[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does mommy keep getting mad at me for spending money on video

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: 1491602221271.jpg (49KB, 318x427px) Image search: [Google]
1491602221271.jpg
49KB, 318x427px
why does mommy keep getting mad at me for spending money on video games?

it's my only hobby. it's my only expense. I have over $15k saved and she still reads my bank statements and gets mad when I buy a console or overwatch boxes or something

what's her problem lads?
>>
>>36550822
stop buying overwatch boxes

but you should also tell your mom to fuck off ifyou make your own money
>>
Buying games is one thing, you actually get tangible enjoyment from your money

Buying overwatch boxes is the absolute height of retardation though
>>
did you earn that money yourself?
>>
>>36550865
I did, I have a part time job

>>36550829
>>36550854
I need the skins senpai
>>
>>36550891
okay, so if it's your money, why does she have access to your account?

also, move out
>>
>>36550982
>also, move out
you have to pay rent then, baka
>>
open a new account at the same bank and move your money into that account. If a condition of you still living at home is your mom having access to your account then you seriously need to set some boundaries with her and/or move out, put your big boy pants on and get an apartment.
>>
>>36550982
I can't move out with what I make lol
>>
>>36551119
well, fuck, call the bank. switch to digital statements. deny her access. save some trees.
>>
File: 1452197006481.jpg (78KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
1452197006481.jpg
78KB, 338x305px
>>36550822
>video games
>hobby

Its an escapist activity, not a hobby.

Its the thing you turned to after you failed at life. You do it to numb yourself, not because you're inspired by it, or passionate about it or particularly good at it.

Your mum knows this. To her you might as well be spending that money on drink, drugs, or even worse, anime.

Maybe you have a problem anon... In fact you certainly do because you're on this board. Maybe one day instead of playing vidya, sit down and feel the feelings that drive you towards playing vidya. Becoming aware of your feelings is the first step to dealing with them. Allow yourself to feel the feels.
>>
>>36551157
Yeah, but life is way easier if mommy manages my adult life.
>>
>>36551034
>tfw parents make me pay rent

Only $250 a month but still, unfortunate.
>>
>>36551179
You can argue any activity is an escapist activity. Your point is invalid.
>>
>>36551179
But I am good. I consistently am one of, if not thee, top player in both BF4 and Bad Co 2. So fuck off.
>>
>>36551202
Ummm, no lol. Hobbies are hobbies aka socially acceptable things that grown ADULTS do.

How about you put some pants on, get a job, and maybe get your dick sucked
>>
>>36551205
oh. have you tried telling your mum this? maybe then she'll understand
>>
>>36551248
Ummm, no lol. I knew this kid in highschool who was obsessed with football and particular sports team. One day I said to him maybe you like football so much because it allows you to escape from the problems in your life. He got up from the table we were at and walked away never to return. How about you realize your psychoanalysis is total bullshit and can be used to argue any stance you want from the a single fact?
>>
>>36550822
That you don't take out a mortgage and get a house, and that you instead spend on vidya. This is one of the spots where "work before play" is actually applicable. If you have any other NEET friends, maybe you both should rent a flat together.
Now if you live on your own eith a job, she's just a controlling bitch.
>>
Tell your mom to fuck off. Why the hell do you let her read your bank statements?
>>
>>36551202
>You can argue any activity is an escapist activity.
Not really. Its possible to engage in activities without the explicit purpose of trying to escape. You only engage in escapism, so you view everything through this lens.

My hobbies include exercise, dance classes, improv comedy workshops, and going out and talking to girls. Each one teaches me new skills, forces me to expand my comfort zone and grow as a person. Each is constructive in some way.

Another hobby used to be programming before I got a job doing it, now I just do it for work instead of fun.

Video games are a distraction, you consume them. There may be a small percentage of people who use video games as a platform for their own creative content... but then their actual hobby when they do that would be blogging, youtubing, or art. The videogame element would be somewhat incidental.

So no I think your argument is invalid.

>>36551205
When I say "good" I mean top percent of players on the planet. Nobody gives a shit if you're top of the list on a pubbie server. Plus as far as I know nobody plays those games competitively.
>>
>>36551473
Everything you do is a distraction you indulge yourself in before you die. Living life helps to distract you from thinking about your penultimate death.
Please keep telling me how you can't argue any activity is escapist in nature.
>>
>>36551341
Nice anecdotal example of "disproving" what a hobby is. Face it; you're a failed person. You justify sitting alone all day (or maybe with online "friends") by screaming, "it's the same as football!" Or "how is it any different than getting drunk at a bar with friends?!?"

