[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the universe is only 13.772 billion years old This number

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: 1490099380271.jpg (189KB, 1154x692px) Image search: [Google]
1490099380271.jpg
189KB, 1154x692px
>the universe is only 13.772 billion years old

This number seems.... low. I was expecting so old that we couldn't even measure it
>>
>>35897962
"Our" universe is probably one universe out of quintrillions of universes
>>
thats only how old this reset has been silly
>>
>>35897962
do you have no concept of time op

watch cosmos, carl sagan will put it into perspective how long 14 billion years actually is
>>
>>35898003
it really doesn't seem like such a big number, it's not even close to a trillion. i mean humans are now 3 tril strong, and even animals like chickens outnumber us. maybe i'll watch cosmos though, it sounds fun
>>
That is counting from the big bang. Before that we don't have any concept of time.
>>
>>35897983
I like how you think anon.

Verified for originality
>>
>>35898031
>humans are 3 tril strong
what did he mean by this

also yes watch cosmos, but not the new one, watch the carl sagan one

you have to have the attention span for it, but if you do it will really put things into perspective
>>
>>35897962
Yeah it does seem low.
Anyways, you can trust there is something g fundamentally off about our understanding of wave energy.
But it actually explains why we are the only Alaina's
>>
>>35897962
14 billion is incomprehensible.
>>
Does anyone ever feel terrified by the vast complexity of the universe and the implications of its creation with the big bang. What is there that lies beyond our reality and universe? Its impossible that existence sprang forth out of nothing and yet thats a possible answer to the question of existence. Is there a god out there in the beyond or are we alone? Is this truly the end or simply one of infinite lives we live over and over, again amd again without realizing it?
>>
>>35898163
less than how much your mom weighs how bout that
>>
>>35898179

It's just one of an infinite number of universes expanding and contracting like bubbles in a giant infinite ocean.
>>
How is that possible?

Years didn't even exist until our planet formed and started orbiting the sun
>>
>>35898163
this

you really can't grasp how long of a time that is

humanity has only existed since maybe the mid-pliocene which is like over 2 MILLION years ago which is a small fraction of the cenozoic period which is still only a small fraction of the entire formation of the earth which is still only like a third of the time since the big bang

it's hard enough to even grasp the fact that the moon is THIRTY diameters of earth away from us; it looks like it's close but it's insanely far away

let alone the distances to the other planets, it's incomprehensible
>>
>>35898031
Idk about the old one the other anon mentioned, but the recent one I found to be fucking unwatchable

It was like watching high school biology videos or something, extremely boring if you already have any basis of understanding the world.

It's like science for retards
>>
>>35897962
Femshep and Liara were the absolute GOAT tier vidya romance.
>>
>>35898214
this is r9k so i won't hold you accountable for being a brainlet

but a year is still a consistent amount of time. i mean days technically change and so on, but there's an agreed upon set of time that constitutes a day and subsequently a year and we use that amount when we say how old the universe is

an earth year is arbitrary, we could use any set unit of time
>>
>>35898241
im that other anon

yes the new cosmos is bad, that's why i suggested to watch the old one instead
>>
It's only 6000 years old.
>>
>>35898246
my nigga

originadingdong
>>
File: 1489215910324.png (598KB, 673x680px) Image search: [Google]
1489215910324.png
598KB, 673x680px
>the universe is only 13.772 billion years old

Actually, that's a misconception. One that even well educated people fall into.

Let me give you a little bit of a glimpse into the true nature of your insignificance, and also your vast improbability, inside the boundary and conditional parameters of 'reality'. The observable universe is 13.7 billion years old, absolutely.

But outside the observable universe is a different story. The 'universe', in its entirety, may be infinite. And current best knowledge indicates it probably is. Both in age, and size. The observable universe we inhabit is just one tiny bubble of this infinitely vast 3 dimensional landscape. That in itself isn't what's so interesting, however. It's that the laws of physics in different parts of the universe may be drastically different to what they are here. If we were to restart our own universe, it would not come out with the same laws of physics that we have currently. They would likely be radically different. And with the expanding wall of everything constantly and infinitely exploding new pocket universes into existence with their own big bangs and then collapsing inwards, or outwards, depending on their physical laws, in the wake of the ever expanding horizon of reality, the universe itself is truly the very definition of incomprehensible.
>>
>>35898323
i still find it insane the observable universe (which is disgustingly sickeningly huge) can be 13bil. i was honestly expecting... several trillion at least.
>>
How do they know its 13 billion years old?

