[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do cube wagies actually do? I never understood what someone

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: 18791982874.jpg (10KB, 219x230px) Image search: [Google]
18791982874.jpg
10KB, 219x230px
What do cube wagies actually do? I never understood what someone working in IT actually does all day. Do they just crunch numbers or send emails for the company?
>>
basically nothing
it's a meme occupation to prove their dedication to mammon god of dollars
>>
Well, I work in IT.

Today a disk failed in a RAID array on my domain controller. I spent a lot of the day waiting for it to rebuild only to find out the drive has errors so I replaced it and am currently rebuilding.

I also fixed some code in a website to get rid of an annoying pop pup.

I looked into an issue where someone wasn't getting an email they were expecting. Turned out to be user error.

I pointed some DNS records to a new server because we launched a new website today. I had to test things to make sure they worked.

I also tested doing a physical to virtual conversion of a server, which I'll do for real on the weekend...

Does that answer your question?
>>
>>36705721
>which I'll do for real on the weekend
Why would you work at the weekend?
>>
>>36705749
Sometimes there's things you can only do when nobody is logged in to their computers. Like taking down a critical server.
Most companies will either give you overtime pay or, in my case, I take time off in lieu
>>
File: 02f.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
02f.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
>>36705721
>Today a disk failed in a RAID array on my domain controller. I spent a lot of the day waiting for it to rebuild only to find out the drive has errors so I replaced it and am currently rebuilding.
i dont think i understand this. explain like i was a 10 year old please. why would it fail in the first place? are you just installing drivers for shit? i do that for free
>I also fixed some code in a website to get rid of an annoying pop pup.
again, this hardly seems like something you would need a degree to do. I could just google "how to get rid of pop-up" and work that solution easily
>I looked into an issue where someone wasn't getting an email they were expecting. Turned out to be user error.
so an old retard cant into gmail and you had to explain to them that they are retards
>I pointed some DNS records to a new server because we launched a new website today. I had to test things to make sure they worked.
what does this mean
>I also tested doing a physical to virtual conversion of a server, which I'll do for real on the weekend...
what does this mean
>Does that answer your question?
no, elaborate. what are you doing all of this for? are you selling a product or service?
>>
>>36705808
>again, this hardly seems like something you would need a degree to do. I could just google "how to get rid of pop-up" and work that solution easily

Not the anon you're responding to. But I work as a web developer with no degree. Turns out they don't care as long as you know how to program. And yes most of my work process involves googling the solution to what I'm trying to do.
>>
bump for wagie answers
>>
>>36705377
I used to work in help desk for a large school board. It's pretty self-explanatory, people call or email with whatever issue, we attempt to resolve it during the first call or escalate the issue to a second level support group. For every interaction we have to document the steps we did and take down any relevant information.

Occasionally we have to write or revise documentation for some new procedure or service we support.
>>
>>36705721
Ty mr anderson you can return to your cube dont ever get late again.
>>
File: 58848.jpg (5KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
58848.jpg
5KB, 250x242px
>>36706546
wait, so you guys basically don't do shit and are just there because boomers are computer illiterate and you make 6-7 figures doing so? this is fucking BULLSHIT
>>
>>36705377
I write marketing copy. So newsletter articles, social media, scripts for commercials, that kind of thing. It's pretty easy work and the pay is pretty good. Like most white collar workers I spend most of my day staring at my phone while drinking coffee.
>>
>>36705808
>i dont think i understand this.
hard drives have moving parts. they wear out and need to be replaced. servers normally have redundant drives, just in case one fails. if it fails, you need to replace it and rebuild the link between the drives.
..i'm not installing "drivers"
>>36705808
>again, this hardly seems like something you would need a degree to do.
you're right. you dont' need a degree to work in IT. I google a lot of what i need to do as well.
in this case, i had to find the function in the php code, among some poorly named and confusing functions to get at the line i needed to adjust

>what does this mean
...DNS is the way the internet translates words into ip addresses for websites. i told the internet to "instead of looking in this place, look in that place for this website"

>what does this mean
... i reallly don't want to type out an explanation of this.
http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/definition/server-virtualization

>no, elaborate. what are you doing all of this for? are you selling a product or service?
i'm the IT guy for a small company. i exchange my time and knowledge for money.
>>
>>36705377
I'm in network operations for one of the biggest railroads. I basically just perform diagnostics on things all day long and sometimes bark orders to technicians out in the field or to vendors like AT&T or Sprint to fix their shit went lease from them.

