[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're a neet, why not mess around with linux >comfy

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: 1428684163502.gif (845KB, 628x350px) Image search: [Google]
1428684163502.gif
845KB, 628x350px
If you're a neet, why not mess around with linux
>comfy customization
>loads of desktop environments
>loads of comfy distros from easy to functional
>security to hide your lolis
>might even spark off a little ambition
>>
>>36654341
>can't run games
Pretty much the only reason why it's not popular
>>
>>36654341
I made it so my computer dualboots w7 and ubuntu.
W7 for gaming and ubuntu for everything else.
Lately, ive been teaching myself how to program in Python. Ive made a lot of progress.
Being neet is awesome if you have a pc
>>
>>36654341
I can't, anon. My Nvidia gpu cucks me and won't let me enjoy comfy linux.
>>
Only problem with Windows is how bland it looks and that's fixable via third party themes. Everything else it does better than shitnux
>>
File: 1445450468763.gif (866KB, 434x234px) Image search: [Google]
1445450468763.gif
866KB, 434x234px
>>36654392
I have a solution fellow bud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4&list=PL8raIQwvt11yay2wcmrphXhzCXkZm0kPb
>>
>>36654489
post your desktop slick
>>
I need muh vidiya. Sorry.
>>
>>36654533
post your specs first
>>
File: 2017-04-29 21_02_41-.png (21KB, 467x403px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-29 21_02_41-.png
21KB, 467x403px
>>36654601
asgshjhgfghadffdgjyj
>>
>>36654341
Because Linux is still a shitshow if you don't have enterprise level support. Good luck finding what obscure thing broke in under ten hours of research and reading ancient forum posts.
>>
>>36654341
>Have a second computer running Linux
>laptop runs Linux (why yes, it is a Thinkpad...)
>have four Linux VMs running right now
>replaced my router with a pfSense box (okay, so it's FreeBSD, whatever)
>keep looking for things to do but don't have any since I'm a NEET
>>
>>36654661
i'm not here to save the righteous
>>
>>36654652
if youre using it for enterprise just lock it up and nothing will broke by itself
>>
>>36654392
>>36654463
>>36654489

Eh... this is why you dual boot or maintain a "Wintendo."

Linux is a GREAT workhorse OS when you get used to it and if you don't mind some initial time investment to get your system the way you like. (This is more or less true of the whole unix family of OS's, really). For me, I think:
- Windows is necessary to have around becase its so standard, is a decent gaming platform, and perfectly fine for basic e-mail/web browsing/office programs, but is horrifically kluugy and overly complicated if you're trying to do anything deep with it.
- OS X is the one OS you can really just "sit down and use" - a new Mac or a fresh OS X install on real Apple hardware requires almost no setup to get going. The learning curve is very quick comparatively speaking
- Linux is the OS where "everything just works." Sure, there may be occasional compatibility issues with particular drivers or programs, but part of that is also down to how flexible it is and how much diverse hardware it supports. You know exactly what is going on with your system, no attempt is made to wall you off and protect you from yourself, your computer does exactly what you ask it to, and having real package management is a godsend.
>>
I'm a software developer and I use Linux all the time, but I don't understand why people treat operating systems as hobbies. The whole point of an operating system is just to faciltate you doing other, more interesting shit. To spend so much time and effort focusing on the OS itself is nonsense, and is usually done by tech illiterate people trying to impress other tech illiterate people by showing off how well they can read the directions for configuring some window manager or other ricing nonsense.
>>
>>36654341
because im not autistic and windows does everything i need it to without the hastle of learning how to use some nerd language
>>
>>36654782
There is no reason to use Linux ever and I say this as someone who was at one point obsessed with it and tried dozens of distros. If you want a nice trackpad and like the MacBook hardware get a mac. If not get a windows machine. Linux is a fucking waste of time and if you can't find something better to do with your time you must be really out of options.
>>
>>36654341
i just bought a 200 euro laptop last week to put linux on it, watch my shows, 4chan and reddit.

cant complain really, wanted to get into linux a long time ago but you cant be serious with dualbooting
>>
>>36654652
And what am I supposed to do when something needs to be changed when a vendor gives me software designed for a specific kernel? What happens when I need to install and uninstall things during work? What if what if what if?

