[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>It has taken nearly four years, but mathematicians are f

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: mochizuki.jpg (38KB, 549x673px) Image search: [Google]
mochizuki.jpg
38KB, 549x673px
>It has taken nearly four years, but mathematicians are finally starting to comprehend a mammoth proof that could revolutionise our understanding of the deep nature of numbers.

>The 500-page proof was published online by Shinichi Mochizuki of Kyoto University, Japan in 2012 and offers a solution to a longstanding problem known as the ABC conjecture, which explores the fundamental relationships between numbers, addition and multiplication beginning with the simple equation a + b = c.

>Mathematicians were excited by the proof but struggled to get to grips with Mochizuki's "Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory" (IUT), an entirely new realm of mathematics he had developed over decades in order to solve the problem.

This guy basically invented his own realm of mathematics to solve a seemingly unsolvable problem. How does one become a genius like him?

I don't get how come some people can just work for hours on end without procrastinating or burning out.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2099534-mathematicians-finally-starting-to-understand-epic-abc-proof/
>>
>It has taken nearly four years, but mathematicians are finally starting to

Sorry but was anyone keeping track? Nobody gives a fuck about mathematicians and what they're doing.
>>
File: UR1AWlY.jpg (10KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
UR1AWlY.jpg
10KB, 441x408px
>>36531513
NEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD

He's not white though, so its probably not a big deal
>>
>>36531633
I hate being a brainlet, shit sucks man. Imagine how he must feel interacting with normal people every day. He must feel like he's part of a different species.
>>
File: tumblr_n6gdrsw0tk1s13fhgo3_540.png (198KB, 520x350px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6gdrsw0tk1s13fhgo3_540.png
198KB, 520x350px
>>36531736
Being a brainlet is top-tier comfy happiness.
>>
>>36531513
Go study a fucking field.

Why do NEET's think you can just achieve something out of sheer will? No, that's not how it works.

Go to college, read, understand, listen and keep doing it until you have perfected it. It takes labor to become a master, not nature.
>>
>>36531633
>He's not white though, so its probably not a big deal
He's Japanese, so probably substantial deal
>>
>>36531983
College is a meme
Origi
>>
>>36532135
American college is. Everywhere else is mostly worthless compared to Europe and parts of Asia.

You're a failure because you're unable to think that way.

If you don't care to listen, fine. It's probably easy for you to teach yourself a college level curriculum, right? That's why you're here?
>>
>>36532135
>College is a meme
pls elaborate
>>
>>36531513
What does /sci/ think of this?
>>
>>36531983
>dude just go out and become a world renowned mathematician
okay norman
>>
>>36532469
you gotta put in the work, retard.
>>
>>36532466
Never realised there was such a board.
>>
File: 1492606245899.jpg (80KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
1492606245899.jpg
80KB, 450x433px
I thought everyone here was nerds so I thought there would be some interesting conversation on this. Nope, I guess not. I forgot that most people here are the nerds who played video games, not the nerds who are intelligent.

Anyways, I want to know too. Christoper Langan (look him up) taught himself smart shit when he was in highschool so it's possible, but I have to do some more research. I'm looking up shit on mathematical metaphysics atm. I'm also looking up philosophy shit. Mainly existentialism because I'm a depressed robot and nier (robot game for robots like us) taught me about all the existentialists, like Sartre, Kierkegaard, Pascal, etc. If I'm not going to be a normal member of society, I at least want to be a well of knowledge. I'd rather be more sage-like that neet-like.

Good luck, my man. It's good to see someone who wants to make something of them self on this board. The world is lacking in intellectuals, imo. Which is ironic, because we have knowledge more available than ever. People lack ambition, I suppose. Anyways, live long and prosper, my dude.
>>
>>36532514
>dude just put in the work and you can achieve anything, even though everyone else is also putting in the work and things like intelligence and natural talent become the deciding factor of which few come out on top
okay chad
>>
inspiration and passion have slowly left my body overtime, and now I have nothing. OP's post really proves it to me
>>
>>36531513

I think the greatest gift you can have is a true passion.
>>
>>36532469
>>36532574
You're a weak willed failure.