Currently I focus on the implementation of Positive Train Control, which is actually much more interesting that what I used to do (basic routers/switches/access points). Now I perform diagnostics on cool radios and microwave towers and other fun things. And my new coworker is a cute Asian girl who I just know wants to get bleached.
>>
>>36706738
nobody makes 6 let alone 7 figures doing It
>>
>>36706598
i come and go as i please
>>
>>36705721
how much are you paid. sounds like you basically do some critical functions.
>>
>>36706921
I earn $75,000/year. It's a mid range salary for IT people in my area of the world.
Consultants can make a LOT more.
Someone just starting out at a help desk will make a lot less.
>>
>>36706831
got it, so you replaced a faulty driver, fixed a pop-up message, edited DNS for the new website, and planned to install virtual machines on a single server that can run multiple instances of whatever. how long does this all take? I feel like realistically that's a couple hours max, if that. what does your company do?

>>36706871
what does that mean when you perform diagnostics on things? are you just plugging your laptop into a server and running some diagnostics program and then reinstalling things?

>>36706872
starting salary is 50k, average is 110k after a 5 years
>>
>>36707068
a lot of IT is waiting for progress bars. in all honestly, for the amount of work i actually do, it's a pretty sweet deal.
>>
When all the baby boomers are retired. What will happen to IT jobs. I know there are still retards in the world but since most people know how to google shit would the job (mostly) go obsolete?
>>
>>36707161
Help desk guy here, a lot of people (mostly women) under 30 are still completely illiterate and need help just connecting their phone to the wi-fi
>>
>>36707161
No because people are always too lazy to figure even the most basic of things out when someone else can do it for them.
>>
>>36707161
you'd be surprised at the amount of gen x-ers and millennials that have no idea how to do things beyond basic functions.
the average age of people at my company is 36 years old, and i'm fully employed.
>>
>>36707204
That is true, I've seen some of the most saddest interaction with women and technology.
>>
>>36707161
I would argue that the generation currently growing up with the iPad are going to be even more helpless. They ONLY know retard-proof UIs and smartphones. A lot of kids growing up right know will only ever use a desktop operating system at school on occasion. If it's not a smartphone app, they don't understand it even remotely.
>>
>>36707293
I'm scared for the future
>>
>>36707319
That's the least of your concerns. Don't be scared, be depressed. The future is low IQ brown people and very, very few white people. Your culture, your people, your nation, all are dying. It's all downhill form here, as bad as it is now, your children will be even worse off.

But the future for IT nerds is pretty good on an individual level, lots of money and easy jobs. Just soul crushing on the spiritual level as you watch society be obliterated around you.
>>
>>36707427
standard of living has been steadily increasing for the last 500 years though anon. don't let /pol/-tier memes convince you otherwise. they were saying this 50, 100, 200, 300 years ago about the next generation, and they were all wrong.
>>
>>36706738

Boomers?

No mate. You don't even know how many people in the 20-30 age range give us tickets each day.

Today one sent me a screenshot of the issue they claimed we needed to replace their monitor for.

A screenshot of a broken monitor.
>>
>>36707427
Personally, I'm not very afraid. Ive lost the will to even give knowledge to people unless im getting paid. I can't change the way the world works. Im just in it for the ride.
>>
>>36707551
one told me the projector was broken. the lens cap was on.
>>
"I swear I remember my password and my security questions but the computer just won't accept them"
>>
>create HTML page
>put some fields and buttons
>put some javascript
>write API with business logic
>test
>repeat
>>
>>36707643
My butthole clenched after reading that
>>
>>36707161
people born after about 1992 are completely fucking hopeless with computers. they do not have a clue how they work.
>>
>>36707666
TRIPLE DIGITS
>>
>>36707685
Oops i was born in 94 fml
Still a job at boeing is a great 2nd job i got when i was 20
>>
>>36706871
My brother works for NFS, says PTS is a pile of expensive bullshit the government has been pushing for awhile that essentially will make train operation more hectic.
>>
>>36707551
>>36707654
man IT sounds like the comfiest jobs and yet you fags still complain

