[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If every cell of your body gets replaced, what is the "you"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 360feel.gif (97KB, 498x594px) Image search: [Google]
360feel.gif
97KB, 498x594px
If every cell of your body gets replaced, what is the "you" that you have been since you were born?
>>
I don't think your brain cells are replaced during your life.

So basically your brain is you.
>>
>>36436057
Even if they were I imagine the neural pathways, if identical are "you"
>>
Your eyeballs
>>
every cell in your body has already been replaced retard
>>
>>36436040
Do you feel like the same person you were as a child? Of course not, that kid is dead and gone.
>>
File: 1329661105227.png (316KB, 638x770px) Image search: [Google]
1329661105227.png
316KB, 638x770px
>>36436085
exactIy, retard
>>
>>36436040
It's mainly copies of itself, so the data is the same even if the address of it may be different.
>>
>>36436040
Sleep is deaths cousin anon
>>
Take a hammer.
Replace the handle.
Now replace the head.
Is it the same hammer?
>>
>>36436111
Put the original parts together.
Which is the original hammer?
>>
>>36436040
You are a copy of a copy of a copy of what used to be you.
>>
Dear dear, someones discovering the monoist/dualist debate.
>>
>>36436057

This is true. Most neurons are not replaced and once they die are gone forever.

>>36436076

You are a particular perspective too. A clone of you would not be you because you would not experience the world from the clone's perspective.
>>
>>36436085
>>36436100

No they haven't you uneducated retards. Plenty of cells are one and done, especially in your brain where your identity and perception exists.
>>
>mfw /r9k/ gets hella philosophical and tackles the ancient "ship of Theseus" mystery that has plagued mankind's greatest thinkers for millennia.
>>
>>36436169
But a clone of me would think he's me because of unbroken memory chain and he would act the same if he we were put in exactly identical conditions so for all intents and purposes he would be me.
>>
>>36436298
The axe is s simpler analogy though. It's just a way to find out if you're a dualist or not.
>>
Like, your DNA.
>>
File: yami_yugi.jpg (15KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
yami_yugi.jpg
15KB, 300x224px
>>36436340
I know a simpler way to find out.
>>
>>36436307

No he wouldn't be you because you wouldn't experience the world through his perspective. He would just be an identically copy of you, but your paths would diverge from that point because it would not be possible to be put in exactly the same situations in the same way, which is beside the point in any case because there are plenty of good arguments against thsi idea given that so many mutations happen at the level of the individual cell during replication that he wouldn't be identical to you within a moment.

He is literally not you, but a copy of you. He lacks a fundamental aspect that makes you you, your perspective of experiencing the world. You would not experience it through him, because your perspective is tied to your body.
>>
>>36436374

fucking lol 10/10
>>
>>36436040
Your "presence". It is something you are known for regardless of who you are.
>>
>>36436380
Perspective is just a trick of memory though, you put too much stock into it. And if experience changes a person then the idea of the self is a lie too, the river is never the same twice.
>>
>>36436411

No perspective is literally unique to you. I'm not talking about perspective as if your take on things, I mean you will literally not experience the world as he does. If he goes off to China, and you stay in the US, you won't experience his experiences in China just because he's a clone of you. Experience obviously changes a person. The sense of self is that perception that recognizes itself as itself from day to day, from a particular reference point. Which a clone of you would differ from you on because they would not be seeing through your eyes, thinking through your brain, etc.

Why are you talking about rivers? Are you trying to be Chinese?
>>
>>36436449
Answer me this, is michael schumacher still himself after his brain damage? Or is he gone and there's just a vegetable. If you hit your head and lose your memories are you still yourself? Would you act like you do now? I say no, and taking this idea to it's logical conclusion means you are never the same person from one momemt to the next. The river is a buddhist analogy.

If you cloned me and killed me after without the clone knowing then the clone would think he is me since he'd have an umbroken chain of memories and he would remember being himself when he didn't even exist because he has my memories.
>>
You is a being that is conscious of its own existence, make sense? Try thinking without language, words are not things, they are mental tools we use to express ideas of things.
>>
File: 5485265658584.jpg (30KB, 458x436px) Image search: [Google]
5485265658584.jpg
30KB, 458x436px
>>36436040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkFEMUDwwU
The one that dies and wish his people had more damaged braincells replaced.
>>
>>36436040
>t joe rogan

my comment is original you retarded fucking filter piece of trash
>>
>>36436040
Love how you posted something this unoriginal on /r9k/.
>>
>>36436040

Identity and consciousness continuity are illusions, there's your answer. Remember Occam's razor senpai.