There is no merit to anything you do (beyond eating, drinking, and sleeping) other than what YOU ascribe to those things. Like me and the vast majority of non-failures, most of what I do either provides some benefit to society OR is socially acceptable because there is a reason it is socially acceptable.

So, in short, go back to playing your silly little games and collecting your dolls but don't compare (or dare to compare) that to doing what REAL adults do.
>>
>>36551549
See >>36551530
I think that should help you.
>>
>>36551179
Video games are a form of media the same way TV is, except even the dumbest video game increases various skills. While I do think that if OP is a NEET, he is using it as escapism, the majority of people play video games as a passtime/hobby. I'm assuming you just have one chair in your house with a small table on it and a bed in the corner, and that you just sit in that chair from 5:30 to 11:00 doing nothing.
>>
>>36551473
>When I say "good" I mean top percent of players on the planet. Nobody gives a shit if you're top of the list on a pubbie server. Plus as far as I know nobody plays those games competitively

Someone has to be in the top percentage (pro tip; I'm one of them). Also, how do you prove you're "good" at reading books? I mean, if I bought books my mom probably wouldn't say anything. But why is that? How are books (or just about anything else) not ridiculed as much as video games? I don't understand
>>
>>36551188
Iktf
Freedom is pretty hard to find without responsibility. Choose wisely
>>
>>36551600
So if video games=life then what's the point of doing anything else? Video games = food = drinking = sleeping = securing shelter = spending time with family = doing anything other than killing yourself

I never knew
>>
>>36551636
Not arguing with you just answering this question:
>how do you prove you're "good" at reading books
You analyze a text, and if people read your analysis and agree with you or think, DAMN I wish I saw that when I read the book then you are good at reading books.
I would like to reiterate I'm not arguing with you.
>>
>>36551708
>then what's the point of doing anything else?
No one can answer this question since people still argue over philosophy, religion, etc. Also your use of equating all those things is erroneous and is a fallacy on your part to misconstrue my assertion to make it look ridiculous. My assertion is not that they are all equal, but they all serve the same purpose of being an escape/distraction from death. Please stop using brainlet tactics to try to misrepresent others.
>>
>>36551530
>Please keep telling me how you can't argue any activity is escapist in nature.

Escapism, by definition, implies escaping from misery or unpleasentness through fantasy and distraction.

It is possible to engage in activities for reasons other than escaping pain, particularly if those activities themselves involve some form of pain, like exercise, or performing where you face potential embarrassment.

You can purposefully seek out painful or uncomfortable situations in order to conquer them and become better and stronger. Or you can run from the pain you're carrying around with you and try to cover it up and forget its there, but ultimately it still rules you.

The only way you can say "all activity is escapism" is if you basically ignore the definition of the word and have no conception of doing anything other than escapism.
>>
>>36551816
You can't honestly believe that feeding yourself and playing video games achieve the same thing in life, do you?
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 284x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 284x313px
>>36551636
Stop being a NEET and move out. Get a job, get a small 1000 sq foot house, get a NEET friend (if you have one) to move in with you, and get a car. I did this when I went to uni. I was a NEET for a year, and I had a NEET friend from high school. We both were feeling shitty and we moved out together. Now I would never go back too NEETdom, still virgin, but at least I am on my own but with a friend living in the master bedroom. We play vidya and shit together.
>>
>>36551893
They both distract me from thinking about my death. They have achieved the same goal. But both activities achieve many goals. One of them just happens to be the same.
The moment you realize things don't come in pairs, are black and white, etc. is the moment you cease to be a brainlet.
You can't honestly believe that feeding yourself and playing video games only achieve ONE goal?
>>
>>36551942
>implying I could have a friend
>mfw This guy is serious
>>
>>36551632
>various skills

Skills such as... fucking nothing. The only skills you learn are skills that are necessary when playing the game itself, they don't transfer to other areas of life. And I don't care if you once read an article about corporations hiring WoW raid leaders to work for them, that was bullshit.

>I'm assuming you just have one chair in your house with a small table on it and a bed in the corner, and that you just sit in that chair from 5:30 to 11:00 doing nothing.

I'm not saying I never engage in distraction or that I don't play video games. But I recognise when I'm doing so and I don't call them "hobbies". I mean I'm on this board right now, its pointless distraction, but its not a "hobby"

>>36551636
>Someone has to be in the top percentage (pro tip; I'm one of them)
Sure you are, kiddo.

>Also, how do you prove you're "good" at reading books? I mean, if I bought books my mom probably wouldn't say anything. But why is that?

