[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every single one of you who are planning to goto university

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 301
Thread images: 31

File: Untitled.png (27KB, 193x106px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
27KB, 193x106px
Every single one of you who are planning to goto university in order to escape NEETdom should watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfYot1IsqCM
>>
The only downside to college is that for the great majority of people, the cost greatly outweighs the benefit, with most people being in debt for years if not decades.
Also, (((molymeme)))
>>
>>36682473
But I'm learning a trade.
>>
File: oskar.jpg (15KB, 370x279px) Image search: [Google]
oskar.jpg
15KB, 370x279px
>>36682473

I don't understand, why does he think the standard of education or curriculum will be any different regardless of college being free? It's a presupposition.
>>
>>36682473
Nobody should be listening to this moron, free college doesn't make a degree worthless, it lowers the barriers of entry for those who are capable
He is forcing this free college=bad too hard
>>
>>36682821
Who's paying for this free college though, Mr Sanders?
>>
>>36682473
who the fuck is this guy and why should I listen to him? I already know that college is useless and will barely privilege me over kids straight out of highschool, but keep me inferior to a person who has even a year of relevant experience. Thanks.
>>
>>36682853
the average tax payer, just like they pay for schools
>>
This video actually made me realize I was wasting my time at uni.
>>
>>36682473
I need to get a bachelors in something so I can move to nippland
After I get there I can neet until I figure it out
>>
>>36683050
The only job you can get in nipland as a gaijen is english teacher and have fun competing with weebs who have been learning nip since middleschool
>>
File: 1493240952935.png (345KB, 720x716px) Image search: [Google]
1493240952935.png
345KB, 720x716px
>tfw two years into a chem engineering degree
>not sure if chem eng is a meme or not
>>
what about resume qualifications?
what about CONNECTIONS?
>>
>>36682651
Because it's already happening.
>>
>>36683086
My uncle lived there for 3 years working at a convenience store
He stayed in a friends house and paid occasional rent and said it was some of the most enjoyable years of his life
>>
Only way I'd support (((free))) college is if they greatly increased the standards of education, cut the fat in colleges, and dramatically increased the education requirements. College is no longer seen as a prestigious extension of education, it's now just for kids to get brainwashed and delay adulthood for 4 more years
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuQrKfJj3hw
>>
Fine advice for liberal arts majors, but good luck getting a good job in STEM without a degree. And please don't reply to me with anecdotal stories about how your uncle did it.
>>
>Average student loan debt $37,172
>End up learning your major isn't as marketable as it was when you were a freshman
>Work a shitty paying job to pay off debt for years and years and can only afford to live with parents
>"College is worth the risk"
>>
is this whole vid just going to rant on about how useless lib arts is?

college =/= liberal arts
>>
>>36683156
sounds pretty cool id love do something like that.
>>
>>36683220
It is. I really wish I had a degree in anything. My earnings ceiling is pretty low.
>>
>>36683247
Yeah that's how I'd want to spend the rest of my life
Maybe I'd even find a wife
>>
>>36682473
>College = Job training
Why are Americans so retarded?
>>
>>36683220
>not having a scholarship
>not getting grants and stipends
>>
>>36683283

How in any way is that desirable?
>>
>>36683358
Good luck getting training without nepotism. You can't even become an apprentice for a trade without a certification
>>
>>36682473

This guy would have a lot more impact to what he says if he didn't keep "apologizing" for saying what he means after he says it.
>>
>>36683382
Unless you're getting a worthless meme degree, having a degree will increase your job prospects more than not having one with very, very few exceptions
>>
File: Bjork-Debut.jpg (195KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
Bjork-Debut.jpg
195KB, 1417x1417px
His logic is retarded, he assumes that free college = people are going to flood universities and there will be an oversaturation of degrees. But what actually happens is simply that there isn't enough room for everyone, so colleges still have to use admission tests and such, so all the people that go to college will still be the rich kids, except everyone else will still be paying for them.
>>
As Stefan said, there's no point in going to higher education if there's even a sliver of a chance you could do what you want to do without a degree, and that unless you literally need to go to school to do what you want to do legally there's literally no point.
>>
>>36683484
>people are going to flood universities and there will be an oversaturation of degrees

Isn't that already happening?
>>
>>36683484
>>36683484
>His logic is retarded, he assumes that free college = people are going to flood universities and there will be an oversaturation of degrees.

That's literally exactly what's happening in Australia right now.

Shit, people are even PAID to goto university here in Australia, it's called Austudy AKA Study-Bux. I know people who literally are in university doing literal useless meme degrees just to get Study-Bux because they cannot be bothered working.

I know all about this because I've literally been part of it, it's a fucking joke at how bad it's become. I remember there being people who couldn't even spell and were in general, dumb as bricks, and yet they were in 3rd/4th year units, and some how they were passing, barely.

You know how they were passing? Because people get passed for almost anything now. I tested this myself, I handed in an incomplete essay (did literally 20-30% of it) and I still got a pass on it, bare minimum mark, but a pass. They're literally passing people so the university can keep getting paid their huge government money.
>>
File: spottheleaf.png (330KB, 1280x1235px) Image search: [Google]
spottheleaf.png
330KB, 1280x1235px
>>36683450
He's legally required by Canadian law to apologize for every sentence he says due to having white male priveledge
>>
>>36683228

You STEMcucks need to get off your high horse and realize that STEM is not some golden ticket to the middle class. Yes a lot of people do well with STEMcucks end up making a decent living but there's also plenty of underemployed STEM graduates.

Before 1940 fields like accounting and engineering were apprenticeship based. You did not need a college degree to become an engineer or an accountant back then.

College and education in general are rent-seeking scams that exist primarily to steal the future earnings of their students. We've reached the point where you need to spend the first quarter of your finite lifespan in a classroom, getting advanced degrees before you can start making any real money. The chief beneficiaries of this system are your nitwit high school and elementary school teachers. The K-12 educating system is churning out kids that can barely read, write, and solve simple algebra problems largely because the teachers themselves can barely read, write, or solve algebra problems:

"In 2013-14, only 48 percent of aspiring black teachers and 56 percent of prospective Hispanic educators passed, compared to 75 percent of white candidates, the website Chalkbeat reported in February."

http://nypost.com/2017/03/06/state-considering-major-changes-to-teacher-certification-exams/
>>
File: iqcollege.png (46KB, 784x581px) Image search: [Google]
iqcollege.png
46KB, 784x581px
>>36683604
>Because people get passed for almost anything now. I tested this myself, I handed in an incomplete essay (did literally 20-30% of it) and I still got a pass on it, bare minimum mark, but a pass. They're literally passing people so the university can keep getting paid their huge government money.

This.

University has become a farce.
>>
File: spottheleaf.png (317KB, 766x604px) Image search: [Google]
spottheleaf.png
317KB, 766x604px
>>36683646
Fucking paint bullshit program
>>
>>36683720
I know clausation =/= causation but look at that graph with the number of non-white individuals that now occupy that country and attending that university
>>
>>36683665
As a STEM major I really hate the amount of self righteousness I see among my class mates. I'd estimate a good 80% are people who were/are fedoralords who constantly have to talk down at others who are not STEM, which is ironic as they definitely seem like the type of people who've been bullied their entire lives and now they believe the tables have been turned
>>
>>36683767
The image says it only averaged white iqs.
>>
>>36683767
Look at the first chart.The mean IQ score for white college graduates is going down too.

The entire higher education system is a farce.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAgTjsxJ8NE

>he has three university degrees
>delivers people's lunches

Don't go to uni, kiddos.
>>
>>36684265
I read his article. His degrees are in media, women's studies, and asian history
>>
>>36684265
Why would you get three degrees?
>>
>>36684337

because general education requirements carry over, and likely so do "electives" making each subsequent additional degree only about 1-1.5 years of full-time course work.
>>
>>36684337
His degrees were joke degrees which he was probably able to complete at the same time.
>>
>>36684456
Yeah but why would he do it, or at least why advertise it? Having multiple equal level unrelated qualifications seems like it would look bad on an employment CV, or even on a grad school application.
>>
>>36683484
poor nigger detected
>>
>>36682473
>Stefan Molyneux
>ever
>>
>>36684797
He probably was under the impression that it would look good. As already pointed out his degrees were literal garbage.
>>
The medical field counts as STEM, right? I was thinking about doing something like this.

