking about? I don't know that feel.

I feel like you are describing colors to a blind man. Like there's something wrong with me that I can't fathom what seemed obvious to everyone for thousands of years.
>>
>>36710226
take shrooms, you'll understand the oneness of all living things
>>
>>36710210
>I don't believe it exists, therefore it doesn't exist

Yes, this is true. For you, god(s) don't exist. But for someone who does believe in a "God" he does exist.

God is literally a case of 'Schrodinger's Cat." If you observe and believe in God, he is real. And if you don't, then he is not.

>>36710226

this to be honest

>>36710267
>>
>>36710226
It's just inane shit trying to describe the unknown, all he has are feelings, nothing else. That in no way says that those feelings are what's true about the Universe
>>
>>36710267
Even if I knew how to obtain them, my job randomly drug tests. So this isn't an option.
>>
>>36710302
It's more like:
>It's unlikely to exist therefore I don't believe it exists
Nice try though, bitch nigga. Also, you're saying it's subjective? Nigga, feelings don't mean shit to reality.
>>
>>36710336
psilocybin doesn't show up on standardized drug tests, and it's completely out of your body within around 48 hours

you can get them safely and anonymously on the darknet

get some bitcoins, download the tor browser bundle, go to reddit /r/alphabay and use the links on the sidebar to get to the alphabay marketplace.

if you need help or have questions about shrooms, add me on kik: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_a
>>
>>36710381
What do feelings have to do with it? I don't feel one way or the other. Im merely pointing the objective fact that if you find it "unlikely" for a God to exist, or don't believe in one, then he doesn't exist. If you do believe, then one does exist.

For a practical example, say I find it unlikely that "Bananas" exist. I would go as far as to say bananas don't exist. But you could point it out to me and say "well duh idiot bananas exist"

I could either remain strong in my belief that bananas don't exist or you could sway my views to your side. That's how this whole argument works
>>
>>36710336
nobody tests for shrooms, because they're not addictive or physically harmful and have pretty much no potential for abuse. you need to get a separate and very expensive test to detect the presence of it, there's no reason they'd ever use that test unless it was part of a court case or something.
>>
I like many grew up with a Catholic background. Got my communion confirmation and all that jazz. Hell my families last name is Saint Michael. For me what turned me off was the whole "The lord works in mysterious ways" when something traumatic, bad, or horrendous happened in the world. It seems people are to afraid question religious ideology and just accept the norm without discovering it for themselves.
>>
>>36710498
>Im merely pointing the objective fact that if you find it "unlikely" for a God to exist, or don't believe in one, then he doesn't exist. If you do believe, then one does exist
So, you're saying that feelings dictate whether something exists or not, you idiot, that's what you're saying, If you can look at reality and see a loving god that interferes with it, then you are most likely mistaken. Most probably even.
>>
>>36710106
Sounds like convoluted bullshit desu senpai.
>>
>>36710498
>objective fact
>if you don't believe then he doesn't exist
That's not what objective means

>I could either remain strong in my belief that bananas don't exist or you could sway my views to your side. That's how this whole argument works
Or he could take you to a goddamn grocery store and buy you a banana. Can't really do that with god.

>>36710413
>>36710501
Sounds like a great way to get arrested and/or fired.
>>
File: Betty Riverdale.jpg (272KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Betty Riverdale.jpg
272KB, 1920x1080px
Any Methodist or Lutheran bots online?

I'm having all sorts of doubts about the Episcopal church. I love the aesthetics and sense of ritual and non-fundamentalism. But it just feels a little -too- Liberal. I mean, I don't want to hear about how evil my gay brother is every Sunday but it feels weird to have the priest be openly gay. I mean, if I wanted to be Unitarian I'd just do that.

Alternately, any Episcopal or other Liberal Christian bots want to set me straight?
>>
File: 1492096363852.png (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1492096363852.png
8KB, 420x420px
Christianity is the religion of eruopean people and thier diaspora
>>
>>36708189
What do you think of other religions and their adherents?
>>
>>36710672

>TFW finally realized that pagan influences on Western Christianity are a feature, not a bug. Putting our own spin on the religion made it our own.
>>
File: 1432453427516.jpg (34KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
1432453427516.jpg
34KB, 500x348px
I don't understand this idea of Jesus sacrificing himself for our sins

>we're all inherently sinful but Jesus came down and got killed by the romans so all our sins our forgiven

Huh? How does that work?
>>
>>36709449
This. It's 100% correct, so that's that.
>>
>>36710770
His crucifixion was like a Yom Kippur ritual, that's why the narrative had Pilate choose between Jesus and Jesus Barabbas.
>>
>>36710633
Why is it weird that the priest is openly gay? Does that change your commitment to God or beliefs?
>>
>>36710580
The only one letting feelings cloud their judgment here is you my friend. You're the one getting mad enough to call me an idiot.

