[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why this show was so popular? I watched it. It was cool but nothing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: Shatner.jpg (58KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
Shatner.jpg
58KB, 618x412px
Why this show was so popular? I watched it. It was cool but nothing THAT great, considering the cult it have
>>
>>35762398
I watched it for the first time doing acid and I havnt stopped since. I've seen all the movies, I own two sets of TOS and a set of TNG. I love it, there's nothing I regret more in life then not being born on the enterprise.
Spok and bones were my faverites. Kirk is a good character, but bones had so much sadness and spok is...spok how can you not love him?
The new movies are trash but I can't wait for bridge crew for VR.
>>
>>35762455
Also, piccard is the best captain.
>>
>>35762398
the original star trek series is the worst in my opinion.
TNG set the stage for the rest of the franchise and it's pretty okay. DS9 is the best series though
>>
>>35762552
IS DS9 the one with the woman? She's so fucking stupid.
TNG is the best, hands down. TOS is second, it's so Charming compared to everything else.
>>
>>35762398
It's fantastic. The Original Series is my favorite.

I like how level-headed they are, nobody jumps to conclusions. Captain Kirk and party always try to resolve conflicts peacefully. What's more, the dialogue is top-notch.

You have to let yourself get immersed, believe that this is the future and that they're exploring galaxies and meeting real alien races.

TNG and DS9 have too much holodeck shit. Both are lovely series, but there are so many bad episodes in between the good ones. TOS is pure gold all the way.
>>
>>35762599
This, a thousand times this.
Gordys episode with the girl from the holo deck is one every robot should watch.
>>
>>35762398
fuck you Star Trek TOS is awesome, it was made before we even landed on the moon.

Spock (or vulcans) should be every robots idol. no emotion, pure logic, highly educated and only have the urge for coitus every 7 years so pretty much asexual
>>
>>35762599
TOS got kind of shit towards the end, but it's still the best of the bunch.
>>
>>35762580
>IS DS9 the one with the woman? She's so fucking stupid.

nah that's voyager
>>
>>35762737
Ok, I'll have to check out DS9.
I caught a few eps of voyager and that woman made me rage. Shes worst than kirk for breaking prime directive.
>>
>>35762398
I tried to show tos to my only female friend and she hated it.
I just want a fellow girl to sit and enjoy star trek with me while we talk about how cute bones is .
>>
>>35762398
Season 1 and 2 are amazing, with a few stinkers thrown in.

Season 3 is borderline unwatchable.

There are some giant fuckups though.

Like there's this one episode where football sized space amoebas are destroying all human life on this planet. They try everything to kill them. Radiation, poison, heat, cold, nothing seems to stop them.

Then Kirk says "What about LIGHT?"

And sure enough, bright light kills them.

BUT LIGHT IS RADIATION.

They really fucked up on that one, and in some other episodes. But for the most part the writing is pretty good.

I love TOS. I'm currently watching it again.
>>
File: ls0QN.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ls0QN.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
In regards to Voyager, I yield the same sentiment as you guys, I don't care for it.

However, I would like to watch a youtube video entitled "The entirety of Star Trek Voyager, but only the scenes with the hologram doctor." He's the character I like in that series.
>>
>>35762599
>TNG and DS9 have too much holodeck shit. Both are lovely series, but there are so many bad episodes in between the good ones.
>TOS is pure gold all the way.

I mean, that's outright false. There are some proper garbage episodes.

But I love TOS. Shatner really holds the whole thing together as Kirk, he plays an actually believable CO.

>I like how level-headed they are, nobody jumps to conclusions. Captain Kirk and party always try to resolve conflicts peacefully. What's more, the dialogue is top-notch.

This absolutely. People sound like they're having real conversations most of the time, and behave like professionals.

