[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright I'm back from my interview. I interviewed a top

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1492485296548.jpg (54KB, 530x800px) Image search: [Google]
1492485296548.jpg
54KB, 530x800px
Alright I'm back from my interview. I interviewed a top level researcher on why there's such a disparity between male and female suicide rates (it's about 4 to 1 averaged worldwide). Can't stay too long either since it's late over here, but I'll give the run down.

So in short, the answer we all don't want to hear, is that they don't know. Any time I tried to steer them to a single factor and get them to comment on it, they would pull back and just respond with "I don't know," or "There's not enough data yet."

>There's been an uptick in the ratio in the last three decades. Any probably causes you can attribute to this?

"No. Things fluctuate."

>What about recent developments in gender roles, and the cultural upheaval about the value men and women have?

"There's certainly been a lot of changes, but at this point it's all conjecture."

>So you don't think there's a single, or biggest, factor to attribute to the gender disparity?

"I don't think so. Suicide has a lot of reasons, and we need to see it as a public health issue instead of a deliberate act you 'commit', as if one has committed a crime."

>What about the ways in which genders commit suicide? Women more often OD, and some suggest that may be due to gender specific pressures in society, such as women needing to look "pretty," and so they want to leave behind a body that isn't disfigured from, say, a gun wound.

"We just don't know. Some researchers have suggested things like that, but it's really just conjecture, and I think trying to find reasons like that is obfuscating the issue."

>Has this disparity in rates always been the case? If so, that'd suggest there's either something biological, or at least a very long standing social pressure.

"As far as the records go in the US, into the early 1800s, it has always been this way. Again, we just don't know if the disparity is caused by men just being different biologically, being predisposed in some way to this, or if it's cultural."

1/2
>>
>>36384589

2/2

We went back and forth for 40 minutes, and it was like this. It was frustrating. I understand, since they have to be very careful to not say too much unfounded ideas, since they'll get defunded or fired. That's why their default was "I don't know." But what we can glean from this is that this disparity has likely been around for at least the last two to three hundred years. China is the only place in which the ratio is reversed. I think next I'll look at what Chinese researchers have found regarding their own disparity. It should say a lot. The best I could grab from the interview was that lack of access to help -- medical, social, familial, etc -- was a strong predictor in attempting and completing suicide. Also, men report suicidal feelings less, so there's a suggestion that men are pressured to not talk about their feelings, and when they do, there is less help for them. Friends and family tell you to buck up or be a man, and society expects you to get a job and quit whining, for example.

So in the end, researchers have no fucking clue but tacitly, carefully suggest that it may have something to do with the fact that help for men just isn't around nearly as much as it is for women.
>>
interesting OP. what was the impetus for your interview?
>>
>>36384600

How do researchers like that get so far professionally without committing to anything or offering some kind of authoritative analysis?

I went to a major university and studied political science. The focus was on preparing students for grad school. Professors were always going on and on about how you need to answer a question, to come to some sort of conclusion, to discover areas for future study.

Guess you should have asked him about strong correlations. Correlation=/=Causation, but it's often a good place to start digging deeper.
>>
>>36385162
>>36385103

I'm a freelance journalist and this is for an outlet of mine.

Yeah it reslly depends on the field but also the context. This researcher is in the suicide field, so they have to be EXTREMELY careful or else a death may be on their hands because they misspoke. So it's understandable that they were touchy. At the same time, they should've said more. I think there's probably just not a ton of research on the disparity. Also, the answer to this question is tied up in the reasons for suicide itself, and then the hot topic today of what, if anything, makes men and women different. So eh I'll report back once I interview more people.
>>
>>36384589
Do you think the feminism pushing NWO has a part to play in this? What is their long term agenda? I know their top leaders are male themselves.
>>
>>36385868

NWO meaning new world order?

I personally think feminism is causing a ton of problems, and that's why we see the uptick. As the researcher said, access to help is a problem, and it's widely known that stress is a huge factor. So yeah if feminism is pushing men out of the social system and then telling them their problems aren't real, it's a kinda creepy kafka-esque situation. You're oppressed into a dangerous state of living but everyone believes you're actually a king in a castle so why are you whining.

I definitely think feminism is partly to blame, but I'm sure no researcher has the balls to say it.
>>
>>36384589
Men use harsher more surefire ways of suicide.
We have a higher success rate.
We're just better at it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.