If you want to say that "believing" in something is "feeling" then by all means. But allow me to simplifiy my point to the barest terms so your feeble mind can comprehend:

>If X exists, it exists
>If Y does not exist, then it doesn't exist

If a unicorn is exists, its real. If a unicorn does not exist, its not real.

If god exists, hes real. If god does not exist, he is not real.

Because a human being can perceive things, he will then take whatever he immediately perceives as "real." I can perceive a drawing of a unicorn, which makes unicorns "real" as a concept. I can perceive paintings of "God" or "Gods" , which makes them real as a concept.

However, of course, I cannot perceive unicorns as a tangible thing, and I cannot perceive God as a tangible thing, meaning I cannot touch it. But since I can perceive a notion of either, it exists. If I could not comprehend either concept, then they would not exist.
>>
>>36710842
>>36710770
I mean, that's why the narrative had the people choose between them
>>
>>36710632
Nah, that's just the sound of you being more of a pussy than a 14 year old.
>>
>>36710632
It's okay to be afraid of taking mushrooms. But how can one experience one-ness and open-ness with all things if they're afraid and shut the possibility of it off? Shrooms and other psychoactives aren't the "answer" but a means to open an otherwise hard heart, with many types of questions not just this God question. It won't get you fired unless you are stupid and use it irresponsibly.
>>
>>36710859
>Calling you an idiot means I'm mad
Non-sequitur. Those are just your feelings.

>If a unicorn is exists, its real. If a unicorn does not exist, its not real.
The way we feel about something existing or not is not the end all be all of whether it exists or not. The way you put is if we feel like a god doesn't exist then he doesn't exist but that has no bearing on the actual reality of it.

If god exists, hes real. If god does not exist, he is not real.
>If god exists, he's real
To which I say, demonstrate that a god exists.
>>
File: wojakbird.jpg (351KB, 1170x923px) Image search: [Google]
wojakbird.jpg
351KB, 1170x923px
>Vanity of vanities, says the Teacher,
vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
What do people gain from all the toil
at which they toil under the sun?
A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun goes down,
and hurries to the place where it rises.
The wind blows to the south,
and goes around to the north;
round and round goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.
All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they continue to flow.
All things are wearisome;
more than one can express;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
or the ear filled with hearing.
What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said,
"See, this is new"?
It has already been,
in the ages before us.
The people of long ago are not remembered,
nor will there be any remembrance
of people yet to come
by those who come after them.
>>
>>36710615
Not him and while I agree that's how it sounds, at the same time, a lot of stuff in the bible is similarly convoluted and far-fetched.
>>
The god of the old testament sounds more like a powerful demon than a loving creator. There is absolutely no reason anyone should want to worship this monster other than to avoid hell, which is a concept even more cruel than the things it biblically did.
>>
>>36710947
>>36710877
So what, just buy illegal drugs on the internet, take them alone in my apartment, and hope to gain spiritual insight?

So there is no rational argument to make, then? It has to be mind altering chemicals?
>>
>>36711110
Those mind altering chemicals give you the feeling of the presence of a god, so that means they're holy
>>
>>36710972
Sorry, but you really don't get it

You can't "feel" if an apple exists, it exists. You can't "feel" if a chupacabra it exists, it doesn't exist

God is essentially the observable universe, because when the "big bang" occurred, all of the known energy and matter in the universe suddenly"existed." The same stuff that makes up me as a person, you as a person, and the technology we use, and etc. etc. Therefore the universe is the "divine creator."

The real problem is whether or not this creation was done by a "sentience." Was this "God," the universe, did it actively plan out everything that has transpired since its inception?

That question leads into my original point, and that's if you believe that this sentient "God" exists and is the creator, if he does not exist, and is not sentient, and its just happenstance.