There's a lot of pop culture stuff about Kirk being a horndog, but that's almost the opposite of how he's actually presented. He goes out of his way to make sure he never act unprofessional with any of his female subordinates because he knows he has a weakness in that department. Unfortunately a lot of this stopped showing up after Whitney left the show, but there are a few great scenes where Shatner perfectly puts across this attitude.
>>
>>35762809

I showed my gf star trek and she loves it now. Just talk to girls who actually have value, and are willing to think about more than weed and video games.
>>
>>35762398
Compared to other shows at the time it was imaginative and well structured. The writers had a good formula.
>>
>>35762829
Lmao I remeber that, it was like they made frisbees out of gackt and tossed them on stage
>>
>>35762842
I'm a doctor, not a doorstop
>>
>>35762809
>how cute bones is
Especially in that one episode when he goes full southern after getting stoned from that plant or whatever it was.
>>
>>35762852
This, kirk loved women, he thought they were downright magical. Of course he woo'd allot of women, he has to travel the galaxy and he can't very well bring a woman, not even a star fleet officer, on a ship. But he still loves women, and still likes to flirt and fuck em, he has a big heart. Like the episode where spock had to legit remove the memories of a girl from kirks mind.
Imo, spock was always meant for kirk but theyre such good friends, they bcold never be together. They truely were like brothers.
>>
>>35762398
To understand media, you need to learn about the original context in which it was produced and viewed.

Take 1979's Alien, for example. Show it to a kid today and they'll assume all the computers are meant to look old and crusty, but that was high future tech at the time.
>>
It was the first of its kind. Back in the 60s the only thing on tv was shit like I Love Lucy. Then this comes out. It was revolutionary.

It's pretty shit by today's standards but people forget just how ground breaking it was
>>
>>35763041
YES SOUTHERN BONES IS BEST BONES
I always loved when he would talk bout Georgia and his old life.
Everyone who likes bones look up the song old country doctor by KILLKILLKILLklingons
>>
>>35762737
>>35762767
>>35762842
I like voyager

the "long and perilous journey home" trope is one of my favorites

but yeah, Janeway is pretty bad
>>
>>35762852

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCC0OaU8ndA
>>
>>35763092
TOS is like the television version of The Beatles.
>>
For the TOS-loving crowd, what are your favorite episodes that don't get much appreciation?

A Taste Of Armageddon is strongly written epsiode, decrying the practice of proxy war, produced and broadcast during the Vietnam war.

Obsession is one of my favorites, about a mysterious alien menace Kirk faced as a junior officer. It's one of the best episodes focusing on a continuous theme throughout the show, the duties and responsibilities of leadership.
>>
>>35763092
I'm going to have to disagree.

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea was years earlier and was very similar. The only thing it lacked was any sense of philosophy or morality. It was a strictly Bad Guys & Monsters tv show, but it still had sci-fi elements, and ensemble crew, scientific mysteries, exploration, etc.

Basically I think all TOS did was take Forbidden Planet, mix it with Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, and say "Well, that works pretty well". And it did.

But Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea is still amazing, albeit not nearly as enchanting as TOS.
>>
>>35763120

See, exactly. I love all the moments where you can see Kirk thinking 'what the fuck, woman'. Dagger Of The Mind is good for this as well.
>>
TOS was awful. The creators had no consistent concept of a proper ethos that Starfleet officers should have followed. I mean, the characters regularly break out into bar fights at the drop of a hat. It's scripted like a cheesy Western set in space. This is to say nothing of the horrible '70s retrofuturistic aesthetic.

TNG was a mixed bag. The series began to adopt more consistent ideals and characterization points. But the earlier seasons definitely suffered from poorly designed (or grossly underfunded) sets.

DS9 took the series in a more appropriate direction with consistent story arcs rather than one episode after the other being an encounter with some random scientific anomaly that the crew resolved by the end of each episode. The writing kind of sucks sometime after the Dominion arc settles in, but it was otherwise an enjoyable series.

