[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is 8-9 hours the commonly accepted length for a work shift?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

File: 1406738019817.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1406738019817.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
Why is 8-9 hours the commonly accepted length for a work shift?

It's too long. I hate this. I can't do this.
>>
>>36627107
Part time and cut down on expenses then
>>
Well it's more time to get money plus you don't have to work weekends
>>
because society is stuck in this archaic thought process of "hurr 8 hours for sleep 8 hours for work and 8 hours for play makes life balanced"

and no one seems to be able to figure out that technology, automation, and work in general is changing so they sit there and wonder why people fuck around on their phones for half a work day
>>
>8 hour shifts are hard
>too hard

Motherfucker try working 10 to 14s. On the plus side the overtime is awesome.
>>
>>36627107
Most people are voluntarily willing to work for that duration. Normalfags literally cannot perceive life as anything other than working and having sex.
>>
File: 41234988089.jpg (33KB, 575x556px) Image search: [Google]
41234988089.jpg
33KB, 575x556px
>>36627279
>other than working and having sex.

That's literally what we evolved to do
>>
>>36627301
We did not evolve to work. What the hell
>>
>>36627257
Fuck that.

I work a twelve hour at a plant. Then soon as I'm off there another 8 hours at a greasy cafe... soon as I'm off there it's off to my third job. Three hours of scrapping dried cum from walls of a glory hole set. THEN yes TEHN i go to my final job for 6 hours unloading trucks. Then back to the first job and start all over.
>>
File: 1493219499589s.jpg (2KB, 125x97px) Image search: [Google]
1493219499589s.jpg
2KB, 125x97px
>>36627324
>hunting food, building shelter, protecting your and your family's life everyday
>not work
>>
>>36627330
when do you sleep????
>>
I hate working. I think I'm not fit for our society because of it. Whenever I tell normies about this they either don't understand or say some bullshit about "just do something you like."

I don't mind life, but I dislike work more in the long run.
>>
>>36627353
name one modern job were you have to do any of that shit
>>
>>36627385
>he still can't connect the dots

You might just be fucking retarded
>>
>>36627330
have fun dying in 2 years
>>
>>36627399
There is no connection. I could become homeless and someone would feed me. Life is easier, but people make it difficult for some reason (not blaming robots here)
>>
>>36627353
First world countries work far more than 3rd world ones, as well as our farming ancestors and likely even our prehistoric ancestors. They really got this whole slave thing going nicely.
>>
>>36627420
>I could become homeless and someone would feed me

then go for it
>>
>>36627401
Maybe sooner. I think I have cum lung. Inhaling the dust from scraping the dried cum for three hours at a time.
>>
>>36627433
It's that whole protestant work ethic thing blah blah blah
>>
During my industry relevant holidays, I work 14-15 hour days for 2+ weeks with no days off. I've put over 100 hours in a week before
>>
people should only be working 4 hours a day max. the fact that our corporate overlords force 8+ hours a day out of those of us who are even able to work is a scam on such an epic scale it's unreal.

don't worry though, they'll find a way to kill off the slaves soon enough. too clear the way for another wave of increased production(and increased profits) all for the elite of our species.
>>
>>36627107
Because the boomer mentality is "work harder, if you ain't making enough money you ain't workin hard enough, make mr shekelstein more money and maybe he'll give you a raise, etc"

8 hours is too fucking long. That's half the hours you're awake during the day, not to mention the time getting ready, driving there and back. Then you do that the majority of the week, 5/8 days. That's fucking bullshit but if you say anything about it they just say you're lazy and need to work harder... Fuck this bullshit, we need to unionize for a standard 30-32 hour work week. Either 5 6 hour shifts or 4 8 hour shifts.

