[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good and evil are nothing more than two opposing viewpoints at

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1487773882266.jpg (90KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1487773882266.jpg
90KB, 480x640px
Good and evil are nothing more than two opposing viewpoints at opposite end of a spectrum. Right and wrong are arbitrary human definitions. Art transcends human definitions of right and wrong. Therefore it is impossible to objectively determine the quality of any piece of art.

If I find something particularly moving, how am I supposed to share it with someone knowing they have been shaped differently to me and their reaction to something I enjoy will be completely different? Music, Movies and Games make me feel incredible things. I want other people to feel the same incredible things I'm feeling. However their reaction may be completely opposite to mine to any given piece of media.

I need to ask "what makes you feel X?" instead of "did this make you feel X?"

I have incredible difficulty articulating what "X" is. A feeling is a moment. Describing that feeling to another person can take hours and the impact is lost entirely. I just want to connect with people. Media allows me to do that indirectly. But media is just a catalyst, an environment in which a reaction takes place to create a feeling. You can't share one half of the equation with someone and expect the same resultant reaction.

So how do I share the final result? My closest friends share the personal half of the equation with me. When I show them the external, catalytic stimuli they react in the same way I do. They share my base and react similarly to introduced media acid. When I show a stranger some media I enjoy, in all likelihood they will react completely differently than I did an even potentially completely opposite. The goal of sharing the media is to share the feeling the media creates but when the media creates an entirely different feeling in another person the goal is not realised.

Really, I want to share myself rather than the media. I want to share the base, so when the acid is introduced they react the same way and feel the same incredible things. How do I share myself?
>>
clearly you need to smoke more DMT
>>
>>36307630
good and evil aren't what determine the quality of art. You are clearly a retard.
>>
Did you just figure out almost everything is subjective?
>>
>>36307827
It's been weighing on my mind for some time now.

>>36307772
How do you share the feeling you felt at the end of your favourite movie or at the climax of your favourite song with someone that hates your favourite filmaker or hates your favourite musician? How do you translate feelings into words they can translate back into the same feeling?

It doesn't have to be media specifically either. It could be any physical activity or pastime or hobby or whatever. Say you enjoy golf, how do you explain the joy of hitting a hole in one to someone that thinks golf is stupid?
>>
>>36307827
ugh but it isn't! everyone views the same thing through a unique filter. So their perceptions are different. But that doesn't mean there isnt an objective truth to the object they all percieve.
>>
>>36307942
pleasure. euphoria.
Art is different than truth. Art is pretty subjective. Like this make me feel, and I don't really care if anyone else does. All it means to me is that if someone likes it and feels it in the same way I do, we are vibrating on a similar level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXIFb0GvFk
>>
the only way to achieve objectivity is to kill everyone in the word so that your perspective is the only one
>>
>>36307980
what the fuck do you mean "achieve objectivity"
consensus is not even necessarily objective.
God your'e all retarded!
>>
>>36307966
>this make me feel, and I don't really care if anyone else does
I think this is the issue I'm having. I do care what other people are thinking or feeling. I want them to feel like I do, particularly when it's a positive feeling.

I don't have a problem with other people liking things I don't like, but I hate it when people don't like things I like. It hurts. It feels like they don't like me because they don't understand why I like that particular thing. When I try not caring about what other people think, I feel disconnected and lonely. I don't want to be alone, I want to connect with other people.

I really like the music you posted by the way, it was soothing and helped calm me down a bit.
>>
>>36307630
Good post; I enjoyed reading it. A lot of what you said resonates with my own experiences.
>>
>>36309441
Seconded. Thanks OP.

I believe you are already fortunate enough in having found friends who share similar emotional response to input. I have friends, but even the ones who enjoy the art I do enjoy it for different reasons, their responses being sometimes so different that I do not even have interest in sharing some things anymore, as I feel the false sense of joint experience is worse than not having shared anything at all.

Nevertheless, the idea that the quality of art is impossible to determine objectively I find rather appalling. While yes, all experiences are subjective, there are metrics one can (subjectively) impose by which one can make objective statements. Taylor Swift makes more simplistic music than Musorgski. Modern day sculptors make less realistic works than Strazza's Veiled Virgin. Cezanne's work required less originality than Monet. Dostoevsky requires a greater understanding of the human condition than Tom Clancy. Whether or not you find such conditions to be of importance for quality may be up to you, but there is a reason that 100 years from now there will still be people reading the Odyssey while the last copy of the Da Vinci will be rotting in a buried attic somewhere.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.