[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>try to read a book so i can stop being /dumb/ >30 minutes

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 1484785724495.png (127KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1484785724495.png
127KB, 601x508px
>try to read a book so i can stop being /dumb/
>30 minutes of constantly having to reread shit because i either wasn't focusing or didn't quite get it later
>only read 4 pages
theres just no hope for me is there
>>
>>36387516
just be yourseIf my man
>>
>>36387516
it's easy mate, just bee yourself
>>
>>36387516
Practice makes perfect OP. Just keep at it & you'll grasp it eventually.
>>
>>36387516
What book? Some books genuinely can be difficult to read, particularly with lack of practice. Maybe read something easier to get you practicing?
>>
>>36387641
its frankenstein

im on page 5 now
>>
I started reading philosophy books this year and it's been some tough work for me. I took over 11 thousands words of notes (I saw the word count in my document) for just the first 75 pages of the book. That took me several weeks to get through but after those first 75 pages I've been able to fly through the rest of the book quite easily.

I think the lesson to learn from that OP is that you will improve if you put in the work. You should google words you don't understand or places you are unfamiliar with so you can get a better sense of what's being said and to commit those words to memory so you don't have to look them up the next time you come across them. I always read with a search engine on so I could do that.
>>
Try different sitting positions
>>
>>36387516
this is me

literally HOW do people enjoy reading?
>>
>>36387673
Yeah it's a bit old so people can struggle with it. Go for more modern like 1950s+ era books.
>>
>Read something difficult; Just want to read an easy book
>Read an easy book; Just want to read a hard book
>>
>>36389412
Hemingway is from the 20s/30s and reads well. If you can get past his excessive use of "and".
>>
>>36389396
Reading can be fun, try different genres see what goes for you. Personally I like fantasy and action/thrillers. It's great way to spend time and still have fun. Also way more relaxing than vidya.
>>
>only read something youre interested in
>try audiobooks instead
>>
>>36389476
>Personally I like fantasy and action/thrillers
Any recommendations?
>>
>>36389396
reading keeps your brain active and is basically the best way your mind gets information. retard, everything on this website you read.
>>
>start reading a book
>get lost in a train of random thoughts
>unknowingly skip some parts of book
>continues reading and has no clue what's going on
>have to repeat
>repeat from 2 to here
>>
>>36389511
reading posts on this website is not the same as recreational reading
>>
>>36387516
Have you tried audiobooks Anon?
>>
>>36387673
Read I Am Legend

im a book brainlet but it managed to grip me cause the main character rambled a lot about fucking the female vampires. nothing like the meme movie at all.
>>
>>36389549
Any place to get audio books for free?
>>
>start reading a book
>realise that i still got tinnitus in my ears
>can't focus
>stop reading
>>
>>36389561
>https://archive.org/details/texts
>>
>>36389498
Game of thrones or Lord of the rings.
>>
File: spritzlet_screenshot.jpg (20KB, 400x277px) Image search: [Google]
spritzlet_screenshot.jpg
20KB, 400x277px
>>36387516
download an add-on called spritzlet. It flashes the words on a page in front of you. It helped me with focus.
>>
>>36387516
Your brain has atrophied. The reason it takes so long is because you never do it.
/fit/ is the same way. The first two weeks of exercising are hell. It goes without saying the same applies to heavy reading.

You haven't even touched research articles. Whatever you're reading can't be that bad.
>>
>>36387516

>Be /dumb/
>Try to better myself
>Do something once
>Expect to be good at it
>Suck at it
>Be /dumb/

You see the problem here right?
>>
>>36387516
Honestly, the first two books I read outside of school were an extreme slog. Like mind numbing.

At the end of the second though I began to realize if you're engrossed with the story you can read faster and focus on what's going on. As has been said in this thread before practice makes perfect.

Two things if you want to get accustomed to reading, first make sure that you've had enough to eat. Low blood sugar will make it difficult to concentrate in this new way you're trying to. Second learn to just not fidget.

I used to take an hour to read 10 pages, then an hour to read 20 now I take an hour to read 40 pages of non-fiction and sometimes I can do 50+ for fiction. I'm comfortable with this speed so I don't try to read any faster. If you want to increase your written comprehension have a dictionary at hand and read something literary. Reading middle to late Henry James I think is the best way to get you accustomed to building your reading muscles, it's genuinely like running a complex decoder on 12MB of RAM. The system will keep crashing but you have to continue to push it, unlike a computer we can expand our RAM just by flexing.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.