>arrive at work, sit down and have coffee for 30 minutes while browsing the internet
>open your emails, one is from karen saying she forgot her password
>send her an email instructing her how to reset password
>mess around with website a little bit
>2 hours of browsing the internet, talking with colleagues about current events
>take a 2 hour lunch, catch a matinee
>karen sent you another email saying her computer is broken with a picture of a monitor thats not even plugged in
>tell her you'll get on that tomorrow
>go home and get a solid 8 hours of sleep

fucking cubies are living the dream
>>
>>36707844
I was a technician with my dad my dad has been with company for 35 years before it was boeing. It was an ok job. I fucked around alot but i knew what i was doing and got my job done. But my goodness, almost everyone was a tard.
>>
think i could get a reasonably comfy cubejob if i got an associates in IT and ended up getting really good grades and good recommendations? i think i'm too stupid to program, i fell for the alcoholism meme, and i don't know if i can spend four more years of my life on school. also been self employed for four years so no real references to speak of there, though i guess what ive been doing is fairly legitimate. is the social interaction spoopy? i think that would be the most stressful part for me. otherwise i would unironically love to just install software all day and swap hdds in and out and shiieet.
>>
>>36707862
It hurts because it's true
>>
>>36707844
Ptc is fucking over the railroads hardcore right now because it's expensive as hell and wasn't really needed. The next few years are definitely hectic for railroads but it'll be okay after that. The standardization and interoperability of the system is quite impressive. But ya, right now it's a big hectic mess. Finance/business cucks are seething mad because this shit costs billions and the CEO basically won't approve funding anything other than PTC stuff right now and investors can't get their jew dividends until after the project is complete in a few years.
>>
>>36705721
wow your existence is meaningless
>>
>>36707862
Not for me. I work as a DBA and it's stressful as fuck sometimes.

It does have its comfy moments though.
>>
>>36707068
>what does that mean when you perform diagnostics on things? are you just plugging your laptop into a server and running some diagnostics program and then reinstalling things?
It means a lot of different things that I'm not gonna bother explaining because I'm on my phone and heading to the gym soon. But I do all of my work from a comfy ergonomic chair at a desk with 6 computer monitors. For PTC issues, I get alarms from waysides, base stations, or locomotives and then work those. My job is to find out what's not working, why isn't it working, what does it affect, and how/who can we fix it. Mostly this involves checking for radio interference (we have a LOT of rail and thus have tens of thousands of waysides to look at). Lots of waysides = lots of radio waves = lots of interference.
>>
File: pop pup tent.jpg (86KB, 446x378px) Image search: [Google]
pop pup tent.jpg
86KB, 446x378px
>>36705721
>pop pup
>>
I'm not in IT, but I sit in a cube all day.

I crunch numbers, write code, and procrastinate. I hate it.
>>
>>36706921
19 on helpdesk with starting salary $47,000/year
>>
Just sitting in a chair watching 8 hours of (good) movies makes my back hurt and seem like a chore. I can't imagine having to sit in an office chair under fluorescent lights cranking out emails everyday in a windowless office. I'd blow my brains out after 2 years.

I like working with my hands and moving around and probably have ADD though
>>
I sit in a chair waiting for applications to come in (about 15 come in a day and it takes maybe 5 min to do one).
If there's something wrong with it I digitally highlight it and send it for review.
If not I process it through data entry software and generate a result that gets sent to the client.
Then I store it in a virtual file.
>>
>>36710868
>virtual
A digital file folder

Even after offices have gone paperless, they use the same inefficient work-flows
>>
>>36707862
Not comfy at all. You are sitting in your basement imagining what it's like. You have no clue.
>>
>>36705377
IT drone here

Working on building some new fnctionality in our product for efficiently moving large amounts (terabytes or petabytes) of data around a hybrid cloud system efficiently.

Containerizing our automated test tools.

Fixing bugs that the testers find.

Helping solve customer problems when regular tech support can't figure it out.
>>
>>36707862
Not how it is at all man.

Printers break, a lot. Internet goes down, a lot. Laptop HDs fail and you gotta replace those. If something breaks, you gotta fix it.
>>
>>36707068
>starting salary is 50k, average is 110k after a 5 years

It's not, maybe for specialize management, but for most guys, it's. 50k
>>
>>36707216
This. If I had the money I'd hire someone to fill forms for me and shit because I hate doing it and it takes me a long time to do, even though I'm able to do it in principle. It's no different with other people and computer stuff.
>>
>>36707643
Happened to me several times. Was also easy to prove that it really was something wrong with the computer because I could login fine into my email account (which was linked to the computer account) on a different PC.
>>
>>36705721
What kind of degree did you get. I want to work in IT as well but I don't know much but I'd like to go to school for it.
>>
>>36712093
Degrees are a scam. Do IT in the military for 4/5 years instead and get paid.
>>
>>36712550
I can't join the military because I look after my disabled dad I can't leave him or he'd be fucked.
>>
>>36712093
meme for-profit university degree. biggest mistake of my life.

get certifications instead. A+, CCNA, MCSE
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.