[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mom convinces me to get a therapist >go in, asks me some

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: 1485387281753.jpg (18KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1485387281753.jpg
18KB, 250x250px
>mom convinces me to get a therapist
>go in, asks me some very basic stuff (how I feel, what I do), 5 minutes later prescribes me some pills and tells me to see her next month
>tell to mom that this won't help and i don't want to be drugged
>"if that's what the therapist says you should do you should follow her advice"
>"try for a bit and see how you like it"

What kind of terrible meme is this? I thought seeing a therapist would help me feel better and talk things out.
Are therapists just drug dealers?
>>
>prescribes meds the same day
>tells you to see them next month
And they wonder why people shoot up schools. What a fucking joke.
>>
>>35850869
Well I have the phone number, she told me to call if there are any problems
>>
>>35850824
Out of curiosity, what were you prescribed?
>>
What meds did she give you, exactly?
>>
You visited a psychiatrist not a therapist
>>
>>35850824
Honestly just hit the gym, it cures what you mostly talk about to the therapist. Don't take the pills, you probably don't need them. Therapists get money when they prescribe pills.
>>
>>35850887
>>35850888
Duloxetine, 20mg a day for 1 week then 60mg a day.
>>
>>35850952
I thought I was getting my life back on track when I started working out but then I had to stop and it kinda went downhill from there. I don't have the willpower or force to start again now.
>>
>>35850824
Dont tell the therapist you want to hurt anyone. I told my therapist and she sent me to the fucking hospital for a week. I was behind on my courses and I was so pissed I had to sleep with legit mental patients. I simply said yeah I feel like punching someone and bam sent to the hospital for a fucking week.
>>
File: 1483230992020.jpg (7KB, 200x169px) Image search: [Google]
1483230992020.jpg
7KB, 200x169px
>>35850987
>tell my therapist I think about killing myself
>asks if I'm serious
>remember that time someone on /r9k/ said talking about suicide to your therapist gets you to the hospital
>say "no"
>>
>>35850824
dont know m8. Drugs didnt solve my situation but at least they made me care less. Which is not that bad when you know your situation is hopeless
Be warned though I gained like 45 pounds on them
>>
>>35850887
>>35850888
>>35850824

this is very important. we can tell you if they'll kill your brain and make you a zombie or if they're fine
>>
>>35850979
Pills won't do anything bro, it ALL starts with willpower. Do small things that add up to your overall willpower. It goes like eat healthy > get more energy > get more willpower > do productive things > win. A therapist will waste months talking about a problem you don't have.
>>
>>35850963
I guess the next question is how do you actually feel?
>>
>>35850963
Ah, standard stuff for depression. Pretty weak, too.

If you feel better, tell her. If you don't, tell her.
>>
>>35851025
See >>35850963

>>35851024
What do you mean by "hopeless", do you have some major disability?

>>35851026
The way she told me is that our brains need the right balances of chemicals to work well and when that doesn't work you can supplement it with their pills. Once your pills get you back on track you can stop taking them, gradually. I'm not a scientist or a doctor so I don't know. It sounds plausible.
I don't trust doctors and their pills
>>
>>35850952
muh lifting
You're still a fucking freak on the inside, idiot. No amount of lifting is going to cure that. Unless of course you develop all that strength just to beat yourself up.
>>
>>35851026
I eat like shit, like I sometimes eat one meal a day, then I'm hungry and eat snacks, sugary shit that makes me more hungry. It's tough to break out of this cycle. I don't want to take 10 minutes to prepare something when I know I'm going to eat shit the next day anyway.
>>
>>35850824
dont trust therapists, let alone woman therapists. they arent any more smarter than you. all they did was put in their time at school memorizing shit and regurgitating it on paper.

help yourself and research your problems online

by the way, those pills are only treating the symptoms, not the problems. your therapist doesnt give a fuck to find the root of your issues.
>>
Cymbalta isn't too bad OP, I've taken it myself, at least you got an SNRI over a SSRI, SSRI's are fucking memes and seem to have nowhere the same types of results that SNRI's do. In saying that, it's still going to take probably 2+ months for any noticeable effects and you may get some shitty side effects too.
>>
>paying hundreds of dollars to have some woman give you generic normie advice that you can find and ignore on r9k for free
>>
>>35851068
Pills make sense then. Use them as a tool to improve yourself, don't solely rely on it. Focus on being happy and let the pills help, don't expect them to do all the mental work. Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>35851052
Not too bad, all things considered, I've been through worse times. It could always be better, you know? I feel like I'm already past the point of no return in some ways, so I shouldn't need to bother with ways to fix myself, at the same time I know that is just an excuse to keep lazying around and I should look for solutions. Maybe that's what made me go.

>>35851150
Did it do anything for you?
What side effects are the most likely? The paper has a list of literally everything on it so I'm not going to take it seriously
>>
>>35851188
people on /r9k/ can't give you shitty drugs
>>
Psychotherapie is one big meme. Talking won't fix that you are failing at life.
>>
>>35851203
I ended up switching to a different medication (Venlafaxine) before I was on Cymbalta long enough which is another SNRI anyway, similar working.

This works sort of, it's more just mind numbing, the sadness and depression isn't quite as overwhelming as it use to be, it's there but it's dulled.

As for side effects, the likely / more common one are loss of appetite, gain of appetite, brief mood changes (this is generally when you first start) same with the appetite change, in saying that...

