[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you considered living a more minimalist life style?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: mini.jpg (73KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
mini.jpg
73KB, 1024x640px
Have you considered living a more minimalist life style?
>>
every fucking day, grown habits prevent me from sticking with it.
>>
I plan to live somewhat minimalist.
>>
File: nichijou-23659.png (315KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
nichijou-23659.png
315KB, 1280x800px
>>36273572

I have, not to the ultimate minimalist extreme though.

I discovered Mari Kondo's method of organizing and discarding one's belongings and it has sincerely changed my life. I'm -almost- a normie now.

She is a Japanese organizing consultant that has written many books that were a hit throughout the world. The waiting list to have her personally come to your house is months long now.

I've thrown out about 70% of what I owned, and worry less about what the rest of the house is like because it's not my stuff to deal with. I lead by example and have my safe little oasis of order and simplicity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1-HMMX_NR8
>>
>>36273572
Yeah, but it's impossible. Useless junk just seems to accumulate around me.
>>
>>36273865
then just throw it out
>>
>>36273572
If there are products I can buy that do multiple things sure.

I already live kind of minalmalist as it is.

Don't have any furniture or worthless junk laying around
>>
Yeah. I'm just waiting for my dad to die so I can inherit his business and live the rest of my life in peace in a flat like that. For now I'm stuck with him. On top of being a hoarder he suffers from multiple mental conditions so the house always looks like a dump.
>>
>>36273888
But I might need it, mr. trips.

Also, it really is a losing battle.
>>
>>36274030
>I might need it

You might. Probably not though, since you do admit that it's junk.

What you DO need is a liveable, workable, relaxing, space.

It's up to you.
>>
>>36273572
Well the only objects I use are my computer and bed. So not really.
>>
I think I'd feel sad throwing away my old stuff because of the memories
>>
>>36273827
I've just finished reading her books. Looking forward to starting. How long did it take to get through the miscellaneous category?
>>
>>36273572
I live in third world, I am minimalist because I am poor as fuck and everything cost more than in murrica.

All those minimalist and other hipster ideas are ridiculous.

It only shows that whole depression, sadness, minimalism, beard, hispter all those shit is result of being spoiled first world citizen.

>itt: first world people problems
>>
>>36273572
yes. I'm going to try being a vagrant for a while.
>>
>>36273572
It's a meme that glorifies poverty so porky can hoard money and buy his third yacht.
>>
>>36274441
It's all relative though and just shows that human are unable to be happy, despite their material possessions, if they are unable to connect emotionally with another person.

Living in a nice house with nice shit means jack shit if you're completely socially isolated.
>>
I'm almost glad that ebay has turned into a shit hole, so I don't hang on to junk thinking I can sell it later. I just trash what I don't use/need.
>>
>>36274481
>glorifies poverty
Wrong. If anything, minimalists have more money.

>So porky can buy a third yacht.
Minimalists slow down the economy. Porky depends on your mindless consumption to afford his yachts.
>>
>>36274389
>How long did it take to get through the miscellaneous category?

Definitely the longest, more than books or clothes or papers.

The biggest chunk was going through my collection of CDs as well as DVDs. It was more of a tough process to really objectively say "this still (or doesn't) sparks joy in me", rather than time-consuming I think.

Her "komono" category is literally everything else other than books/clothes/papers, which can be really daunting for young adults who grew up in an increasingly paperless society. Electronics should be their own category.

It's still a fun process, I legitimately got a sort of Runner's High when I saw all those garbage bbags filled up and so much clear space on my desk and shelves and in my drawers, etc.

Her way of folding & storing clothes too is A+++
>>
>>36274845
What does she think about digital clutter?
>>
>>36274931
I haven't read ALL her books, or heard all her speeches, so I'm not really sure.

I just apply her method to digital files and bookmarks and e-mails because digital things are still things all the same.

I don't ever leave any files on my desktop, I immediately delete rar or zip files after I've extracted them, I routinely transfer all new files to an external hard drive, I used to have 100+ websites bookmarked and now I'm down to a dozen, I alwways checked and delete e-mails so that I rarely have more than a few dozen read e-mails in my inbox when really it used to be thousands, etc.

The toughest/longest process was organizing all of my fucking memes and wojaks and pepes and random 4chan bullshit. I just looked at each picture, one a time and asked myself "will I ever really post this regularly?" and if yes I placed it in an appropriate pictures subfolder like my "hhhmmm" folder or "smug anime girls" or whatever else.
>>
>>36275349
>I just looked at each picture, one a time and asked myself "will I ever really post this regularly?" and if yes I placed it in an appropriate pictures subfolder like my "hhhmmm" folder or "smug anime girls" or whatever else.

I'm taking a more extreme approach and tagging everything and putting it in a database. I'm thinking later on that I can keep track of how often I access an image and cull those that are barely ever looked at.
>>
>>36274533
I've really gotten sick of ebay lately.

