[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any programmer bots here? How do you recommend going

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: tumblr_om27v9uEgh1ureq5ko1_1280.png (1MB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_om27v9uEgh1ureq5ko1_1280.png
1MB, 960x1440px
Are there any programmer bots here?
How do you recommend going about getting a job?
Is it easy to find something where you work from home?
Is there a language/framework I should start with that would make me more employable?

I have a "degree" from a for-profit college. I realize it's stupid, but it's what I have to work with. I did a lot of programming during my years in college, mostly visual c++, but I forget a lot of it. It's been 12 years since I graduated (yes, i'm old)

I've been working as a sys admin for the past 12 years, but have tried to avoid programming. I just don't want to be doing tech support for the rest of my life...

Boobs for your trouble.
>>
>>35769744
Software Engie student here.

Apply for programming jobs with a resume is usually a good one.

You could maybe arrange one or two days a week from home. If you're lucky you hit an international company that lets you remote all the time.

Web based bullshit. Angular, React, ASP.Net, JavaEE, NodeJS. All the good shit. Besides that Java, C#, Python, C++ are always solid ones

Hoping to apply to a job in canada in 2018 and move there. Any leaf programmer willing to offer me a spot in your company?
>>
fucking visual c++ isnt a language you pleb

start with x86
>>
>>35769836
x86 is a chipset architecture
>>
>>35769857
yea, learn the instruction set
read the users manual
its the shit you are actually writing for
>>
Sys admin 12 years will probably be very helpful for getting programming work. Lots of that info would be useful in both contexts. I suggest writing some webgames to build up a portfolio. You don't want to use Flash or ActionScript. Those are slow and deprecated. HTML5 and Javascript are the standard now. There is a new language called Haxe that compiles to other languages such as Javascript. It's a weird name, but Javascript is a bit annoying to code in directly because it has a lot of stupid flaws and inconsistencies. Haxe is designed properly. If you want to code in Javascript, read everything that Douglas Crockford has written that is related and use JsLint. You will save yourself many headaches if you do. You should probably also learn the basics of C and C++, since the syntax of most newer languages is based off of them. Use open-source tools and development libraries. Never pay for development tools. You will want to prefer incorporating code from others that is licensed under the commercially-permissive LGPL or MIT licenses instead of proprietary code or GPL code. This should always be possible.
>>
>>35769802
I'm op. I actually live in canada. I work for a small company that has a couple of developers. My advice would be to apply to bigger corporations. Small/midsized companies throw your resume out if you're not local.
>>
>>35769869
>Starting with assembly language
>Not with logic gates and circuit design
Lel pleb. Gotta start from the ground up to get that rock-solid foundation.
>>
>>35769905
I'm actually working through a game development course through udemy.com. I bought it for $20.
It's C# using the Unity 4/5 engine and IDE.
It's fun, but I wonder how much game development is going to help getting an actual job.
>>
File: 1485668075634.jpg (229KB, 627x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485668075634.jpg
229KB, 627x720px
>>35769906
What about the shit that's on Jobbank? Government website said to apply for jobs on there if I plan to immigrate.

Ask your company if they need a 2018 graduate dev to sponsor a visa for.
>>
>>35769958
why don't i just learn to read binary? not everyone needs to have an understanding of low level languages just to make a living at it.
>>
File: friedman.jpg (15KB, 162x227px) Image search: [Google]
friedman.jpg
15KB, 162x227px
>>35769958
you assumed I meant to go UP from assembly
you start with the high level assembly THEN go down to CMOS, then transistor design

master race
>>
>>35769964
If you want a gamedev job go for it.

If you want a general developer job, make your code clean, use correct versioning (which you should do anyway), maybe add some diagrams and shit and make it look like you have an idea of what you're doing.
>>
>>35770001
realistically you will never read actual binary, you will read hex
you should know hex by heart, 0xE is 1110 etc, meaning bit 0 is masked etc etc
That is actually helpful, not the memes we are memeing

I am memeing because I do embedded shit and you gotta basically write in very LOW level C at some point or even assembly if you have to
>>
>>35769970
it's a good place to start. Look at the company you're applying to, though. If its a small joint, it will be nearly impossible to land a job.

we're looking for an MS Access dev. We use 2003 and VB because we're on the cutting edge of technology. But they really want someone with a lot of experience and knowledge of business process
>>
>>35769869
There is absolutely no reason for a new developer to learn the instruction set. Most developers do not need to do development in hexadecimal machine code. Almost everything that requires that level of fine-tuning that a new developer might need is already available under an open-source license. Machine code details are usually handled by the compiler anyway. What do you develop on at work, a PDP-11 with rotating drum memory? Do you use a steady hand and a magnetized needle to mark the bits on the drum too? The 1980's called; they said your 1970's-era programming advice is outdated, and that you need to get with the times.
>>
File: 58b84f61791be138870463.gif (1MB, 294x250px) Image search: [Google]
58b84f61791be138870463.gif
1MB, 294x250px
>>35770072
I mean as soon as I enter my senior year I'm gonna webscrape every single job on Jobbank and send out my resume to them. So to speak you know what I mean.

