[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do anti depressants do/ how do they make you feel? i'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: 1491939011447.jpg (45KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1491939011447.jpg
45KB, 640x640px
what do anti depressants do/ how do they make you feel? i'm pretty sure i need them but I wanna be sure if they're working or not.

>inb4 "dey make u feel not depressed hurr"
>>
They don't help with depression, they just make you numb. So then you don't do anything about your problems. Meanwhile, you end up with a bunch of side effects and they can be very difficult to quit.
>>
>>36424120
was put on ssri recently but I'm bipolar and now I'm manic like fuck
>>
>>36424158
ssris dont make you numb
>>
>>36424246
They do, they make you numb in body and mind. You will never get an orgasm again, you will never have a libido again, you will walk with no thought in your head and no emotion. You will drift by. This is the optimal effect of SSRI treatment, this is what it does at its best. The question is, is this better than depression? For some, yes.
>>
>>36424120
They make your penis die, best way to put it you know have a shemest that will stay limp and if you by chance pop a chubby you wont be able to cum
>>
>>36424323
so it doesn't neccessarily make you happy, it just makes you not think enough so you don't kill yourself?
>>
>>36424323
This. I was on SSRIs for several years. No libido, fapping did nothing for me. Except I wasn't totally numb, I still could very much feel emotion and still felt depressed and anxious a lot just like I do today. When I was on those drugs though, I had horrific night terrors just about every night. Getting off them was hell too, you get the brain zaps and it's really shitty and makes you tired a lot. Never again for me. That shit's poison.
>>
>>36424323
>>>36424120 (OP)
>>36424358
you don't know what SSRIs are do you
>>
>>36424120
The way they make you feel isn't pleasant. You don't get high off of them, if that's what you were getting at. More often than not, they make you feel disconnected or a bit spacey. You have to take them for several weeks in order for your body to get used to them, at which point you build up a tolerance to all those uncomfortable side effects and you don't feel them so much. That's when the antidepressants start "working". You don't really "feel" much at that point. You just notice that your mood is different. Then they ramp up the dosage until you say you're not depressed any more.

I don't recommend them as they change you too much and actually sometimes make things worse than they were to begin with.
>>
>>36424414
SSRI's are literally supposed to do the opposite of numb you. I also get night terrors and mouth dryness, but that's about the extent of my side effects. No problems with my dick or libido.
>>
just eat better and exercise :^)
>>
>>36424120
have to say it really doesn't sound like there is much advantage at all seeing this thread. Nightmares, limp dick, weak orgasm, numb emotions. I don't know what i expected.
>>
>>36424120
They didn't do anything for me.
>>
>>36424450
>>36424420
>>36424246
Fuck off, just because you had paradoxical effects with 1 antidepressant.
>>
>>36424612
They're fucking retarded. Most people get no side effects at all, and if they do, they're usually small.

The people who claim that SSRIs numb your emotions are fucking retarded and haven't even read through what the shit they eat does.
>>
>>36424649
Fuck off, just because you've never even tried antidepressants.
>>
>>36424663
I took one and can absolutely say it does make you numb.
>>
>>36424701
You have to be baiting me at this point
>>
>>36424620
Switch medications until it starts doing something. But, that takes a while, doesn't it.
>>36424612
For some, such a state is much better than constant suicidal ideation, self-harm, ritualitistic thoughts, anxiety, panic, delusions, spending every moment of your life in constant agony and despair. Silencing it all and becoming numb and moving forward with your life plans and learning improvement and self-care while medicated when you're in this state, is the intention. You get off the meds, your life is fine at this point, and you know how to deal with problems.
>>
>>36424682
I've been on 5 different antidepressants, 2 antipsychotics, 3 pain meds, and 2 anti-anxiety meds.
>>36424663
Most people don't get side effects? How fucking stupid are you? There's hundreds of antidepressants with all harboring unique side effects that effect each person's body in different ways. Some have to go to the ER after taking the meds, some don't feel a thing.
The line is between death and no effect at all.
>>
>>36424120
Different drugs affect different people differently. Sounds stupid but its true. Everyone in this thread has a different experience and as for my personal one, they worked greatly and helped me a GREAT amount, difference before and after them is night and day when it comes to how i feel.
>>
Everybody is fucking retarded inthis thread. They help you. Ask your doc, he will tell u everything u want to know about them. Yeah, for somepeople they dont work, but if u find the right one u will feel better

Dont hesirate b ro get help
>>
>>36425025
How would I go about doing that? What doc? What do I say?
>>
>>36425040
Ask your main/family/primary care doc if you can be referred to a psychiatrist for depression.
>>
>>36424120
A few muscle spasms followed by nothing at all. They don't do anything, just relax the muscles, which sometimes will stop them from pressing on vital nerves that make you a bit more anxious heart related.