Anything that's objective would be a good idea it seems.
>>
>>36683665
>The chief beneficiaries of this system are your nitwit high school and elementary school teachers.
Someone is benefiting but it's not the rank and file teachers.
>>
>>36684963
>The medical field counts as STEM, right?
Medicine itself isn't STEM, otherwise it depends on what you're doing.
>>
>>36684840
not an (original) argument (originally)
>>
>>36684963
Medical is seen as its own field. It's far too broad to be just compacted and classified as STEM. Also the students and the culture in the fields are vastly different.
>>
>>36684963
Medical is its own thing. Besides, you do NOT want to be classified as a STEM student. I am one and I hate most of the other students in STEM - most are edgy fedoralord manchildren who spout reddit memes.
>>
>>36685096
There's something cringey about your post. Are you in CS or Engineering?
>>
>>36685172
>calling me cringey for calling out the dregs in our field
Did I strike a nerve or are you just too inept to see them?
>>
This guy is a fucking dipshit. Don't take life advice from a sensationalist, click bait youtuber. Data says you are going to make more money than you otherwise would with certain degrees. If you are reasonably confident you can get a given job without the appropriate degree, then do it. But if you have no reason to believe that whatsoever except your own wishful view of your meandering life, you should try to go to university for something.
>>
This man is a total moron. There are strong arguments against "free" college. This isn't one of them. This guy comes up with a bizarre theory and then just argues from the supposition that it's true. A very confused thinker.
>>
>>36685213
You just sound like "I'm not like other girls" girls.
>>
File: 1490186545726.png (305KB, 960x530px) Image search: [Google]
1490186545726.png
305KB, 960x530px
WHY HAVEN'T YOU DISOWNED YOUR FAMILY THEY'RE TRYING TO KILL YOU
>>
File: 4L_00rKwB9M.jpg (22KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
4L_00rKwB9M.jpg
22KB, 401x401px
>>36682473
>Officially a senior at a Florida University
>In a degree that taught me cyber security, smartphone app development, and web design and programming.
>Florida prepaid means it is free for me
D-do I drop out now?
>>
>>36683089
Well it pays well, right?
>>
>>36682473
go to college if what you want to do requires it, but for fuck's sake, don't go just go to go
that's the biggest issue, if you know you want to study history and get a phd, then good, go to college. But going to college just because other people go is retarded
>>
>>36685265
Are you saying that to be in STEM I have to be a neckbeard who raves about Star Wars and Capeshit, sucks on a vape throughout class, plays my 3DS in public, and spout reddit memes? Note I said this is what MOST people I've had to deal with these past 3 years are like
>>
>>36684456
>>36684797

I think one of his degrees was a master's degree in public administration or something.

>>36684293
>>36684531

>His degrees were joke degrees which he was probably able to complete at the same time.

Yes his degrees are joke degrees but if you transport this fat Filipino guy into the year 1997 his credentials will have a lot more value. He'll probably land some paper pushing job in an office and become a manager within a few years. In 2017 he's peddling a bike around delivering food.

Stop being arrogant and realize that the same thing that happened to liberal arts degrees is already happening to engineering and science degrees. It's not like there's any shortage of skilled workers like redditphags want you to believe. I have a STEM degree and finding a job is still a real pain in the ass, and a lot of the work is contract based.

So I could easily see what happened to the Fat Filipino guy happen to a lot of unlucky STEM graduates over the next decade.

For example, this guy has a PhD in chemistry and he can't find a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ViQEsoxWfE
>>
I am right wing, but I can't stop getting the feeling that this guy is trying to run a cult.
>>
>>36685349
Where do you go to school lol?
>>
File: 11economix-degree-pew-blog480.png (162KB, 480x543px) Image search: [Google]
11economix-degree-pew-blog480.png
162KB, 480x543px
>>36685369
Enough with these anecdotes from lazy failures. There's zero excuse for someone with a PhD in Chemistry not to find a job. Look at the hard data. The wage premium from a college degree is increasing, not decreasing. That's an objective fact.
>>
>>36685369

At least you have a degree dude. There are other people existing in the same job market that don't have shit and have to work at FedEx assisting people with their printing jobs, and they've got much less hope of doing anything else. All they have are dreams, lottery tickets and menial entertainment. Maybe they'll reach management at their specific store in a couple of years, but they're probably going to be stuck there for a long, long time if not forever.
>>
>>36685213
You're overly concerned with negative associations that nobody important makes or gives a fuck.
>>
>>36685369
>For example, this guy has a PhD in chemistry and he can't find a job.
tbqh if he actually has a PhD in chemistry there's probably a very good reason why he can't find a job and it's probably a personal reason which he is most definitely refusing to get into like a criminal record or the fact that he doesn't want to move where the jobs are, or most likely he's being too picky with the jobs he wants.
>>
File: 022215krugman2-blog480.png (61KB, 480x316px) Image search: [Google]
022215krugman2-blog480.png
61KB, 480x316px
>>36685444
Now I'm confusedd.
>>
>>36685518
There are a few reasons why these graphs would appear to have a discrepancy.

1)Mine is based on five discrete data points and therefore can't show the decline beginning in 2008 from the great recession. Only the broader secular trend of an increasing wage premium is reflected.

2)Yours doesn't show the decline in earnings for people without college degrees which likewise were hit hard by the great recession. In fact the less educated suffered considerably more.

3) Your graph looks only at the earnings of men which is why the dollar amounts are so much higher.
>>
>>36683825
they bought into the "when you're older, you'll be their boss!" meme that people tell bullied kids all the time

it's a lie, obviously

but that's where it comes from
>>
>>36685706
Every boss you'll ever have will either be a Chad, or the closest Chad equivalent to whatever field he's in. The people who get bullied are weak, submissive, and had little/no friends which does not translate well to leadership, organization, or people management skills

As Blink 182 says "Highschool never ends"
>>
>>36682473
Watched most the video (gets redundant) and agreed wth most of what he said. I REALLY wished he didn't go on ranting about SJWs but of course all people like him do. I took many History classes and SJWs exist in the classroom but rarely/never with the professors. And learning about european history isn't pushing "white guilt" agenda, really wish people would stop saying that when the alternative (ignoring/whitewashing history) is so much more dangerous.
>>
>>36683825
That's exactly right and there's literally nothing wrong with that. University should be for those with brains and the only studies that require that are STEM or STEM related majors.
>>
>>36685846
>history
>white washed
>when whites wrote the history and built civilization
I think they got to you, lad.
>>
>>36685305
I'm wanting to do cyber security, is there alot of math involved?
>>
>>36685646
>mfw get bullshit athletic scholarship for soccer which I casually played to an average university
>show up for practice like 1 day a week, coach doesn't give a fuck cause nobody cares about this sport in america
>get $300 a month allotment for food and dorm housing paid for
>get free education
>MFW getting paid part time mcdonalds wage to sit around in my room eating chicken tendies and watching anime while getting a high paying degree

I feel bad for all the normies who take out 6 figure loans to advance their lives
>>
>>36685908
>when whites wrote the history and built civilization
whites were still in caves when prosperous civilizations were thriving around the world
>>
>>36683228

In the US, pretty much any bachelor's degree requires 2 years of liberal arts study.
>>
>>36685978
Egyptians weren't black, Tyrone. Neither were the Sumerians or any other civilization. The only successful black "civilization" was the Mali dynasty and the Ethiopian "empire"
>>
>>36682821
This, Molyneux is completely absorbed by his own philosophy. So much so that its assumptions are always taken as fact in his videos. If you think about the topic from a objective standpoint there's nothing objectively wrong with making university easier to access for competent people.
>>
>>36685978
>unironic "we wuz kingz and shet"

Literally a coincidence Egyptians excluding nigerian immgirants look like italians with a bit more tan skin
>>
>>36686017
>>36686091
i'm not that guy but i'm pretty sure he's talking about azns
>>
File: 145745764478.jpg (157KB, 628x353px) Image search: [Google]
145745764478.jpg
157KB, 628x353px
>>36686017
Did I even mention "black"?
Holy fuck you numb skulls really are hollow headed who can only regurgitate the last thing your hear
>>
>>36686017
>what is china
>what is sumeria
>what is indus valley civilisation

oh wait, but we wuz kangz and some other shitty meme
>>
>>36686129
>make no allusion or specifics to what race he was talking about
>'lul u fuckin reterds u cant red my mind"?

