[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am i me and why are you yourself? like how are we conscious

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (156KB, 952x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
156KB, 952x600px
Why am i me and why are you yourself? like how are we conscious and if it happens once will it happen again after billions and billions of years, or does it probably just happen once
>>
>>36150581
If you had a mathematical equation that could fully describe and simulate a universe, you could simulate conscious creatures in that universe, and as far as those creatures are aware, their universe would be real, even though to us they would just be mathematical symbols.

Really activates those almonds, huh?
>>
>>36150581
Like you said, it happened once, it could happen again
>>
because you touch yourself originally at night
>>
>>36150581
It has already happened and it will happen again.
>>
File: IMG_1604.png (82KB, 1108x1009px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1604.png
82KB, 1108x1009px
>>36150581
Pic related is how I believe it works. Just a never ending cycle.
>>
>>36150775
that's totally untrue. You'd just have symbols in a book lacking their meaningful content
>>
File: IMG_3506.jpg (92KB, 750x430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3506.jpg
92KB, 750x430px
>>36150581
>all atoms in the universe condensed into ball of matter
>matter explodes into space
>floating so quantum forces are acting on it
>engage wave function
>no real conscious observers to collapse wave function
>many worlds, all possible actions happen
>quantum immortality, you eventually end up in the timeline that grants you immortality
>time passes
>entropy turns you into barely sentient mush probably
>quantum tunneling and fluctuations restart the process

Every man gets to be God. It'll happen over and over.
>>
It's possible to recreate the double slit test with planets given the right circumstances, pretty sure.
>>
>>36152174

Oh man, somebody drank the coolaid from "What the !@#$ Do We Know???"

The wave function collapses because the only way to interact with the electron is to fire other forms of energy at it, thus altering its state.

Nothing happens from the presence of a conscious observer.

If it WAS changed, just from the presence of a conscious observer?
We'd never witness the wave form to begin with, because we'd have to be observing it to see it.
>>
>>36152331
K.
All the better then, boyo.
>>
>>36151878
ive come to this conclusion myself, i think it makes sense. but life can exist with or without consciousness/sentience. we could die, then wake up as an extremophile at the bottom of the ocean for 200 years. how is your conscious, that used to be in your brain at 123 main street, now present in some baby mollusk, 50,000 miles away? where does one conscious go and the other come from
>>
>>36151878
>implying consciousness is anything more than the self and that death is more than a personal state of non-existence

nice try systemspace
>>
>>36152136
What meaningful content? A new reality would exist by the definition created, just because you or I can't interact with it doesn't mean it doesn't exist
>>
File: 1491376899754m.jpg (68KB, 1024x429px) Image search: [Google]
1491376899754m.jpg
68KB, 1024x429px
Explanatory gap!
>>
File: IMG_1368.jpg (47KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1368.jpg
47KB, 624x351px
>>36152523
Its easiest to think if conciousness as matter that is "awake" while all other matter is "asleep" and inert. When you die the matter that comprised your conciousness is now asleep and can ungergo any amount of changes over eons.

Since matter can't be created or destroyed it is possible that the matter that once comprised your conciousness to come into the state of being "awake" again.

However if this does occur it would take an unfathomable amount of time and not likely to occur on the same planet. The universe could go through another cycle of being destroyed and reborn before this happens.

It could happen anywhere, anytime and as anything.

Pic related is what you could be in your next life.
>>
You can only ever experience consciousness. Whatever arrangement of matter that makes you is all you can and will ever be.
>>
>>36152973
interesting. this is to say in order to observe "your" next physical consciousness/life, your old consciousness must physically comprise the conception of next.

but, given that so many of us are conscious, then the above explanation means there is some latent form of consciousness just lying around like water or litter, ready to become someone or something

i think its easier to say we are just a simulation.
>>
>The Egg, By: Andy Weir
|
|
(google ffs let me post)
>>
>>36152136
But consciousness arises from specific organizations of matter in the universe. So it would be alive in an abstract way (to us) in that universe that your function specifies, so long as your function includes a collection of matter that is organized to be conscious. It's a real abstract idea to think about, but if you think of it mathematically, it'll be pretty intuitive (but still fucking strange).
>>
>>36153649
consciousness is not a specific organization of matter. None of that is true

>>36152659
>describing a new universe is the same as creating one
>>
>>36153842
>consciousness is not a specific organization of matter.
How do you figure that, my dude?
>>
>>36154164
deduction. It's an irreducible property of all matter
>>
>>36154319
Yeah? So this sodapop that I'm drinking has conscious properties?
>>
File: oLsjmBe.jpg (82KB, 605x726px) Image search: [Google]
oLsjmBe.jpg
82KB, 605x726px
>>36150581
I once had this nightmare where I was being separated from my family. I thought about the billions of years of trial and error and random recombination that would need to happen before I could see them again.

The theme of reunion has run really deep in my psyche lately.
>>
The universe is a big brain, it is not conscious because it does not resemble the human brain, but it is the human brain that resembles the universe's ego. We are the points where the universe has become sentient, in the way that we imagine some super AI becoming sentient. All human lives are being experienced seperatly but by the same network, these experiences do not pass over because that would ruin the game. Our joys, our sufferings, everything we do is the universe playing with itself, in the same way you lose yourself in a movie the universe loses itself by becoming totally absorbed in its games.
>>
>>36154636
>I thought about the billions of years of trial and error and random recombination that would need to happen before I could see them again

Shit I've been thinking about this too. One of the reasons why I'm afraid to kill myself. What if instead of going to some permanent void or complete nonexistence, you just get kicked back to square one, completely lost and alone. Even the things I hate about my life were so finely crafted, they were personal, they were ME.

Also makes me really ruminate on all of my missed opportunities and regrets, because those situations, too, were completely unique, too complex to replicate, and might not ever occur again ever. I think I'll miss even the regrets themselves because they're a memory of what could have been.

It makes everything feel really fragile.
>>
>>36153351
isn't that what latent consciousness is? litter water?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.