[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /r9k/, /g/ here. How many of you dudes using GNU/Linux?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1491753035957.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1491753035957.png
105KB, 883x1024px
Hello /r9k/, /g/ here. How many of you dudes using GNU/Linux? If you do, what distro are you using and for what reason and why not Windows?

Thanks
>>
>>36156007
Parrot Linux, but i made a dual boot with windows. So i use both
>>
>>36156074
cool, what DE are you using? I heard that GNOME is absolute shit
>>
File: 1491074599017.jpg (49KB, 846x468px) Image search: [Google]
1491074599017.jpg
49KB, 846x468px
>>36156007
I use linux mint because i am a huge fucking faggot and need those ubuntu special repositories and i am too lazy for setting them in debian
I use it because is comfy and i am tired of reinstalling windows 7 on a 3GB of ram machine that once the shit starts piling up it becomes unbearably slow

Also don't think you will get a lot of answers because /r9k/ is filled with newfags and normalfags.
>>
Arch linux and fluxbox WM. Started using linux back when I was an edgy 15 year old and have no reason to use anything else at this point.
>>
>>36156088
The DE is based on MATE
>>
Arch linux + i3 here.
I switched about 3 years ago because I learned about the NSA and shit. Also I like tinkering with Computers.
Now I hate windows with a passion as it always feels slow, overly complicated in it's OS structure, bloated and restricing not to mention it spying on it's users.
>>
Windows 10, cause I'm not on the spectrum.
>>
Debian with i3 -- easier to develop on than Windows.
>>
>>36156007
I use Linux distros often enough as VMs just so I don't shit up perfectly good machines with using them as the base installation.
>>
>>36156345
>thinking that state actors haven't found at least dozens of remote exploit 0-days for Linux by now

Besides, if they want what you have the state can just come and take your computer. Your security is an illusion. Enjoy.
>>
File: BzbFfITCYAEzBfb.jpg (21KB, 362x362px) Image search: [Google]
BzbFfITCYAEzBfb.jpg
21KB, 362x362px
>>36156345
>tfw don't want the NSA to snoop on me but too retarded to use Linux

Link me some learning materials pls. I hate Windows. Also it is true that you have to fix Linux from time to time?
>>
>>36156521
You have to fix Linux all the time and there's no support besides years old forum posts that aren't quite what you need.

Maybe learn how to use Windows instead of thinking you know all the details of Windows because you're "good with computers."

Also just boot up a Linux in VirtualBox/whatever and try it out you stupid faggot shitgodIfuckinghateyou
>>
>>36156521
And also Linux is much more vulnerable than its advocates will ever admit. Remember that big old heartbleed bug? It was a package that everyone uses and should have been checked hundreds of times. Hundreds of those serious bugs are just lurking and probably known by the big guys.

You're not safe from the NSA and they don't care about you. Quit being weird and act less like a terrorist.
>>
>>36156591
>le you have nothing to hide meme

Damn Schomol, try harder next time
>>
>>36156620
Enjoy your Room 101 when they come to round up the freaks then.
>>
File: compare.jpg (85KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
compare.jpg
85KB, 720x480px
>>36156591
It's probably true, but having Linux installed would make it much harder to do so. It's like the difference between being a big red dot and a red pixel. You'll most likely only be found if a serious attempt was made - which, unless you're a major threat, is probably not likely to happen.

And even if I was wrong, you could still be borderline invisible to non-three-letter organizations that wouldn't have access to tools nearly as good as theirs, which is still desirable.
>>
I used to use Ubuntu and Arch. Got tired of all of the effort it takes to get simple shit to run - things that you just take for granted on other OSes. Went to Windows 10 and haven't looked back.
>>
Winblows fag here, what's the best Linux distribution without systemmd? I don't care much about access ability, I just want an end-all-beat-all type os to be comfy with.
>>
>>36156827
True, but if you know what you're doing you can use Windows and have the safety of Linux. Putting a security device between you and the outside network can make things pretty fucking secure, like someone would be much better off just stealing your computer.

Knowing how to use firewalls and the types of security devices out there that you can put on your network is great.

There's a reason major companies and huge enterprise environments can deploy Windows securely even with thousands of clients to administer.
>>
>>36156007
Debian masterrace! I've used Fedora and CentOS a ton too though, both really good.

I use awesomeWM on top of gnome. I can only recommend awesomeWM, it's super fast and switching to your other applications is just insanely fast. Love it.
>>
>>36156007
i have dualboot with Win7 and Debian.
started using Linux to have control over my system and understand IT more in depth.
would like to do Linux from Scratch one day to learn how the internals work
>>
>>36156916
how about macOS
>>
arch
don't play games anymore so windows is virtually useless
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.