But that's it.
>>
I've struggled with panic disorder/depression since I was 13. I'm 22 now and I started taking anti-depressants a few months ago. The first month it made things worse, I felt more suicidal and couldn't sleep well, but once they really kicked in the difference was amazing. It takes the edge off your depression. Instead of waking up and feeling 3/10, you feel 5/10 and everything is easier. It's no miracle cure, you still have bad days, but they've really helped me and there's no side effects for me either.

I don't reach the depth of negative feeling I used to and I feel overall better for it.
>>
Has anyone in this thread tried anything for anxiety? Benzos?
>>
>>36425490
Before id get this feeling of anxiousness like the one you have before a big test or something, randomly during the day, and it would last for a very long time. Like id sit at my home doing what would normally be enjoyable and id still feel that. I used ksalol and honestly the feeling went way so fast that im not sure if its because of ksalol or other meds that ive been taking that have improved my feelings aswell. But it did get better quickly after starting to take it.
>>
>>36425490
I have. Benzos don't fucking work at all.
>>
>>36425602
>ksalol
Is that the Balkan version of Xanax?
Isn't it horribly addictive?
Do you feel worried about the fact that it's literally destroying your brain?
>>
File: 1478669556349.jpg (91KB, 736x651px) Image search: [Google]
1478669556349.jpg
91KB, 736x651px
>>36424120
Fuck SSRI's, Amphetamines are the true robot tier drug!

+ Productivity and motivation massively increased
+ Euphoria and lessened social anxiety
+ Cognitive enhancement
+ Feel high but can still acutely function
+ Hitler approves

- Comedown at high does
- Quick to build tolerance

All and all, why aren't you on adderall yet /r9k/? Its commonly available as a generic, so your autismbucks should cover it.
>>
>>36425652
It is balkan medicine thats correct, not sure about the whole xanax thing, dont really know specific information about either of them so.
Dont know about horribly addictive, took it 5 times or so and just stopped whenever. I know what addiction feels like and ive never been addicted to any substance that you take into your organism.
Hows it destroying my brain?
>>
>>36424120
They are overprescribed. They make you numb and lethargic, and slow.

If you're actually a suicide risk (not just wanting to crawl into a ball and die) they keep you alive.

If you had a major bereavement they help numb the grief until time takes over.

If you're meme depressed or just stressed they can be worse.

There are some people who are so unhappy that without them all they want to do is die, but you must be honest with yourself OP. Just because docs hand them out like candy doesn't mean they are actually helpful, but especially if you're in a country with social healthcare they are an easy way to cover your ass against random suicidal patients and much cheaper than CBT/psychological intervention. Literally a few bongs per month compared to thousands per session. They won't give you motivation or a meaningful existence but they will stop you complaining about lacking them.

T. Anon who has actual non meme depression. I don't like to talk about it like it's a dick measuring competition because it isn't, but I have been in and out of psych hospital and through a lot of antidepressants. I have met people much worse than me who will never get off a ward. And there are people who don't fake illness per se, but they do lack insight and because it's a subjective experience they misreport or mis diagnose themselves. It's always clear they don't belong, they leave quickly, don't come back.

