[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why don't people go to movie theaters anymore? Are they

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

File: movie-theater-revival-setup.jpg (44KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
movie-theater-revival-setup.jpg
44KB, 640x320px
why don't people go to movie theaters anymore? Are they obsolete? or is it because of the post-2008 economy that we developed a "culture of staying home"?
>>
>>35836941
Maybe you didn't notice but movies fucking suck.
>>
the percentage of niggers in my town has doubled since my childhood. going to the movies is now a dreadful, loud, unenjoyable experience
>>
>>35836957
they are so fake
>>
>>35836957
Yeah, but cinema isn't dying, movies make more money than ever. The industry is over saturated with cookie-cutter bullshit, but most movies appeal to the largest audience possible and that's how they still make money. Quantity over quality is more than suitable; it's profitable.

but that wasn't my question
>>
>>35836941
I only go twice a year, MAYBE 3 times at the most. Going too frequently ruins the charm/experience for me. Plus, I go 1 or 2 weeks after the premiere so there's less people in the theater room.
>>
>>35836941

#1) Movies aren't cheap. After admission ticket and concessions you're out over $20

#2) Television (both cable & netflix) has gotten to where it's actually of better quality than most movies.

#3) #2 can be experienced on demand and in the privacy of your own home.
>>
>>35836941
cus you can get a huge hd plazma for like 400$ and torrent any movie at 1080p BrRip
>>
I go to the expensive theater where you have to book tickets in advance. They sell booze and don't let kids in, and the fact that it costs a couple dollars more keeps the colored people out.
>>
>>35836941
Who says they don't? Is it just that your parents stopped taking you?
>>
>>35836941
the whole point of theaters was it was the only way to disseminate a film, the only reason to go now is for nostalgia, event, or spectacle (why hollywood movies are so bad)
>>
>>35837192
You're making yourself sound like the kid here, because you're biased and unaware of social, cultural and technological changes around you. The decrease shows no sign of stopping.
>>
>>35837333
Where are you seeing this decrease? The AMC here is always packed.
>>
>>35837333
Trips confirm you're a faggot
>>
The last time I went to a movie theater was for the last Hobbit movie. Kinda made me rethink paying to see a movie nomsayin.
Also I have anxiety, being in there is very stressful
>>
>tfw we were too poor to go to the movies
>tfw only went to the movies like twice in my whole life
>tfw no bf to take me to the movies and share popcorn with
>>
The last time I went to the theater I got shot.
>>
>>35837392
I see it everywhere. You could read up on it or look at statistics but you don't need to; the collective is aware of it, society knows it even if they're not blabbering about it.

Maybe it's "always packed" on the day of release of a big movie, but otherwise ticket sales are declining
>>
because i cant pass the penis inspection test, also falcon chow is over priced
>>
Going to the cinema is very popular in my country but I don't go owing to the censorship and banning of films. It's same on TV. So I torrent.
>>
>>35837567
Chinese normies are the reason hollywood movies suck and why there are so many shitty remakes.
>>
File: 1490022865019.jpg (53KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490022865019.jpg
53KB, 599x600px
Because there is always some faggot speaking too loud, or some dumbass kid sitting behind you who kick your chair now and again which makes me rage.

It's just not worth it.

I always get so anxious that one of the above two things will happen, that i cant relax, even if it doesn't happen.

Cinema's are shit unless you pay for one of them fancy ones, if they still exist.
>>
Are you kidding? Everyone goes to the movies, constantly, more than it even makes sense to. Seems like every single damn movie that's ever come out was seen in theatres by literally everyone I've ever known.
>>
>>35837635
This. Declining ticket sales is fake news created by butthurt Hollywood jews because they're not making as much as they did in the 80s and with good reason. Their movies are SHIT
>>
>>35837708
This, movies are awful recently.

Everyone preferes long serires on netflix etc now
>>
>>35837608
This isn't far from the truth. Big budget movies profit more from international audiences than domestic, so they must be simple enough to follow without knowing the language or needing subtitles. Action movies have less complex dialogue than childrens cartoons.
>>
>>35836941
They would just spend all their time texting through it.
>>
I used to go every weekend; sometimes friday night, sat, and sunday. There just aren't many movies worth watching "now" anymore. I just wait until the bluray comes out, or it hits netflix/amazon/hbo.
>>
>>35836941
>only good movies require me sitting less than a foot from a turbo normie for 1-2 hours

yeah I'll pass
>>
Thinking about going alone to see a movie tomorrow morning. Anyone else go to the theater alone?
>>
>>35838624
I heard there are some places with no-singles policy
>>
>>35836941
I went all the time when I was in college(2010-2015) because there was a cheap theater and nothing better to do. Nowadays, I'll occasionally drive to another city to watch Live RipTraxx events or other Fathom stuff. I really wanted to go see the Labyrinth when it was re released :( The theater here is absolute shit and so are most of the movies coming out. All I want is an action or drama made for adults, is that so much to ask for?
>>
>>35837091
>tv
>better than movies
you're retarded
>>
>>35838911
maybe you haven't been watching good shows. The Marvel series' are way better than the fucking Avengers
>>
>>35836941
you ever try to watch a movie with kids kicking your back or a crowd of niggers that won't shut up? Now remember that you paid $10+ to be there and it wasn't actually even a good movie. That's why.
>>
>>35836941
my dad can't afford the kinobull
>>
>>35838911

