[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain modern youth "cool" culture please.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Can someone explain modern youth "cool" culture please. I can't quite put my finger on what annoys me about it, but it grinds my gears. What is "it", what's it called?

So far a few things I have noticed:

- Retro, early 90s references and cliches

- Looking sad/not smiling in photos

- Covering face in photos

- Conveying a "don't give a fuck what you think" attitude while ironically posting selfies and photos for likes (also naming photos with strange titles

- Mac Demarco, Drake and feminist punk bands

- Very much a middle class thing.

- Hairy armpits

- Retro X LARGE sports gear and unisex cloths

- Not so much a drug taking culture but certainly wants to imply its part of it.

I've noticed these things over the past few years until I realised I didn have a clue what it was and that it annoyed me so much. PS I'm 27 so too old to relate.

PIC semi-related.
>>
what annoys me about it is that they pretend not to care about the world. like they're so much better than the world that gave birth to them. fuck off, dumb kids.

what defuses the mad bomb is to imagine these kids das asking them to tighten a pipe in their basement cause the water pressure is too high in their sinks cause they live in an old house.

ya try to act cool while doing chores for your dad you gay faggits
>>
>>35852792
some things you listed are only cool in some subcultures. Hairy armpits aren't "it" for women at all for example.

Drake remains a mystery however. Never understood the appeal of his music.

Don't try to understand what's "it" and what isn't, if you're not a popular highschool/college kid you'll just play catch up for the rest of your life and there isn't any lesson to learn from teenagers trying to find themselves
>>
>>35852792
Much of what kids do nowadays is basically just dicking around in the middle of the night and not doing or accomplishing anything in particular.

It's the kind of attitude born out of a society that makes fun of any and every group of people and leaves people frustrated feeling like they can't do anything right, and they just kind embody a parody of the very premise of a thing or what it means to do anything or have any kind of personality.

Memes are intentionally as stupid and nondescript as possible. The person that created a 3D rendered image of a frog on a unicycle never could have possibly imagined that 15 years down the road it would become a pop culture sensation and be parroted endlessly around the internet to the point where brands like Doritos would use it in advertising.

It's such an incredibly minute detail that you would forget about immediately after seeing in this enormous world of billions of people all doing various activities that the premise of it becoming a pop culture phenomena is hilarious. It's basically a monument to how big, complex and intricate the world is and just how many people in it are lost, confused and frustrated.

That's essentially it. Everything ages and the world is moving forward at rates exponentially faster than ever before in history and it's leaving people lost and confused to the point where they find it easier to just embody a postmodern parody of itself rather than accomplish anything interesting that could offend anybody.

I think Death Grips' twitter is a parody of this. Intentionally weird and stupid but in ways that couldn't possibly be construed as evocative or interesting.
>>
>>35852792
>>35853360
>Drake remains a mystery however. Never understood the appeal of his music.
His "appeal" is generic party music and appealing to people's emotional side in the most sweeping and inoffensive way possible (my relationship isn't completely ideal). He appeals to people in the same way Brittney Spears appealed to people.

That's it. Drake is one of the worst "musical artists" that has ever existed and everyone that's somewhat interested in music thinks he's a clown.

Nobody is a "Drake fan", they just know his music exists.
>>
File: spirulina.jpg (92KB, 780x716px) Image search: [Google]
spirulina.jpg
92KB, 780x716px
>>35853718
>Everything ages and the world is moving forward at rates exponentially faster than ever before in history and it's leaving people lost and confused
The law of accelerating returns. Exponential growth makes the future increasingly more unpredictable. People's upbringing and early life values no longer prepare them for the demands of modern life.
>>
>>35853796
A girl I had a crush on once gave me a piece of paper with more or less 10 of his songs.
Worst month listening to music i had ever had, trying to memorise his lyrics.
>>
>>35853718
yep pretty much sums up modern life
>>
>>35852792

being a hipster who spends all day on twitter
>>
>>35853796
music can't be offensive anymore don't you get that?

show me modern bands or artists that are offensive
>>
>>35852792
It's a culture of not having a culture. Superficial and vain based on hedonism and materialism. Whilst at the same time claiming to be that teenage narcissist. The problem is(part of it anyway), alot of grown men and women are not growing out of it.
>>
>>35853997
I meant offend people's tastes. Not just the generic term describing something not politically correct
>>
>>35853997
If it's offensive against the right wing they let em do it. Or, if it's black men offending women.
>>
The culture of young people evolves continuously. By the time you hit your late 20's, you're not a part of it anymore. The feeling of exclusion, along with the feeling that your youth is slipping away, leads to a sort of jealousy I think. On some level, you're jealous that you're not part of that group anymore. You no longer get anything.

Not only do you notice aging when you look in the mirror, but you feel it mentally too. I don't mean old age, but your mind matures so that the immature, stupid shit that you once were a part of no longer seems appealing. It just seems stupid. It's similar when you look back versus looking at what's popular today.

To add insult to injury, you're being absorbed into "grown up" work culture. You're part of the daily grind. You face the reality of bills and work every moment that you're awake. Younger people are still in the bubble of their parents' financial security.

If you have kids, you're distanced from it even further. You try to correct the mistakes that your kids make (but often they make those mistakes anyway). They themselves become a part of that culture of young people. To your kids, you're ancient. So you're light years from the things that they're into. The underlying struggles are the same, but you'll never understand what's cool to them.

Welcome to getting old, anon.
>>
>>35852792
Clothing is more about consumerism than it has probably ever been. Supreme is retarded but everything costs $500, so people wear that shit to look rich even though they just spent their entire paycheque working a retail job. People want to look like they have money.
>>
Great way to know who is normalfag by just looking at him
>>
>>35854246
ah the 4chan crab bucket mentality dragging us down

nice yeah anon you grab that other crab and pull him down to yer level
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.