I don't intend to spend the majority of my waking life fucking working to make some other fucker rich.
>>
Honestly envy anyone with a full time job and a set schedule. Part time with janky inconsistent scheduling is the absolute worst.
>>
File: joint_epepe.png (38KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
joint_epepe.png
38KB, 500x498px
>>36627545

>tfw never worked a day in my life
>tfw never will work a day in my life

Feels good not to be a wagecuck
>>
>>36627227

>8 hours for play

more like 4 hours in public transportation and 4 hours trying to sleep
>>
>>36627545
>That's fucking bullshit but if you say anything about it they just say you're lazy and need to work harder... Fuck this bullshit, we need to unionize for a standard 30-32 hour work week. Either 5 6 hour shifts or 4 8 hour shifts.

This
>>
File: 1493057450382.jpg (152KB, 629x800px) Image search: [Google]
1493057450382.jpg
152KB, 629x800px
>All these punk ass white people crying about working such a small amount of hours

Nigga I do double shift sometimes all you need is good rest,nutrition,and maybe 1 energy drink
>>
>live with mommy
>work at a grocery store on Saturday every week over night at 12.12/hr
>work for my mom'a business for about 20 hours a week at 12/hr
Haha
Rent and food usually are included
>>
>>36627385
By working you are gathering money for food, shelter and security.
>>
Welcome to the machine my boy. Everyone has to work, and most people hate their jobs. We all pitch in to make the wheels of this society turn and who thrives in this society? Chads, women, people born into wealth. Everyone else lives a miserable pathetic life. When you're on your deathbed thinking about your life, just imagine how you're going to feel. So many things you never accomplished, so many years wasted.
>>
>>36627558
how can I be you
>>
Even 5 hour shifts were too much for me. I'd rather kill myself than ever work full-time.
>>
>>36627545

i think some Scandinavian countries work basically a 30 hour workweek. and the reason they do is because they found that workers get almost exactly as much done in a 6 hour day as they do in an 8 hour day, because you've only got so much psychological energy to commit to a job. but yeah, good luck getting that here in america
>>
>>36627558
Feels good to have money too. I have a nice car, a sick gun collection, I'm looking into buying a dirt bike and a nice house. Once you get a career salary it's awesome and you're not getting to that point without slaving away for experience and education money. Problem is you slave away at shit paying jobs only to slave away at a decent paying job. I work 4 10's right now with mandatory overtime and no lunch allowed for the first 8 hours of a shift. The money may be decent but it's having an effect on my health both mental and physical. This is not okay, I don't realize how so many people accept that it's okay for employers to do this to people. Wtf is wrong with society? We need to stand up and do something.

For the record I'm not some nu-commie retard. When I say do something I mean for OUR people, not others. The immigrant hoards only made it worse, they created an oversupply of cheap laborers and stagnated wages for all jobs, notably the entry level positions. That's why there are so many NEETs, spics occupy the jobs that used to go to young people that just got our of school. Might not be spics in your country, but whatever cheap labor the (((elites))) in your country imported to increase their fucking GDP/profits at the expense of your quality of life. We could have had decent labor standards by now, but since there's an oversupply of workers we have no bargaining chip. We demand higher standards and they say fuck you we're hiring spics who will never demand higher standards because they're okay with living in a ghetto their entire lives, and to top it off we're giving them YOUR money in the form of welfare so we get to pay them even less!

We've been so ripped off it's not fucking funny.
>>
>>36627852

I saw this thing about japan how they allow workers to fall asleep at work without getting in trouble because they work stupid long hours. I was thinking why not just cut their hours to give them more time to rest and have them be more productive.
>>
File: southernNEET.jpg (93KB, 410x409px) Image search: [Google]
southernNEET.jpg
93KB, 410x409px
>>36627777
>>36627856

>Double posting

I have enough money to where I can meet my needs.

