[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is workibg retail hard or stressful? what about physically demanding?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (38KB, 308x520px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 308x520px
Is workibg retail hard or stressful? what about physically demanding? by physically demandibg i mean carrying things over 120 lbs
>>
the worst part is when sometimes you have to carry home 60kg of groceries for the old ladies
>>
>>36302289
It's variable. If you work with a shitty team it's instantly not going to be worth it. If you've got a competent team it's not TOO bad for min wage.

Also if you're not used to having to be on your feet all day be ready to buy insoles, because you're probably going to be taking painkillers for your feet the first week or two.
>>
>>36302543
im standing all day but is it worse in different jobs probably?
>>
No

You just hear a lot of complaints about it because it's generally the first job of a young person with no work ethic
>>
I work as a cashier. The hardest part for me is the talking. I do the bare minimum. Most of the time I don't have to lift heavy shit. I just come around and get it with the wireless gun.

When I have no customers I have to stand at the end of my lane and wave people in. That's the hardest part.

If you want the easiest job for a social reject do the carts. You'll be expected to load groceries in old people's cars sometimes but mostly you'll just be dicking around outside.
>>
File: IMG_3073.png (930KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3073.png
930KB, 640x1136px
>>36302289
>the tendie chicken in background
>>
>>36302599
ia being a cashier hard? i was at walmart today and was thinking "damn it must be hard to use a register" because youbhave to be able to take cards, checks or cash and know what to press and how the heck do you learn to bag well? do you just keep stuff like food together and try to keep stuff like toothpaste and deodorant together? is it hard to learn to use a digital register? so they teach you everything?
>>
You have to talk to people. Take that as you will.
>>
>>36302658
I work for Walmart and it's not as easy as people think.
The cash registers the company uses are ridiculously convoluted, and there's a large number of 4 digit codes that have to be remembered for a plethora of different situations.
It's by no means hard, but it's definitely not the right job for the demographic that normally works it. It requires a real work ethic to do well.
>>
>>36302760
will they show you how to do everythibg or do they get mad at you duribg training?
>>
>>36302781
It would be silly if they didn't train new people on what their procedures were.
>>
>>36302658
They gave me half assed training. They kinda threw me on the register and it was like sink or swim. If you can use a self checkout efficiently you can handle 90% of customers. There are some things that will fuck up your day though.

First off customer brings their own bags. I care about the environment but fuck your raggedy ass cloth bag. The only ones I like are the ones from my own store, they have a flap that fits the bag carousel perfectly. Everything else is shit even if it has that loop thing. Gigantic waste of my fucking time.

Plastic bags that just won't fucking open no matter how hard you try. 25% of the time you get a shitty batch of them and it fucks everything up.

Bar code missing. Fuck that shit. Have to call the correct department and get the info from them.

Produce. You are expected to memorize all the numbers for produce. I haven't made it that far but I'm starting to get there. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between different kinds and have to ask customers THEN look it up in the computer. It's embarrassing because they are probably used to the people who have been doing it for years and they tell you in a condescending voice.

You get other random shit thrown your way sometimes but most of the time you rarely even have to touch cash. I'm exhausted at the end of every day but it's getting better.
>>
>>36302781
They sit you in front of a computer with some really really cheaply done "lessons" on how to use it, but the videos they use are outdated, the register don't have half the buttons or functions they talk about, and many things actually depend on the state you're in, but instead they realize it all to the state it was recorded in.
If you don't take the time out to learn for yourself, you're never going to learn.
They don't care. They can afford to recycle employees.
It's your job to learn, but they don't feel like it's their job to teach you.
>>
>>36302853
I forgot all about produce. Itdoesn't help that produce SKUs change constantly without warning whenever the department manager decides to change the mod
>>
>>36302977
Knowing which produce scans and which doesn't makes your life easier. 4011 bananas and 4080 asparagus are two I know and use every day. Trying to remember 4161 onions. The ones we had last week didn't have stickers but the ones now do. The most commonly entered ones I start to remember. 4688 4689 3121 peppers. I'll get there I swear.
>>
I worked in a drug store for a few years. Wasn't too bad.

I worked service desk for a while. Mostly sold lottery tickets and audited tills. Worst thing was Western Union, a money transfer service. People didn't have proper ID or they were trying to scam me into giving them money.

I also did stock as well. Stock was pretty chill for the most part. Unload the truck in the back room then stock and front shelves. Also included janitorial stuff but I never minded that. You get people asking where stuff is all the time but other than that not too much interaction.
>>
>>36303311
is unloading a truck hard? i dont know how to drive a forklift

the one at the shop im at is a manual transmission and i dont know how to drive stick shift stuff
>>
>>36302949
Yeah they gave me computer training. It was fairly accurate for my state but I live in the same state as the chain's headquarters. I cheated on the math tests by using the Windows calculator. That's also how I got my first job, I opened up a calculator on my phone's browser.