Looks like your superior ancestors really bred an intellectual mastermind, here
>>
>>36686173
You were the one who automatically made the assumption he was talking about niggers. You're the retard here, buddy.
>>
>>36683604
D-do foreigners get studybux?
>>
>>36686168
>irrelevant
>proto white
>pffffffft
>>
>>36686200
>conjecture
>conjecture
>conjecture
>>
>>36686173
You really do sound like an idiot. Just thought you should know that.
>>
>>36682473

Hardly a minute in and I already have problems with this tirade. The linking of accessibility and a "dumbing down" of education doesn't necessarily follow, because you can make an institution open to everyone while maintaining challenging metrics for graduating from it; to go for a silly example, like Ninja Warrior, which is just a TV show. Theoretically anyone who thinks they can take on the task can get on that show, but you still have to prove yourself and most people still fail; there are not many grads of Ninja Warrior. College degrees will be more valuable if they're more rare, sure, but that rarity doesn't need to be from a lack of access.

Nor, really, should it be. It shouldn't be the case that a college degree is just a sheepskin that says "My family is at least upper middle class and I'm well-behaved," which is really what it said before the GI bill opened it up to more people. What should ideally be the case to give a college degree the most meaning it can have is having college open to everyone and kind to no one; if you have the chops, you can get a degree, otherwise you're out. When college isn't free, that really isn't the case, and college not being free also hasn't seemed to prevent a decline in educational standards for the past few decades and to this very day; if anything, colleges being run like businesses (which is how many of them are now) has done more damage to educational standards than anything else because of wanting to get more people in the door for more money. It'll become more of a sheepskin whether it's free or not and whether everyone goes or not.

And ultimately, this guy could've made this argument about free K-12 back in 1600. The standards of what a good "minimum" of schooling is have certainly changed, and maybe it should include four years of a college environment.
>>
>>36686194
>made no allusion or specifics to what race he was talking about
>calls people retards when they make a logical assumption instead of winning his autistic guessing game

>>
>>36686218
China: Only accomplishments were: Wall (which was built over thousands of years) and black powder (which they only used in fire works until the Europeans took it)
Sumerians: Writing and some law. Still proto white.
Indus valley: Made ancient toilets then forgot how to use them and now regard them as witches
>>
>>36682821
Why should I pay for someone else's education?

I paid for my degree through loans and my savings account...you can to. :)
>>
>>36686017
>>36686091
>strawmanning this hard
Holy cuck! How insecure are you? Did his post make your *trigger warning* small penises shrink?
>>
>>36686241
>GI bill made college open to more people
The GI bill didn't come out until 2002 and colleges were already swamped with unwashed masses of people who were driving down the standards of education.
>>
>>36683089
2 years in? so have you taken any chemE courses or not brah?
>>
>>36686267
They were still fully civilised far before Europeans. You've completely moved the goalposts.

>>36686278
Implicit social contract
>>
>>36686313
>keeps referring to himself as "he"
>retreating to buzzword memes to distract from the topic

>>
>>36686343
Are you mentaIly ill?
>>
>>36682473
this guy is an idiot.

Free college doesn't mean they'll dumb it down, they'll increase the required grades. just like in the UK. not everyone goes to uni. i had to get AAA* to get into my degree for engineering.
>>
>>36686358
>"lol u r retarded"
>now broken to the point of a 4 word sentence lunchroom insult to try to offend somebody on the internet

>>
>>36686343
>keeps repeating himself when he has been thoroughly btfo
Ok then
>>
>>36686389
>back to the buzzwords
>has to pretend to be somebody else to defend himself and put up the poorly veiled guise of social validation

>>
>>36686314

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Bill
>>
>>36682473
Yes, listen to the known cult leader.

Not all University is bad. You can literally learn to be a pilot. Just don't study social sciences.
>>
>>36686333
>Implicit social contract
So in other words:

>Give me stuff since I exist.

Get lost, deadbeat.
>>
>>36686462
>you can learn to be a pilot in university
What why? In America you learn it in flight school which is basically just a trade school for planes
>>
>>36686314
>The GI bill didn't come out until 2002
Someone who clearly did not go to college.
>>
>>36682651
>math teacher in a school
>all of your students are in your class because they are known to be motivated and intelligent and passionate about math
>most of the kids are able to grasp the content and pass your class
>some of them fail but there's no reason to radically change your class structure

>math teacher in a school
>1/10 of your students are actually grasping the material and motivated to learn math
>everybody else is a drooling retard who only enrolled in the class because they were told it would lead to a career
>the pass rate drops like a rock
>all the students complain and protest
>parents are pissed off
>the school principal approaches you
>tells you to "modify" the content to be less challenging so the retards will keep enrolling and the cash will keep flowing
>>
>>36686528
Your entire second paragraph could be applied to engineering students in college
>>
>>36686482

As opposed to

>Give me stuff because the state enforces my claim to the means of production
>>
i'll have my bse in chemE in less than 2 weeks and i'm staying for a masters
more than half my friends have jobs that start at over 65k
most in this state
i live in a shit state with no jobs for chemEs
i wouldn't say stem is overrated
at least not engineering
just network, do research, develop interview skills, get internships
you'll be fine
>>
>>36686528
>and the cash will keep flowing

Why would the teacher or principal need to worry about this if the state is funding the school with tax money?
>>
>>36686173
>Looks like your superior ancestors really bred an intellectual mastermind, here
>>36686253
>Looks like your superior ancestors really bred an intellectual mastermind, here
>>36686343
>>36686387
>>36686414
Looks like you suffer from a severe case of paranoia and autism.
>>
>>36686632
Some schools/states use graduation rate as metric.
>>
>>36686632
I'm assuming schools get more fund money if they can demonstrate student population growth, so the more students they can get enrolled the more leverage they can use as an excuse to get money
>>
>>36686681

So is the problem that the school is free or that the metrics are bad?
>>
>>36686707
the problem is that the schools are government-funded which protects them from failure. If these schools were privately funded they wouldn't be able to pump out these useless degrees in massive quantities like how they're doing now, because the students would realize that the ROI is dogshit and stop enrolling
>>
A compsci degree even from a bad uni will help you gets job doing computer stuff if you want to do that. The higher paying jobs like sys admin want you to have a four year degree and you won't be able to get them otherwise without working for like 10 years to build your resume. A liberal arts degree is a waste of time and money but degree is a good investment if you want to do anything in the tech industry.
>>
>>36686241

The real crux of the problem is that elementary and high school have been dumbed down massively. It's really just a babysitting program at this point.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/rare-test-1912-shows-students-quizzed-article-1.1425918
>>
>>36686483
There are aviation classes at my University, just saying that it doesn't have to be underwater basket weaving or fibers
>>
File: 23425662344.jpg (43KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
23425662344.jpg
43KB, 690x460px
>>36682473
>Hates the Arts
>Has a B.A and M.A

He's nothing more than an obnoxious philistine mouthbreather.
>>
>>36686840
He's a self conflicting meme philosopher who fedoars from reddit worship, what were you expecting? Every single one of his videos is about him practically debating himself because the "opposition" is just a preconceived uninformed notion he has against people and attacking that strawman
>>
>>36686632
>Why would the teacher or principal need to worry about this if the state is funding the school with tax money?

More students = More money

The tax money works like this in Australia.