>it's awesome

For you, perhaps. I value my free time more than I value money. What good are material possessions when your life is wrapped around Mr. Shekelstein's finger?
>>
>>36627107
Sell drugs
Jobs are for losers.
>>
>>36627852
This is true. I mentally check out after 6 hours, my mind is just buzzing by then. I pay attention to subtleties and it's always almost exactly 6 hours when this happens. I'll also typically work at a slower pace when I know there's more time to waste until the end of a shift, to sort of space the shift out to look busy the whole time.
>>
>>36627882
>Tfw got quads and didn't realize it
>Deleted post to edit it

I just can't fucking win.
>>
>>36627875
because that's communism.
>>
>>36627107
It's about keeping the plebs occupied. When you give the working man lots of free time, he starts to have radical ideas and starts acting instead of just complaining. He starts learning things, he starts improving himself, he starts questioning. He starts to look at the establishment and think he actually can do something about it.
>>
>>36627875
cause the companies make more money by forcing their workers to stay. duh.
>>
>>36627896
>try to sell drugs
>only find one person interested
>turns out to be undercover cop
>get locked up for trying to murder people with weed
>get raped by tyrone in prison
>never able to get a real job ever again
yeah, but at least you won't be a loser right
>>
>>36627227
>8 hours work, 8 hours play
That's implying you get home immediately after finishing work.
You'll usually lose 1 of those play hours on travel to work.
You'll lose another hour on the process of waking up in the morning and getting ready for work. You'll lose another half hour after you get home on trying to wind down from being at work.
>>
>>36627875

that isn't even the worst of it. people in japan die from overwork/stress. sometimes they go at it for like 80-100 hours a week and people in their 30s die of heart attacks
>>
>>36627897
imagine having to deal with that, and have the busiest part of your day be in those last 2 hours. after having stayed up all night working the grave shift.and you have to deal with extreme normies and their petty complaints along with the scum of society with their retardation. you don't have a consistent schedule so you can never plan anything. and are tired all the time both physically and mentally from work
>only gets paid $12/hr

this is hell.
>>
>>36628092
Buncha fucking cucks. Why don't they do something about it?

Here in the West it's not that bad but still people care more about what gender some faggot thinks he is than actual issues like labor reform.

>>36628124
>Has no education
>Gets paid 12/hr
>Gets to work night shift and do nothing

Not that bad honestly, could be worse.
>>
>>36627852
Yeah, but that wouldn't pay enough money to live on.
If the UK tried that, they would still only pay us minimum wage. The company would love it. But people wouldn't get paid enough money to cover rent. People would have to work at least two jobs to make ends meet.

Then both those jobs will only get 50% out of a very tired, very overworked employee.
Wages need to be abolished. All workplaces should pay a salary. Let the worker know that if he finishes early then he can go home early but still get paid. Then he'll fucking work harder.
>>
>>36628237
Hours need to be slightly reduced, that's the thread topic, but wages need to be slightly raised, those topics go hand in hand.
>>
>>36627107
I don't know if this is an America thing, a baby boomer thing, or a general human thing but people just have a fetish with working

>"hurr durr I bust my ass 60 hours a week!"
>"I have three jobs and only a few hours to sleep in my car!" yes I've actually heard this before
>"pound the pavement! call the manager! pull your bootstraps! write those job applications harder! give a manly man's handshake! apply everywhere even if the job is way out of your league! march all over the town like a madman! nobody's hiring? you're just a lazy fucking millenial!"
>"um... what do you mean you don't want your life to revolve around your job?"

with social inertia, the 40-hour workweek probably won't phase out anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong
>>
>>36627257
>>36627330
>work 16 hour shifts as an emt
>literally watch 4 movies a shift

Shit's cash although my coworkers hate me because autism
>>
>>36628273
Employers won't raise wages. They figure that if they're going to pay you a set amount, then they may aswell keep you around for as long as possible.
It gives them the opportunity to send you home early, if everything is done, and not pay you for those hours you didn't work.

