[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What could I do to win James Randi's $1,000,000 challenge?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6

File: RANDI[1].jpg (551KB, 1099x1237px) Image search: [Google]
RANDI[1].jpg
551KB, 1099x1237px
What could I do to win James Randi's $1,000,000 challenge?

He offers one million dollars to someone who provides proof of the paranormal, or to people who simply make incredible claims that run contrary to established science.

He's been willing to test non-paranormal things like audiophile equipment before with the same million dollar offer to anyone who could prove there is a measurable difference (he was right on this one of course).

So if he is willing to go that far maybe I could catch him and the JREF (his foundation, he retired in 2015) off guard and get them to offer the money for something I can actually prove exists on a technical basis.
>>
>>36288692
Prove that Jelqing actually works.
>>
>>36288753
I think the growth would have to be pretty significant to win the prize on that one. And I'd have to prove it can be repeated on other test subjects.

If I could find a way to make men's dicks bigger I'd be looking at a lot more money than a million.
>>
He was demonstrated existence of the paranormal numerous times. Typically when people throw out a challenge like this they never ever give the money away no matter what.
>>
>>36289432
Prove your claim
>>
File: 14847203772485555ffff.jpg (75KB, 479x269px) Image search: [Google]
14847203772485555ffff.jpg
75KB, 479x269px
>>36288692
He is a notorious trouble maker in the parapsychological world. He once bent the rules and screwed up a Psychokinesis experiment and then claimed he exposed it. There was also a girl in the 70's who was suffering from Psychokinetic outbreaks (commonly known as poltergeists) - and when the local newspaper put out a story on her , this jackass showed up at her home and started yelling and being an asshole. The girl was being studied by Dr. William Roll who wrote the book about her called "Unleashed". Randi is the epitome of the fear of Psi and no matter what you did I doubt he will never give up the money. Dr. Jeffery Mishlove , Dr. Jule Eisenbud , Dr. A.W.G Owen , Dr. William Roll , Mrs. Iris M. Owen , Dr. Dean Raden , Dr. Stanley krippner , Dr. Charles Tart , Joseph McMoneagle (US Army intelligence) , Professor Stephen E. Braude , Dr. Ed May , and who can forget Carl Jung and even Terrence McKenna. They and about a dozen other past and present research scientistswho's books I have readhave demonstrated without question the reality of the phenomena. In fact , Psychokinesis alone is telling us huge amounts about how quantum theory works in the mundane world. The field of parapsychology is absolutely filled with evidence. So - yea , he is just a jerk that makes money off of ignorance and the common subconscious fear of psi. But hey - go for it , who knows maybe you can be the one to crack his terror.
>>
>>36290028
do you know anything about quantum theory at all m8
>>
>>36290081
>>36288692
Yes. And entanglement specifically is the study that is in reference to Psi.
>>
0 chance of paranormal

universe is infinite

1/infinity=0

therefore paranormals exist

i'll take my money in cash please
>>
>>36288692
Prove that children aren't harmed by sexual contact with adults
>>
>>36290105
and how precisely are you jumping from the theory of quantum information to mind powers?
>>
>>36290286
>>36288692
I figured that question would come up so I stayed for that lol ... Dr. Dean Raiden has argued that the microtubules within the brain operate at frequencies that are conducive to psi which is transferred through entanglement. This supports the idea of a collective consciousness , and all variations of ESP and Psychokinesis . Dr. Ed May has taken Raiden's work a step further and concluded the same.
Here is a great interview with Dr. May that will explain it in a much better way than I care to write out here.
https://youtu.be/rqJWhIld8mU?list=PLDclhMCOIszQqH61Hy712_G-1v_2O3aN1
>>
>>36290028
>>36290105
>Quantum theory and/or entanglement demonstrates TK

No, this looks like it would run afoul of the No-communication theorem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem
>>
>>36290400
>microtubules within the brain operate at frequencies that are conducive to psi

What the fuck does this even mean?
>>
>>36290400
>>36288692
opps , wrong guy - this was the scientist I was trying to think of. I have so many names in my head right now it's insane. Here is the correct interview.
https://youtu.be/gBHss9g0pB0?list=PLDclhMCOIszQPTrBgB71OjMl5a_rQaIwy
>>
>>36288692
He's a retard that made the "challenge" for publicity and to smear the paranormal and those that believe the paranormal
>>
.>>36288692

ESP has already been demonstrated to show statistically significant effects. This was done decades ago.