University X has 25,000 students enrolled in 2017, let's pretend 25,000 students are taking 6 units per year (low end), each unit is worth $1,500 dollars. That is $9,000 loaned from the government that will pay the school per year per student, times that by 25,000. That's $225,000,000 total paid to the university by the federal government in that year.

This means universities have an incentive to keep as many people enrolled as possible and to pass you at all costs and will generally only fail if you literally stop attending.
>>
>>36686840
He got his degrees 30 years ago.

Humanities degrees still had value back then.
>>
>>36686913
>who fedoars from reddit worship
Wasn't he hip on /pol/ not too long ago?
>>
>>36686765
>because the students would realize that the ROI is dogshit

If this were a thing that happened consistently, it would be impossible to explain the modern higher education bubble. People are spending tons of money, not getting good returns out of it, and just keep doing it.
>>
>>36686970
>it would be impossible to explain the modern higher education bubble

I can explain that easily
>k-12 teachers: Go to college or you're a literal failure who will flip burgers for life
>>
>>36686970
Don't the stats show better out comes for college educated people?
>>
>>36687006
>Go to college or you're a literal failure who will flip burgers for life
But it's self fulfilling since there's a glut of graduates and companies don't want to hire highschool grads unless you're an outlier.
>>
File: 132265320792.png (209KB, 453x435px) Image search: [Google]
132265320792.png
209KB, 453x435px
>>36682473
come on, he's just exaggerating now

but i know what he means. Some people shouldn't go Uni, i wish i didn't go
>>
>>36686970
College students, still on average, and always have, made more money than non college grads. Unless you're a verifiable genius or entertainer you'll be making less unless you've gone to trade schools and put in years of work to get to the high end of pay which has a hard pay cap
>>
>>36683358
tru my dude.
>>
>>36687072
>College students, still on average, and always have, made more money than non college grads.

If you select people on the right half the bell distribution, of course they will do better than the other half.

>>36687033
>But it's self fulfilling since there's a glut of graduates and companies don't want to hire highschool grads unless you're an outlier.

Yes it is self fulfilling but these kind of trends tend to breakdown at a certain point. I think within the next decade or so we'll see the college bubble implode. Remember this whole "college is necessary for a career" meme has only existed for the past 40-50 years.
>>
>>36685305
Cyber security is the big win rn. You did good.
>>
>>36686769

To be fair, though, that kind of test seems as irrelevant as the answers to those geography questions in the modern day. Who would need to memorize shit like that when you have the internet?

Arguably part of what's shitty about our schooling now is how similar it is in form and function to schooling back then. Memorizing information is probably not as important today as learning how to find information and interpret it, and our schools are only semi-responsive to this; they're mostly just on autopilot, still steered in some sense by those early pioneers of the 1600's parochial school. They're also not very dedicated to finding a student's talent. The point is to shove everyone through the same process and grade them at the end, which is not the same goal as aiming to grow students as people and help them pursue their own goals. A nascent great dancer will not learn about being a dancer from modern school, no matter how much success that career might bring.

I actually think if school were arranged in a more open-ended way that was more focused on actual learning and less on producing sheepskins of varying qualities for students, there probably would be a lot fewer people in college (or the equivalent) and less waste overall, but ultimately in our system the sheepskin is all that matters, and the system reflects that.
>>
>>36687302
The bubble won't implode as long as employers are only hiring college grads and as long as the government is funding education. You also can't default on student debt (which are insured by the government anyways). It makes no sense why people keep saying the student debt bubble is even a thing.
>>
>>36687367
The only way I see it could be a bubble is if there were some arcane financial instruments being propped up on student loan debt.
>>
>>36682473
I can't listen to Molymeme anymore after learning about his weird cult.
>>
>>36687367
The only way the bubble could "pop" is if the government decided to stop funding schools - which is complete political suicide for him and his party, and besides the government loves collecting those sweet tax dollars because they pull their money out of thin air anyways.
>>
>>36682473
>Stop wasting your money on school. What you should do is donating money to me to keep me rambling

This dude is a joke
>>
>>36687656
>The only way the bubble could "pop" is if the government decided to stop funding schools - which is complete political suicide for him and his party, and besides the government loves collecting those sweet tax dollars because they pull their money out of thin air anyways.

It could happen. The government pulled the plug on ITT tech last year. If another big recession hits and colleges are pumping out unemployed gradates, the government will stop funding these colleges. Just because something is government backed does not mean it can't be a bubble.
>>
>>36688067
>ITT tech
Were people even going to that school? It was literally mocked - by name - by comedians and shows as a flybynight joke college. Same with Devry and Everest
>>
>>36688067
ITT tech was obviously an open scam. No state university (which is where the majority of student loans go to) is anywhere on par with the level of corruption and deceit that shit hole was.
>>
>>36688097
>>36688128

Yep but that's when the economy was good.

If the economy is not so good, the government will stop funding normal colleges too.

Also, certain events could could send shockwaves throughout the education system like a respected white collar profession getting brutally automated.
>>
>>36688168
I've heard of ITT tech being made fun of so I wikipediad it and saw they were charging 45-85k/semester and it made my jaw drop. I always thought it was some cheap joke degree people got not a super bull-faced scam. Seriously why the fuck would anybody go to ITT tech for that price when it's been the joke college for as long as I can remember
>>
>>36688206
I'm not an American so I just used ITT as an example. I hadn't heard about it until after it collapsed.

I think a lot of their students were former military and using the GI bill to attend the school.
>>
File: counting-the-savings.jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
counting-the-savings.jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>Math degree
>Any job I want
>$300k starting
>>
>>36682473
>if everyone gets a degree it's worthless!

>if everyone graduates highschool it's worthless!
>if everyone graduates middle school it's worthless!

Do drugs and stay out of school, kids, it's bad for you! :D
t. not-an-argument meme man
>>
>>36688504
Mollymeme would unironically say this if it wasn't for the fact those people wouldn't be able to give him money. He's a fucking clown
>>
>>36682473
I want to go to college make friends not get a job. Im dying of loneliness after spending my whole being a shut in nerd.
>>
>>36688583
That's a giant waste of money AND you won't even make friends.
>>
>>36687062
I wish I paid more attention, I'd be better of i wasn't so retarded
>>
File: molyneux.png (337KB, 501x531px) Image search: [Google]
molyneux.png
337KB, 501x531px
>>36688504
YOU THINK YOU KNOW MORE THAN ME

CUT HIM OFF MIKE
>>
>tfw going to community college

Am I retarded /r9k/?
>>
>>36689530
>paying much much less for the same classes that youd get at a uni

Nah, you're alright
>>
File: Laughing whores.jpg (102KB, 800x717px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing whores.jpg
102KB, 800x717px
>>36688504
>Public highschool diplomas have value
>Not homeschooling your child
>>
>>36682473
You should go to college only if you study something serious like medicine
>>
>>36690759

What if you want to get a job as a teacher? Then you have to go to college.
>>
>>36682473
Is he doing ASMR?
Can't he put a antipop filter on his mic?
Really disturbed by his mouth sounds
>>
>>36690767
Yes
If it's a required thing for the job
>>
>>36682473
>taking advice from a (((stay-at-home dad))) who calls himself a man
>>
>>36690803
>not taking advice from a man that makes a living being a NEET shitposter
>>
Who is this slaphead and why should I give a fuck what he says?
>>
>>36691222
Only the greatest philosopher of our time with the largest philosophy conversation in human history. You sound like you were spanked as a child.
>>
>>36682473
Yeah, and you should also watch this.

https://www.youtube
.com/watch?v=KQ2kECXB8rI
>>
>>36682853
are you one of those people who think that the tax payer money belongs to you? the tax payer money belongs to the state and the state does whatever it likes with them.
>>
>>36691010
I don't think you can make a living shitposting.
>>
>>36692593
You'd be surprised, dude makes thousands of dollars a month in donations.
>>
Geology has been a challenging major, and hopefully lands me a decent job as a hydrogeologist.
>>
>>36682473
>has 2 degrees
>yes goy, don't go to university, it's a waste of money, you won't learn anything
Sure, you can learn stuff on your own. But a degree is basically a certificate.
>>36682821
In my country 2/3 people pay and 1/3 get it for free. And about 5% get additional scholarships.
If you pass all exams on time, you're getting free education. Or rather, the ones that didn't are paying for it :^)
>>
>>36685328
>me
>go to college because your mommy and daddy and entire family told ya that you can't get a job without degree
>bachelors/masters degree absolutely worthless and means fucking nothing, still 95% chance that I'll end up unemployed
>>
>>36685490
Thqh just world fallacy
>>
I wonder if the people who keep bleating about college improving your earnings know what time period their studies are from.
>>
>>36682821
>free college doesn't make a degree worthless, it lowers the barriers of entry for those who are capable
>He is forcing this free college=bad too hard

You missed the point. He said what makes a degree worthlress is lowering standards for acquiring the degree.