>dude it's either you're born successful or a waste like me, no work is involved lmao

Defeatist weaklings make me sick. You may as well serve until you're blown up.
>>
>>36531736
He probably feels that way when he goes to the urinal too.
>>
>>36532587
What if it's passion for My Little Pony and naruto?

It must be isolating to be so high IQ in MLP and dominate everyone else in anime figurine collections. He must feel so above everyone else. Truly truly intelligent when it comes to anime... simply the next Einstein.... all will hail...
>>
>>36532574
>okay chad
exactly, bitch. i'm obviously superior than you. love it when i come on here to see sad worms like you.
>>
>>36532469
This comment was gold man

Note for all the normie brainlets: If you aren't born that way like you yourself certainly are not then you will never make it.

"""Studying""" will not do you as much good as you think, bootstrappers.
>>
>>36532590
>anyone who recognizes that genetics and early environment are actually important factors in whether you'll be successful in your field is just being lazy and looking for excuses for their failure
okay friendo

>>36532695
>wasting your tuesday evening on 4chan
you just got overtaken in the game of life by a thousand other people who used those few minutes to study and work.
>>
>>36532256
That post made zero sense and is nothing but non sequitors
>>
>>36532745
>wasting your tuesday evening on 4chan
i already have a job. i only spend a few hours here.
>>
>>36532792
>I only waste a few hours here
ftfy brad
>>
>you just have to be born that way bro
Is their any more of a pathetic bitch of an excuse for being a fucking failure?
>>
>>36532810
>ftfy brad
thanks. continue wasting your life here, friend.
>>
File: 1474507835702.png (183KB, 903x714px) Image search: [Google]
1474507835702.png
183KB, 903x714px
>>36532812
>bro
yeah okay guy, we definitely talk that way

>>36532828
And goodbye to you Brad. I'm sure you'll leave immediately having realized that you neither belong here nor should continue being here. Toodles.
>>
>>36532135
And this is why you're still a worthless brainlet.
>>
>>36532706
Nobody gives a fuck. All that math yet he can't protect his sad brain from getting smashed.
>>
>>36532565
Go back to fucking reddit ortigi
>>
>>36532855
Why haven't you ended your life sooner?
>>
>>36532792
>i already have a job.
Yeah so do a billion other people

>i only spend a few hours here.
And a million others used that time to improve themselves in some way. Every minute you piss away is a minute where your ranking in your field of expertise goes into free fall as those who put in that time overtake you. Or you know, maybe time investment is not everything and they too piss away their evenings consuming media and browsing the internet but they just so happened to be born with a better brain that automatically puts them in the top 1% without even trying
>>
File: die.jpg (261KB, 939x1500px) Image search: [Google]
die.jpg
261KB, 939x1500px
I really doubt OP is as smart as he says he is. Everyone in this thread is a clone copy of
>>
>>36531513
>Derived sciences
Who cares?
>>
>>36532565
Intelectuals are just fags who think they are above normies for knowing things, ascension comes from thinking and perceiving. Anyone calling themselves an intelectual is bound to the small circle of people that identify themselves in that way. Be worldly, recognize that unintelegent people are just as human and capable of introspection as you. Study philosophy and math not to pursue a status but to see your world in new ways.
Also getting your inspiration for existentialism from a fucking video game means 95% chance you get one fifth of the way through a book and drop it, not to mention the hypocrisy of you belittling 'video game nerds' as seperate from 'intelectual nerds'
>>
>>36531513
People like this will be rarer and rarer as time passes, this guy didn't grew up with

>Videogames
>Netflix
>Memes
>Unlimited music
>YouTube

We have too much entertainment to be able to achieve anything, it's too much distraction, people today just want to be happy, they don't really care anymore.
>>
>my pussy when >>36531513
>>
>>36532986
Utter bullshit. All it takes is a little bit of self control. Stop blaming things and start trying to improve yourself. No one makes you binge watch Netflix or spend all day on 4chan. I struggle with this shit but again Netflix doesn't make me watch entire seasons I do decide too and so does everyone else. If you wanna do some else do it. You're not a slave anything so stop whining like you are.
>>
>>36531983
I can achieve things out of sheer will though. That's the fun of being an autist. I don't find math remotely interesting though. The things I do I can usually excel at.
>>
>>36533227
Even people that can ignore all distractions and have willpower to study and work all day
They're not getting into math.
They're not getting into science
Why? It's too much Learning and too little money.
This mathematician guy, developed a new realm of mathematics for decades and i can bet he's not remotely wealthy.
Smart intelligent today people just want to get rich
They're getting into business, stocks
Scientists, mathematicians, they have one thing in common
They don't have money.
>>
>>36531777