>we're looking for an MS Access dev.
>2003 and VB
Oh jesus GOD
>>
>>35770094
lets just say there are very specific times where ALL you have is assembly
>>
>>35769958
Actually, basic logic circuit design is very interesting, and is an excellent way to get very good at propositional logic and at understanding state machine code such as regular expressions. I took an introductory class in it. It is not as hard as it looks to follow the reasoning behind a ripple-carry adder or what have you.
>>
>>35770112
it's fucking sad that in a few years there's going to be people entering the workforce that weren't born when the database software came out
>>
>>35770137
i am an EE so i should actually be better at that than programming but programming is way easier and more fun than that shit to me (and way easier to get a job)
>>
>>35769744
Fucking sauce of this!!!
>>
>>35769744
Self taught programmer here
I've taught myself not only programming but a lot of math. I focused on combinatorics because I was told that it was the most useful for coding besides linear algebra and abstract algebra. Will this give me an advantage? I have some examples of code that use it
>>
>>35770030
These things are also helpful in game development. Nobody wants to write a shitty, excessively computationally-complex game like Magicka or Civilization V. Your users shouldn't have to have top-tier equipment except for certain high-end first-person shooters or similar. Even then, I think that the computationally-forgiving Team Fortress 2 aesthetic approach is better for most cases. There are two aesthetic peaks on either side of the valley of creepiness or whatever it's called, and one of them is much cheaper to develop for than the other.
>>
>>35770239
can i see the code?
i have a hard time learning math, but programming seems a lot simpler to me.
>>
>tfw getting a degree at a relatively well-known university in computer science even though all I want is some boring data entry job

All I want is to go to work, shut my brain off, go home, and get paid. I'm hoping 4 years and thousands of dollars will make a job like that easier to find. If not, haha lol well at least I'm flooding the market with more talentless hacks.
>>
>>35770281
i feel like code monkey would be a good job for a robot.
>>
Professional programmer with a compsci degree here. It's actually not that hard if you're half decent at it. I spend my days fixing bugs in C++ and AutoIt shit and make decent money.

I can understand being intimidated by it all though. I spent all my time at uni surrounded by wunderkinds who I assume are now working at Google but lots of companies need programmers like they need admin/finance/IT/HR etc. I treat it like any generic office job and it's worked out alright so far.
>>
>>35770124
That's fine. Software engineering is mostly about understanding the fundamental engineering principles and learning the implementation details as you go. Which language you start with is not so important. If you need to learn assembly for something, you take a couple of weeks and learn assembly. Until then, you'll understand enough about a computer's low-level operations from studying C to have a sense for writing efficient code in other languages.
>>
>>35770311
This is the type of job I'd want to get into when I'm done with school. Not some huge job at google. Just doing whatever at some random company. Might not make as much, but there wouldn't be nearly as much pressure to get in
>>
>>35770311
Finance is surprisingly interesting from a coding perspective. The math often isn't that complicated, but the field of accounting is basically one giant data structure.
>>
>>35770311
i guess the reason i'm intimidated by it is that i don't have any real world experience, solving real world problems. the courses you take on the internet show you fundamentals and concepts well enough, but the examples are something like "build a car using classes".

i'd like to get some real world experience before i apply to jobs so i know what i'm getting into.
>>
>>35770300
Yeah, something like a code monkey would be perfect.

More power to the kids in my classes making games and simulations in their free time and getting internships at major companies, but I'll just be happy if I can get a job.
>>
>>35770354
That's my exact job. There's a couple things that bother me (can't listen to music, have to wear shirt and it) but I don't mind them. It's a comfy job that's also super interesting. Pay isn't amazing but I am in a junior role..

>>35770393
I feel you because I was felt that way before this job. But the problems you face won't be "build a car class" and more "the car name variable is returning total nonsense for some reason so fix that".
>>
1/2

I'm a senior software developer. Never graduated college.

What I did was I started doing small contract jobs for people looking to build websites or add features to existing projects and things like that. Most were garbage, but I did land a gig that paid pretty well that got me into E3 2012 (though that wasn't exactly programming-related). I also created a website of my own that was essentially a web crawler that would give you stats about a given site.

After all of that, I tried out for a junior developer job locally. My interview consisted of a code test that I failed, but showing how I was trying to work it out was enough to show how I work through problems.

