[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any robots like to use the word henceforth when they communicate

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1488552432437.png (43KB, 542x602px) Image search: [Google]
1488552432437.png
43KB, 542x602px
Do any robots like to use the word henceforth when they communicate with people? I do it and no one really likes it.
Is this why I have no friends?
>>
>>35894793
It's not a common word to use in modern language. So, it's awkward to hear it.

Also, you might be using it too often and in the wrong way.
>>
>>35894813
I don't think i use it too often. And I generally use it in decent context. At least I think I do
>>
>>35894793
I also use inasmuch, hindsight and therefore pretty much. I like the Germanic words in English and I am not even a native speaker.
>>
>>35894840
If people don't like it they're probably thinking you're trying to be pretentious or tipping your fedora.

Only people like professors and established people who already have a big vocabulary can use words like that without people thinking poorly of them
>>
>>35896185
I use large words occasionally to spice things up. You know? Make my speaking seem cool or funny.
>>
>>35894793
this really only works with autistic or smart people
but the bulk of people you meet won't be either so you're better off using simpler language for their sake
>>
>>35896141
therefore is the best
>>
I like the word fortnight. That's why I wait 2 weeks before telling people about things that happened to me.
>>
>>35896141
Inasmuch and insofar are god tier adverbs. Eo ipso up there too.
>>
I use "big words" at work sometimes and somebody always comments on it.

>used "intrinsic" one time and had to define it
>used "illustrious" and people were confused

Not even uncommon words, are people really this stupid?
>>
>>35896930

No, you're just a pretentious and obnoxious idiot.
>>
whatever you're writing should be as simple as it can be. you don't add anything to what you're writing by using uncommon polysyllables, unless you enjoy feeling superior to others because your vocabulary is wider or something
>>
>>35894793
I find myself trying to use autistic vocabulary such as insofar and moreover but I manage to catch myself and dumb down my words depending on who I'm speaking to.
>>
>>35896860
>>35896906

Thanks. Are you natives?

I always strive to type in the most formal and proper English, even though I can't get rid of my eastern European accent.
>>
>>35894793
Ive had people comment on my vernacular before, actually, its happened multiple times. I dont even think i speak particularly fancifully and i certainly never try to.

>>35897000
I agree with this to a point. We dont want to go around using newspeak because thats the death of language. Furthermore, writing can be tremendously boring to read when its all and, but, then and other mundane words constabtly repeated. If youre being obtuse for the sake of it then stop but there is nothing wrong with using a wide vocabulary.

This is to say nothing about creative writing where i would wholeheartedly disagree with you. While the point in creative writing is, again, not to be obtuse it should not necessarily be as simplistic as possible. Certainly, simplicity can be a tool but so too can complexity.
Though Kek seems to agree with you.

>>35896964
>>35896930
Intrinsic and illustrious arent fancy words by any stretch of the imagination. How would you simplify them while still being concise? I struggle to think of any word with the same meaning which is more simple. Then again, i consider them simple so maybe im a poor person to ask.

>>35897318
I also do this. I feel like im speaking to a child and i feel so condscending. Ironically, i have a foreign friend who is one of a number of people i dont do this for - he actively wants to learn new words and petitions me to use as many obscure words as possible. Frankly, his english is better than some native speakers i know.
>>
>>35898385
Yikes.

My guess is that you are underaged based on this post.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.