Yes, the former is subjective and is how you "feel" about the "idea" of god. But what is not subjective is the duality between "is" and "is not." If something is, it is, and if it is not, you get the idea.
>>
>>36711176
Or it means that god is an illusion.
>>
>>36711176
I actually never thought of them that way

Damn son
>>
>>36711180
Except a god is usually described as transcendent. To say the Universe is sentient would be a stretch because it doesn't act sentient therefore there's no evidence to support that it is sentient, this is the reality. Creator implies teleology, will, etc.
>>
>>36711199
I was being sarcastic though, bruh
>>
>>36711271
Considering that humans are sentient and can view the universe, who's to say that it's not the universe viewing itself through humanity?
>>
>>36711382
Why would the Universe do that and then kill off everything on Earth eventually? What about the other planets? What about all the stars that die?
>>
How can omniscience and free will coexist? Why does an omnipotent deity need foreskin and animal sacrifices? Why is "the test" not based on how good of a person you were but instead a matter of whether or not you believed in god? Why doesn't god simply will another Eden into existence? How did he not realize that humans would fail if he was omniscient?
>>
>>36711425
All of existence is one of constant rebirth. The universe gives birth to stars, and when those stars die they explode with a magnitude unimaginable, spreading all of the known matter (or at least that we know of) across Space. This matter coalesces into new stars and planets, facilitating new life. But take our solar system for example, our star will consume our tiny planet and explode like its brethren, but out of this death comes new life. All energy will be transferred into new matter.

We can see this phenomenon on earth. When you or me die, our energy, the essence of our "souls" never goes away. The matter we encompass degrades, but the energy lingers. And this energy finds new matter to inhabit.

Even the universe will die, it will expand too much and become a singularity, collapsing into itself, fueling another "big bang," essentially writing a new timeline and reality from the one before.
>>
>>36711543
Free will doesn't exist. God doesn't require anything like that, although Satan does. If you don't believe in God, then how can you believe in his standards to see if you were a "good person" or not? Man doesn't deserve another Eden. Im not quite sure in what way you meant they "failed."
>>
>>36711613
Not all stars supernova, you idiot, you're just putting purpose where there seemingly is none. Just because stars are still being formed doesn't mean there's any purpose to it.
>>
>>36711543
How does knowing what someone is going to do have to anything to do with what they choose to do?

>Why is "the test" not based on how good of a person you were but instead a matter of whether or not you believed in god?
It's both
>>
File: 1493593075333.png (476KB, 693x798px) Image search: [Google]
1493593075333.png
476KB, 693x798px
>>36711699
If there's no purpose to it then why does it happen?
>>
>>36711613
Doesn't that mean that there's just one big soul though?
>>
>>36711750
Humans invented the word purpose

Purpose is not a concept that exists in the universe. There is no purpose to anything. But I can still get up at 5 am, climb a mountain, and watch the sunrise

You don't need a God to have viewpoints on purpose that transcend our simple existence
>>
>>36711750
Why would the why matter? Not everything needs a purpose and not everything needs to matter. You say we're made of some other kind of energy that can be measured but no one has picked it up, why is that?
>>
>>36711750
Reminder that Joe meet the woman of his dreams, found success and acclaim, and raised a family of six children. Then he and his wife were forced to poison their beautiful children before committing suicide to avoid a worse fate at the hands of godless bolsheviks and because they could not endure a world without national socialism.

There is no god.
>>
>>36711661
>Free will doesn't exist.
It is very clearly stated to in the bible. If it didn't exist, why would god create people in full knowledge they were ultimately doomed to hell from the very beginning?

>how can you believe in his standards to see if you were a "good person"
Instead of his standards being something along the lines of simply "don't hurt anyone if you don't have to", he needs to add all sorts of stupid arbitrary shit like commanding people to stone fags to death (who will go to hell), killing disobedient children, eating "unclean" animals and shellfish = hell, mixed cloths = hell. Oh but wait! With the sacrifice of Jesus EVERYTHING can now be forgiven if you ask nicely! Rape, murder, theft, arson, as long as you pray to god for forgiveness with all your heart you're set. But if you ever, ever blaspheme god in any way you'll never be forgiven, even if you did it as a dumb little kid. Sorry, game over before you ever had a chance.

Who the fuck comes up with this? It sounds a lot like something that a desert person who had his brain fried by the sun would come up with. How does it make any semblance of sense to you?