What Randi wants is someone to cast a fireball or teleport. He moves the goalposts like the field is experiencing spontaneous lava flow
>>
>>36290170
Prove that the universe is infinite, faggot.
>>
>>36290503
>>36288692
Yep , that is a perfect description of him lol
>>
>>36290479
>Quantum brains/consciousness
No,
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9907009
> We find that the decoherence timescales ~10^{-13}-10^{-20} seconds are typically much shorter than the relevant dynamical timescales (~0.001-0.1 seconds), both for regular neuron firing and for kink-like polarization excitations in microtubules.

Or in other words quantum effects in the brain (should they exist) would become classical with in a no more than a tenth of a trillionth of a second, which is far too quick for it to ever be part of computation in the brain, which is on the scale of milliseconds.
>>
>>36290455
>>36288692
Here is Dr. Raiden. I just grabbed the interview at random so the source is a bit irrelevant.
https://youtu.be/DItli8QWOb0
>>
>>36290630
>>36288692
That is the classical and materialist position. You would have to read Dr. Raiden's work to get a better grasp of the entire theory.
>>
>>36290678
>That is the classical and materialist position.
But you're arguing from a materialist position by appealing to QM. I'm (or rather Max Tegmark) showing you that it can't work, ie it has to be a classical system.

>read Dr. Raiden's work
No. It doesn't work on a fundamental level, any quantum effects will quickly become classical on a time scale that's so short it physically can not take part in some process in the brain.
>>
>>36290722
Time is relative.
t. Einstein
>>
>>36290860
>Time is relative.
Yes, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
>>
>>36290860
Suck my relatively big dick.
>>
File: uri-geller1[1].jpg (23KB, 578x300px) Image search: [Google]
uri-geller1[1].jpg
23KB, 578x300px
>>36289432

That never happened. There's a big archive on his website of all the people who attempted the challenge and everyone who actually tried, failed.

The problem is that not that many of the applicants actually made it to the experiment stage. Lots of them either stop contacting the randi foundation or just outright refuse to play ball with them when they try to establish reasonable parameters for the experiment. The unfortunate thing about this is that they eventually brought in the rule that you need to have signed testamonials from 3 professionals and some degree of media exposure now to even try to take the challenge (just so they know you're actually serious about it).

This kinda takes away from the impact of the challenge though, if you ask me. At this stage, you might actually have paranormal powers, but might not be able to accrue a media following or even persuade 3 professionals to put their reputation on the line for you. So it sort of defeats the purpose of the challenge being a big fuck you to people who claim they can do all this shit, but actually can't. That said, there's a bunch of other less known (and lesser paying) challenges from all over the world that don't have such strict stipulations as far as I know. So if you actually do have magic powers and aren't just a mentally ill and/or a fraud, then feel free to look up some of those instead.
>>
ITT: retards who think that Randi has been shown paranormal things but somehow sabotaged and lied his way out of them instead of proving they were a hoax to begin with.

There has not been one single instance ever. You even have a retard throwing quantum pseudoscience garbage, when he obviously doesn't understand even basic quantum mechanics.

Actually this does fit /r9k/ now that I think of it. This board is literally full of bitter virgins who are immune to facts and will believe anything as long as it fits their worldviews.
>>
>>36290503
Show proof that ESP has been successfully demonstrated. Protip: you can't.
>>
>>36291046
Or maybe a simpler explanation: these paranormal powers don't exist?
>>
>>36290503
>statistically significant effects
Blind guesses are bound to be correct about half the time if there are two choices, thats not statistically significant proof, that's a fucking coin toss
>>
>>36291087

You don't even know "statistically significant" means in the context of a science experiment. Please go
>>
>>36291239
I know far more about science than a high school dropout like you ever will.
>>
>>36291346

My message was meant for
>>36291169
>>
You guys are better off solving a Millenium Problem
>>
>>36290400
>microtubules
Which are...?
>operate at frequencies
Frequencies of what?
>conductive to psi
How can the frequency of something determine that something's conductivity?
>transferred through entanglement
How can the frequency of how often something occur send information through two particles?

Admit it, you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
"The paranormal challenge was officially terminated by the JREF in 2015.[9] The foundation continues to make grants to non-profit groups that encourage critical thinking and a fact-based world view." (Jamed Ramdi Wikipedia)
Looks like the party is over faggot.
>>
>>36289432
Except he wasn't, faggot.
>>
>>36291487
Pseudoscience advocates think that throwing big words makes something true, even though they have no clue what they mean.
>>
>>36291492
If you read farther you'll see it's still on but you have to be more serious about approaching them with it.
>>
>>36290028
>He was an asshole that's why it failed!!
>He fears it, that's why it never manifests around him!!