I suspect consciousness is snuffed out every time you fall sleep, as well as every time you blink, and every second that passes by really. The stream of life we experience is an illusion that will probably seem obvious in hindsight as we learn more about the brain.
>>
>>36436057
Your brain can be damaged and repaired by stem cells though, how far of an extent we don't know but were working on it. Assuming we get to the point where a brain can be fully repaired and replaced and assuming things like memories and habits stay, what would it be then?
>>
>>36436040
There is no (You). Ego is an illusion and you are nothing but a computer made from meat. Why can't people seem to accept that?
>>
They're the same makeup and information, but i see wjere youre coming from

Just as one will mentally change and evolve to become a different person, one's body shall also change. It is a fact of life.
>>
>>36436919
People are slaves to language and language creates an allusion of depth.
>>
>>36436943
I agree wholeheartedly. I wrote about this somewhere else just earlier this morning.

Man is a storytelling animal. We are the kid on the trail who points particularly decrepit hunched over tree and go "Oh no mum, the monster's gonna get me". Language follows a subject object syntax due to this innate nature of human cognition, something must act and something must be acted upon. Our whole world view is actually a state of mass psychosis if you think about it. Cultural symbolism isn't just a nifty tool. Combined with our ability to create abstractions they are the bread and butter to our psychosis. We give inanimate objects and deep abstractions human characteristics and as soon as that is done our imagination runs amock with it and creates the wildest tales.

We are perma tripping if you will.
>>
>>36436040
>how can sea be the same if the water moves

Jesus fucking Christ
>>
>>36436040
The "you" is your Ghost, as explained in Ghost in the Shell
>>
>>36436919
>le epic nihilism meme
Pic very related
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr-3zUjZgl0

origoriroriririrow
>>
The happy me is long gone, OP
>>
File: 1478206416704.jpg (35KB, 399x386px) Image search: [Google]
1478206416704.jpg
35KB, 399x386px
your memories get replaced with memories of memories
>>
>>36437554
How is that guy wrong? We are literally reckoning meatbags. You seem to have a hard time accepting it.
>>
>>36436040
Your skeleton
>>
>>36438909
trivialize it all you want you can't argue we aren't real. Even if it is just our memories and thoughts that make us it's something. Not even a real nihilist just some kid who wants to say something edgy and profound to get a rise out of people and feed your ego. Fucking meatbag cuck
>>
I KNOW I'M ME ORIGINAL ME, JUWT GOT BIGGER FAMALAM HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHA ALL YOU FAGGOTS ARE COPYS HAHAH
>>
>>36436040
You are the intangible consciousness that inhabits the body. The physical body is only rented, so to speak. When you die, every atom of the body you borrowed must be returned to the earth to be recycled.
>>
>>36438996
Our brains are the only thing we can rely on to know if reality is actually what we think it is. Is it even real?

Is our brain just trolling us?

What dimension are we really in? Can i enter the sixth dimension?

What the fuck is reality? Our eyes and brain and senses could be wrong son

REEEEEEEE
>>
>>36436040
>if every atom of water in a wave gets replaced, what is the wave?
>>
>>36438996
>it is just our memories and thoughts that make us
whatever, keep fapping to traps and trying to convince yourself that you're not gay
>>
>>36436919

a computer is a computer because it serves as a tool for a greater being

what greater purpose does humanity have?
>>
File: 1492695944639s.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492695944639s.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>>36436040
PSUEDO-INTELLIGENT BABBLE TALK
SHUT UP NORMIES
>>
File: 1492541654167.png (118KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1492541654167.png
118KB, 657x527px
Dehydration kills brain cells guys.
Drink water so you don't end up a retard like me
>>
>>36439409
>that recent filename
>s
FUCK OFF
>>
>>36437554
Didn't actually give an argument. Shush.
>>36438996
>Memories and thoughts that make us something.

You seem confused. What I am saying is not that we are nothing. What I am saying is that whatever you are can not be said to be anything more than fleeting thoughts passing moment to moment. All that can be said for our existence is: There is thought. Being something is not the same as being a person or even a sapient animal for that matter. So you read some critiques on nihilism and now you see nihilism everywhere. Sod off, kid.
>>36439372
A computer is a programmable structure that processes data within certain given parameters. These parameters are not known when it comes to the human brain but that does not make it any less of a computer. I want you to take a reductionist approach to human sense experience. What you need to understand is this: It's all energy, in this universe there is only energy. Your senses simply pick up some of these energetic signals and sends them to your brain where it's assembled into a seemingly coherent sense experience. Don't be fooled though there is nothing objectively real about your experience. The human brain/mind evolved in a certain way as to best ensure the survival of the individual; not understand the fabric of our cosmos.
>>
the real you is your consience and your memories. Your personality, looks and knowledge.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.