[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I'm going to join the Army. My life is going nowhere.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

I think I'm going to join the Army. My life is going nowhere. I hate my job, my wife of 5 years is a stranger and I'm pretty sure she's cheating on me. I'm looking for a drastic change in life, and I don't want to outright leave my wife unless I catch her dead to rights cheating on me. I figure the time in basic and whatever deployment will give me new experiences and kinda put my home life in perspective. I'm not terribly out of shape, I surf and I hike quite often, so I'm not worried about the physical aspect. I just don't want to be seen as running away, my family has a history of serving, and I feel like I'm missing a huge chunk of my life by not having served yet. I heard y'all are the place to post shit like this so I just wanted to get that off my chest and maybe a perspective or two I hadn't considered yet. Thanks in advance.
>>
File: 1826547823.png (660KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1826547823.png
660KB, 1106x1012px
>>36156420
You should kill your wife and then yourself.
>>
>>36156438
Naw, that's too easy. As shitty as my lot has been recently, I really enjoy life and want to see just how shitty things can actually get.
>>
File: 1485483535172.png (568KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485483535172.png
568KB, 960x720px
>>36156471
>wife
Have you ever thought of GETTING THE FUCK OUT YOU NORMIE
>>
Divorce your wife before you go in or you will regret it because it becomes a LOT harder

Also the military won't magically fix your life, and if you've been married for 5 years it's pretty safe to say you're closer to 30 than 20 so have fun getting bossed around by 19 year olds with a power boner

As someone who has been in, I would honestly not recommend anyone who's "made it" in the outside world and has lived it for a few years as an adult. Your life will significantly become worse at your age
>>
>>36156508
I don't normally post here, I typically lurk /ppl/ and /k/ but, if I'm not mistaken y'all are the containment board for self loathing and feeling shitty. I'm not some dick coming through to brag, I genuinely want an uninvolved party's perspective on a shitty situation.
>>
>>36156549
Divorce isn't an option unless I have her dead to rights cheating on me.

I'm not too concerned about kids bossing me around, authority is authority and seniority in a position is something to be respected.

I'm 27 years old and I feel like my clock is ticking on serving. I my it makes any difference, I'm a low voltage electrical tech by trade and I was looking into joining the army to work on comms equipment.

I appreciate the input, thank you for being honest and to the point.
>>
>>36156627
I mean if you REALLY want to serve, I don't see how I can talk you out of it. Like I said, your life will only degrade in quality by going in - military is a young man's game for directionless young adults.

You've already skipped all those steps so Idk why you'd want to dive straight back into a shit sandwich where you'll probably take a pay cut + move around a lot + be in a desert shit hole for months on end with nothing to do.
>>
>>36156662
I definitely feel directionless right now. I feel like my entire life up to this point has been wasted. I have nothing of value to show for the last 10 years of my life. I have no degree, no major certifications, no house or hope of buying one. I don't see kids as an option anywhere in the future. I'm working a dead end job that's the really bearing fruits and probably never will. I've tried going back to school for a semester but just quit because it got to be too much with trying to balance work and a crumbling home life. I dont really expect things to get better regardless, but I feel like the Army would at least help to regain my pride in myself and instill a bit of discipline.
>>
>>36156739
Looks like I can't talk you out of it, so I hope you have a good time.

But if you do join, and in a few years you're going out on an extra patrol, been awake for 48+ hours in 110+ heat without a shower or decent meal and you think to yourself "Holy shit why the fuck did I join. This is NOTHING like I imagined it to be. Civilian life was much better" I want you to imagine a smug pepe (me) telling you that I told you so

Or maybe you'll have fun and be super soldier
>>
>>36156627
27 isn't too old. I was at Sandhurst with 27-28 year olds. I'm currently 26 and I'm a young officer (2Lt) and just passed pre para selection so there shouldn't be anything stopping you