>Man doesn't deserve another Eden
It's not our fault this supposedly omniscient being somehow didn't see the fall of man coming and divert our course from it. An all-powerful deity is completely capable of making a perfect world where there is no suffering and only happy fun times, without the need for some bullshit, ridiculously skewed test.
>>
>>36711719
>How does knowing what someone is going to do have to anything to do with what they choose to do?
Because you are not omniscient if you don't know what they're going to choose to do. And if you are omniscient and know what they will ultimately choose which condemns them to hell, you have created a person for the sole purpose of torturing them forever.
>>
>>36709938
well technically you don't sleep with a man the way you sleep with a woman

checkmate christfags
>>
>>36711779
Yes, that is what people mean by the "oneness" or the fundamental interconnection between "everything"

>>36711786
>>36711798
Nothing happens for no reason. I don't drink water because its there. I don't lie still for hours and sleep because I want too. A chameleon doesn't camouflage itself to look cool. A bird doesn't grow wings to stay on the ground. To insinuate that "oh its all just a coincidence" is ignorant. Even as a human being, I know you strive for some greater meaning to life. You strive to have a purpose as a human, to make your time in this world have a "meaning." Whether or not one is divined for you from an omnipotent "God" or the universe is another argument, but everything has its purpose.
>>
What does the bible say about owning slaves?
>>
>>36709582
>You raise transcendental questions, and you expect an answer to them in language that is only made for immanent knowledge

Not that anon, but this here is my major issue with christianity and most religion in general. Whenever a legit criticism is brought up the answer is always "you gotta have faith" or some derivative. I see this the same way as a salesman trying to tell me about some incredible deal, yet when questioned about something he can't answer he says "ya just gotta trust me". If you trust that salesman you would be a fool, and I see the same thing with religion. Religion is selling a lifestyle with leads to the prosperity of those in positions of power in that religion.

The bible is inherently flawed, the religion is fundamentally deceitful and those who follow it either don't know any better, prosper from the conversion of others or are just idiots.
>>
File: 12.png (88KB, 166x182px) Image search: [Google]
12.png
88KB, 166x182px
Friendly reminder that Jesus was a nigger.
>>
>>36711975
>This shitty response
Nigga, just because things happen does not inherently mean there's an objective purpose to it or that a god did it. That's the beauty of logic, it doesn't have to follow your feelings. How the fuck do you know nothing happens for no inherent reason?
>>
>>36711975
All of those examples you just listed are for survival. There is no "purpose" to this life aside from drink/eat>fuck>sleep>repeat. We are here to survive and nothing more, the only ultimate goal is to alleviate some of the suffering and make that survival more comfy.
>>
>>36712043
Because if something happens for no reason, then why did it happen? It's as simple as that.

If a tree falls down, why did it fall? Was there a reason for it falling? To infer that "oh i dunno dude it just fell down lmao" is fucking stupid. Someone cut the tree down, or maybe lightning hit it, or maybe it was rotting. A tree doesn't just "fall" because why not.

>>36712063
But survival is a REASON to do those things. Living creatures don't do them for no reason, now do they? They're done for the exact purpose of survival.
>>
>>36712158
>Because if something happens for no reason, then why did it happen?
Stupid question that doesn't answer anything. You're implying things can't happen for no reason therefore they don't. You're gonna need evidence for your claim that's not a stupid question. Not everything needs a reason, this is the default logic, to say everything does need a reason you're gonna need evidence to support it
>>
>>36712158
Survival doesn't imply a living Universe.
>>
>>36712158
You are trying to equate biological mechanics with some sort of ultimate spiritual purpose of this life. If a tree was struck by lightning, all that means is that lightning happened to strike that tree. It didn't happen for any particular reason ie "Fuck that tree!", it happened because of a reaction that occurred in a cloud. Much in the same way that animals want to survive because their primitive subconscious tells them to.
>>
File: jeyzaz.jpg (38KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
jeyzaz.jpg
38KB, 468x240px
MUHHH JAEYYYYYYYZAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>36711876
>>36711847
Still waiting on a response for these.
>>
>>36712223
What evidence can I possibly offer you besides what's in front of your eyes? Literally everything is connected in a fundamental way throughout the universe. Therefore, the impetus for action is shared between all things. One event cannot occur without catalyst. I can not be a human being if the genetic matter from my mother and father didn't coalesce into cells. They cannot be human beings if there was not the matter on earth to sustain life, or the matter to create the genetic material. The matter on earth could not be there if it was not for the spreading of matter throughout the universe. I could go on an on.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What you're proposing is that there can be actions, and no reactions. Which as a fundamental law, cannot be so.