I also work in the British NHS, and have seen both sides of the pt/gp relationship regarding depression.
>>
File: 1492635750744.jpg (47KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
1492635750744.jpg
47KB, 780x780px
I'm really anxious to go to a doctor.
I don't understand how everybody has no problem talking to a doctor about your darkest secrets when most of us are too autistic to talk to strangers
>>
>>36425801
You dont tell your doctor your darkest secrets. You just tell them you feel bad, basically. They ask you why you give a few examples, they ask you if you feel suicidal you answer and depending on that they decide the next step.
>>
>>36425750
Benzos cause permanent brain damage and withdrawal can take years to get over. Pamet u glavu. How hard is it to get a prescription over there?
People in the future will probably have anxiety meds without any horrible side effects. Why did I have to be born in the caveman era of psych meds?
>>
>>36425839
Withdrawal was non existent for me, i simply quit all of my meds at once and that was the end of the story pretty much. And i dont know honestly, ive been doing so many things that damage your brain yet i seem to be doing fine, unless they make you lazy, then i can notice that.
Not sure, dont know anything about the medical system, i went to the psych ward and getting meds there is kinda what you do.
>>
>>36425801
They've heard everything already and they probably have done/thought of worse things themselves. Trust me on this one.
>>
>>36424120
In my experience they make you feel normal, as in your not going to fucking lose it and have a panic attack or start crying too often or anything. However, there was just a bit of not being able to feel feelings as intensely for me. The main reason I want to get off of them is that it takes too much time and effort to cum.
>>
File: Cc8jl8JWoAA7rb7.jpg (85KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
Cc8jl8JWoAA7rb7.jpg
85KB, 600x911px
I feel pretty much the same, but they make me function better. I have never felt different from antiDs, except the few times it felt worse. (I've been on around a dozen).

Currently on Tranylcypromine (switched from Phenelzine, no real reason except might be more activating) and guanfacine. I'd rather have the guanfacine increased, but as-is, I'm ok. Tranylcypromine is an MAOI and does fuck me up if I drink too much red wine/brandy (rage, heart racing but not terribly).

I still drink pretty often and sleep like 5-7 hours a night on average, and that includes the naps when I get home.

About to graduate with my BS and finish a machine which would likely save hundreds of thousands of lives a year and reduce the risk for tens of millions more, just in the US.

Pic related
>>
>>36424967
This is the only legit reply in the whole thread

I had to take them when i was in my early teens and they worked great(along with therapy of course), little side effects and never made me numb.
A couple of years ago i got very depressed again and had to start taking antidepressant again, made numb as fuck and didn't help at all.
Started taking a diff one, works great, even less side effects than when i was in my teens.
>>
>>36425943
I will add though, don't expect ssri's to be a "solution". They don't make you actively feel good, it's not like you're more relaxed or feel some kind of good feeling, they just mitigate your worst of the worst shit.
>>
>>36425896
Are you the Croatian guy with a SomethingAwful thread where you talk about trying random drugs and passing out everywhere?
>>
>>36425984
Exactly, they fuck with the brain chemistry, and brain chemistry is alot different from person to person, also even in the same person throughout the years.
>>36426027
Nah, i am Serbian and i prefer staying awake when im taking drugs, no time to waste when im under the influence
>>
File: 1458264367783.jpg (41KB, 640x616px) Image search: [Google]
1458264367783.jpg
41KB, 640x616px
Depression is caused by one of two things: unhappiness, or chemical imbalances. For most people it's a combination of the two.

Anti-depressants (at least, SSRIs) prevent your body from metabolizing serotonin... which is great. Your body has more serotonin in the blood, and that will elevate your mood.

If you are depressed because of a chemical imbalance, then you should have no problems with SSRIs. But if you are depressed because of "genuine" reasons, then eventually you will build a tolerance to SSRIs.

Your body needs to maintain an optimal level of serotonin. After-all, it's a neurotransmitter. It's required for you to live. But too much serotonin and you can get nasty side-effects. So if you take SSRIs despite already having optimal levels of serotonin, then after a few weeks your body will simply produce less serotonin to compensate for the serotonin that it can no longer metabolise.

That is why some people don't benefit from SSRIs, and some people do. All depends on why you're depressed.

Other types of anti-depressants work in similar ways, and have similar problems. But I only know about SSRIs for certain.
>>
I've was on Zoloft for a couple of years. It made me really tired, emotionally numb, and I had trouble orgasming. And it still didn't help my depression. I stopped taking it about three years ago.

I recently started grad school and started taking Effexor. It has helped my mood a ton. I'm much less depressed and more social (I even started approaching women). The only side effect is I sweat a lot more but that has been going away. I've also been seeing the therapists at my school about twice a month. Definitely do therapy if you can.

