[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the point of society when the inevitable heat death

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

File: 1484155624793.jpg (117KB, 938x470px) Image search: [Google]
1484155624793.jpg
117KB, 938x470px
what's the point of society when the inevitable heat death of the universe is going to render everything pointless?
>>
File: 1481849344371.jpg (874KB, 1750x2482px) Image search: [Google]
1481849344371.jpg
874KB, 1750x2482px
The point of everything is simple: suffering must go on
>>
>>36181928
Comon lad humanity (or at least singularity AI) would have figured out a way to survive this by then.
>interdimensional travel
>existing beyond time/space
>creation of new universe
>extend life of current universe
>>
>>36182018
but who's to say that any of that stuff is even feasible?

what if this is the only universe we've got?
>>
>>36181928
That's literally billions of years in the future. We have more urgent matters, like in the next few thousand years, what the fuck is Humanity going to do? Earth is going to shit, it's not a meme, we do need to colonize Mars eventually.
>>
File: IMG_3506.jpg (92KB, 750x430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3506.jpg
92KB, 750x430px
>>36182026
Not that guy, it likely isn't the only universe we've got.
>>
We'll blow each other up before we ever come any close to that
>>
>>36182018
Actually I had an epihpany of this when I was taking drugs, our current universe was created by ourselves trillions of years ago and as a species we're destined to rebirth our own universe over and over ad infinitum
>>
>>36182026
Well I'd put my money on the multi-verse theory. With current tech we can't even see the edge of our own universe. In time I think we will, then eventually we will be able to see beyond into other ones. Of course it is unlikely I'd ever get paid out but I think I'd be right in 500-2,000 years hahaha
>>
By the time the sun expands enough we'll most likely be travelling the universe and unironically seeing alien lifeforms, probably find planet(s) just like Earth and live on them.

Sadly the most likely thing is some retard just starts nuclear warfare and 90% of the population dies over some stupid bullshit and the rest slowly dwindle down until it's all over
>>
>>36182138
>He thinks we'll actually be traveling around the galaxy
Interstellar travel is a myth, it will never be possible in a conventional and useful way.
>>
File: mabRf.jpg (276KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
mabRf.jpg
276KB, 2048x1366px
babby's first existential crisis
time for you to pick up some philosophy, I recommend starting with Albert Camus' Myth of Sissyphus and going up from there
If you're a millennial that doesn't give a shit about books YouTube search crash course philosophy, it's good shit.

One thing I've noticed is that if you really think about it, everything boils down to emotions.
Why do you want a gf? To not "feel" lonely? Why do you want money? To buy shit that makes you "feel" good, such as video games and stuff? Why do people want their dream jobs? To "feel" complete and satisfied with their work? As it stands, the heat death theory is the most probable end game since we currently have no way to make energy out of nothing, not in quantifiable amounts at least. Therefore, we really are just building castles of sand - only to be washed away with the high tide. Bill Gates sure does have a mighty castle which will be remembered for much longer than yours or mine, but shit - it really is pointless. Find something you enjoy doing and stick with it, I haven't yet though it just might be microbiology.
Good luck robot.
>>
>>36182173
Imagine telling a roman that we've managed to travel to the moon. It would be impossible for them to comprehend! The same goes for us; 2,000 years in the future is hard to imagine wtf would have been developed by then
>>
>>36182275
>Imagine telling a roman that we've managed to travel to the moon
While I see your point, technology isn't something that infinitely evolves (unless you're just a really big fan of sci-fi in which case hey I feel ya). I, along with many people smarter than I, believe that there is no technology in the foreseeable future that is capable of interstellar travel.
>>
>>36181928
>he believes in the heat death
I thought you atheists hated religion? Lol
>>
>>36182330
Fair point but
>foreseeable future
Thats only like what, 1,000 years if that lmao. Plus when the singularity hits no one knows wtf kind of insane science-magic will come about. Sci fi is kickass
>>
>>36182078
I wonder if they knew it would be this terrible. Or even if it's not terrible, that simply existing would be so disquieting.
>>
>>36183126
>Muffled "be yourself bro" echoes through time and space
>>
>>36181928
Why is the girl in the pic sad?
>>
>>36182173
as of now it isnt. Who says humans will not develop ways to expand their life cycle beyond limits.
FTL travel or teleportation might be a meme but space colonization is absolutely doable
>>
>becom meguca
ddadefiti32
>>
>read the wikipedia article timeline of the far future
>"new universe could be created etc"
>realize nature/reality recycles itself
>start to wonder if that goes for consciousness too
>like, what if you die and then after a long ass time (which for you is instant) your consciousness pops up again

Please don't let it work this way.
When I die, I want nothing.
I want emptiness.
I don't want to exist forever and ever.
>>
>>36181928
This sounds like my sophomore year anon. I figured, what the hell was the point of any of this? I felt really alone. I would look around and feel such strong loneliness because it felt like everyone else had life "figured" out.

