[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have a positive thread, recommending to other anon

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: The_Teachings_of_Don_Juan.jpg (16KB, 345x524px) Image search: [Google]
The_Teachings_of_Don_Juan.jpg
16KB, 345x524px
Let's have a positive thread, recommending to other anon stuff that has making us feel better/stuff that is simply nice.

>The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
>The first of a series of books devoted to teaching you how to live a life filled by positive, operating Will without any self help - the Plato of contemporary society, for what is worth, if you read any one of these books without contempt you'll find a wealth of ideas to improve your personal behaviour and will ("personal power"), condensed in very effective metaphors. Highly reccomend to read it alongside Nietzsche and Spinoza.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (179KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
179KB, 1920x1080px
Please, let's have a thread in which we do something but hating each other's guts.

>Calibro 35 - Calibro 35
>A meshing of jazz, funk and prog rock, a cover album of Italian poliziottesco/giallo soundtracks, I'm fairly sure you won't find anything groovier on the entire internet. Not for a party, but after a few beers and a blunt this is going to be your most faithful companion.
>>
i wanted to like these books. its a crock of shit though, you know that right? some dude in the desert meets up with some native american shaman, and he learns how to shape shift, alter reality, have superhuman powers, all kinds of other new agey bullshit
>>
>>36222121
Of course they're a crock of shit, if we come at them from a empirical epistemology - that doesn't change the fact they're some of the most poignant, more covert "self-help" I've ever read.

You don't need to believe in Don Juan, Mescalito, sorcery or allies to gain something from them - these books are a masterclass in trying to focus your own will towards an aim, a point, even if you don't know it. They try to teach about the unity of Being (which, as philosophy goes, has never been taught so cogently) and its consequences.

Their truth is of small consequence: I don't care for Castaneda to have born (who's Don Juan again?), but the words these farcical figures uttered on the vast background of some inexistent chaparral, those are going to stay with me, haunting, forever.
>>
>>36221836
I really like Lovecraft but i haven't found anything similar to it.
>>
>>36222976
MR James
Laird Barron
Reza Negarestani

Though really, just read MR James's stories until you remember them all by heart. As an inveterate Lovecraft fan, James is the only one who managed to play that peculiar, rotten string of the heart the way Lovecraft did with his stories.
>>
Bump? Please, let's have somthing non-destructive to say
>>
Is this a books only recommendation thread?
>>
File: Killer-Klowns1.jpg (88KB, 636x471px) Image search: [Google]
Killer-Klowns1.jpg
88KB, 636x471px
>>36223527
I recc'd some music before, I wish people would do more with the format

>Killer Klowns drom Outer Space
>Sleazy 80's comedy/horror, it's got the best script for a slasher I've ever seen. The casualties are endlessly creative (obviously, in the semantic realm of clowniness), and the one liners flow freely. Not a great or immortal movies, but I know for certain there are far, FAR worse ways to spend 80 minutes. Heartily recc'd.
>>
>>36222121
Way to miss the point, anon.

>Erasing personal history and dreaming should only be a help. What any apprentice needs to buffer him is temperance and strength. That's why a teacher introduces the warrior's way, or living like a warrior. This is the glue that joins together everything in a sorcerer's world. Bit by bit a teacher must forge and develop it. Without the sturdiness and levelheadedness of the warrior's way there is no possibility of withstanding the path of knowledge.

>In order to help erase personal history three other techniques are taught. They are: losing self-importance, assuming responsibility, and using death as an adviser. Without the beneficial effect of those three techniques, erasing personal history would involve the apprentice in being shifty, evasive and unnecessarily dubious about himself and his actions.

>By now there is no way for you to recollect the immense effort that you needed to establish self-pity as a feature of your island. Self-pity bore witness to everything you did. It was just at your fingertips, ready to advise you. Death is considered by a warrior to be a more amenable adviser, which can also be brought to bear witness on everything one does, just like self-pity, or wrath. Obviously, after an untold struggle you have learned to feel sorry for yourself. But you can also learn, in the same way, to feel your impending end, and thus you can learn to have the idea of your death at your fingertips. As an adviser, self-pity is nothing in comparison to death.
>>
>>36224055
Thank you, anon, for making my point clear beyond my expectations. Do you feel, too, the wieght of some existentialist ideas (I'm thinking Heidegger, now) in Castaneda's writings?
>>
Please, bump. Give a chance to yourselves.
>>
File: 33.jpg (25KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
25KB, 680x383px
>>36224525
My personal bridge to Carlos Castaneda's writings is gnosticism.
I'm a dummy anon, I can't get interested in anything that's purely intellectual or what I feel is intellectual masturbation. I'm just incompatible with philosophical approaches to life. I don't think there's anything down there, it feels like a well. I felt like that during philo classes back in high school. I tried to read Kierkegaard many times and had to come the conclusion that I'm too dumb to even gather the energy to process what he writes.

But I think that the concepts of memento mori, self-importance, self-pity personal history and many others as they are presented by Castaneda are very refreshing. They have a practical, tangible feeling to them. It just speaks to me on a deep level.

If robots tried to read a few of the key points of those books I'm sure some of them would get their almonds activated in a way that would benefit them. I think there's a book "the wheel of time" that is basically bullet points of the most important teachings. Some of those points can also be found on this website: https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/esp_donjuan2.htm

For those that aren't feeling it I think Jordan Peterson's lectures are also very accessible and can really shake the fuck out of you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50FbeazFkgs
>>
>>36222092
Ever seen Italian Spiderman or Danger 5? The soundtracks are heavily inspired by this kind of music and they're funny as fuck.
>>
File: cover.jpg (549KB, 2272x1142px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
549KB, 2272x1142px
I've been listening to this lately and it's been helping me get through the day. I usually find myself going back to more tame jazz since free jazz usually riles me up.
>>
>>36225419
What do you mean by gnosticism?

Anyway, I've been reading a few of his later books and, for what's worth, we think about it in much the same way - a philosopher with an incredibly down to earth approach (and exposition) to his concepts. I urge everyone to look up his books, I don't think any of them is unavailable through pdfs.

I've yet to start Tales of Power, what do you think?

>>36225422
Yes, they are. Luckily enough, I'm Italian so I can see this kind of stuff with no problems. Please, do look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMaA1HqXS5A
>>
Bumperinello
>>
File: jQiZJSg.gif (191KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
jQiZJSg.gif
191KB, 640x360px
>>36225600
>What do you mean by gnosticism?
I mean gnosticism as in our lives are a collective dream and we're being milked by entities above us in the food chain? As in, this world, this body are a prison. Think "The Matrix", except it's not about silly machines.

>I've yet to start Tales of Power, what do you think?
I'm at The Eagle's Gift. I'd say the writing becomes more dry, less fluid during The Second Ring of Power, but maybe that's just my feeling. But it's still interesting. It's not like I'm going to drop it anyway. I have the entire collection, physical volumes.

While I'm at it I also recommend the movie Revolver. Badly rated because people simply don't have the keys to read it. If you watch it pay especially close attention to what Avi says. If The Matrix didn't have cyberpunk icing and fancy CGI it would have flopped too.

Anyway goodnight I'm wasted. It's 4:05am here in France.
>>
>>36225600
Yeah, this music's pretty good, definitely bookmarking it for later. Thanks man!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.