Bottom line: it really depends on you. Therapy is probably more helpful in the long run.
>>
>>36424120
The guys in psych ward called people on them zombies. Cause that's how it feels.
Plus it breaks your dick. If you manage to get and keep semi long enough to cum you will hardly feel anything at all and it will just dribble out.

Have fun

Also you won't feel so bad. Neutral. That's cause you won't feel barely anything at all. Or at least that was my experience in 5 months of taking them. Oh and stopping them sucks ass. Brain zaps mood swings etc.
>>
>>36426337
OH and I completely forgot to mention the weight gain and nightmares. The 3 weeks I took to cold turkey quit them were nearly the best weeks in my life.

It felt like becoming human AGAIN, I could feel the anima in me, the testosterone pumping in my veins.

Sadly I slipped back to depressed or more like apathetic faggot, but it was worth it.

It honestly felt like chemical castration. The things and pent up energy, the drive (even if you don't utilize it)that makes you a man is stripped completely
>>
>>36426289
This is a great response.
Most people are depressed because of some stuff in their lives and they just fuck themselves up with drugs, medication is drugs, and they end up with more problems than before them, because now on top of their situation, their brains fucked too.
>>36426337
Honestly i do not have any problems getting an erection, maintaining it and ejaculating.
I had no mood swings when quitting them and i quit every medication i have been taking at once.
>>
>>36426324

To expand; by much less depressed I mean a few things. I'm procrastinating a lot less, recurring thoughts of meaninglessness and suicide occur less (but they still happen), and I find talking to people (even strangers) much easier and more natural.

I've also been doing a group therapy thing where we talk about our issues. It's been very helpful getting me to open up and realize that people aren't out there to hurt me. I don't know if that's something available to you but if it is and you're interested then I would recommend giving it a try.

A lot of people on here tend to believe that other people generally have negative opinions of them. This group really helped my challenge that idea. YMMV
>>
Please speak to a psychiatrist, OP. A lot of the people in this thread are deluded bc of anecdotes they read or their personal experience and think thats the only way antidepressants affect people.
>>
>>36426635
>drugs affect people differently
Holy shit what a surprise
>>
>>36426672
I find there is no need for you to be sarcastic when its obvious that out of 27 posters maybe 5 realise this when they approach the topic. They state their personal experience like as if everyone will have it. Which is foolish to think so.
>>
>>36424120
They made me more suicidal, more depressed, and sick every single day for 10 years straight.
I had no emotion other than "please let me die now".
A week after I quit cold turkey I went back to normal and now I'm not sick, not suffering with depression or anxiety nowhere near as bad 6 months later.
They CAN cause more problems than they solve.
I went through every single available one, now I choose none.
>>
>>36426635
>because now on top of their situation, their brains fucked too.
To be fair, I don't think SSRIs can cause any permanent damage. At least, they shouldn't be able to do so.

The only "active" part of SSRIs is that they simply prevent your body from absorbing serotonin from the blood as easily. When you stop taking them, your body should start absorbing serotonin again. Even if your body didn't start absorbing serotonin again, your body should naturally produce more to compensate for it, anyway.
>>
>>36426828
Is that because of how mild they are compared to something like heroin? Because from what ive heard after taking heroin a few times your brains so fucked that it doesnt produce serotonin and lacks dopamine in such great levels, does the body fix that over time too or is there a limit, do you know?
>>
>>36426724
In The very post you quoted I literally said
>or at least that was my experience

So you acting all high and mighty offended me.
>>
>>36427008
And in my post i simply stated my experience, why can you state yours and i cannot state mine.
>>
>>36424120
Dont fall for the (((antidepressants))) meme please.
Once you take one, it will ruin your life. And then you'll be prescribed more and more every so often until you aren't able to function properly unless you keep buying more drugs. I've been on antidepressants for a year now and they've only made me more depressed and borderline suicidal. DON'T do it anon. A Xanax every so often works better. Just don't overdo it.
>>
>>36427049
Because the way you said it while quoting my post made it seem like you are discrediting my experience
>lol brah that's horseshit muh dick worked just fine nahmean?

For whatever reason I'm starting to doubt you own a dick.
>>
>>36427113
Your lack of reading comprehension is somehow my problem now. Really puts those neurons to work.
Either way im not going to argue this since its not the point of the thread and the argument is senseless.
>>
>>36426904
I'm not an expert, but I would guess that heroin is different because it is so potent, that what would be a temporary effect has permanent repercussions.

