[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A thought piece I have no desire to share with a more fitting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Dota_allstars_game.jpg (404KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Dota_allstars_game.jpg
404KB, 600x450px
A thought piece I have no desire to share with a more fitting board. What would the online gaming landscape look like today had Defence of the Ancients not taken off as it did?

Dota revolutionised the way games where played. Shifting the focus away from the traditional hard-skill twitch shooters of the quake and CS era. Gave rise to lol and the MOBA scene that has come to dominate the online scene. But what if it had not? What would 2017 look like?

Would the emergance of TF2 have eventually given rise to some manner of overwatch?

Would twitch shooters be for us what starcraft is for the gooks?

Would the traditional RTS still be a thing on a competitive level?

Would the online community such as it is, evolve? or would we still be stuck in that glorious early broadband clan-based age?
>>
are you looking at it from the competitive aspect?
cs:go is the best esport because even non-players can watch it and get what it's about
i feel like dota clones would be better if the player base was rid of all the kids.
>>
>>35973506
overall. I'm curious. Without the terminal mess that is comp level moba play would the normans have entered the picture even sooner?

After all csgo is easier for Chad Everyman to pick up and play then alol
>>
>>35973506
>cs:go is the best esport because even non-players can watch it and get what it's about
I don't like CS:GO but I fully agree with this. It's the most welcoming spectator sport because everyone can tell what's going on. There's no magic or abilities or arbitrary design features that confuse newcomers.

To be honest, I am more curious as to what competitive gaming/esports will look like once we get to a level where virtual reality technology is similar to The Matrix.
>>
>>35973506
I've played a lot of cs:go and dota. I really enjoy watching pro dota 2 tournaments but I was never really able to get into watching cs:go. When the camera is showing the player's perspective you're missing what is going on in the rest of the map and in a zoomed out view you're missing the skill that the player is actually demonstrating from the view point the game is played it.

In dota 2 it's easy to catch all of the action in the game from the top down view and I can understand what the player is doing because that's the view the game is played it. I started watching dota during ti3 and since then the camera men have gotten a lot better. They do a good job a keeping track of all lanes while doing things like switching Fog Of War on and off to show what the players can actually see while a play is going on an bringing up relevant graphs during down time.
>>
>>35973781
That's fair and I tend to agree. I like to have a wider picture when it comes to spectating fps games. The narrow focus would work for extreme twitch shooters though, you'd quickly loose focus watching a Q3A match without some kind of second display with an overhead of the map
>>
>>35973781
I think most FPS games these days have third person camera views for tourneys don't they? I've seen it for Overwatch at least. Though I will agree it still doesn't provide as much detail as the aerial view in League/DotA.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.