How did they find that shit ou?
>>
File: 1488429518676.jpg (46KB, 680x490px) Image search: [Google]
1488429518676.jpg
46KB, 680x490px
>>35898375
The elementary particles that make up your body are probably older than the fabric of 'existence' that you understand to be reality.

So, the age of the universe that we currently inhabit doesn't really come into play when talking about absolute age. Infinity is all you are, and all you can be. This form you hold is as temporary as it is infinite. As permanent as it is fleeting.

Your consciousness doesn't even exist within the purview of sleep, but we have no evolved mechanism to fear the loss of permanence of experience through sleep, and so cannot fear it.

You hold your form, but not for long. Enjoy what you may.
>>
>>35898375
>can't grasp 13bil
>disappointed that the universe isn't an even larger number he can't grasp
>>
>>35898421
They don't.

There's more truth in the book of genesis than most things (((scientists))) would have you believe.
>>
>>35898432

>tfw all this has happened before and will happen again and is happening right now an infinite amount of times and there's truly no escape.
>>
File: 1488425694820.jpg (185KB, 552x529px) Image search: [Google]
1488425694820.jpg
185KB, 552x529px
>>35898463
I dunno man, just accept it. It's not like you have control over it.

Find love, find experiences that heighten your emotional responses, be yourself.

In the vastness of legitimate infinity, beyond infinity, well beyond it, you're the only you that could ever be. The only particular you.

That's the only thing that you can be sure of. So, best be sure of it.
>>
>>35897962
We're good at measuring.
>>
File: praise it.jpg (187KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
praise it.jpg
187KB, 990x660px
>>35897962
You know, maybe I actually agree with you.

Our sun is supposed to be over 4 billions years old. And will apparently last another 5 or 6 billion years? So it has a life span of 11 billion years. The universe is only 2 billion years older than that?

Going by that, our sun is like one of the early generation stars. It's like if the human race only just came into existence 60 years before we were born, making us third or fourth generation human.
We're new. Maybe there aren't any intergalactic alien empires. Maybe there isn't much life in the universe at all, yet. Maybe we're early generation life.
>>
>tfw no 13 billion year old gf
>>
>>35898938
Every time you fap, you're actually fucking the universe.

This is doubly odd because the universe is also your mother.
>>
File: 1479262186229.jpg (69KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479262186229.jpg
69KB, 900x900px
>>35897962
>mass effect
get that homosex shit off my board
>>
File: 1490493335394.jpg (588KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490493335394.jpg
588KB, 1280x720px
>>35899180
dykes are the future
>>
>>35899306
>good more info option: i mean you're cute
>evil more info option: terraforming
Does she mean she gonna terraform that ass?
>>
File: 1479240934299.jpg (13KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
1479240934299.jpg
13KB, 253x253px
>>35899306
FUTURE CORPSE PILE
REEEEEEE
>>
>>35897962
NO ITS NOT ITS 6 THOUSAND YEARS OLD

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT

fuckin fedora tipers
>>
>>35898773
That's what I think too, but that doesn't mean there aren't a million other early suns with life. Space is a big place.
I'm also one of those people who think life is a common thing in places that possibly support it. Wouldn't shock me when they find life on mars, deep in venus, europa, titan etc.
>>
its all a load of shit the machines they use to measure are fundamentally flawed by their own bias
>>
>>35898773
>the universe is only two billion years older than the lifespan of our sun

u realize red giants live for potentially hundreds of billions of years so gauging whether or not our universe is old or not by comparing it to a star lifespan is not a good idea

14 billion is an incompressible amount of time as other people have said here, so it's nonsense to make any value judgements about the age of the universe
>>
>>35897962
if you're measuring from the big bang maybe. since things happen in cycles(at least in our laws of reality) so maybe there were previous big bangs.
>>
the question that is most mind boggling is "why is there something rather than nothing?" regardless of age, the fact that the universe (or multiverse or whatever) exists at all is remarkable.
>>
Infinite space is such a strange concept I just cant imagine how is that possible.
>>
>>35899696
that always tripped me out, but I guess maybe if there was "nothing" there were no rules and shit just starting appearing because no law. idk
>>
>>35899721
it would be much more mindboggling to me if space were finite
>>
>>35897962
It's not, it's even smaller when you realise that the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. Although It's like saying a 30 year old is old compared to a 10 year old.
>>
>>35899744
A new Plato was born.
>>
>>35898938
Old man by now, looks at younger sexier stars. I feel ya sun-sama
>>
>>35899750
Yeah, just it stops that would be some trippy fucking shit
Ibf minecraft farlands
>>
>>35897962
Try living 14 billion years then say it's "low".
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.