Its full of chinese scammers now, and ebay changed their policies so its easier for sellers to rip you off.

Im going to amazon fuck it.
>>
>>36273572
No. Physical possessions are one of the few things that me happy.
>>
Minimalism is for smug rich people who want to feel superior.
>>
>>36273572
i;ve considered dropping out of school but that;s what the summer and winter is for, and i'm hella bored at that time so no point. it's a defeating hamster wheel.
>>
my problem is clothng and shoes. i have two massive closets of shirts and jackets, drawers full of pants, and probably 40 pairs of shoes. how much do i really need would you say?
>>
>>36274533
what's the problem with ebay
>>
I think minimalism and hoarding are opposing expressions of the same fundamental problem with impulse control and decision making.
>>
>>36276036
Not him but it's often an excuse for people to hang onto things that fills up their house with the excuse of "it'll be worth something some day" or "someone will want to buy this"

Not that you need ebay to think and do that though. My parents and other people their age couldn't tell you what ebay is or how it works or even what their website is and they still hold onto stuff while thinking that they can sell it in a garage sale or something.
>>
>>36273572
I have a laptop, dresser with clothes, cell phone, and my bed. That is all I have in my room.
>>
>>36276029
>and probably 40 pairs of shoes. how much do i really need would you say?

No more than five, really.

>running shoes
>dress shoes
>hiking boots
>winter boots
>rain boots

As far as shirts go, I have 14 white shirts that are enough to last me two weeks, a few hooodies, a few pair of pants, a few other sports shirts and sports pants/shorts, some graphic and band shirts from when I was younger.
>>
>>36276036
>>36276134
no I mean why is ebay a shithole, what do I look out for
>>
>>36276215
You can cut that down to

>Running shoes
>Work boots for winter rain and hiking
>dress shoes
>>
>>36276842
That depends, where I live winter bring about knee-deep snow with freezing winds and I wouldn't wear those winter boots to go hiking for several reason.

I suppose if you live in a more temperate climate you could get away with it.

>>36276814
loads of literal Chinese vendors selling off not-cheap imitation knock-offs
>>
>>36275429
I'm just deleting my meme images. If I really want a reaction image I'll google it.
>>
>Plying most people here aren't living a 'minimalistic' life
>Eat,Sleep,WatchScreens,Repeat
>>
File: 1490526919523.jpg (270KB, 850x965px) Image search: [Google]
1490526919523.jpg
270KB, 850x965px
I've been thinking about it DESU, I wont something like pic related, but modified to be a realistic home. Land isn't that expensive here.
>>
>>36274931
Kondo doesn't seem to mind digital clutter so much, in fact part of her decluttering process she suggests converting magazine subscriptions and bill delivery to online formats.

She's all about filling the environment you see with things that bring you joy and removing those that don't. If you're here though we can probably infer that half your life is spent staring into your computer so perhaps take the same approach. Delete and remove anything on your computer that gives you anxiety. That can mean just moving all your steam backlog into a hidden group.
>>
>>36273572
I have, but I can't be bothered to go out of my way to throw all my shit out. My unused furniture, for instance, is heavy and difficult to fit through doorways. May as well just keep it.
>>
>>36274503

Being minimalist in a third-world country isn't the same as living minimalist in a first-world country. Sure it means hanging out with family and neighbors more since you don't have videogames and highspeed Internet to keep you entertained, but it isn't happiness.

>no access to guaranteed clean water, have to rely on underground water and bottled water
>no plumbing (no sink to wash dishes and wash hands properly, no washing/drying machine, no warm showers, no flushable toilets)
>even if you live in a richer part of the counter, plumbing shuts off at night and doesn't turn on until around noon the next day
>electricity isn't reliable, can't have too many appliances other than a fridge and a TV
>can only do errands in day time when public transport is available and going out is safe
>seeing a doctor is expensive and cost a lot of time
>no washing/drying machine
>public restrooms have no toilet paper, have to bring your own
>no minimum wage, many jobs don't even pay people more than $5 a day
>no government assistance (if you're disabled, injured, or sick you're screwed if you don't live in richer part of country)
>outdoors isn't very convenient for those with disabilities (if you require a wheelchair, there's very few places you can go in public)
>no phoneline
>>
>>36277697
How will these countries develop? I mean, do we improve education? How can we reduce corruption and also law and order?
Infrastructure will come with a stronger economy, but how do we get that economic growth?
>>
>>36274441
>>I live in third world, I am minimalist because I am poor as fuck and everything cost more than in murrica.
>
>All those minimalist and other hipster ideas are ridiculous.
>
>It only shows that whole depression, sadness, minimalism, beard, hispter all those shit is result of being spoiled first world citizen.
>
>>itt: first world people problems
Same, can confirm this entire post. Fucking oveprivileged pieces of shit.