Maybe if you're 12 and like superhero bullshit and explosions.

ButI if you're looking for an entertaining story with interesting characters you're much more likely to find it on tv nowadays. Even hollywood's veteran actors and actresses have abandoned film-making.

You must be really young.
>>
>>35836941
Look at the top grossing movies of all time and tell me cinema is less popular.
>>
>>35840334
not cinema, movie theaters. Specifically in first-world countries
>>
I saw Logan a couple nights ago. The cinema has comfy chairs with a foot recliner. It was quite nice.
>>
>>35840398
>not cinema, movie theaters
retard here, whats the difference between the two?
>>
>>35836941
Hollywood realized that shitty remakes and sequels still made money
Also, internet
>>
>>35840461
cinema is the art of movie-making. A movie theater is a place, it's where popular movies premiere
>>
>>35836941
A trip to the movies isn't worth it.

Just for 2 people it's gas money + the 2 tickets + plus concessions if you ever care for those + gas money home + 2-3 spare hours of time

I'd rather sit home and jerk off where I can pause and play all day
>>
You answered your own question.
There was a time when movie tickets costed the same of bus/metro tickets. I remember when I used 2 bucks to pay the bus, and two more to pay the movie. That's why box office means nothing nowadays. No film has ever sold more tickets than titanic. They just got more Moneyout of it.
Piracy and demand have also played their part. Why will I pay 30 bucks to see emma sing my childhood songs on the big screen if I can download it for free?
>>
>>35840482
sounds like stupid nitpicking to me, doesnt everyone call movie theatres cinemas in practice?
>>
>>35837505
> Pure speculation: the post
Box office have never been so profitable in my country. I'd say you're talking bullshit.
>>
>>35836941
Netflix & chill > $25 for two tickets, 15 for overpriced popcorn and soda, plus the gas to get there and having to be on their schedule. That being said I've gone twice with a female friend in the past few weeks to see Get Out and Beauty and the Beast. It was comfy desu, haven't been to the theatres in a while.
>>
>>35840586
What country is that?

box office is not a valid way of telling whether theatres are still popular because of globalization of American cinema (see >>35837785) and also because they've gotten more expensive

Honestly, just google it.
>>
>>35840561
the guy said "cinema is dying" not "cinemas are dying"
>>
File: 1460920067047.jpg (74KB, 413x570px) Image search: [Google]
1460920067047.jpg
74KB, 413x570px
>>35840708
oh, now i get it. thanks.
>>
>>35836941
>go to movies at night
>get shot
>>
>>35837091
where the fuck do you live?
cinema costs 2 dollars here
>>
>>35841100
where do YOU live? Bulgaria or something?
>>
>>35836941
I used to go to the movies basically every week and watch whatever was on regardless of quality. Now I only really go and watch must see movies i.e. Star Wars or the odd indie film that catches my interest. For me it was thr fact that since leaving uni I've either been working with no free time or unemployed with no money- Can't really comment on larger trends in society.
>>
Movie theaters are great for dates and big budget popcorn flicks but having a good tablet 3 inches from your face in a dark room with nice ear buds is a much more intimate experience. I much prefer watching movies that way.
>>
I go cinema twice a week with my dad (I'd go with friends but I don't have any).

I might have best insight on this in thread.

Cinemas are packed every release day/weekend for a movie. Cinemas are packed on deal nights (5 euro wednesday nights). Cinemas have decent number of people on Firdays and Saturdays, often packed.

Also nights are much more popular than before 6pm for obvious reasons, most popular hours are 8-9pm.

You can go to an empty cinema maybe 0-5 peeople there if you go before 2pm.

My dad can't go with me that early but sometimes I go cinema alone.
>>
>>35836941
>why don't people go to movie theaters anymore?

Because they're overpriced and have retarded food policies. Theaters are extremely anti-consumer.
>>
>>35840334
nigga I actually will

the last top grossing movie was Star Wars Episode VII

wanna know why? because star wars is a trend and people saw it for the sole reason of it being star wars, it wasn't because it was a good movie, it wasn't because of cinema, it was because it was star wars and people went to see it.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.