>>36712253
>>36712321
The universe literally reproduces itself through stars. The universe would not survive if there was not matter and energy, so it takes what energy it created at its inception and reproduces it over and over again. Im not saying it has a "spiritual connection" to humanity, but I am saying that humanity and life on earth share this quality in the way that we ourselves reproduce. Humanity would not survive if there was not matter (cells) and energy (food for cells) to reproduce itself with.

The tree is just a metaphor, and even so, why would the reaction in the cloud happen? What caused it to happen? It didn't happen for no reason.
>>
File: fuck.png (156KB, 400x475px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
156KB, 400x475px
Anyone ever feel like they know the Bible is true but they're an evil apostate turning away from the light of the Lord?
Y-you know?
>>
>>36712427
>What evidence can I possibly offer you besides what's in front of your eyes?
>le look at the trees fallacy
Are you retarded? None of this implies a purpose to the Universe besides one that is subjective, Your question doesn't even need to be answered or even taken seriously due to the strong evidence that there is seemingly no purpose to the Universe.

>Humanity would not survive if there was not matter (cells) and energy (food for cells) to reproduce itself with
Are you implying humanities survival means anything?
>>
File: 1490388044194.jpg (24KB, 385x385px) Image search: [Google]
1490388044194.jpg
24KB, 385x385px
Never understood why robots seem to hate Christianity so much, it makes a lot of sense from a pragmatic sense.

> gives you something to do every week
> keep your meat diet (like bacon)
> there's an all-powerful God that loves you and died for your sins
> meet other people, like girls your age
>>
>>36712427
The only true "reason" in this universe is pain v pleasure. You eat because starvation hurts. You drink because dehydration hurts. You wear clothes because the cold is uncomfortable or for general protection. You shit because holding it in hurts and makes you sick. All actions of a sane human are done for the sole purpose of minimizing pain and maximizing pleasure.

A tree falling because it was struck by lighting is a biological reaction. There is no "reason" behind it. Learning how the lightning formed, transferred energy to the tree and destroyed it explains why it happened biologically but does not in any way imply there was some sort of specific intent behind this happening.
>>
>>36712476
The bible is absolute bullshit and is what made me stop believing.
>>
>>36712588
It's not real. And I don't need an obligation to get up early on the weekend, go listen to a boring lecture, and feel awkward in a crowd.
>>
>>36712611
Have you prayed about it? How did that make you feel?
>>
>>36712631
Prayed about what exactly? I prayed about all sorts of things and nothing ever happened. The one time I had my throat blessed I got strep the day after.
>>
>>36712588
>gives you something to do every week
>keep your meat diet (like bacon)
>meet other people, like girls your age
You know you can do all these things without some bullshit religion, right?
>>
>>36712588
You're telling a bunch of jaded, ruinous faggots that someone is looking out for them and that "it's all worth it bro."

Humans are short sighted, but religion is a crock
>>
>>36712669
Prayed about whether or not the bible is true. God speaks to those who will hear.
>>
>>36712704
>Implying it is not Lord Ignis who is listening

Prove me wrong.
>>
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com
I very highly recommend christians skim through this at least once. When you look at the bible from an unbiased perspective it is one of the most violent and dehumanizing things you will ever read. Le fedora does not invalidate anything in this.
>>
>>36712732
That's a silly story line written by a nipponese. The bible is the inspired perfect Word.
>>
>>36712704
I have. When I was little I innocently asked things like "why do you hate animals so much" and the sort and never received an answer, much like every other prayer anyone has ever made.
>>
>>36712762
Actually, The Book of Light is the inspired, perfect word.

I don't see you proving me wrong.

>>36712755
Delet this
>>
Christian Robots, explain this joke to me.
>inb4 robot chicken
Was Jesus around when Jason and the Argonauts were?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJJY_1jtO4U
>>
>>36712833
The twist is christianity is the joke.
>>
And in terms of power level, how powerful is Zeus compared to YHWH?

Is it bad to compare the two?
>>
And will Religion help me in the path of drawing
>>
File: A_Novice_Pavel_Rhyzhenko.jpg (2MB, 1900x1796px) Image search: [Google]
A_Novice_Pavel_Rhyzhenko.jpg
2MB, 1900x1796px
Eastern Orthodoxy is the true Robot religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJODxvgkfE0
>>
>>36713509
>suffer and hate people for absolutely no reason - the religion
Oh wait there's already a million of those. The only thing it has going for it is that they generally hate muslims much more but they still aren't my friends by any means.
>>
>>36713569
>and hate people for absolutely no reason - the religion

No

>Hatred is the devil's poison, and just as we put a little yeast in a hundred pounds of flour, it has such power that it causes all the dough to rise, so it is with hatred. It transforms all the good we do into the devil's poison.