Lmao

How powerful psi is if it can be completely nullified by unbelievers.
>>
>>36291537
>I have no idea what those words mean, but they sound smart so it must be true!
>>
>>36291514
He's immune to facts, waste of time replying to him.
>>
File: venom.gif (186KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
venom.gif
186KB, 678x422px
>>36288692
Should be pretty easy if you're a robot
>be a 30 yo virgin
>gain wizard powers
>win prize
Not that you would care about money at that point, since the many years of ascetic neetdown would have made you give up your material desires.
>>
>>36291537

Roger Penrose unironically believes Quantum Magic in the Microtubuls causes consciousness. He's also a mathematical physicist.
>>
Where da proofs: the thread.
>>
>>36291539
>OFFICIALLY RETIRED
That means the next Jew gets the money faggot, not you.
>>
>>36288692
It's a bunch of bullshit. Even if there was something genuinely paranormal he wouldn't admit it. These sorts of sceptics are the same as religious people. Egotistical know it alls, unable to ever admit they don't know the answer to something.

Hence Randi is a canonical saint to fedora redditors.
>>
>>36291586
>Penrose
I swear it's a natural progression for physicists to slowly gravitate towards more fringe beliefs as they grow older. It happened to Penrose, Dyson, Schrodinger, Hawking recently jumped on the "AI is going to kill us all" bandwagon, and I'm sure many more.
>>
>>36291631
These sorts of sceptics are the same as religious people.

REALLY joggins the nogginn
>>
>>36291631
Where's that XKCD comic about the smug faggot in third position.

Evidence based reasoning built the machine you're spewing shit with, now go fellate yourself.
>>
>>36291118

Google "AN ASSESSMENT OF THE EVIDENCE FOR PSYCHIC FUNCTIONING" by Jessica Utts. Psi was proven decades ago, but since it explicitly falsifies materialism, people refuse to look at it dispassionately.
>>
>>36291118
The random generator experiments at Burning Man.

They used several different random sources, most of them nuclear, and recorded them before and during the event, checking to see if intense concentration would affect their output when everyone focuses on the burning fella. Spoiler: it did, all of them.

Other successful experiments include talking to plants visibly improving their growth, and a blindfolded person in a room being able to tell when he is looked at through black glass at a better chance than 50%.
>>
>>36291631
>le hat maymay

Chortle'd heartily my good fellow, have an upvote.
>>
>>36291697
It's not a third position baka it's an observation. Religious people and atheists are both fine, just so long as they don't have this attitude of "I'm always right." I especially see this with Christians, Muslims and atheists, whereas other religions tend to be more open and calm. Many Christians/Muslims think their interpretation of their holy text is infallible, and so many atheists think their interpretation of science (really, pop-science) is infallible. It's aggravating.

Given that my post made you so angry, I'm guessing you're one of those annoying cunts.
>>
>>36291551
The pseudoscience defenders posts are just one big nonsensical world salad.
>>
File: Ao9X4hN.jpg (89KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ao9X4hN.jpg
89KB, 540x540px
>>36288692
There are people with more "color cones" in their eyes than others who can see more colors.
Have one of those distinguish two otherwise identical pictures made with a "magic"camera.
The "magic" part being that one of those pictures is morphed in a way invisible to normies.
>>
>>36291703
>[CITATION NEEDED]
>[PEER REVIEW NEEDED]
>>
>>36291631
Why hasn't anyone collected the prize? It should be easy. It's all documented. You of course are lying but won't admit it even when proven a liar.
>>
>>36291838
Proofs are not needed on /r9k/.
>>
>>36291838
>I cannot use google
Everything I mentioned has been independently reproduced, and is decades old.
>>
>>36291876
Show me the peer reviewed study then
>>
>>36291046
>reasonable parameters
That's subjective
>>
>>36291895
>I cannot use google, part 2
I am not doing the work for you.
>>
>>36291906
>make a claim
>get asked for proof
>lol no
Hence, I can disregard it as just pure bullshit, just as with all other pseudoscience
>>
>>36291814
>muh attitude based arguments.
>muh tone.

A person can say whatever the fuck they want and act however they please so long as they have evidence to the core argument.

>continued third position fedora tripe.
>made u so angry
You wish.
>>
>>36291919
>anon asks for proof
>tell anon where to find said proof
>anon asks to be spoonfed

I am not trying to convert you. I simply pointed you to the correct direction, and you are too lazy to go there. I've lost nothing if you don't do so and believe it's all bullshit.
>>
Less arguing more thinking up scams.