Which is true, if a low grade moron can graduate as a result of the decline in the curriculum and acceptance standards then it's no longer a statement of one's intellect.
>>
>>36683665
>Before 1940 fields like accounting and engineering were apprenticeship based. You did not need a college degree to become an engineer or an accountant back then.

Which country you refereing to???
To name one example, Von Braum graduated in mechanical engineering in 1932.
what the fuck you talking about???
>>
File: bigger luke.png (160KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
bigger luke.png
160KB, 366x380px
>>36688490
>tfw fell for the "math, any job, 300k starting" meme
>tfw stuck on a shitty 150k salary and it had to be in finance
>>
File: 1466146961206.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1466146961206.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>>36694236
>shitty 150k salary
>>
File: ofsted cucks.jpg (43KB, 980x836px) Image search: [Google]
ofsted cucks.jpg
43KB, 980x836px
I Think Lemolyneurghface is overstating his case here - massively.

But he is not entirely WRONG about the dumbing down of standards. A lot of people in here have produced a counter-argument of "hurr durr free secondary school will mean grade dumbing down hurr durr stupid cult leader" not realizing that this is kind of exactly what happens.

I'm not sure what bodies in burger land enforce educational standard but here in britfaggia we have "OFSTED" the office of standard in education something something. Basically, it's a board that supposedly does snap inspections of state schools (all schools in fact) to make sure they're all uppity-tuppity on standards - making sure that kids are all getting their upboats for good work, aren't being bullied, etc etc.

The REALITY of the fucking matter is that these "snap inspections" are announced two weeks ahead of time. Any britfags in here remember when you were on school and one day the whole class was threatened with "You all behave well and we'll do a fun lesson!" or when disruptive kids magically disapeared one day to a lone classroom? The school had just heard they were going to be inspected. But that isn't the fucking end of it - the schools overall grades are MASSAGED by the teachers, on the instruction of the headteacher, by bumping marks up one or two points per test to get into the next category of attainment - or really bad marks are just completely "lost" due to "admin difficulties" or the kid supposedly changing school or something. There are a dozen different ways of gaming the fucking system.

In short, this nigger molyneux is overstating his case. Free schooling has, in a VERY round sense, upped IQ throughought the last century, but you'd have to be a fucking MORON to think that it's going to have the effect some of you think it will.

And this level of cheating in secondary schools? That's just with people who are already salaried but get their "customers" from a CATCHMENT AREA. Unlike Uni's...
>>
>>36694314

Replying to own post because I'm a shit-eating cocksucker.

How do I know all this? Literally everyone in my family and many of my friends are teachers in the state system. I literally have saved pics of some old school friend who I fucking hate who has ADMITTED he does this on facebook.

To finnish up my little diatribe, Uni's have to GET PEOPLE IN THE DOOR who are otherwise just MADE to go to their local school, so therefore have EVEN MORE reason to fucking cheat grades. Whatsmore, professors have to keep their students happy or they will fucking change course or major and end up with funding getting cut to their research.

Just two more reaons why you can expect more grade manipulation in UNI and FUCKING TRUST ME, its bad enough at Secondary school level.
>>
>>36694275
I know it's fucking pathetic.
>>
File: 1487795357315.jpg (28KB, 585x450px) Image search: [Google]
1487795357315.jpg
28KB, 585x450px
>>36692563
>the tax payer money belongs to the state
>>
>>36688490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg

>Math undergrad degree and a Biology gradate degree
>Works as an overweight stripper

I guess she wanted that job
>>
>>36692593
China employs thousands of people to do just this, look up 50 cent party
>>
>>36688504
>comparing bog-standard elemental education shared across multiple disciplines to training in a specialized field
>>
>>36686278
You already pay towards social services that don't directly benefit you, it's the entire concept of taxation you dunce.
Shit loads of money goes into the military to fuel useless wars that doesn't benefit the working people that fund these wars while simultaneously those same working people can't afford health care or get into college. How about you redistribute that money so that they can afford health care or get into college?
Why are Burgers so vehemently opposed to this, it's not a difficult concept to grasp. This mentality of fuck you got mine is so stupid.
>>
>>36693949
I don't get, how does free college lower the standards?
Do you believe that free college means you don't have to get good grades?
>>
>>36682821
>>36686088

If everyone has a degree then no one has a degree. Look at what's already happening. People thought college makes you smart which is just like thinking joining a basketball team makes you tall. So people enrolled in college en masse and now college degrees are the new high school diploma. An increase in supply without an increase in demand always leads to lower value.
>>
>>36682473
This guy talks Bullshit. We have free colleges in Germany, yet we have a amount of people who still have apprenticeships and don't want to go to college.
>>
>>36693749
The Irish and the Scots are desperate for secondary school teachers right now.
>>
>>36682473
sure, and i guess university became completely obsolete once other western contries decided to make it afordable

seriously, how up your own asshole do you have to be to fail at predicting the future of a policy when we can already see the results of that policy, its like those anti-gay lunatics ranting about bestiality when its has been legal in belgium for more than a decade
>>
>>36683156
Don't they work people like 60-80 hours a week there? The work culture there sucks.
>>
>>36683228
>>36683665

Some of science sucks too. A Bachelor's Biology and Chemistry is shit except for pre-med and even if you get a graduate degree it's rough.

Technology is getting saturated due to outsourcing, H1B visas, and tech degrees often teach you out of date stuff. Also Information Systems and to a lesser extent IT degrees have higher unemployment rates while Computer Science is mostly where things have been going "well".

Engineering depends on the field, but most are pretty solid across the board. Companies like practical things you can apply and engineering is basically just applied science. But there are some problems with H1B visas and Petroleum Engineers often have to worry about the petroleum market.

Mathematics is only good when it's something you can apply. Many math majors just go work in finance.
>>
>>36688490
>math deegree

oh shit is mcdonalds paying 300k now?
>>
>>36685255
He's very well informed and isn't controlled by political correctness or sponsors. Data says your AVERAGE degree will make you more money in the long run (Provided the college bubble doesn't pop, which it will). He's mentioning unmarketable degrees like liberal arts which just take you out of full time employment for 4 years and give you debt while making you the equivalent of a high school student was decades ago.
>>
>>36685846
Then how come almost nobody has heard of the Zebra Killings, the Arab/Ottoman Slave Trades, and commies aren't at least as hated as the fascists?

SJW's are just a more extreme version of what the left has been doing for quite some time. People only notice it now since the SJW's kicked it up a few notches, rushed us into it, and they attack other liberals.

>>36685978
Civilization = Culture + Genetics. Once whites were westernized and could write we grew in power. But even as we westernize and bend over backwards lower IQ non-whites they still can't be as successful. Read The Bell Curve. Also I think Molymeme has a video on that if you're interested.
>>
>>36686241
But the "College for everyone!" and snowflake mentality of the people demanding free college will ensure standards are lowered. Even if 90% want higher standards they would be lethargic while the whiners would be fanatic and the college administrators would cave. College administrators have been pushovers for the past few decades with few exceptions - that's why grade inflation is already bad today.
>>
>>36686462
>Yes, listen to the known cult leader.

