[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think we have a natural right as humans to have the choice

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: deathDude.jpg (17KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
deathDude.jpg
17KB, 750x500px
Do you think we have a natural right as humans to have the choice to commit suicide? I think that since you didn't even have to option in the beginning to choose to be in a body (consciousness seems so random eh?) that you can choose to stop being in a body whenever you want by killing yourself. It shouldn't be illegal if you no longer want to participate.
>>
I think assisted suicide should be legal for any reason regardless of how trivial for anyone without dependents.
>>
>>36530654
your own life is the one thing that you should have absolute right over

even if that means ending it
>>
>>36530654
>You can find men who have gone so far as to profess wisdom and yet maintain that one should not offer violence to one's own life, and hold it accursed for a man to be the means of his own destruction; we should wait, say they, for the end decreed by nature. But one who says this does not see that he is shutting off the path to freedom. The best thing which eternal law ever ordained was that it allowed to us one entrance into life, but many exits
>The best thing which eternal law ever ordained was that it allowed to us one entrance into life, but many exits
>The best thing which eternal law ever ordained

Seneca the Younger, top dog philolosopher
>>
>natural right
Sadly, not consistently. But ideally, yeah, we'd all come preprogrammed with kill switches or I dunno a fucking nembutal bladder or some shit. Walking away, saying "I don't want to do this anymore", should ideally always be a right, because it preserves both the freedom of all things that exist and the stability of the systems that they exist in. But of course it isn't because we're in hell and reality is actually an insane sadomasochist as an aggregate entity so lol
>>
>>36530777
So the author is saying not to wait for the end decreed by nature, for that is shutting off the path to freedom?
>>
>>36530654
If you have to ask, well...
>>
>>36530962
yes.

this is just my interpretation, but

instead of laying around waiting for old age, we can go fight in combat for something we believe in, risk a rock climbing accident, get in a car crash, slip on a banana peel, or just shoot ourselves

there are many ways for us to die other than old age or natural causes, some of which are risks that we willfully take and others, not so much

basically the "many exits" is a result of human free will to take actions for our selves. almost everything we do has a risk of death

the variety of deaths we experience are visible evidence of freedom

there is beauty in that freedom, in the variety of deaths that we can choose consciously or unconsciously through our own actions and the actions of others

but hey what do i know
>>
File: 1491978897024.jpg (152KB, 1280x1381px)
1491978897024.jpg
152KB, 1280x1381px
>>36530962
Not for everyone, but for you in particular, yeah
>>
>>36530962
Seneca believed that the most important thing about life was living 'well'. He says repeatedly in his writings that it doesn't matter how long you live, only how well. If you were ever in a position where you were forced to live in shame for the rest of your days, no action to redeem yourself was possible, or you were otherwise incapable of living life virtuously, it is not only acceptable but the best course of action to 'free yourself' by committing suicide.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.