A good analogy may be that grazing your elbow doesn't cause a scar, but cutting a chunk out does cause a scar. Both are temporary ailments, but one will leave permanent changes.

Honestly I don't know. I'm not a pharmacist, or doctor, or scientist. I know how SSRIs work and that's it. I'm just speculating, here.
>>
File: 1487128215417.jpg (47KB, 1024x270px) Image search: [Google]
1487128215417.jpg
47KB, 1024x270px
>>36427161
Kden but oregAno with Mario
>>
>>36427245
Hm interesting, well thank you for your input either way.
From what i found really quickly it seems that ssris work on serotonin and heroin works on dopamine that might cause the difference
>>
>>36424753
>Switch medications until it starts doing something
>Just keep taking pills until you get the result you want
>>
I'm on them, mostly just helps anxiety. I'm still able to feel joy and my dick works normally.
>>
is everyone on SSRI? has anyone tried the alternatives like MAOI and NaSSA? never hear people get prescribed those but my doc did for me.
>>
>>36424120
Antidepressants have been proven again and again to be just as effective as sugar pills.

They are literally placebo. They work because you think they work.
>>
>>36428849
that's a very informative and scientific statement. thanks for your input and sources.
>>
>>36425724
>commonly available
if youre bipolar you have no chance in hell of getting adderall
>>
>>36428914
Oh Christ you're on the internet right now. Just look into it. Look it up. Look up some opposing studies and evidence. Then evaluate the results for yourself.
Don't expect me to spoonfeed you, and don't listen to everything someone says to you on a Disney costume aficionado forum. Look it up for yourself.

And to think I almost came back with a list of sources. Fuck this.
>>
File: (you).jpg (44KB, 628x628px) Image search: [Google]
(you).jpg
44KB, 628x628px
>>36429019
>makes claim
>no sources
>"lol i'm not gonna spoonfeed u!!!!"
>>
>>36429160
>fetch me sources, puppy
All this time spent bitching could've been spent researching
>>
>>36429300
reading something on 4chan and regurgitating it in another thread doesn't count as a source, anon
>>
>>36429361
Fucking christ, fine. Hold on.
>>
>>36429361
>>36429418
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4592645/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20080227/antidepressants-no-better-than-placebo#1 (probably an unreliable source but whatever, I'm tired and lazy)
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/852139
>>
weed works better
>>
File: 4chan is full of faggots.jpg (50KB, 634x443px) Image search: [Google]
4chan is full of faggots.jpg
50KB, 634x443px
>>36425839
Benzos do not "destroy" your brain. It all depends on dosage and length of time that you're on them, as to how they affect cognition and memory. I've seen people who were dependent on Xanax for decades finally detox and they returned to a normal state after awhile. It also depends on the person. But saying that all benzodiazapines do the same thing to a person's brain (damage it) is inaccurate.
>>
File: 55527150_p5_master1200.jpg (308KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
55527150_p5_master1200.jpg
308KB, 1200x675px
>>36424120
i'm on a pretty heavy ssri for anxiety that has a lot of dopamine, and the extent of my effects is best worded by this anon >>36424323

it's hard to tell if its better than how i was beforehand. I was suicidal constantly before, but i had connection to my emotions when now its like my mind is trying to reach through a fog to connect with any thoughts or feelings. I don't know if its better, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Half the time I can't even feel emotion for my boyfriend.
>>
>>36424323
>you will never have a libido again, you will walk with no thought in your head and no emotion. You will drift by
I've never taken the shit before and this describes me, I'm fucked.
>>
I'm on Prozac now and it's helped tremendously. My anxiety is still present and my dick doesn't work, but I don't feel like crying, killing myself or generally like shit daily anymore. I'm surprised by how few ITT have met with anything positive out of them. I know this isn't placebo because it took a while to start working and I didn't expect it to work.

I am not happy and I do not think I will ever be, and I wouldn't call myself number or devoid of emotion, but the depression itself is greatly alleviated. Life was unbearable before, now it's tolerable.

It should also be worth noting I was on two other antidepressants before which didn't do much, and I am not meme depressed in that I am sad over a girl or external factors.
>>
>>36425490
yep. I pop a klonopin whenever something big comes up.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.