I bet there are idiot savants out there capable of somethings odd enough to qualify.
>>
>>36291981
>Make claim.
>No proofs.
>Points people to look for some study done at a druggie festival.

hmmm
>>
>>36291984
I can move my toes independently
Take THAT, mr science guy!
>>
>>36292017
Its something.
If you can get a few quacks to testify that its impossible.
>>
>>36292057
Hello anon, do you think moving your toes independently is impossible?
>>
>>36290028
You write like a schizophrenic retard.
>>
>>36291839
Because randi moves the goalposts and sets goalposts that go against
>>
>>36291965
wew lad

What a lack of self-awareness. Take a breath, calm down and think for a minute about what you just said. Does it make sense in response to what I said? Hint:It doesn't.
>>
>>36291981

>anon asks for proof
>tell anon to use Google
>claims to have pointed at proof

You really are more full of shit than a porta-pottie at your hippie lovefest.
>>
>>36291981
Proof cannot be found with the method you provided. Can you assist me with your superior intellect and give direct links instead of "hurr google"?
>>
>>36292115
Show proofs. Especially show proofs where that disqualified an otherwise paranormal effect.
>>
>>36292763
I don't have a link, but I can remember the article.
>man claims he can make pencils roll across a table with his mind
>Randi demands the man move a much heavier block (I don't remember the exact weights, but I think it was in grams or kilograms)
>the only reasonable restriction was that the block was in a controlled environment
>the man fails and randi flaunts the failure as a sign that paranormal things don't exist
You can't take the fact that no one has won the "challenge" as evidence that the paranormal doesn't exist.
>>
>>36292845
So some guy failed a challenge he should have been able to do, and thats proof that Randi moved the goal posts? Nigga what?
>>
>>36292874
>he should have been able to do
Why do you say that?
>>
>>36292920
If you can move x with your mind, then why not y? I suppose you're going to say something like "if you can move a pencil, why not a car". But that's not quite the same, since a pencil is on the order of grams so the pencil and block were of a similar weight. So why shouldn't he have been able to move it?
>>
It's a scam. There is no actual prize and it's basically the equivalent of a carrot under a cardboard box to lazily try and recruit people with some semblance of power.
>>
>>36292845
If you don't have a link, you might as well have made it up. But what you described sounds like just another claimant getting btfo before even trying.
>>
>>36292973
Can you really not see the poor logic of your statement? If you can lift 120 pounds, but that's your limit, you wouldn't be able to lift 200 or even 150. But then your inability to lift 200lbs doesn't mean your claim of lifting 150lbs is a lie
>>
>>36293384
I knew you'd say that, I even said that you'd say that in my previous post. AND explained why it's wrong.
>>
>>36288692
You can learn to listen to what's behind the veil. I'd call it the void but that's not really the right word. It's more like the fabric that is the foundation of our reality. It will let you know things from time to time. Learn to do this and make Randi the offer that you can make five specific predictions over the course of a year and only have to be right four of the times. You won't be able to do it on the spot but if you learn to listen there's something there.
>>
Randi is a fucking faggot who likes sucking Houdini's dick all day.
>>
>>36293407
>similar weight
Are you retarded?
>>
This thread is all the proof we need that robots are not more intelligent than average.
>>
>>36293407
I literally explained why your "explanation" was wrong.
>>
>>36293948
Abou. 30% of men over 20 are still virgins. If you consider most of us aren't even 20 you'll see that r9K represents a pretty normal demographic. Geniuses are usually Chads because intelligent people are almost always better at everything
>>
>>36294051
Geniuses are more likely to have mental illnesses
>>
>>36294270
Source. And mental illness doesn't mean you are smarter, that's just what mentally ill robots tell themselves.
>>
>>36294270
This is false. IQ and mental illness are inversely related. The average schizophrenic or depressed person is dumb as fuck. Even then most people on here aren't mentally ill. They're just teenagers realizing real life requires work ethics an you can't get the Stacey you want all the time
>>
>>36294446
Source? And nah, the schizophrenics tend to be the crazies in the park. And anxiety disorders are rarely diagnosed because anxiety is useful in society and common among intelligent people. (Constantly running mental scenarios that could occur)
>>
>>36294712
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/001698628502900305
Intelligence and anxiety are inversely correlated. Its no different from the dumb jock meme. People think smart people suck at sports but IQ and fitness correlate
>>
>>36294869
Okay, but IQ isn't definitive when it comes to intelligence. And that study is not definitive. There are more variables at play, and the study was done with children
>>
>>36294712
my god you sound like a stupid person yourself

mentally running through situations requires 0 brainpower.

IQ is not correlated with thoughtfulness or introspection either. People who become depressed and recover also become more introspective and then less introspective as they recover, but while they were depressed their IQ was actually measured to be lower.

If you're going to say IQ != intelligence, you're right, but then consider that you have a highly subjective interpretation of intelligence that's not backed up by anything other your autistic self serving impression of reality,
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.