Non-fiction books are constructive because they can teach you things. Fictional books are a form of escapism
>>
>>36552039
>implying escapism is bad
Stop being a brainlet. Please.
>>
>>36552132
>running from your problems instead of facing them
>>
>>36551945
One literally keeps you alive. No matter how much it "distracts" you, you have to do it or die. This is fairly black and white in my opinion. They can both be pleasurable I guess but you realise you need to do one and by the other, right?

Once you understand this, you can understand why people (aka (((society)))) mock certain activities. Some things keep society alive. These are things society needs to survive. One is people having kids. What is a good way to increase your chance of having kids? Having friends/being social. This is why some (most) people shun certain things you might consider hobbies. I'm done trolling but I do want to point out that it's ridiculous at least to me, to compare playing video games to eating. You actively make a choice every second you're alive to not kill yourself. Beyond that, you do things to make your life easier; eating, drinking, working for money (which by proxy can make life easier). In addition to that, you do things you want to do (see; video games). Lastly, there are things you do to appease society (have friends, work more, not leech). I personally spend my days alone, or at most with my mom or brother. I play video games, read, shotpost, and go shooting/do autistic shit outside when I can.

I don't really remember the point I was pretending to argue against, and since I'm on mobile, I can really go up and look.
>>
>>36552219
>(((problems)))
You're right. I need a final solution.
>>
>>36552253
This doesn't even make sense. You probably know that, though.
>>
>>36552014
What I'm saying is that there is hope. Put in effort and you can have a NEET and normie life, all of the good stuff and little of the bad. At home from 6:30 to 11:30 I have a NEET life of no worries, but I have a normie life from 8 to 6
My schedule today is
7:40 Wake up, eat, shower, get dressed
8:40 me and my friend go to work. He works from 9 to 5 whereas I work 9-1
2:00 go to uni
4:30 get home, do uni work
6-7 ish: take a break, make/ get dinner
6-midnight: Play vidya with friend/browse 4chan.
I understand how you feel, but NEET life is actually really shitty and even more depressing than successful robot life.
Also, how do you not have a friend? My school had an outcast clique, albeit there was only seven of us, and only two of us became NEETs, I still had a few people I could call "friend"
>mfw everyone thought we would shoot up the school.
>>
>>36551179
>or passionate about it or particularly good at it
Speak for yourself pasta-kun.
>>
>>36551248
>muh REAL hobbies
>>
>>36552359
I haven't ever stayed at another person'a house since I was in kindergarten, haven't been to anyone's party save my own (which only family comes to), have only family and work numbers in my phone, have a Facebook page with no posts for several years, no profile pic, and less than 100 "friends". I can keep going, but the only carry over from highschool is my loneliness. I bought a gun from someone who was a year ahead me a few months back but haven't talked to him since.

Yeah, no friends and don't know how to make any. I dislike clubs and don't feel like getting tons of debt at (((uni))) just because. I'll stick to the night shift/mommy bux and playing video games.
>>
>>36552299
I'm implying all problems come from Jews, which they do, unironically. It wasn't the best thing I've typed out, but fuck it and you ;_;
>>
>>36551179
>or even worse anime
>you dont die from anime

Well, partially inside, and your reputation would be getting killed too, but who cares.
>>
>video games aren't a real hobby!

>my hobbies include netflix, travel, loving life, and PIZZA LOL!
>>
>>36552665
It all just depends on what you derive pleasure from. Notice how one side deems an activity as not a real hobby because it does not give them pleasure, while the other side deems it a hobby because it does. An interesting observation. Which one again points to being able to deem any activity is escapism or less legitimate than others.
>>
>>36551549
Tbh if hes good at a game like league/csgo then it is the same shit as football or whatever, without the mainstream social popularity that being good at sportsball brings
>>
>>36552885
Also watching any sportsball is just as dumb as watching people play video games. It's just an excuse for people who suck to feel like they are a part of it.
>>
Hobbies are a dating site meme. Real people don't have hobbies.
>>
>>36552515
>I haven't been to anyone's house
How small was your school? Mine only was 400 and I still found a niche, and I have Assburgers
>Facebook
Is trash. I don't even have any form of normie social media other than Google plus and Skype.
> no friends and don't know how to make any
There's plenty of us here on /r9k/. Find someone. Do a meetup or something.
> Clubs
Reasonable. Many are shitty.
>(((Uni)))
>>>/pol/
>mommybux
What about when she dies? Leeching is a horrible plan. Also literally pee pee poo meme.

You are at the deep end, but unless you are over 24, you can get out of it. You have a job. Use your money to buy a house.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.