Kek confirms

Know your place
>>
>>36531513
Be inspired and the work will do itself.

>>36532986
Definitely, modern entertainment is the new cult. But as it gets more formulaic, not and more outliers will step in to produce truly interesting and innovative stuff. The people that don't care for anything beyond themselves are generally the same one that don't leave behind any legacy
>>
>>36533341
Sounds like a lot of bull shit to me. People have always done things because they enjoy it not everyone is money motivated. Also people study a little bit of everything. People like him aren't going anywhere.
>>
>>36533488
>People like him aren't going anywhere

Where do you think you are nigger?
Do you think a bunch of fat neets on /r9k/
Are going to be remotely successful?
You think we're full of normies but we aren't
It's just LARPing to get replies
If you browse this board you aren't a healthy, productive, member of society to begin with
You can be a little bit less of a loser, sure.
But still a loser anyway
Don't try to act like you don't belong here.
>>
>>36533008
Nobody gives a fuck about your pussy you stupid fucking roastie

This is the issue with you women. You don't value the lofty goals to which men tend to aspire. You don't value achievement, accomplishment, perseverance, and greatness to any extent apart from as a means of social signalling

He's a highly accomplished mathematician, truly a genius, and all you can think about is whether he's physically attractive to you. That's all you ever think about.

"It's just numbers who cares, is this going to cure cancer?" those are the kinds of things you fucking roasties say.

You contribute nothing to humanity
>>
>>36531513
Thanks for posting it, OP. I enjoyed the article.

>>36532565
Being a nerd is about alienation, not intelligence or video games, friendo.
>>
>>36533762
How can you fall for such obvious bait?
How can you write a thoughtful, several lines long reply for something so obviously retarded?
It's a fat neckbeard having a giggle.
Not a real woman.
YOU HAVE TO BACK.
>>
>>36531513

>>36531513

You at either born with talent or not. Mochizuki had good genes and a good environment, so he was able to reach some of tops of guns achievement:m. Natural for him. Now for you and me, we are not so lucky. You do not become like Mochizuki, you are born like that.
>>
>>36533806
That's why he said a nerd who plays video games/ a nerd who is intelligent. He wasn't claiming that either of those things defined the nerd you double digit IQ brainlet.
>>
>>36532398
They don't teach you anything you can't learn yourself. Over expensive scam for a piece of paper that says you can kind of do some things.
In a better world degrees would be government controlled and be given to anyone who could pass a very hard competence test.
>>
>>36534391
College used to be a place that challenged you to be a free thinker
Today college is lefty indoctrination center.
It's compromised
A Muslim boy writes BLM 100 times on paper and get into Stanford.
That's right, an ivy league University
Clock boy didn't actually build a clock
He took a clock already made and put it in a case
Got into the White House
Several full paid scholarships
There's absolutely no freedom of speech on anything
There are mandatory classes teaching man not the rape
There is affirmative action.
College education in the west is fucked.
>>
>>36533762
>because math is the only field one can achieve in lmao

its the most autistic of fields at that
>>
>>36533762
he says, as he posts on a mlp fanclub meetupboard
>>
>>36531513
>invented his own realm of mathematics
what does that mean exactly?
>>
If you think you could ever in your life understand anything in that paper you're sadly mistaken.
>>
>>36532565
>robots like us
Fuck off
>>
>>36534772
I probably have no idea , but I assuming it's something that closely resembles inventing an entirely new programming language with crazy syntax that seems virtually impossible to understand unless you are the inventor yourself. Then again , I have not read the proof , and am not a very good mathemathician (literally just started college).
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.