[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be a bit of a hoarder when it comes to computer files >end

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1358874089467.gif (965KB, 498x266px) Image search: [Google]
1358874089467.gif
965KB, 498x266px
>be a bit of a hoarder when it comes to computer files
>end up with dozens of HDDs
>keep all HDDs
>even those that are cooked or not really usable because "lol 400 megabyte capacity PATA HDD"
>in power-on, have a Seagate with 72k hours that still works
>end up calling it Deckard Cain
>some unrelated drive dies, had music on it
>eventually fetch offsite backup
>plenty of room on Deckard Cain
>put music on it
>open Winamp, randomize list
>starts playing Tristram Town from D1 OST

I'll stay awhile and listen, old friend.
>>
>>35896123
wheres the 400 meg hard drive from
>>
>>35896295
Singapore made Maxtor, manufacture date 1994.
>>
>>35896335
I mean did you take it from a computer or buy it
>>
>>35896123
>>starts playing Tristram Town from D1 OST
have listened to literally that (but d2 version) the last few hours, great piece of music
>>
>>35896358
It was from my dad's first computer, we weren't that rich growing up so it took a while for us to get into the electronics. I saved files from it when I was growing up, remembered stuff about school, it was nice. I thought I had more stuff on that drive, but the scale of "how much" information is changes pretty drastically.
>>
>>35896464
what was your dads first computer

you should fix it
>>
>>35896503
386, it got pretty much obliterated but the HDD was ok.
>>
>>35896560
how was it destroyed

lanigiro
>>
>>35896626
Water damage.

A lot of water damage.
>>
>>35896652
I bet if its dried out for a couple of years it may be worth while to see if it works
>>
i never played diablo
>>
>>35896724
I checked it before parting it out, it was fucked well beyond my skills.

Long gone now, nobody really around to care as dad died, mom doesn't computers, sister is hippie.

When I have a more stable place and can get some room for computer stuff, I'll build some old computers for Win 95 and WIn 98, mostly.
>>
>>35896123

I have a 10 meg 5.25 hdd in the closet somewhere. 400 megs of space was decent back then, he probably bought that unit separately to that 386, I recall dad bought a 486/66 around that time, it had a 270 meg drive.

Tristram is still a quality tune these days.
>>
>>35896781
does it have its original data on it

it could be worth while looking at it
>>
>>35896832
Yep, it's all good and saved (all that kind of info is three+ redundancy).

>>35896828
I think it was, not sure if we had an earlier drive. We got a 486 soon after the 386, but I do remember all our computers were built up and not prebuilt. I still remember all the hours my pa was on the phone with the technician from the store we got our parts at, trying to boot the thing and just get an OS to install. It was a long time ago, I think I remember less about the computer itself at that point and more about my dad.
>>
>tfw my home storage server is climbing up to 10TB

I justify it by being a member of a private torrent site for HD movies, but I know I have a problem
>>
Goodnight thread, I hope to read techfeels greentexts when I wake up.

>>35897161
>problem
As OP I guess it's fair to say that it's not really that big of a deal until you actively ask local computer hardware stores if they have boxes left over from HDD orders. Almost filled up a 25 drive shipping box with onsite drives not in computers, I'd have to tally it up but there's easily 60TB in there alone.
>>
>>35897368
If I could get drives that cheap I would. Just put them in RAID 1 for redundancy, plus another separate machine to back important stuff up one more time.

I live in the middle of nowhere though, I am the local computer repair man.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.