Also we got register training but I was half asleep. I got violently sick the night before and couldn't sleep. The woman told us to just hit a bunch of buttons and figure it out. We also had to learn how to remove the security tags but I instantly forgot. I learned that as I went along though. Had to call for help for that once or twice.

Dumb shit always happens though. Yesterday some guy bought $100 worth of gift cards and I ran out of receipt paper right as his was printing.
>>
Wait, is The Rock a Juggalo?
>>
>>36302289
>Is workibg retail hard
no
>or stressful?
yes yes yes yes
>>
>>36303311
That reminds me, IDing people to buy alcohol. Today this dude had his three daughters and bought a bunch of liquor. At the end of the transaction I noticed one of the daughters was paying. I was like hold up... I need to see your ID, so the father ended up paying from his own card.

I got chewed out on my first day because I fucked up and was about to take payment from a different person from the one I ID'd. Team leader caught me then pulled me aside. That was in the training videos of course but I wasn't paying a lot of attention.
>>
>>36303436
damn that sucks how bad was getting chewed out
>>
>>36303397
icp was on wwe or wwf back in the day so maybe they were friends for a bit
>>
>>36303469
Fairly nice but still embarrassing. Sucks when you're the only person in your group that trained to make a major fuck up like that.

That girl today was like "I'm 20 and this is my mom's card and we do this all the time" and I was thinking you sound just like the fucking training video. This shit has got to be a sting. She was hot though.
>>
>>36303339
>is unloading a truck hard? i dont know how to drive a forklift
I'm not the other anon
Only big stores have forklifts, I work at a pharmacy that gets truck 1x a week and a tractor trailer with a belt parks in front of our building's backdoor and they slide all the product totes on it. However, I also worked at one in a crappier building where pallets would be unloaded outside and I'd have to cut it apart and wheel all the totes in with a handtruck.

Also depending on truck delivery times you can work really early in the morning, like 4-10am and barely interact with customers which is very nice
>>
>>36303053
Eventually you start to remember full ones. I've got the 2lb bag of yellow onions memorized, because the tags always fall off.
>>
>>36303673
Our onion bags don't have tags that easily fall off. It is poorly printed though so I have to use the gun to scan it every time.
>>
>>36303339
its not hard most places will teach how you to do it

only really big stores use them too, mostly you'll just be using a pallet jack
>>
>>36303742
I love when customers reach for the hand scanner. Thank you for trying to help, but now I'm gonna get in trouble because you touched this.
>>
>>36302289
I work in a pretty high traffic clothing store. A lot of the stress is just dealing with the customers and having the store look like shit despite your best efforts.

As for lifting, bringing in shipment isn't very demanding, nothing over 120lb I can say that.

The worst about it though is management. Working with competent associate teams is important, but having competent management is number 1, without it, that job is going to be a whole lot more stressful. Currently it feels like our store is falling apart because of our head manager driving everybody out of the store with her borderline paranoia. I know I wont be spending much more time there, but for a while it was really enjoyable. Shame it had to go to shit
>>
>>36302289
I use to work on retail back when my mind was ok.
>>
>>36303339
Forklifts are super easy to drive, but really misleading. Don't steer it like a car unless you want to crash
>>
>>36303788
Never had that happen, but I guess the people that shop at Walmart are probably a bit dumber. They usually just hold their shit up waiting for me to scan it while I'm not paying attention and already have twenty of their things scanned. Really hate it when they put stuff that should be scanned with that on the belt. I can't wait to see something tear off the monitor someday.

Today I had the magnet for removing security devices from bottles and shit snap right in half and pinch my finger. Never realized how dangerous those were. I had to get moved to another register.
>>
>>36302289
Retail is a dying job sector. Don't bother chasing a job that won't exist in two year's. This month alone we lose 3500 stores. Online shopping killed it
>>
>>36303339

Not particularly, at least where I worked. The heaviest boxes were around 25~30 pounds, but we occasionally got huge displays that were a pain in the ass. Fucking cat litter.

>>36303436

Yeah, somehow I forgot about IDing. I only did a few full cashier shifts during my tenure there but with I worked stock I had to cover breaks up front. I denied a guy because his ID was expired by 6 months and I wasn't completely sure of his age. Also had a few people come in without IDs and I wouldn't sell alcohol to them. Our store never got busted for selling alcohol underage but one guy got arrested for selling cigarettes to a minor.
>>
retail is the only type of job i can get but i still fucking hate it and refuse to work retail ever again
>>
>>36304086
You could push carts or something
>>
>>36302289
Working retail is literal suffering. Don't do it if you're prone to depression and anxiety. You will crash and burn.
>>
>>36303956
People are stupid and like convenience. Especially older people. It's shrink down but it's not going to die for a very long time unfortunately.
>>
>>36304218
Also being able to pick their own produce is going to keep them coming in for a long time. My store has everything but I mostly sell food. I sell to both regular people and people who buy expensive organic shit. I sell produce all day long.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.