It sucks now but you will get through it and learn that you can see the universe in many different ways, this is hard part now but you will eventually get there.
>>
>>36182330
>While I see your point, technology isn't something that infinitely evolves (unless you're just a really big fan of sci-fi in which case hey I feel ya). I, along with many people smarter than I, believe that there is no technology in the foreseeable future that is capable of interstellar travel.

You don't know that, you have no idea if it's possible, so you can't be depressed about it.
>>
File: flatcircle_orig.jpg (48KB, 700x404px) Image search: [Google]
flatcircle_orig.jpg
48KB, 700x404px
>>36183408
shit is terrifying, when will the madness end?
>>
>>36181928
you do realize heat death of the universe is nothing more then a hypothesis right?
>>
>>36183537
Technically it is a theory.
>>
dude i just turned 18 lmao

nihilism lmao
>>
>>36182051
>Earth becomes shitty
>Spend billions of dollars to get a few people to an EVEN WAY SHITTIER planet and live there

Earth will never get fucked up so much that it's anywhere near as bad as mars
>>
>>36181928
There isn't one. That's it. Every day you keep living is a choice you make to just say 'fuck it' and keep going. You have biological instincts you can't avoid.
>>
>>36183910
Fuck off /sci/ I'm tired of this argument. It's imperative to humanity's long term survival that some of us spread to other planets.
>>
Finding purpose for ourselves is just what humans do, or at least what most of us want to. Obviously the universe doesn't give a damn and won't be around forever, but we'll all be long dead by then, so too bad for the last generation before it happens.
>>
>>36182138
>>36182173
>>36182275
>>36182330
>>36183340
>Le space travel meme
There is absolutely no reason for humans to expand into space in the near future. In a few decades most wealthier humans will upload their conciousness on a supercomputer, where they will live indefinetly long in a perfect, simulated nirvana (either together or everyone ruling as a god in their own simulation). Only 3rd world niggers and other poor people will be left to rot on "real earth", while it gets managed by AI (assuming we don't get a skynet scenario).
There is no point in going into space, when you can chill forever in a perfect simulation.
>>
>>36183996
You mean other solar systems, brainlet.
The problem is the sun, as it will die eventually. Mars will become inhospitable when earth does, so going to mars is a waste of resources. Before we can travel to other solar systems interplanetary travel is just a stupid meme.
>>
>>36184030
>le brain upload meme
You mean a copy of your mind may live in a simulation.
>>
>>36183408
don't worry, you won't even notice
>>
File: 1486953373575.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
1486953373575.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
>>36184080
Mars is the first step to interstellar travel. The technology for space travel between solar systems won't make itself. A colonization effort on Mars is not the end destination, it's the first step
>>
>>36182138
I want to die in a nuclear detonation. Especially from an ICBM arcing down. It would be the most beautiful thing I ever saw in person. I don't want to die of cancer or heart failure or sepsis or something else dirty and wretched. I don't want to go senile or demented or brain-damaged from a stroke. And I want to be cremated anyway. Bring on the fucking nukes. I'm right in the middle of the third largest city in this increasingly totalitarian warmongering empire-nation anyway, bring it on.
>>
>>36184434
this
just bomb my country already
>>
What's wrong with YOU that you'd ask such a ridiculous question? You got your frame of reference ENTIRELY wrong.

Your life is meaningful on the scale of YOUR LIFE. Sort yourself out.
>>
>>36182006
Glad to see a fellow gnostic
>>
>>36181928
I think you've got a bit of time left before the heat death, you may instead worry about our sun killing us in its inevitable expansion...
Just a thought.
>>
>>36184527
but we can avoid that by moving locations

the heat death is unavoidable
no turning back
>>
>>36183294
kek

>>36182254
>not exploiting flaws in the simulation with EM drive farms to create infinite energy

I wonder how long we have until this gets patched
>>
>>36184638
Still, I don't think you'll be around by the time heat death is a thing, or even humanity at all...
After all, I've read somewhere that black holes will emit radiation for more than 10^100 years, so we're not really on the clock on that one.
And about moving...we haven't found a single planet truly habitable yet. Maybe it will happen in the near-ish future, but even moving to that place would be quite the challenge.
>>
>>36184080
>>36184638
>when our sun burns out we can just move to a new one!