Locking your Linux installation up forever is a shit solution. Linux without support is for nerds who don't have something to do because that's the only demographic with enough time to sit around and troubleshoot whatever esoteric change made X break.
>>
>>36654912
>vendor
found your problem
>>
File: 1473979103752.png (69KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1473979103752.png
69KB, 499x499px
I can masturbate and play outdated vidya just fine on this shitty pirated copy of win7
>>
>>36654801
It's like people who like to spend time customizing/working on their cars.

Also in my case I've been using various *nixes since System V UNIX in the 90s, with linux I can set my modern PC up very much like a classic Sun or SGI unix workstation and that's a comfy, familiar desktop environment for me. It takes some time configuring a new install the way I want but once I do my workflow is very quick and natural. Also given that I've been online that long and grew up using DOS and command line Unices, I tend to use the CLI for most basic file management tasks/etc., and as command line environments go Linux/unix is just much nicer than Windows/DOS.

Also Linux is great if you're stuck on older hardware because you can rip out all the bloat and not waste precious CPU/memory that could go to your programs.
>>
>>36655011
All the things you just listed are ways that the OS facilitates you doing other, more interesting shit. OP is sugesting taking up linux as if it was a hobby.
>>
>>36654955
>admitting you use Linux solely for personal reasons

No one cares that you're "different." You just look like a mild fag. Just be normal and use Windows/OSX like everyone else.
>>
>>36654853
>>36654912

My ex bought a chromebook cause she didn't know any better and it was $80. Then she was disappointed cause she was stuck using chrome apps. I installed Ubuntu on it and she was quite pleased with the much larger software library, since she could actually have a decent torrent client etc. And she was absolutely not a computer nerd, in fact she was pretty technically illiterate.

I suppose I could've hacked windows onto it too since it was an intel chromebook, but that would actually have been more work.

So there. Linux isn't just for nerds.
>>
File: 1472683690629.png (452KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1472683690629.png
452KB, 785x757px
>>36655135

>"anon can you have a look at my new laptop? I cant install any programs on it!"
>mfw
>>
>>36655135
>telling us about his Linux using gf
>on /r9k/

Why do you have to lie, anon?
>>
>>36655219
at least you get more chances for that succ when you pretend youre a hacker by typing sudo apt-get rather than saying you cant install shit on the chromeos
>>
>tfw too stupid to mount usb
>>
File: ShutUp10 Settings.png (174KB, 1417x793px) Image search: [Google]
ShutUp10 Settings.png
174KB, 1417x793px
Hey OP, props for promoting Linux, I'd use it in a heartbeat if it played 100% of games instead of the current 40% (wild guess on my part, definitely correct me if I'm wrong.)

Either way, if anyone's in my same position and begrudgingly using Windows 10, I highly recommend the free software ShutUp10. It fixes all of the inane bullshit in Win10 in one click. That may sound like a shill, but it's free and fucks over Microsoft's greedy practices, so it's actually an anti-shill.
>>
>>36655075

>On /r9k/
>Tells people to be normal
>>
>>36654782
Dual booting is stupid. You have two oses and either you really only use windows for gaming and never start another program other than a video game on it or you end up with a mess with all your files sharef between two operating systems.
If you need windows, then stick to it why bother with linux. If you 100% dont need it, then use just linux.
>>
>>36655584

