[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be dishwasher for about a year >like it, kind of zen and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1492624623163.png (194KB, 421x321px) Image search: [Google]
1492624623163.png
194KB, 421x321px
>be dishwasher for about a year
>like it, kind of zen and barely every need to talk to people besides the chefs who are chill
>offered a promotion to busser
>take it because money
>3rd training day in, can't get rid of the pit of anxiety in my stomach when talking to people, come to work feeling like shit because of it, hate walking out into the front, manager can tell
>training again tomorrow
>start doing lone non-training shifts next week

can someone help? i have no one to talk to about this.
>>
Honestly just remember that no one you have to talk to truly cares they are just a cog in the machine like you. Legitimately just do your job and it will become repetitive and easy.
>>
>>36459552
Just ask to go back to dishwasher. Or though it out, after I got a promotion I had to interact more with employees and be friendlier, it comes naturally after a while, you don't necessarily enjoy the small talk and interacting with people but you get used to it.
>>
>>36459883
Even if i wanted to go back i couldn't, they hired new dishwashers and trained them, I don't think they'd move me back.

I guess, but it seems really bad for me. I dropped a candleholder while resetting a table because my hands were shaking. I'm legitimately considering anti-anxiety medication
>>
isn't bussing just clearing dirty plates? anyway you'll get used to it
>>
>>36459552
Give it a fair shot. Once you're done with the training and doing it by yourself, stick with it for at least a week or two and see if your feelings about it have improved. If it isn't getting better then ask your manager to move you back to washing dishes.

I went through a kinda similar thing a while back. Worked a shitty job unloading freight in a warehouse, which wasn't particularly rewarding and didn't pay worth shit but was pretty peaceful. Got hired elsewhere for a job with better pay, but at first I totally hated it and felt stressed as fuck. Didn't know what I was doing, felt constantly overwhelmed, but after a month or so I got the hang of it and started to relax. Now I'm really, really glad I didn't give up, because the new job is better than my old one in pretty much every way imaginable.

I'm not saying this will be the outcome for you. It's entirely possible you'll hate bussing tables forever. But at least give it an honest try, and remind yourself that you can always go back to washing dishes if it doesn't work out. And if you do go back to washing dishes, you should feel proud of the fact that you at least tried something new!

Good luck anon.
>>
>>36460027
>>36459959
Oh, I didn't see this post when I made mine. Sorry.

You can still ask them if they'll move you back. They might be willing to shuffle things around to get you back to washing dishes. Maybe the new dish washing guy would be willing to take over bussing tables. Or worst case, you can probably find another restaurant looking for dishwashers.

Don't resign yourself to misery just because you feel like you don't have any other choice. There are always more options available to you than you realize. But like I said before, you should still give the bussing job a try before throwing in the towel.
>>
>>36459552
Busser is just grabbing dirty plates? You're not taking orders or some shit.

Way better than dishcucking in the back for sure.
>>
>>36459988
>>36460077
it's a fine dining place, so yes and no, you're expected to do a lot of guest service, be personable, and if the server is busy, most of the time they have you do their job.
>>36460070
thanks. i wish i could, like, trick myself into doing better, because I know it's all in my head, none of the things I'm doing are physically beyond me obviously. I wish I could put myself in a better headspace.

I wish I had friends here, too. The only friend I had was the other dishwasher, and he got promoted the same time I did, to a job that doesn't start until around when I clock out. The feeling of everyone knowing me but not really having my back or really caring if i flunk out of this makes me feel like I'm back in high school.
>>
>>36459552
let this be a lesson, never give up a gig that you're at peace with doing

at least you have dishwasher experience and can probably get hired somewhere else
>>
see if you can get a job as a line cook or something instead. because seriously, fuck the front of the house. fuck talking to customers. the extra money from tips or whatever isn't worth it unless you already have the personality of a car salesman. i'd rather keep scrubbing the fucking pots than have to deal with a bunch of hungry vultures all day.
>>
>>36460187
>The feeling of everyone knowing me but not really having my back or really caring if i flunk out
Boy, do I know that feel.

Whenever I'm feeling depressed and anxious over that I try to remind myself that it actually means I could theoretically just fuck off at any time and nobody would particularly care or be disappointed.

When you look at it from that angle it's actually kind a liberating and comfy. Having people who are pulling for you creates a sort of pressure to do well. If nobody is "on your team" then you're the only person who will be affected if you should fail for some reason.

I don't use that as an excuse to give up or stop trying or whatever. It just helps me relax, which in turn lets me do a better job.
>>
>>36459879
that is not true though, people dont go through their days with a sub conscious stuck in the future. everyone you interact with is in the there and now and they are thinking about you and they are judging you
>>
>>36460355
yeah, and then they forget about you five minutes later.

unless you go on some spergy rampage and start throwing dishes or pissing your pants or whatever, you're going to fade out of the memories of the people you encounter almost alarmingly fast.
>>
>>36460187
I dunno anon I'm so fucking nervous that I can't even leave my room to go apply for a job. But if I could do that and get hired (probably impossible considering my old age and lack of experience) I'd be fine with anything afterward.

I want to get paid to be personable because I'd finally get to learn how to talk to people and shit.

Just keep at it man
>>
>>36460231
I don't really agree with this. Sometimes taking risks pays off.

I'm not trying to give normie "fake it til u make it, jus be urrself xD" advice here, but I've left jobs where I was comfy in favor of jobs that paid better, and the end result is that I'm now in a job that is even comfier than those past jobs, and I'm making more money and working fewer hours on top of that.

The big thing is to not settle for misery simple because it earns you more money. If you try a new job and it makes your life suck, there's no shame in going back to the old job for a pay cut. And if you can't go back to the old job for whatever reason, force yourself to move on and find a different gig elsewhere.
>>
I don't understand anything at all that is currently happening at moment of spoken.
>>
>>36460409
Getting hired when you're old and inexperienced isn't as difficult as you think. You can try temp agencies, or find a place that is desperate for unskilled labor, like department stores shortly before the holidays start (October or thereabouts).

I know a guy who recently started working at a thrift shop despite the fact that he's in his mid thirties and dropped out of high school and has literally never worked a single job in his life. He's doing pretty well now.

The big thing is just trying, and accepting that you might get rejected a few times. Once you get over the hump of dropping off a few applications it gets easier, and once you land your first job your confidence will grow a whole lot.
>>
>>36460467
fuck off chad normanson
>>
>>36460527
nah m8, I'm spergy as fuck. my current job is an overnight gig where I'm completely alone, which is why I like it so much because I'm terrified of being around people.
>>
>>36460526
That's really good to hear. I'm 33 and I've never had a full time job before.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.