Or that's how it is in my situation. If the work is being finished early then they'll send us home early. They won't pay until the end of the day, though. So they basically punish us for working hard.
But if you work slow then they'll certainly whine about it and threaten to fire you. Can't win.
>>
File: 740full-simonetta-stefanelli.png (492KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
740full-simonetta-stefanelli.png
492KB, 640x427px
>>36628027
You have breaks at work, I get a 30 min unpaid lunch and two paid 15s
>>
>>36627330
thats 29 hours

anon you make no sense, you'd be late to your first job
>>
>Worked 8 hour shifts for years
>New job is 9 hour shifts

The last hour is pure torture, I'm going to quit this job as soon as I can.
>>
I wish I got 8 hour shifts.
>tfw work 3:30 pm to 3:30 am, 6 days a week, at minimum wage
>finally have money for things I want but no time or energy for them
I'm weighing the benefits of starting to play the lottery versus just killing myself.
>>
>>36627567
Shut the fuck up, good for you. You going to gloat to more people about how much you work? You're such an inspiration, make sure to tell your kids that if they don't play their cards right they'll end up with jobs they hate and have to commit 80% of their fucking time all day until they die

Oh but wait this dude here's doing DOUBLE SHIFTS so clearly you shouldn't be bitching at all.

Fuck work, fuck being there for 8:30 hours when I could finish all my goddamn work in 4-6, fuck wasting 2 more hours of my goddamn time in fucking transit every single day being miserable for almost 11 hours daily only to get home with no energy to do shit and somehow go to sleep in an 8 hour timespan but end up sleeping 4 because you dread the next day

Oh but I got the weekends off now, wow great we made it guys 2 days to live your life

Trash world unless you're living in scandinavian countries
Utter fucking trash
>>
>ITT: wow you work 10 hour shifts? heh ... try working 15...... kiddo ;)
>>
>>36628581
Hehe I work 16 hours a day, Mr Shekelstein is VERY happy with my work
>>
>>36627567
wow youre so hard, youre such a good tool. good boy.
>>
File: NEETastronaut2.jpg (455KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
NEETastronaut2.jpg
455KB, 700x700px
>>36628562

>Japanese Salarymen literally work 14 hours a day(Sometimes more)
>They'll work, eat, sleep at their jobs
>Societal+Office pressure means they'll never use their vacation days
>Literal wageslaves, bound to their jobs by a (mental)chain

And yet, they could be free if they could merely free their minds.
>>
File: 1464451375554.png (160KB, 556x730px) Image search: [Google]
1464451375554.png
160KB, 556x730px
>tfw working 1-2 hour shifts 10 times a month
who /comfyjob/ here?
>>
>>36628415
Are you a fast worker? Good then you can do more work for the same amount of pay.
>>
File: 1459049147977.jpg (50KB, 499x488px) Image search: [Google]
1459049147977.jpg
50KB, 499x488px
>when you hate the weekend and going home because it just means you drink and be lonely instead of being around people at work and being a valuable person
>>
>>36627107
if you can't handle your job, get a different one.

>>36627563
you are a fucking moron.

>>36627227
people fucked around before, too. automation did L I T E R A L L Y nothing at the global scale in terms of work efficiency. it's far behind demand where it's being developed, and it's completely nonexistent in most industries.

ITT everybody is super duper smart, smarter than everyone else! but don't even manage their own billion dollar businesses.

8 hours is only one small part in optimizing output from employees. if you aren't human trash and you can do the expected amount of work in less time, you can convince anyone on this planet to allow to do that. worst case scenario you have some stubborn boss and you will replace him in a fucking year if you know the job better. but 99 times out of 100, the employee (you) is just a fucking lazy cunt who wants to do less/rushed work.

btw nobody keeps track of your hours at real jobs. my first three years in biotech i probably averaged 22 hours.
>>
>>36628637
Don't forget it shows initiative so you get a chance at a promotion to do more work for not as much more pay so in the end you're still doing the same shit and still don't have much free time and spend 3/4 of your money on rent and utilities to keep yourself going and repeat the cycle

But then there's anons who barely do work and get mad bank by pulling a business out of their ass like >>36628633
>>
I wake up at 5:50, drive to work at 6:40 and leave at 16:00. I'm at home at around 16:40. I really need to move closer to work but it's not that bad.