>>36277791
When you return all the shit you've stolen from us.
>>
>>36274503

It's easy to be happy without indulging in videogames and anime when you have access to hot and cold running water 24/7 and your electricity doesn't shut off just because you used a microwave and it's common for someone to have 30mbps Internet speed. Also when you get hurt or sick, Urgent Care is just a 5-10 minute drive.
>>
No actually. I hate minimalism. Makes things look sterile like a doctor's officewaiting room rather than lived in.
>>
>>36274503
Feel free to give me all your stuff then moron.
>>
Considered yeah, in a way. But as it stands, that will take a long while. Also probably too attached to my physical books to really convert to full digital on that front. And those alone take up loads of shelves already.
>>
>>36277812
>When you return all the shit you've stolen from us.
Like what?
>>
>be poor
>dream of going to America and working to support my family
>pay taxi (moped with a cart attached to back) man to drive me to townsquare
>pay an amount of money with lots of zeroes that is somehow amounts to less than $5 to use an hour's worth of time to use computer at Internet cafe
>browse /r9k/
>there are Americans that want to live with just the bare essentials when they live in the land of opportunity
>>
>>36277945
I'm not about to educate you for free. Go read a fucking book.
>>
>>36277985
How can I know what we took when I don't where you live?
>>
>>36277985
>you stole from us
>what did we steal
>im not telling
What a great way to fix a problem. You deserve to live the way you do if thats your attitude. You just want to play the victim.
>>
>>36277945
For every dollar of aid the first world gives to the third, $12 comes back in the form of bullshit loan repayments that the IMF and World Bank signed them up for.
Eg. Brazil is over the hill and on top of their loan repayments and they still spend almost half their government expenditure on repayments. Most African nations can barely service the interest.
>>
People like to hate on America, but name one other country that's willing to support and defend another country that's in need.
>>
>>36278073
Brazil is a bad example. But your point is still true
https://maryknollogc.org/article/brazil-massive-debt-struggles
>>
>>36278106
Literally any country in an alliance. America has a habit of showing up late.
>>
>>36278073
Why'd you ask for it then?
>>
File: farmhouse.jpg (256KB, 736x560px) Image search: [Google]
farmhouse.jpg
256KB, 736x560px
Sometimes I think I'd be happier if I could get a plot of land and build myself a house. I fantasize about that a lot actually.
>>
>>36278198

Desperation.

80% of the population is struggling with money and don't have to clean running water, electricity, healthcare, and
>>
>>36278209

It's peaceful and you get to feel good about being self-sufficient, but no flushable toilets or sinks with plumbing can get tedious in the long run. Mountain/well water isn't always clean and you will miss warm showers.

You try saving water when you're trying to flush shit down a toilet without plumbing.
>>
>>36278198
No one fucking asks for your involvement in anything.

You know what you people did when Ceausescu literally repaid the ENTIRE FOREIGN DEBT OF ROMANIA and made plans to recover the economy independently? You financed a revolution against him, killed him and his family, and instated your puppet government that immediately took more IMF loans than the debt was in the worst times of communism.
>>
>>36278209
And you can't do it because...? You know it's practically free, right? You need 1-2 months of western salary to buy a plot of land and all the shit you need to build something like that in a cheaper country.
>>
>>36278377

It requires the experience of someone who had to live in a third-world country . It's harder to live off the land in America than it is in third-world country. It also requires fitness.
>>
>>36278377
Partly because I do not have the skill set. Partly because it would be like giving up, even though I'm not doing much of anything.
>>
File: what-the-fuck-am-i-reading[1].jpg (64KB, 540x739px) Image search: [Google]
what-the-fuck-am-i-reading[1].jpg
64KB, 540x739px
>>36278415
>It's harder to live off the land in America than it is in third-world country.
>>
>>36278500

>be homeless in America
>government keeps building fences in underpasses so you can't sleep under highways
>there's hardly any wild fruit trees or edible plants in public
>can't build a shack in an empty lot or else government will kick it down
>no rivers or lakes to use for water
>the only places with clean running water are camping areas which discourage people from camping without first checking in with the ranger

>be homeless in thirdworld countries
>poverty is such a huge problem that government doesn't mind people building tiny houses on the streets and empty lots as long as they aren't building on top of businesses or in the middle of parks
>fruit trees and edible plants everywhere
>drinking wells means free water for everyone
>>
>>36273572
I already do
>No hobbies
>No socializing
>No GF
>Barely any tv outside of Samurai Jack
>Some gaming but not much else
>Teach myself maths Most of the time

The simple life is painfully dull and limiting. Knowing you'll never get to travel or exercise independence or have any feeling of security is depressing
>>
>>36278583
Actually, in reality it's everything from the America part except with no free shit. Your example is an idealized example of how it was 20 years ago, in the meantime there was the whole globalization, importing neoliberal capitalism, selling off the entire natural goods etc. to foreign companies, and so on.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.