Not an argument. Who started this meme?
>>
>>36695881
US universities are ranked more highly than German ones. Also we have the whole "Go to college or flip burgers for a living!" meme here in the US (Maybe Canada too).
>>
>>36685002
>Someone is benefiting but it's not the rank and file teachers.

No they're definitely benefiting. I would go as far as to say that most of them would be working at Mcdicks if they didn't have their teaching gigs. Most of your science and math teachers would find it impossible to get a job at a technology firm.

Also most school board administrators and trustee members were former "rank and file" teachers. The entire education system is a racket.
>>
>>36695614
I don't agree with that part too.
But there are some countries including mine where some colleges are state funded and they have lower acceptance standards for some minorities, and if they wanna get those people graduated to promote their social justice agenda then they will have to lower the standards for them.
Now about what he mentions, academic curriciulum in the US at least has been dumbed down, and thats what undermines the value of a degree. If now any idiot can get one, then it's no longer worth that much.
>>
>>36696939
yeah, but that doesnt apply to higher education, how would you dumb down engineering or medicine?
>>
>>36696958
I think stem is safe for now. It's the arts degrees that are being subjected to this.
>>
>>36696958
>how would you dumb down engineering
Make the tests/grading easier, make the curriculum cover less, etc.
I've seen it happen at a top ranked engineering school.
>>
>>36696991
can arts deegrees actually get even more worthless though? imo, dumbing them down would change the employment rate that much
>>
>>36697006
wouldnt tha just make the schools ratings go down?
>>
>>36697080
Maybe in long term, I don't know what metrics the ranking groups use.
>>
File: 1490796544520.png (405KB, 441x419px) Image search: [Google]
1490796544520.png
405KB, 441x419px
>tfw I need a degree for the job I want
>tfw I still probably couldn't find work
>>
>>36697049
I heard a guy saying he had to take basic algebra in college and there is that matress girl who got course credit for carrying a mattress around the campus. These are the some exemples from the top of my head.
Also, there is the women's studies degrees and the indoctrination that goes on in the arts courses.
As an employer i would think anyone who spent 4 years to get one of these are somewhat stupid.
>>
>>36696939
But that's Affirmative Action and not a result of making colleges tuition free.
Many countries are capable of having free colleges without lowering standards in fact it's unnecessary to lower the standards so why the fear?
>>
>>36682473
Don't go to college so you'll be dumb enough to keep watching my shit.
>>
>>36683665
If you're not in STEM, your opinion is worth an asswipe.
>>
File: applications drop.png (17KB, 720x370px) Image search: [Google]
applications drop.png
17KB, 720x370px
To the people saying the college bubble will never pop, look at what's happening to law school enrollment. Just the other day a low-tier law school closed down due to a lack of enrollment and low Bar passage rates.

This is a microcosm for the rest of the rest of the higher education industry.
>>
>>36697184
Thats why i said that i don't agree that college shouldn't necesserally be free

>Many countries are capable of having free colleges without lowering standards in fact it's unnecessary to lower the standards so why the fear?

But these are the ones like norway or sweden (it's going downhill now) that have a high average iq.
But on countries like US, they have to lower the standards if they want to increase the number of minorities in top tier institutions.
>>
>>36697251
>graph doesn't start at zero
reeee
>>
>>36682473
OP is a denying faggot that wants to believe that he has made the best life choices, and that effort is bad. I went to uni after being a NEET for a year and I gotta say there is hope. Uni is better than NEETdom. I moved out with an old friend from high school with the same problem as you all. We went to uni and roomed together in a shitty home off campus. Now I make 30K and he makes 45, I have been doing well for the past year and a half and we play vidya together. Uni will save you from the Hell of NEET life. There is hope.
>>
What if I live in europe and am not (directly) paying for my tuition + studying a STEM field?
>>
File: cuck.png (73KB, 997x775px) Image search: [Google]
cuck.png
73KB, 997x775px
>>36686966
He still is. You need to remember that after moot cucked /pol/ and the elections meant that a lot of the core /pol/acks left and /pol/ got saturated heavily by /r/thedonald redditors and other civic nationalist faggots.
>>
File: tangy bobby sauce.jpg (110KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
tangy bobby sauce.jpg
110KB, 1152x864px
>tfw doing a trade instead
>make lots of money without getting in debt and being much easier
>>
>>36697452

Lots of people don't want to learn a trade because they're looked down upon for some reason. Also, the initial pay is nice but you won't be making a much higher salary for the rest of your life.
>>
>>36697452
Enjoy doing the same boring shit you won't enjoy for the next 50 years anon
>>
>>36697452
Enjoy that tiny pay ceiling
>>
>>36682473
Unless you get a scholarship, then fucking go, it's a good experience. Go to college to go to college. You need to have either a specific goal in mind, or no goal at all.
>>
>>36697452
What trade?
orror
How does one do a trade?
>>
>>36697517
Pretty much this. 6-figure trade jobs are a meme. If you make that much it's because you're working crazy long work weeks on your feet and will be forced to retire before you're 60.
>>
>>36697518
>implying college isn't the same way
90% of people don't study STEM fields because they find it fun, fambly.
>>36697586
i'm doing plumbing cuz it's easy and the pay is great for a single person, i have a buddy who makes like $40 an hour operating construction equipment.
>How does one do a trade?
idk where you live but look up local trade unions
>>
>>36697687
>90% of people don't study STEM fields because they find it fun, fambly.
That's why it's a meme. You will never be any better than mediocre at a job you hate.
>>
>>36697540
>>36697518
>>36697517

You guys do realize that a lot of stem workers face age discrimination and get laid off once they hit their late 40s (or even sooner)?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2016/09/15/silicon-valleys-not-so-secret-bias-ageism/90120616/

stay mad stemcucks
>>
File: delet this.jpg (82KB, 365x512px) Image search: [Google]
delet this.jpg
82KB, 365x512px
>>36697786
>face age discrimination in US of A
>say you will sue your super-rich stem bosses
>get paid a settlement of money enough for you to live the NEET life
Oh geez sounds awful maaaan
>>
>>36682651
dumb people drag the whole class down
>>
>>36686241
government k-12 is fucking worthless, ruins a lot of bright kids
>>
File: rerg.png (57KB, 666x514px) Image search: [Google]
rerg.png
57KB, 666x514px
>>36697859
>say you will sue your super-rich stem bosses

Yeah like no one's thought about doing that yet. You STEMers seriously think the system is there to protect you.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextavenue/2013/04/30/what-it-takes-to-win-an-age-discrimination-suit/#2f7bbec6757e
>>
>>36697786
Hopefully I'll make enough by I'm 40 to retire, or move to consulting/self employed.
>>
>>36698011
If they have a valid reason for firing you then it isn't age discrimination is it?

Your arguement is invalid.
>>
>>36697786
Oh no, I won't be able to write mobile apps for startups using the newest hip framework when I'm 50, how will I ever survive
>>
>>36682473

College degrees are already meaningless.

And college degrees wouldn't be dumbed down since there is a certain criteria for getting a degree, (at least in europe)
>>
>>36697968
It didn't used to be that way.
It doesn't have to be that way.

After the fall of the USSR the conservatives in America decided that reducing costs was the most important thing, not delivering services. When I was in elementary school in the 80s, a kid made a diarama of Little Boy (The Bomb). My project was on recently declassified Soviet mind control experiments.

After the 90s, the budgets went down, charter schools started sucking money from the public system and delivering worse education (Betsy DeVos is from Michigan where charter schools consistent underperform government schools, categorically). NCLBA from George Bush moved to standardize education through tying teacher pay to student performance on nationwide standardized tests which doesn't make any sense because kids in Alabama have different needs than kids in Washington, teachers in Baton Rouge have different skill sets than teachers in Burbank. But conservatives are obsessed with two things: conformity and cost.

There was nothing at all wrong with public education in 1984. Let the teachers, the trained professionals, teach the class. Let them determine how to teach students as individuals, and things will start to turn around. But that's not going to happen during the Trump years.