-Saint Kosmas Aitolos
>>
Give me a quick rundown on Satan/Lucifer.
>>
>>36713661
That goes against the direct word of god, biblically. You are not a real christian if you cherrypick his word.
>>
>>36713062
It would probably be a fair fight? YHWH technically is the patron war god of the Hebrews though, so who knows what he's got down his sleeve, and he did cuck a bunch of other gods in the area with his followers. All of Olympus would probably have Zeus's back if it really came down to it though.
>>
>>36713862
You sound like a protestant.
>>
>>36713841
he bad guy
>>
>>36713862
>You are not a real christian if
Why do non Christians always try to make these agruments?
>>
>>36714001
Because you have a very clear set of rules and Matthew 5:17-18 is a thing.
>>
>>36713947
but girls like bad boys
>>
>>36714052
girls are bad guys
>>
>>36709538
>But how can it be true that we can choose anything if the choices are already known because of God's omniscience?

I think it's possible that omniscience means God does not know what our choices will be, but rather
He knows every possible choice we can make and their consequences. It's similar to the solution to the omnipotence paradox, which raises the idea that God cannot be all-powerful because he cannot create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift. God's omnipotence does not mean he can do anything at all, but rather he can do everything that is in His nature. In Judges it says that God cannot commit a sin, for instance, because He is fundamentally good. Similarly, He may have limits on his omniscience imposed by His divine nature, even though that seems counterintuitive.
>>
>>36714094
>God does not know what our choices will be
Then he can't possibly be omnipotent.
>>
>>36714119
omniscient oops
>>
File: 1493531565507.png (75KB, 205x187px) Image search: [Google]
1493531565507.png
75KB, 205x187px
>>36710633
I'm Episcopalian and I've struggled with this too. On the one hand, I like that it's possible to be a member of our church and still believe in things like evolution and not have to check our brains at the door. On the other, it feels like by being super liberal we don't really stand for anything. I think there are even some Episcopal bishops who deny the Virgin Birth, which is kind of heretical.
>>
>>36710633
>>36714156
Become Orthodox, friends.
>>
File: venus.jpg (1MB, 2560x1608px) Image search: [Google]
venus.jpg
1MB, 2560x1608px
>>36714119
Like I said, God's omniscience might carry some restrictions similar to the way God's omnipotence carries restrictions. God obeys the laws of logic because God is eternally logical in the same way that God does not perform evil actions because God is eternally good. So, God, by nature logical and unable to violate the laws of logic, cannot make a boulder so heavy he cannot lift it because that would violate the law of non contradiction by creating an immovable object and an unstoppable force.
>>
>>36710633
This is such a foul mindset
It's amazing protestantism is so popular
You're shopping for a religion. That's not how religion works
>>
>>36714217
You can't be omniscient***, you either are or you are not. If he doesn't know what we'll choose he isn't omniscient. If he does there can be no free will and he makes certain people predestined for hell. I went through all the mental gymnastics you have trying to defend this until I accepted that I couldn't.
>>
File: Bougerau.jpg (204KB, 800x1556px) Image search: [Google]
Bougerau.jpg
204KB, 800x1556px
>>36714208
Considering it actually senpai. My gf is Orthodox and finds a lot of meaning in it. I think it might be a bit too conservative and fundamentalist for me though. I'd feel like a poser if I joined.
>>
>>36714248
What other way would you suggest he go about it, just happen to stumble upon the "right" faith?
>>
>>36714277
So do you get to fuck your gf before marriage or what?
>>
>>36714728
I'm not interested in sex before marriage.
>>
File: 1429129619690.jpg (376KB, 1600x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1429129619690.jpg
376KB, 1600x1509px
>>36714277
>I think it might be a bit too conservative and fundamentalist for me though.

This is a common misconception, once you embrace Holy Orthodoxy you find it changes you down to your very person.
>>
>>36708189
That is weirdly comforting.

Tbh, life was better as a Christfag.
>>
>>36710615
>believing something written in the 16th century by people with their own agendas is any more valid than making random shit up in current year
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.