There's a lot of bullshit, but I suppose it does give you "direction" in a sense...
>>
>>36156420
Do you really want to be a dog of the globalists and imperialists? That's the only people you'll be serving.
>>
>>36156847
What are the costs like living in the barracks? I'm not planning on bringing any baggage along and I don't mind sharing a room or dealing with a lack of space. My whole plan if I commit to this is to spend as little as possible for the duration of my service, what has your experience been? What could I expect immediately following boot camp?
>>
>>36156877
Honestly, I'm their dog either way. Even living the NEET life, I'd be serving them in some way. In my current job, I'm serving them. I don't mind doing it directly, and I'd at least be getting some form of self improvement and discipline out of it.
>>
>>36156898
Well I live in the officers mess at Merville Barracks and I pay 180 pounds a month. On top of that I pay mess bills which are for food and coffee and random other things which is usually 150-200 a month. The room isn't that bad, I have a little ensuite which isn't great but it does the job. The soldiers accommodation is pretty much the same except the rooms are a tiny bit smaller, and they pay half the price.

Following "boot camp" (phase 1 training in the British army) you go to phase 2 training where you learn your trade/whatever branch of the army you are joining (infantry, cavalry, REME, artillery, engineers, etc). After that you turn up to regimental duty and life begins. Sitting around cleaning and maintaining kit all day, organising stores, doing PT in the mornings, getting the fuck out of camp during weekends. That's life really. The occasional exercise or trip happens as well.
>>
>>36156898
>What are the costs like living in the barracks?

Barracks are free and if you're not stateside you'll get "barracks" (lol) as well as BAH which will pay for your monthly rent
>>
>>36156953
>you have to pay when you're forced to live somewhere
Wtf
>pounds
Ahhh that explains the extra jewing
>>
>>36156973
That's awesome, I'm pretty sure I could get used to that.

If you know, what are some MOS' that most people don't consider at first or that have interesting/useful skills?
>>
>>36157053
There's too many MOS for me to list, just google it (Everything's online as well as a list of lies about the job you'll be doing). I'm sure you'll find something you wouldn't mind doing 10% of the time while the other 90% is spent cleaning
>>
>>36156991
>>you have to pay when you're forced to live somewhere

Yeah it's fucking shit. It used to be that food and accommodation was provided. Yeah, not any more. And the civilian contractors that do the messing (feeding and serving etc) are cunts. "Not in the contract" is their favourite phrase
>>
here is a rundown on how it went for me. Joined at 19. Infantry. Basic sucked (supposed to i guess). Married wife on leave before unit assignment. Get to station. Sucks. play pony show for 2 weeks. Assigned to unit. Sucks. Everyday (while in deployment rotation) is 4+ hours of uniform soaking exercise minimum. Sucks (looked like a greek god though). after 2 months i get a place off base move my wife up. Not sucks. 2 months later wake up after sleeping 20 straight hours over the ocean and various stops (sleeping pills while riding civilian aircraft). don't remember any of it. station in shithole sand crater. Sucks. Ride the roads in the worst vehicle for the job (Humvee). Best Friend burns alive in the truck in front of me. Sucks. Mutilate triggerman. Tiny bit better. find maybe 30 IEDS pre-explosion. 100+ go off on the vehicles. Sucks. See arms, legs, testicles. any previously attached part of the human body detached. Sucks. Get out of military. (End of Contract/ Honorable) Try to find employment. Best pay i got was from min. wage gas station. Sucks. Brain implodes over the course of the next year. Diagnosed with TBI, PTSD, Schizophrenia. Force to diability. (For the Sake of the Public Interest, as written in my VA file.)
Sucks. Moral: Doesn't work the way YOU want it to, Only the way THEY want it to. alot of details have not been added as i'm sure most of 4chan will just will respond with shit i laugh at as i have no life and have only been cleared to stay away from more than 5+ person crowds. Have been "advised" that my wife should make all public excursions on my behalf. Sucks.
>>
>>36157521
>4 hours of PT every day

Holy fucking shit bro, I'm in an elite unit in the British Army and we only do three 1 hour PT sessions a week.
>>
you should probly step that up a bit. i really don't wanna know your 2 mile runtime, but i'll ask anywyas. what is it?
>>
File: 1438734830592.jpg (110KB, 724x844px) Image search: [Google]
1438734830592.jpg
110KB, 724x844px
Im literally in the army man. do you have any questions at all about joining or actually serving. I can answer them my friend.
>>
oh great. here comes the kitchen staff to give "expert advise"...
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.