Betsy DeVos has never seen the inside of a public school, by the way, she went to Holland Christian and then Calvin. All she knows is that it costs money that we need to spend on high tech fighter jets to kill uneducated desert dwellers with bombs strapped to their chests.

It's going to be a long eight years.
>>
>>36686913
Not an argument.

Not original.

Now it's original.
>>
>>36697269
You seem to be in agreement with me but i just want clear some things up.
I still don't understand why you bring up the lowering of standards for minorities, you agree with me in that it doesn't necessitate free college for programs like AA so i don't understand.
Do you believe the goal with free college is to increase the numbers of minorities in college?
Even if you do you can achieve that without lowering the standards of entry because the problem free college is trying to address is the obscene cost of getting college education in a world where you can't virtually live without one. Since a lot of minorities live in poverty and can't afford the costs to get in college, so it would indirectly increase their number in college.
>>
>>36698310
The US has spent more money on students (Adjusted for inflation) with no change in results. We spend more than Europe and get worse results. Since the left wants to be more like Europe let's take them up on the offer. Let's increase school choice and fix the system rather than having a broken system with no accountability.

Also NCLBA was bad and so was Common Core. There's no indication that dems would be better on reps on managing education.
>>
>>36698430
>The US has spent more money on students (Adjusted for inflation) with no change in results.
Yeah, gosh, they won't let teachers teach, and they won't let students learn. What changes in results do you expect when all of your results are based on standard outcomes?
>>
>>36698470
The lack of change in results came before NCLBA. Throwing more money into a broken system doesn't work. We need reform.
>>
I used to believe it to, now I have no choice but to go to school for computer science, due to hurting my back at my electrician job.
>>
>>36698470
>Yeah, gosh, they won't let teachers teach, and they won't let students learn. What changes in results do you expect when all of your results are based on standard outcomes?

How about we start by hiring teachers that have worked in the real world and getting rid of most of these teacher's colleges.
>>
>>36698011
>implying every tech company will be like the ones at sillicon valley
Protip: those guys want the best of the best, even if you get canned from there you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job with a tech company in another area that won't be transfixed on young prodigies.

Not only that, but do you really think working in a trade will be any better?

>decades of hard physical labour has taken a toll on your body at 40
>starting to develop arthritis
>boss notices you slowing down
Oh shit. You just got fired for being old. Unlike STEM jobs you won't have shit loads of money to keep you afloat by then.
>>
>>36698541
>The lack of change in results came before NCLBA.
No it didn't.
>>36698581
Because knowing how students learn is a skill. And yes, you're right, it's completely unnecessary now that Pearson and ETS write the standards and the tests. You might as well get rid of brick and mortar schools altogether and put everything on k12.edu. I'm not sure why anyone would get a degree in pedagogy in this our current year, there's literally no point. They give you the test, you teach what's on the test, if the students pass, you get to keep your job for another year. There's nothing academic about public school anymore.
>>
File: rerg.png (99KB, 624x1014px) Image search: [Google]
rerg.png
99KB, 624x1014px
>>36698224

The valid reason they have is a company needs to cut costs and they decide to lay off the engineers who command too high a salary.

>>36698593
>Oh shit. You just got fired for being old. Unlike STEM jobs you won't have shit loads of money to keep you afloat by then.

You get workman's comp or they put you into a managerial role. The whole world isn't run like the stem field but you're too busy sucking off shlomo shekelstein and tipping your fedora to realize that.

pic related. Here's a blogpost I found on this topic: https://dissention.wordpress.com/?s=stemer
>>
Why do so many people shill trades so hard? Is it just people who weren't smart or hard working enough to go to college? I come from a long line of people with various trades and they have to bust their asses off in shitty conditions doing hazardous work (which takes a great toll on their bodies, especially around 35+). Yeah it's decent money for people with no better options - It's certainly better than flipping burgers or working retail but I really can't believe there's so many tradies who constantly have an up-their-own-ass attitude towards people with degrees. They're probably all apprentices who don't know any better yet
>>
>>36698798
not everyone wants to have 100k of debts in their mid 20s
>>
>>36682473
I went to a public university and got a bachelor's and a master's degree for free. I got paid to get my master's and now I am getting paid to get a doctor's degree. So it was and still is worth going to college imho. Of course I am talking about real courses btw, not social bullshit etc.
>>
>>36698821
You're honestly a dumb ass if you go to college and come out with that kind of debt. Probably took out the highest private loan you could or put it on a credit card too.

I respect trades, as I said, I come from a long line of them, but I just really hate how up their own ass a lot of tradies are here just for doing a job that literally took 6-12 weeks of school which an honest-go-god retard could pick up and learn
>>
>>36698798
Honestly I'm horrible at math, that's why I decided to do a trade.
>>
>>36698798
Because you'll never get rich doing something you hate or suck at. Electrician for example is a good union job with high pay and benefits and if you have to work in a shithole at least you get paid for it.
>>
>>36699032
>you hate or suck at
>good union job
Have you ever worked in a union? At least half the people suck at it but they can't get fired because lolunion. All the work gets constantly put off on the same small group of guy
>>
>>36698821
>100k of debts
When will this meme end? I went to a for-profit private college and the only people who left with that much debt were idiots who were too lazy or stupid to get scholarships, and they used their student loan as a carte blanche for every expense they had in college (car, vacations, eating out, weed, etc)
>>
this guy is fucking retarded. not everyone has the IQ or discipline required to get through college. just look at any nordic country. university is free yet only ~35% of people aged 25-35 have a uni degree.
>>
>>36699237
Nordic countries run their schools different than American ones. I'm not saying I agree with Molymeme, but it's a fact that every US college which gets the most of its money from federally insured loans are dumbing down its curriculum in order to get as many people as possible to stay in as long as possible, because that means more federal bux from the US tax payer.

Also with US schools, any dumb ass can get in. Unless it's a private school, most don't even have entry requirements (or extremely lax ones) anymore
>>
>>36699111
Have you ever worked? At least half the people are below average.

Fuck off with your nonsense. Unions give you due process rights, that's all.
>>
>>36699443
>Have you ever worked?
Yes and I'm one of the good, hard workers who's actually good at his job and was forced to join the bullshit that is unions. Yes it gives you rights and due process, at the trade off that all of your coworkers are fucking brain dead shitheads who can't do the most basic of their job and always have a shitty attitude. They do the least amount of work but somehow complain the most.
>>
>>36699237

>comparing Nordic countries to America

American unis are a joke, and even if that weren't the case success in academia is not a guarantee for success in life
>>
>>36699488
Your coworkers are always brain dead shitheads with shitty attitudes. Why? Because you're young and still a tryhard. When you get a few more years behind you, you'll understand that it's less about doing a good job and more about not getting fired, because management doesn't give a shit about you either way and no job is worth stressing over.
>>
>>36698420
I don't have a problem with free college.
In fact i think there should be goverment funded schools, because that adresses the need for the nation to graduate engineers scientists etc.
But a current trend in some countries is to make an active effort to nudge some monirity groups into some of these institutions. That dilutes the value of a degree because now it's no longer a statement on your capabilitie.
I know some of this people can keep up with people from other backgrounds, but i know that some of the people that are being accepted don 't.
He adresses this in the video and i think it's a real problem, but i don't think it has anything to do with whether or not college i's free. It has to do with the acceptance requirements.
>>
Meanwhile I'm graduating this May and going to college was the best decision I have ever made. I'm 29 and was a piece of garbage for a long time. I was doing shit jobs.

I'm graduating next week. I have an incredible job offer.

>69K
>bonus 7k-14k
>5k signing bonus
>Good health care plan

I have worked for another branch of this company and know fisrt hand the bonuses are very consistent and in that range.

So I went from working shit jobs making 17k a year to making 80k right out of college. I felt like a piece of shit loser making shit money for my age. Now I'll be making great money for any age. Especially because I'll be in the south with a pretty cheap cost of living.
>>
>>36699329
You have it so backwards its not even funny
>>
>>36699547
Good luck senpai, I retired when I was your age. Majored in English / Pedagogy.
>>
>>36699545
Acceptance requirements and their commitment with this social justice agenda**
>>
>>36699548
Please explain how I'm wrong then because how I described American colleges is exactly how they operate.

