[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to a job interview in IT >they roll out the whiteboard

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 1587.jpg (180KB, 3008x3306px) Image search: [Google]
1587.jpg
180KB, 3008x3306px
>go to a job interview in IT
>they roll out the whiteboard
>they ask me to write a heap sort algorithm
>spend 30 minutes staring at a blank board until they ask me to leave
>>
Yes? If you can't solve problems on whiteboards then you can remain a NEET
>>
Did they allow you to search what a heap sort is?
>>
>>36022242
what did they do for 30 minutes

why didnt you draw a dick
>>
Never heard of a heap sort, had to google it. Did they explain to you how it worked or did they expect you to know all about it on the spot and recall from memory?
>>
>>36022525
>>36022561
they basically gave me a 1 minute explanation about what it is then sent me to the board
>>36022530
probably laughed behind my back
>>
File: 1490394304993.png (7KB, 218x232px) Image search: [Google]
1490394304993.png
7KB, 218x232px
>>36022242

Im sorry to hear it didnt go well
We love you
>>
>>36022242
>Write blacklivesmatter on the entire board, top to bottom.
>Get hired

checkmate atheists
>>
Tell them job interviews are a sexist oppression tool by the patriarchy and you refuse to do them, because you are not a shitlord.

https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/technical-interviews-are-bullshit
>>
>>36022242
>Study fizz buzz for a job interview
>asks me to do a buzz fizz
>>
>decide to master summing prime numbers under 1 million
>asked to sum prime numbers under 10 million
>>
>>36022242
>programming during interview
what in the 3rd world shit hole is this?who the hell goes around memorizing sorting algorithms?should have told them to fuck off
>>
>>36022869
I guess they wanted OP to explain how to execute a heap sort.
>>
What kind of IT job was it?

Was it just data entry, tech support or were you actually applying for a coding job?
>>
File: IMG_20170216_131700.jpg (72KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170216_131700.jpg
72KB, 750x1000px
>final interview
>asked to draw my boss's fursona
>>
>>36022869
Heap-, Quick- and Mergesort are "you should know that"-tier.
>>
>>36022242
public class HeapSort
{
private static int[] a;
private static int n;
private static int left;
private static int right;
private static int largest;

public static void buildheap(int []a){
n=a.length-1;
for(int i=n/2;i>=0;i--){
maxheap(a,i);
}
}

public static void maxheap(int[] a, int i){
left=2*i;
right=2*i+1;
if(left <= n && a[left] > a[i]){
largest=left;
}
else{
largest=i;
}

if(right <= n && a[right] > a[largest]){
largest=right;
}
if(largest!=i){
exchange(i,largest);
maxheap(a, largest);
}
}

public static void exchange(int i, int j){
int t=a[i];
a[i]=a[j];
a[j]=t;
}

public static void sort(int []a0){
a=a0;
buildheap(a);

for(int i=n;i>0;i--){
exchange(0, i);
n=n-1;
maxheap(a, 0);
}
}

public static void main(String[] args) {
int []a1={4,1,3,2,16,9,10,14,8,7};
sort(a1);
for(int i=0;i<a1.length;i++){
System.out.print(a1[i] + " ");
}
}
}

output: 1 2 3 4 7 8 9 10 14 16
>>
>>36022907
Bubble sort, Selection sort and Insertion sort are also in that tier.
>>
>>36022869
If they don't ask you to programming during the interview, what else can they ask you?
>>
Had this asked once during an interview, I too fugged up. I at least wrote some shit out though, sperged out when I couldn't figure it out and then called the interview off lol.
>>
>>36022242
Nothing to do but go home, learn to write a heap sort from scratch with no reference material, and go out and try again someplace else.
>>
>>36022242
Is there any kind of computer-related career a brainlet who is shit at math but somehow good at programming regardless can do?
>>
>>36022934
>He doesn't know the difference between algorithm and code
>>
>>36022592

Well, what was the problem then? Cannot you write up a simple algorithm?
>>
>>36023010
WebDev comes to mind.
>>
>>36022962
what experiences you have,past jobs, internships,personal projects,etc...the stupid shit they asked OP could easily be done on the job,AKA GOOGLE and they know it.
>>
>>36023010
That you need to be good at math to be a good programmer is a huge myth. Those two usually come together because being a brainlet hurts definitely.
>>
>>36022242
OP is fake and gay.
sage
originnnaal
>>
>>36023010
geeksquad member
>>
I've read what a heap sort is.

Sorry, but frankly, if you cannot write pseudo code of it in THIRTY FUCKING MINUTES, you're worthless.

Pivot yourself into some other kind of job ASAP.

I had questions like this on my MIDDLE SCHOOL, CS exam.
>>
>>36023010
This is bullshit.
You only need algorithms for big 4 interviews since they have so many candidates and need a way of selecting them.
Any other SW company asking for algorithms has a retarded selection process and deserves to die due to applicant starvation.
>>
>>36023016
1. Use data to form a heap
2. remove highest priority item from heap (largest)
3. reform heap with remaining data

You repeat steps 2 & 3 until you finish all the data.

Is that better? lol
>>
>>36023211

What is a retarded person like OP going to do when he gets the job? He's clearly incompetent.
>>
>>36023222

No, he probably wanted you to use pseudo code, but it honestly doesn't matter if you use Java syntax instead
>>
>>36023054
That shit goes on a resume. They already knew that before op sat his ass down at the white board. Now they can hire a candidate that doesn't suck at programming. Asking candidates to solve problems is a way better assessment than to listen to candidates bullshit for half an hour about things they never did.
>>
>>36023104
No sage. Origami senpai
>>
What's an algorithm?
>>
>>36022242
Idiot, half the interview is communication, they probably didn't expect you to solve it but to ask questions and little by little solve it, like you do in teams in real life.
>>
>>36023840
Can confirm.

Source: The dozens of interviews I've asked people to write code in
>>
>>36023054
Funnily enough Google is one of the companies that places a huge emphasis on technical interviews.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.