[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do so many Americans get on disability? I have bipolar disorder.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: welfare man.jpg (7KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
welfare man.jpg
7KB, 271x186px
How do so many Americans get on disability? I have bipolar disorder. I thought I could handle my job (it's hilarious, I'm actually a counselor and can't find another job). I have multiple meltdowns a week and often ditch work because of how crazy I get. Then some days I skip work b/c I feel like I can't even get out of bed. I am on medication, but because I was an alcoholic prior to getting on the meds, I'm told I probably can't get disability without somehow proving that my symptoms came from the alcohol. I never wanted to be an out-of-work loser, but I can't do this anymore, and I don't want to mentally harm any of my clients (adolescents) because of my own problems.
>>
Why do you say that there are so many Americans on disability?
>>
>>35904975
I'm a counselor. Where I live there is a rough 9% of people with disability. That's not a TON of people, but it's a lot. I have clients and client parents that I see on disability who absolutely don't need it.
>>
>>35904815
You have to already have quit or been fired. Also, find a disability calculator, 'cause if you're in private practice and used to making good money. It's not going to happen. I left a job and I went from 32k job to 16k.
>>
>>35904815
Well, I'm not in private practice, but I see you're point. I just went on one of those calculators and it said I'd make around 1600 a month. Not sustainable, especially around student loans... wait, what happens to student loans?
>>
>>35904815
Being on disability there needs to be a moment when work became unmanageable (you quit) defined as the moment of Disablement. From this point on is when you document your past medical history and issues. But to be honest if you haven't been hospitalized before it is not easy to get
>>
>>35906094
Ah, I didn't know that about hospitalization. I guess I should have. I have come close to hospitalization, but during manic phases and depressive phases. I tried to kill myself about 6 months ago, and my wife wanted me to go... but I chickened out. (I know I should have gone).
>>
>>35906374
I meant to say "during both manic and depressive phases."
>>
File: towelie.jpg (30KB, 226x400px) Image search: [Google]
towelie.jpg
30KB, 226x400px
>>35904815
Disability is fucking hard to get and there are not "so many Americans on disability" goofy ass. To get disability pay you have to have worked long enough to pay into the system to get a return. Also you have to be completely unable to return to the work you were employed at last and never again able to return to the field you had the most training in as a direct result of your specific illness.
>>
>>35906465
Again, to me 9% of the population is a lot. hmm.. I've worked for 6 years. Also, that's a good point about my field. It's melting me down though to the point that I don't think I would be capable of returning to it if I quit. Also, there is a thing called Temporary disability. I don't want to not work forever, just long enough to get back on my feet and find something I can do.
>>
>>35906525
>>35904815
It's not gonna happen , people who need that funding don't come to fucking /R9k/ for advice - there is more than enough legitimate information online and at the social security office so stop scheming and fucking grow some balls and get to work. There are seriously ill people who need that funding . But if you think you can get away with it please go for it and try - once you get into a jail cell for fraud you won't have to lift your ass and work and your dream will come true.
>>
>>35906525
Actually, nvm. Something else I should have known... I guess short-term disability is paid by the employer who expects the person to come back I guess. Damn, since I've always worked with kids I don't know a lot of this stuff. Damn, I guess I'm fucked. I've looked for a new job for 3 years now, figuring out immediately that I couldn't do this work. The only people who want me are hiring more counselors or will pay way to little, although now I wish I could have taken one of those "pay too little" jobs and try to make it work for a while.
>>
>>35906618
lots of people get disability for bipolar disorder... it's not fraud you moron. I'm constantly on the verge of getting hospitalized for my behavior, and I can't fucking help it when I'm super manic.
>>
>>35906525
>>35904815
Also 6 years isn't gonna do it - you need at least 10 lol - they give money to people who are really disabled and in the fucking hospitals and fighting for their lives but again , please go try so they can put your lazy ass in jail.
>>
>>35906683
No one goes to jail for getting disability for serious mental disorders. I think I mentioned already that I tried to kill myself when I was seriously depressed. My psychiatrist even took away the prescription sleep medicine b/c of the concern that I would purposely overdose. No one would go to jail for that.
>>
>>35906683
Should my schizophrenic uncle be in prison then b/c he gets disability and had to quit working when he'd only been working 2 years.
>>
>>35906715
Oh yeah, it was also my psychiatrist who first mentioned the prospect of leaving my job and getting on disability for a while because it's affecting my health so badly.
>>
>>35906746
>>35904815
lie more fagget.
grow some balls fucking crybaby.
>>
>>35906792
Meh, obviously you don't know much about mental health disorders.
>>
Disability money is fuck all, but once you have it, its very hard to lose, as opposed to say a job which can be taken away and then completely fuck you over cause there is no real safety net, at least in the US. OP you're fucked because you've already proven you can get a job and go to work, nothing you do now will help you get disability.
>>
>>35904815
Hmmm... do you have psychotic features with your bipolar? my sister is like that and she gets disability. She also got disability immediately after entering the workforce after a very embarrassing incident during a psychotic episode. No way you could force someone to work like that for 10 years, lol
>>
>>35906834
Yeah, that's what I'm learning. I have been on the verge of losing my job in the past due to my behavior. >>35906852
Mild ones. I see things like people glowing or smoke. I almost tore my office up today during a manic episode, and I left (without telling anyone) I think that's why I'm so jarred now.
>>
>>35906834
Then how is that other guy saying he'd need to work 10 years? I keep hearing that once you've been working for a while it's harder to get because yeah... you seem competent enough to have the job.
>>
Whelp, got to go anyway. Time to go see the psychiatrist... woot!
>>
>>35904815
If you have worked and paid into Unemployment Disability or whatever it's called it's pretty easy to get.

SSI Disability is next to impossible. You have to be REALLY disabled to even have a chance. My cousin has one arm, is mildly autistic, and is heavily asthmatic and he was denied. He empties the trash bins at a hotel now. He works 20 hours a week and makes minimum wage. He still has to depend on his mom.

Better than being dead tho
>>
>>35904815
Any kind of welfare in general is hard as fuck to get in the US and it's usually not that great
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.