Lower standards = more people = more money from the government. The MAJORITY of people pay for college loans in America with federally insured government loans.
>>
>>36699488
>Yes and I'm one of the good, hard workers who's actually good

good goy

Destroy that union then you'll start making big bucks.

>at the trade off that all of your coworkers are fucking brain dead shitheads

Welcome to planet Earth. I assure you it's even worse in non-unionized jobs where a brain-dead manager got his job because he's best buddies with the director
>>
>>36699488
Agree 100%.. fuck unions nowadays. The pres of every union is a fucking boot licker.

Im 30 and have worked for 3 union jobs. At 19 I cleaned nasty ass oscar mayer machines with stupid fire water to kill bacteria. The fucking stupid cunt women there had it all figured out.. "oh im too weak to do this job"... guess thats on you jeremy do that shit job that the woman refused to do
2nd union job; UAW.. united auto workers. This fucking cunt from HR had her tires slashed 3 times cuz she was such a bitch. New supervisor fired me because I said I had a family emergency and had to leave. This nigger said I never said anything and walked off the job. No union support there, even though I was a member for over 2 years.

i got another one I just dont feel like typing it and you faggots dont feel like reading it... so in short FUCK UNIONS.. fucking sellout faggots. Everyone of us pays $10-$20 a week in dues for your jew ass lawyers to grab dicks with the company.
>>
File: Untitled.png (294KB, 710x581px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
294KB, 710x581px
>>36682473
60 seconds in, this guy makes no fucking sense.
Free college education will not make colleges "dumber". No one will "dumb things down" for the below average folk (plus let's be real, you don't have to be exceptionally smart to go through college).
Colleges don't accept anybody, you still have to maintain good grades and shit to get into one. People that enter them will still be smart to a degree.
Those who do get in only because of the fact colleges are now free will also have no affect on the curriculum. If you're bad you're bad, universities/colleges don't need to graduate you as they can just kick your ass if you simply can't pass. Dumber students do not equal dumber education.
He also talks about how "a degree will become the norm". What the fuck is wrong with that? What is wrong with -educating your fucking people-. This way job recruitment will rely more on accomplishments (i.e which university you graduated from, what projects you did etc) instead of "oh you got a degree cool come in".
Also I'll say it again. Free college does not mean anyone can enter any college. There are still barriers.

This retarded bald motherfucker is criticizing a system for being systematically faulty while some European countries are already using this and it's fucking great for them.
This doesn't matter though. None of this does. This guy basically argues with his feelings instead of logic and stats. I've seen his other videos and he literally relies on his voice tone to persuade people, rather than making good arguments. His fanbase is as retarded as him. He's a phony that's stuck in this 1950 american dream, blaming the system for his own personality problems.
>>
>>36699790
I'd bet money the nigger that fired you immediately recommended one of his idiot hoodboyz who just got out of jail to fill the opening you left
>>
>>36682473
not an argument. college degrees are already worthless.
>>
ITT: americans in the year 2017 still don't understand how to get a proper education system
>>
>>36682473
jokes on him, i'm 3 years into an arts degree. if anything, liberal arts has made me more conservative
>>
>>36699999

oc digits check asdasdasdasd
>>
>>36699982
We understand how, it just won't happen because it's very profitable this way.

What most Americans fail to realize, is that the overwhelming majority of people pay for their college with federally insured loans (which are paid for by the tax payers, surprise) but American schools are held to such a lax standard that the entry requirements have gotten progressively more lenient to allow more people in to get that sweet, sweet tax money
>>
>>36692563
dont come back
>>>/co/mmie
>>
>>36699982
Fucking finally.
I don't live in Europe but our education system is heavily Europe-influenced so a lot of people who can afford it do go to Europe for higher education.

Americans don't understand universities. They treat universities as if they were some random ass corporation. And the universities treat their students like customers instead of actual students.

This bald guy doesn't understand shit. He does the same mistake a lot of americans do- treat universities as companies.
No you retard, colleges won't become shit because more people try and enter them.
Degrees will be -relatively- less valuable but it's still a fucking degree.
Colleges aren't only about money- they should accept you on your grades instead of your economic standing.

Fuck the US and their education system.
>>
>>36700081
>Tax money is still my money
Are you fucking retarded or are you acting like an uneducated chimp on purpose?
>>
>>36682473
>dont go to college bro
>have to have a degree to get any kind of job which can support you
ok molymeme
>>
https://www.newyorkfed.org/research/college-labor-market/college-labor-market_compare-majors.html
monomeme's degree
>History
underemployment rate
>53.5%
meanwhile nearly all STEM degree feature underemployments rates between 20 to 30% outside a few.

education and accounting also feature low underemployment rates.

makes u think. maybe you shouldn't go to college for soft skill shit.
>>
hmm i don't know lads, maybe it's true

>Evolutionary biology
>Masters of Engineering (biomedical)
>Ph.D neuroscience

tho i did kinda quit my job because it was corrupt as fuck, now I just kinda write my book and make money off of editing scientific papers

kinda okay i guess, but it's like 40k a year vs my other job which was way more

morals too high how do i fix this
>>
>>36700302
>nearly all STEM degree feature underemployments rates between 20 to 30% outside a few

20 to 30% underemployment rate is still very high and is likely to increase.
>>
File: 1492471471158.jpg (15KB, 280x412px) Image search: [Google]
1492471471158.jpg
15KB, 280x412px
>>36682473
>Le no argument man
>>
>>36700404
>evolution
>corrupt
Who would have thought
>>
>>36700755

Yeah, well I can say with pretty great certainty I'm confident what reality is, at least. Though that's not usually a good thing, self deception is evolutionary advantageous.
>>
>>36699790
Yeah because in non-union jobs, nobody ever gets fucked.

Imbecile.
>>
>>36686278
That's not the way to look at it, the idea is that free college is like healthcare, yeah you pay for someone's doctor's visit, but it keeps them out of the emergency room so that you pay $50 so that you won't have to pay $50,000 for an emergency that could have been prevented. Either that or we just let people who can't afford medicine die, if we're not going to do that supporting people earlier on is cheaper in the long term.
>>
You know, I'm 20 and I have about a year's worth of college credits. I "dropped" out, if you will, mainly because I hated it and hated the thought of getting debt.

I guess the trade off is that since I am not really interested in anything that makes money, I have to settle for not making money.
I can't justify doing things for money. I've tried so much and it just isn't worth it. I really wish I could go to college, study history, writing, languages, or one of the few other things that interest me and be guaranteed a job, but since that's not reality, I can't.

The only thing I've come up with if I was to go back would be mechanical engineering, so I could maybe get into weapon design but I just really don't like math that much. I'm decent enough, it just is not that entertaining.

Oh well. I don't want to live long anyhow.
>>
>>36701593
When the Powerball was 1.5 billion I bought a ticket. I dreamed about having a billion dollars to buy a big tall building with internet and conference rooms and move in a bunch of NEET kids to see what they'd do if their bills were all paid and there was no one around to judge them for not wanting to do anything.
>>
>>36701778
>and move in a bunch of NEET kids to see what they'd do if their bills were all paid

It would just be a bunch of people shitposting on /r9k/ and the smell would be fucking awful.
>>
>>36701854
Would it though? Wouldn't knowing that you weren't alone, that someone cared about you, that nobody was judging you, at least compel you to take a shower?
>>
>>36701945
Robots are judgemental as fuck it just doesn't appear that way because most have never had someone they can compare themselves positively to.
>>
>>36696289
(At my uni) they literally teach about how U.S. communists organized violent riots to leverage political capital. And of course in high school we were taught plenty about how bloody and terrifying Stalin's reign was. I really haven't seen any SJW bias in any of the "mainstream" history classes here. (For that, you've gotta go to the _____ Studies courses or Comparative Lit.)

This is in California.
Thread posts: 301
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.