It was a weird test, though: I was asked to parse a straight text file containing a list of names and days of the week arbitrarily formatted, then get the input from the command line and identify who would be working that day. It was basically like:

Jeff Mon Fri Sat
Jake Sunday Wednesday-Friday
Beth Sun-Wed Saturday

where the hyphens denoted all days in between. I didn't have a firm grasp on regular expressions at the time, so it was hard for me.

But anyways, working through that, plus the projects that I had worked on previously, were enough to get me in the door. Once I was in, I learned things pretty quickly and started finding ways to automate a lot of my job, which got me recognition and bumped me up much faster than my peers who did the same thing.

Now I'm involved with hiring people. I conducted a round of interviews for the company I'm at now maybe a month ago.
>>
>>35770600

2/2

What gets you hired is showing competency and a desire to learn. If you're going for a lower-level developer position (entry level, mid level), I would say that you should know some language well and have public work to display. Having personal projects on Github is an obvious example. If you are going to be a web developer, I would show off an example website or two that you put together on your own.

Also, know what the employer is looking for and know what the industry uses. You're almost certainly going to be asked if you know "xyz". "Do you know git?" "Do you know ember?" "Are you familiar with Magento?" etc. You don't have to have experience with something necessarily, but if you know something about it and can relate it to something similar, that will be a plus. "No, I've never worked with Postgres, but I know that it's comparable to MySQL, which I'm decent with" wouldn't be a bad answer if asked.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is why you're worried about doing tech support when you're a sysadmin? I'm guessing that you're put into the role of sysadmin, but your company treats you as "computer guy", which means that you do all kinds of very low-level things. If that's the case, then convince your company to hire an assistant for you for that crap or find a company that has you only doing sysadmin work. Systems administration is not a bad gig at all. You should be making a good wage already.
>>
>>35769744

You need to go to a school of some kind. University is recommended.

The main thing about getting a job in software dev is coming off as friendly, enthusiastic and I also recommend showing off some of your projects even if they are tiny little things that you made in a day.

Your main competition is a pack of mega autists that are smarter than you but unlikable. You will get jobs over them if you work on little things like eye contact, smiling, etc.

Your grades and ability aren't that important. What matters is whether they can teach you to be good.
>>
>>35770626
this is really good advice, thanks. the interview process sounds a lot like IT; If you have knowledge related to what they're asking, they're happy.

You've got that right. Hired on as a sys admin, but a lot of the day i'm installing printers or stupid stuff like that. the most exciting thing i'm doing is transitioning servers to Azure. I'm hoping once I offload some of our infrastructure to the cloud, I can ask them for coding projects to work on.

>>35770582
that's encouraging. i can read code and usually figure out what's going on.
>>
>>35770683
i'm already ok at dealing with people, despite being a social retard, i can fake it.

but if i have to fix chad the manager's printer one more time, i'm going to puke.
>>
>>35770239
You won't use abstract algebra.
>>
>>35770717
>You've got that right. Hired on as a sys admin, but a lot of the day i'm installing printers or stupid stuff like that. the most exciting thing i'm doing is transitioning servers to Azure. I'm hoping once I offload some of our infrastructure to the cloud, I can ask them for coding projects to work on.

If they're having you install printers or whatever, they might not want to give you straight coding tasks. That would be a hard sell. (I'm assuming there are developers and there's a codebase that they work on at your job)

Since you are the sysadmin, you know all about what's going on in your infrastructure. I would see if there's something that you could do to programmatically make things more efficient or run some otherwise-tedious task. Obvious choices for a sysadmin would be shell scripts or Perl, but you can use this as an opportunity to dink around with anything, really.

If you can find a task to do programmatically and it's small, do it when you have time and tell your boss when it's done and working. If it's a larger, more involved task for you to do with your current knowledge, consider asking your boss to let you take it on as a project. Failing those, you may have to experiment in your free time or try for a different position
>>
File: img_20160410_211456.jpg (559KB, 2088x2088px) Image search: [Google]
img_20160410_211456.jpg
559KB, 2088x2088px
>making $65k right out of school in a small town as a programmer
>didn't even buy anything before I had a job and still don't
>tfw just read books all day
>>
>>35770860
I'll keep that stuff in mind, thanks.

They are letting me dick around with the internal website right now. It's aspx and vb.net. I'm not sure if that will increase my marketability. I'm installing a wysiwyg html editor on on of the pages that submits the HTML to a database

I'll also take your advice about maintaining websites and projects... thanks.
>>
File: out.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
out.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>35771113
>It's aspx and vb.net. I'm not sure if that will increase my marketability
>>
What's the easiest and most useful way to learn for someone mentally challenged?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.