[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw meditation can't be scientifically disproved >monks

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: cat_stare.jpg (68KB, 298x251px) Image search: [Google]
cat_stare.jpg
68KB, 298x251px
>tfw meditation can't be scientifically disproved
>monks have set themselves on fire without showing pain
>scientists can track heat waves flowing through monks doing ritualistic movements
>many health benefits

why aren't practicing the only form of magic their is?
>>
>>35819815
>their is
>>
I wouldn't be able to go on 4Chan
>>
>>35819815
Because it's a heathen practice that opens your soul to devils.
>>
>>35819815
Isn't the consensus in Vietnam that the monk was drugged out of his mind on painkillers and the whole thing was a stunt put on by the Viet Cong
>>
because i cant sit still with my thoughts for more than 20 minutes
>>
>training yourself to be a plant

Shiggy
>>
>>35819815
>implying meme magick isn't real
>>
>>35820411
This.

>get a monk
>fill him with drugs
>????
>PROPAGANDA
>>
Do monks even poop?
>>
Post me the best how to on meditation please
>>
>>35820862
step one) just be
step two) be yourself
>>
>>35820411
I don't know you really think they autopsied him and tested his blood?
>>
>>35819815
>tfw meditation can't be scientifically disproved

Nothing can be disproved you bumbling retard. There's a myriad of studies espousing the benefits of meditation. School children who are forced to meditate are better behaved than their counterparts that were given time outs (http://thefreethoughtproject.com/school-sending-children-meditate/). We're all well aware that it exists. There's a scientific explanation for lucid dreaming, for fucks sake! You don't think that we can observe people who meditate?
>>
File: 1487996323064.jpg (670KB, 2111x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1487996323064.jpg
670KB, 2111x1300px
>>35820887
that isn't helpful fuck you
>>
File: Meditate.jpg (74KB, 921x663px) Image search: [Google]
Meditate.jpg
74KB, 921x663px
>>35820862
It's not that complicated man, but it is pretty tough
>>
>>35821001
>infinite loop asking yourself how about now
>>
>>35821001
Should I just focus on it or am I supposed to count it or something? Do you ever get to a point where you can truly not even focus on your breath and just harness complete nothingness? As a person with overwhelming anxiety I feel like mediation would probably help me
>>
>>35821001
you don't have to think about breathing, the point is really just sitting quietly
>>
>>35820963
Different anon here. Meditation does take practice and patience, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's difficult. The main thing you want to do is focus on your breathing. Be in the moment, don't let your thoughts wonder. And as soon as they do (trust me they will) just bring your focus back to your breathing. If it's easier you can also count your breaths. Breathing in and out is 1 count, do that until you get to 10. Once you get to 10, start back at 1. Just remember to be patient and don't get frustrated. Good luck to you!
>>
>>35821050
You can count if it helps you focus. Your goal here is to notice how your mind behaves when you try to focus on something. You'll very quickly realize that it's hard to focus on anything will full attention for more than a few moments at a time. From that moment, you simply build the skill
>>
>>35821108
in mindfulness meditation there has to be some object of focus. it's not just sitting quietly
>>
>>35819815
>when the depression is so high you light yourself on fire and have no regrets
>>
>>35821108
That's actually a big point of contention in buddhist thought. What I'm describing here is vipassana meditation, you're talking about something more closely related to shikantaza. Personally, I doubt it makes much a difference in the end
>>
>>35820916
Well they definitely didn't considering he was basically just a charred pile of bones at the end. But it seems like the most plausible explanation, considering the political climate and the fact that nobody else has done something like that outside of stories
>>
>>35821001
This is supposed to make me be able to regulate my body temperature?
>>
>>35819815
Setting yourself on fire has health benefits? Hope this becomes the new LA trend.
>>
>>35821272
>"Self-immolation protests by Tibetans in China. As of October 2016 there have been about 153 reported self-immolations in Tibet since 27 February 2009, when Tapey, a young monk from Kirti Monastery, set himself on fire in the marketplace in Ngawa City, Ngawa County, Sichuan."
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-immolation_protests_by_Tibetans_in_China?wprov=sfla1

They do it all the time actually.
>>
>>35821246
>>35821211
I'd agree it helps as a technique to help you sit quietly. I should say quiet mind and body. if you just let your mind go you can spin out in all kinds of crazy thoughts, and if you're sitting there grinding something out in your head you're not sitting quietly. I just don't like all the high talking about it, not even a fan of the term meditation I think it makes people think something magical is supposed to happen but it's just sitting basically.
>>
>>35821435
Oh they do set themselves on fire but as far as I know they aren't able to sit on the ground and stoically take it. I'd really like to be proven wrong on that point though
>>
File: 1460934243235.jpg (25KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1460934243235.jpg
25KB, 306x306px
>>35819815
>>tfw meditation can't be scientifically disproved
>>monks have set themselves on fire without showing pain
>>scientists can track heat waves flowing through monks doing ritualistic movements
>>many health benefits
>why aren't practicing the only form of magic their is?
wow someone from /r9k/ made a lot of unsubstantiated claims. better believe them all
>>
>>35821335
Nope, the breath is just meant to be something to focus on. See >>35821177
>>
>>35821748
actually maybe take this back a little. now that I think of it there might be something to breathing in itself. specifically deep breathing like iceman wim hof but regulating your breathing can be helpful in a lot of situations.
>>
>>35821830
so how do I consciously change my heart rate and body temperature through meditation
>>
>>35819815

>meditation can't be scientifically disproved

What exactly is there to disprove?

>only form of magic there is

Nah, that'd be mathematics and programming.
>>
god damn it this be yourself meme really pops up everywhere now. and unironically
KYS (with a gun)
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.