The problem with your pic is that you're installing a third-party program to control the privacy settings on your PC. How do I know this third-party program having control over my privacy settings isn't itself a risk to my privacy? Microsoft is a huge company, and I find it hard to believe they're running a sort of mass-keylogging operation at Microsoft itself without having employees willing to tell everyone and create a million lawsuits. I'm sure Microsoft has deals with the NSA that allow them to exploit this shit, but I'm more afraid of Nigerian hackers and my local government having access to my private info rather than the NSA.
>>
>>36655906
Those are completely valid criticisms. O&O (the creator of ShutUp10) seems reputable from what I've read, and the app is highly rated based on reviews, but you're exactly right that there's no definite way to tell if a third-party program is safe or not (since reviews can be bought or erroneous.) For your second point, I'm not so much concerned with Microsoft's "mass-keylogging operation" (your guess is as good as mine as to whether that actually exists or not) but with all the other bullshit that's been confirmed that Win10 does (off the top of my head: forced updates, advertisements in start menu, telemetry, advertising ID, Cortana, Bing, etc.)
>>
>>36655584
look yonder >>36654514
>>
File: 1492875805319.png (71KB, 1115x552px) Image search: [Google]
1492875805319.png
71KB, 1115x552px
>>36655584
pfffftahahahahahahahahahaah
>>
seems hard to get into. where do I start?
>>
>>36656407

What's the joke here?
>>
>>36656486
O&O is a microsoft partner, the program doesn't do shit
>>
>>36654341
KALI 4 LYFE
>>
I recently learned about how servers worked (like, the fact that servers are just pieces of software). I did some research instead of just renting a server for a game I like from a company like Gaming Deluxe and now I'm interested in learning how to do server stuff myself. I'm thinking about buying a VPS but first I'll practice in VirtualBox. I have no interest in Linux on my PC, though.
>>
>>36656486
That the developer of the Microsoft anti spy tool is a Microsoft partner maybe?
>>
File: tfwnothumbnails.png (151KB, 742x828px) Image search: [Google]
tfwnothumbnails.png
151KB, 742x828px
>>36654341
I enjoyed fucking around with Linux but I also get really into WoW from time to time.. and then it's back to Win 7 because fuck anything else if all you're doing is playing WoW you can't beat Win7 also it's fairly comfy and there's a few things about linux that are annoying as fuck such as pic related also shit will just randomly break / not work in linux
inb4
>playing wow current year LUL
>>
File: 1364260560894.jpg (227KB, 960x896px) Image search: [Google]
1364260560894.jpg
227KB, 960x896px
>>36654782
What kinda or work would I do on this "workhorse"?
The only non-game apps I run are office and my browser.
>>
>>36656508
>>36656533
>the program doesn't do shit
Unequivocally false. The program makes registry edits that are already readily available in Windows. The only difference is, a single click vs having to find and manually edit 50 different registries.
>>
>>36656569
ask and (you) shall receive an original post >>36654514
>>
I'm so fucking behind technological progress it's hopeless. I actually majored in CS but didn't do any related work since that time (6 years) and pretty much forgot everything. I'm too old and depressed these days to re-learn that crap all over again.
>>
>>36656674
uh yeah... I guess you -could- do a bunch of linux bullshit to play games on linux.. or you could just reboot into / just run bindows and run linux in a VM if you really want to waste the rest of your time ricing your 1337 wm
>>
>>36656655
I guess the point he was making is that you are trusting those checkmarks to do all these things unless you literally checked the functionality of them.
If it is a microsoft partner it might just disable the regular spyware and replace it with another one.
>>
File: arch.png (265KB, 1660x1940px) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
265KB, 1660x1940px
Linux is perfect for NEETs.
>>
>not using kali's skiddie tools to exploit mom/sister's laptop
>>
I tried using Debian twice but I never got far with it, I'm getting an external hard drive soon and when I do I can more effectively switch between Windows and Debian without worrying about my data.
>>
>>36655841
shut the fuck up you raging autist you obviously couldn't figure it out and you are being very specific which is a huge sign of projecting

don't listen to this idiot
>>
>>36654601
>>36654641
they delivered
where is your desktop pussy?
>>
>>36656837
Well fuck, that's actually a completely valid criticism. I guess I misinterpreted it, my mistake.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.