The one long lasting / big problem for me that I've had to deal with is impotency. It's very difficult for me to maintain an erection because of the medication i'm taking and furthermore difficult to cum which is very frustrating.
>>
>>35850824
When you say "Therapist" you mean Psychiatrist right?
Because a therapist/psychologist cannot give you medication. Similarly a psychiatrist isn't going to council you and help you feel better, they are there to assess your viability for medication.
>>
>>35850824
>Are therapists just drug dealers?
No shit, also, have fun taking that kike medicine, say goodbye to your sex drive faggot
>>
>>35851234
same for the erection thing although its still happenening to me even though im off mine now. scared its perma
>>
>>35851261
what if they made it on purpose so that you can never reproduce? scary
>>
>>35851261
Unfortunately a lot of people have this problem even after stopping the medication.

The other issue with SNRI's and even SSRI's sometimes, if you're taking a ridiculously high dose like I am, if you stop taking them after say a year you get some pretty fucking shitty withdrawals symptoms that persist for sometime.
>>
Have you made a blood test yet OP?
How's your eating habits?
Those things might help you more than some jewdicine prescribed by Dr. Ezekiela Goldstein.
>>
>have asthma
>get prescribed corticoids
>take them
>asthma gets better

>get ear infection
>get prescribed antibiotics
>take them
>get better

>have depression
>get prescribed antidepressants
>"woah wtf i don't want to be drugged fuck shrinks man"
Why

The brain is an organ like any other. It can get sick, so you get prescribed to make it better. Don't be stupid man
>>
>>35851450
The difference is that the brain is a vastly more complex organ than probably every other organ combined.
We still don't truly know how to fix mental illness through medication alone without having some fucked up side effects.
>>
I just got told to do yoga and practice mindfulness when I confessed to crippling depression and anxiety at 17. At least they offered you something.
>>
File: CRpJiN-UYAA8Z6i.jpg (60KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CRpJiN-UYAA8Z6i.jpg
60KB, 600x600px
>>35850824
Dont do it op, the pills fucked me up even more

>Cant get dick hard and need for sex is gone
>Always tired
>random headaches
>more social anxiety and depression

I had fluoxetine
Parents keep telling that everything will be alright but I doubt it
>>
Hey bro, I've been seeing a therapist for five years now. It sounds like your mom found you a psychiatrist, who is a medical doctor that does a lot of prescribing and very little talking. If you want the opposite of this, you need to seek out either a social worker or a psychologist who will see you on a weekly basis. I would suggest someone who practices cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). It's been life changing for me but it requires a lot of work and self honesty.
>>
>>35850916
This.
Forgot a was on this shitty board.
>>
>>35851450
they dont work and give u ed

uve never tried them so stfu
>>
>>35851482
Corticosteroids have a shit ton of side effects. You get fat, get stretch marks, have behavioral changes, alters sleep patterns, can lead to hypertension etc etc. Corticoesteroids don't cure asthma, they simply help reduce the lack of air episodes. People still take them because its better than living with asthma.

Depression is a terribly debilitating illness. There's no reason to avoid treatment because of some fucking weight gain or impotence. Medication won't 'cure' it but it still helps a lot in daily life.

Get medicated. Then when you're better you can complement that with all the excercise, yoga, theraphy or whatever in the world that to you want.
>>
>>35851560
Is CBT that thing where you do breathing exercises and have a safe space or am I confusing it with something else?q
>>
Medication is the appropriate treatment for someone who has been deemed to have a true chemical imbalance, which can be difficult to know. This is the minority. Mental illness, generally, is the result of your environment as a child and how you were developed as a person. Your caregivers had complete power over you and they shaped how you see yourself and how you interact with the world. Anyone who pushes medication as a first line treatment from their personal experiences either had a true chemical imbalance that has been restored or has suppressed the neglect and abuse they had received as a child. No amount of medication is going to wipe away the trauma and pain, and you will never be able to run from it forever. Healing comes from compassion and acceptance
>>
>>35850987
>I want to hurt people
>I'm not mentally ill I swear

Kill yourself, you're pathetic.
>>
>>35850824

Are you sure they aren't a psychiatrist? That sounds like what a psychiatrist would do unless they're just a really bad therapist. Maybe find a psychologist.
>>
>>35851879
The reason why medication is the first line of treatment is because how depression works. Prescribing excercise and going out as first line to someone who has a will imparaiment and some days lack the basic strength to get up from bed is a fucking awful advice. Depressed people can't do stuff to be better in the first place because their condition stops them even from believing better is possible.

Meds require next to no effort and they can be the starting point so once they're feeling better, you can work with some CBT or other stuff with proved efficacy.
>>
>>35852219
neck up if you dont want to shooot up a school ur a normy get out fagoo
>>
File: 1422062147353.gif (2MB, 265x257px) Image search: [Google]
1422062147353.gif
2MB, 265x257px
>>35850824
You went to a psychiatrist, now fuck off.
>>
>>35852219
It's not that I want to really hurt people, it's self-defense. Their actions and thoughts are out there to hurt me. They form a barrier to my happiness. I'm living for myself and try to have a good life. People are trying to prevent me from having a good time and so I want to remove that barrier and that's where people could get hurt. I'm not the crazy person. My thoughts are reasonable. It's the other people that fuck with me that are the problem.
>>
>get referred to a therapist
>tell her i was raped repeatedly as a child and that i think it warped my sexuality
>i hear voices every day
>also consider suicide every day
>"why dont you come see me in a month and see if youre feeling better? :^)"
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.