>when the rain soaks through our tree we can just move to a new one!
>>
>>36184758
we would obviously move before it burns out
>>
>>36184901
>Implying humanity doesn't turn back to the stone age in 100 years
>>
>>36184100
>What is ship of theseus applied to human brain
You're constantly dieing anyways, regardless of wether your "clone" ends up on a computer or just a different brain
>>
>>36184901
the point is that no new stars are being formed, except maybe through collision of other stars

all the stars are burning out right now, and once the largest star is gone that's it

we can't just keep moving forever
>>
>>36184224
Going to mars doesn't help at all in developing futuristic spacetravel. If anything it's bad, because we could use the resources we waste for mars to develope better technology sooner.
>>
>>36185120
what do you think the heat death of the universe is?
>>
>>36182060
>spontaenous entropy decrease

>mfw slightest, most minute probability that the universe may one day come together again

Thats kinda comforting
>>
>>36185113
Well that's nice, but I don't see the point of creating a copy of me that's happy as a program on some server,
That computers gonna break down sometime, ship of Theseus also applies to computers so it doesn't even help in that aspect.
>>
>>36181928
To enjoy the moments that you are conscious.
Why does something need to be permanent for it to serve a point?
>>
>>36185839
It doesn't serve a point. You added the point to it afterwards to ease yourself.
>>
File: IMG_1032.jpg (121KB, 480x608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1032.jpg
121KB, 480x608px
>>36181928
origibrbfrgcsrg
>>
>>36185856
It does though. It's point is to bring order and ease burdens in our short existences. That is the reason we created it, and thus it's point.
>>
>>36182060
Reading this makes me feel happy and safe.
>>
A point I like to bring up that I've seen on here before, though I knew about the issue a long time before that. If there are more "universes", what about the ones where people are tortured for eternity just for fun? Elliot Rodger might do it, for instance. If life is simulated who's stopping him from doing such things? Just saying.
>>
>>36185814
If theres no point in a copy-you living on, then why don't you kill yourself? the atoms in your brain are replaced regularly, so you're constantly dieing and a copy-you lives on in your body.
>>
>>36184030
So who makes sure this simulation goes on forever? If not, what if it takes more time to set up than you have inside it? And why would anyone want to live in a world where everyone else is fake? If he were truly a god wouldn't he realize it? Well, I suppose it wouldn't matter much, if he didn't. I mean it's impossible to verify. Maybe it's true huh?
>>
>>36181928
Because Chads determine what's cool, and thinking about that shit is most certainly not cool
>>
File: nt4.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
nt4.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>36186090
I think I would kill myself if I were more emotional and I were suffering more, thing is life's just treating me easy.
So I don't have a whole lot of incentive to go through the trouble of killing myself.
Tough if i had a button I could press and I'd go to null instantly and my corpse was left I'd probably just press it.

How about you, what's your answer?
>>
>>36186071
the simulation starts at the beginning of the universe, so the torture society would have to have evolved somehow in a way that lead to this, which I don't really see happening

>>36186090
good point

>>36186173
you wouldn't have to realize it

you could be reincarnated in different lives over and over and erase your memory each time

also, time can run at an accelerated rate within the simulation, so even if maintenance fails you still live for close to an eternity
>>
>>36186316
>the simulation starts at the beginning of the universe

You mean to tell me we are at the beginning of our own universe, wherein we would begin to set up this simulation soonish, or something?

Also, all that's needed for this torture society to evolve is for people to realize that they've been duped, that their world is a lie, that the people on top keep them on bottom so that they can be on top. Or, rather, a sufficiently powerful person who feels that way, and instigates such torture on a massive scale.
>>
>>36185974
It being life, not the point itself. Making the point of your point itself is redundant.
>>
>>36181928
You sound very wicked and nihilistic
>>
>>36186393
I don't envision that our universe is simulated by future humans. the physical limits of our computers make it unlikely, and indeed impossible; a computer cannot simulate itself, therefore or universe must be hosted in a larger universe, probably with more dimensions and more relaxed physical laws. if our universe is deterministic, as many believe, and adheres to a unified theory of physics, then it would trivial to simulate just by setting up initial conditions and then letting it all go, following simple deterministic rules.

the initial configuration of matter in the singularity can be tweaked one way or another to change how the dominoes fall; perhaps a testing algorithm could run a universe over and over and then change change this configuration to select for sentience, or whatever the aim of the simulation might be. maybe your torture society is not a desirable outcome and would never be computed.

in the end of course, we just don't fucking know, but I find it as good as any other origin theory and it helps explain some things like quantum physics and the EM drive.
>>
To get that Alien pussy son

everything else is an excuse
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.