The highlight of my week is getting shitfaced from friday afternoon til sunday. It's a shitty life, but I haven't killed myself yet.
>>
>>36627507

4 is a bit low. Tbh I think 6-7 is okay. I can easily be productive for 5-6 hours at a time but that last hour or two is always just brutal.
>>
>>36628526

that's brutal. what do you do?
>>
normies absolutely fetishize productivity, they simply cannot grasp the fact someone doesnt want their life to be just working and sleeping and making money youre never gonna spend anyway.

what the fuck is in it for normies anyway? everytime i mention i only work 12hrs a week they are baffled. why do they want m e to work more, what good does it do to them. why cant they understand some people just wont conform?? im so lost on this its driving me insane desu, the looks on their faces. why do they want you to work and slave your life away. i dont fucking get it, its a fetish to them is my only answer.
>>
File: 1485662962091.jpg (295KB, 884x902px) Image search: [Google]
1485662962091.jpg
295KB, 884x902px
>tfw can't sleep because I know I have 8.5 hours of work tomorrow
I don't want to go

I don't want to go anymore
>>
>>36630368
Because they either have families or rent to pay, and 12 hours isn't sustainable
Basically you just told them that you're a leech in some way

And don't get me wrong, not shaming you for that...I'd do what you do all my life if I had a choice
Fuck working for so many hours...I don't have a family, nor will I ever end up in one because I'm too fucking tired to bother with anything aside from work. When I get home I don't even have the energy to play games

It's a shitty cycle meant to trap you forever, and people wonder why suicide rates are rising

Life is trash, if you don't have strong willpower to "pull yourself by the bootstraps" and do more school/work stupidly hard so you get promoted you won't get anywhere

People like us are meant to suffer..
>>
File: 1481009997127.jpg (20KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
1481009997127.jpg
20KB, 265x265px
>>36627257
>tfw salaried and no over time pay
>expected to work at least 50hr/week
fuck. i want out ;_;
>>
Because if the whole world just worked part-time we wouldn't get anything done. Look at Italy and France; their lunch break is two hours and they're both shitholes.

If we all worked overtime productivity would drop because people couldn't handle it. Some people can, and in fact, thrive under heavy workload--top tier students work around the clock and actually don't play videogames or shitpost on the internet; they get shit done. Doctors and lawyers work around the clock because they can handle the work and reap the benefits without it taking a toll on them.

You, on the other hand, seem to have a lower tolerance for work than average. That's fine, just work around it. You saying that the standard for work is too hard is analogous to feminists saying the standard for beauty is too high. In both cases, lowering the standard just makes for a generally more shitty society.
>>
>get my own small business
>make double what I made being a wagie for just about 30 hrs a week
>mom starts giving me shit because I stay at the computer all day even though I pay her more loser tax now
Fucking normies think work is some magical abstract shit that makes you more righteous the more of it you do, they actually don't give a shit about efficiency
>>
>>36631009
Fuck anon, same here. Can't fall asleep tonight for a few different reasons so I'm downing caffeine to keep myself awake.
>>
investing stock market gives you 7% annual return on your money in the long run. however, if you're living off it, it's only safe to withdraw 4% a year because of sequence of return risk.

i have 170,000 in stocks right now. so i passively make 7% - or about 12,000 / yr. if i were to quit my job, my safe withdrawl rate would be only 4% - 6800 / yr or 566 / month. not enough considering my rent is 1500 / month, and i also have to pay cell phone, car insurance, gas, electricity, food, and health insurance at the very least.

i will have to be saving and investing for a long time, a decade or more before i have enough investments to live off of. it's very depressing.
>>
>>36631343
>lower tolerance for work
>work around it

the stupidity of these two statements being so close to each other is astounding.
>>
>tfw including commuting time my work days are usually 12-13 hours
>tfw I was a neet with unlimited free time only a year or so ago

I don't even have time to kill myself
>>
>>36631343
>The problems Italy and France have are entirely caused by long lunch breaks

Astoundingly retarded post
>>
>>36628287
How did you even get the job with autism? I'm always turned down right after the interview, one asshole even told me straight, "you seem shy, we want more sociable people here." Like they have no idea how well I'd perform my job at all, it's all about image. so I work at a shitty grocery store for minimum wage intstead.
>>
>>36632117
"autism" is such a broadly used term here that it is practically meaningless
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.