VOY was probably my favorite, despite its numerous issues with inconsistent writing. Too many characters end up underdeveloped, and some writers ignore previously established character traits outright. Janeway was also way more likeable than Kirk or Sisko.
>>
>>35763189
The festival episode, it was fucking crazy
>>
>>35763515
VOY started with so much promise. It's a crying shame.
>>
>>35763515
It WAS a cheesy western in space, that's why it was so good. You basically described why tos was good then said "that's why it's bad"
>>
>>35763515
Janeway is the dumbest captain ever. I don't know how she got into the chair but throw that bitch into the airlock cuz wew what an incompetent slut.
>>
This is a good Star Trek movie.
>>
>>35763515
Voy has no characters except the Doctor.

Janeway is retarded. Chakotay is a meme. Neelix is Barney The Dinosaur. Discount Chandler is Discount Chandler. Asian guy is 100% irrelevant.

Every single character is one dimensional. VOY is a caricature of what a Star Trek show should be.

Year of Hell would have been a great story arc but it was shitcanned into being just a few episodes.
>>
Gene's death was the best thing to happen to the franchise.
>Let's make a story without the main ingredient
>>
File: 1485482372830.jpg (25KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
1485482372830.jpg
25KB, 266x400px
I don't know if anyone else watched Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine. My only problem with the series is that Sorbo is too much of a Mary Sue self-insert. He even took over the writing in later seasons so that most episodes revolve around his character.

As long as you don't take it too seriously, it's a pretty enjoyable series. Also, Canadian TV.
>>
>>35764124
If we're broadening the topic to shitty sci-fi shows, Dark Matter is enjoyable in a B- sort of way.

I like the idea of a bunch of ruthless bloodthirsty homicidal fuckups losing their memories and being given a second chance to be good people but still having to live with the fact they were/are monsters.

Acting is piss poor but I don't mind. It feels exactly like a mid 90's sci-fi TV show. Fun and enjoyable but also low budget and flawed.
>>
>>35762398
Because it was that or a western. Consider the time it was made idiot.
>>
>>35764259
>>35764124
You're both wring
Stargate sg1 is the obvious best non star trek sci-fi
Until season five or six. Then it just gets really really bad.
>>
>>35762398
it was cool but not that great right now, after it already influenced the entire industry to constantly copy it

this is some full blown seinfeld effect
>>
>>35764124
yeah I fucking loved andromeda, used to watch it with my dad all the time

that and mutant-x
>>
What are some good games in which I can be a captain/commander and not a helmsman and gunner? Is Naval Action any good?
>>
>>35764399
Silent Hunter
>>
>>35764606
Neat. I used to play PT-109 as a kid. I don't know who put that floppy there. It was like Elite II, but on a boat.
>>
>>35762398
Remember it WAS cancelled after all.
>>
>>35762398
Weak bait.
You should be ashamed of yourself for this JJ
>>
File: 1432002458450.png (208KB, 407x475px) Image search: [Google]
1432002458450.png
208KB, 407x475px
>All these fucking imbeciles hating on Voyager
>But DS9 (the absolute most boring series with muh nigger retard captain) is the best!
You are all insufferable plebs in danger of hellfire.
>>
>>35764304
>they all speak english for no reason
Fuck you. The movie/book was great but the show? Fuck you.
>>
>>35765745
Deep space nine had the most interdasting character plots. It's my fav.
>>
For me the appeal was watching Shatner pretending he can act. Non stop comedy.
>>
>>35765780
No it did not, you filthy subhuman. It had NO plots. It had Bajorans, a dumb fucking wormhole that did nothing, and a bunch of fucking shapeshifters who did nothing.

>Muh Quark
>Muh nigger captain's forced laughing
God that shit is pure fucking cringe. And Voyager was fucking great. It was the last of the great StarTreks and thus had the best effects. It also most heavily featured the Borg, although TNG is almost certainly the best series. DS9, on the other hand is only good in comparison to TOS or Enterfail.
>>
>>35765911
There's more than 2 characters idiot. Just read a review to realise why it's special.
>>
>>35765911
>the best effects
You child I >>35767000 missed that. Kill yourself.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.