[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My brother told me to stop using the depression excuse and that

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: giphy-facebook_s.jpg (31KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.jpg
31KB, 480x270px
My brother told me to stop using the depression excuse and that he can use it on me if I can on him.

Depression excuse.

So, ribbits, is it an excuse or is acute depression real?
>>
>>35748951
It's absolutely an excuse. I used it as an excuse for years. Now my piece of shit brother uses it as an excuse, manipulating the shit out of my mom. He pulls the suicide card at the drop of a hat and complains about how bad everybody treats him even though my mom gives him a free room and whatever food he wants. Depressed people are manipulative and horrible.
>>
>>35748951
I am a complete useless autistic person. Being a shy and humble person doesn't will help me.
>>
>>35749020
You both sound like selfish psychopaths. Single mother I bet?

Most depressed people never use it as an excuse because they're too ashamed to even mention it to others
>>
>>35749020
I want to say
>If you're depressed you should keep it to yourself so you don't bother anyone with it
But I think that's a big factor in a lot of it.
>>
>>35749020
Normie, GETTHEFUCKOUTOFMINEDOMAIN!
>>
>>35748951
The thing is, it's not a real excuse.

if you can't make it in this life you have nobody to blame but yourself. Yeah life isn't fair. some social class situations prevent success and that is legitimate problem. But depression alone is not enough to excuse yourself. Yes it would explain your failure but if you want to succeed you must overcome it. there is only one way to ascension. you can only help yourself
>>
>>35748951
Depression is real, but a lot of people do use it as an excuse as well, even if they actually have it.

Depression makes you either very sad or very numb. You're more likely to engage in substance abuse and self-harm. Your old hobbies and interests aren't interesting or fun anymore and you lose contact with friends and family.

It's not easy, but you can overcome depression. It takes guts and willpower, though, and a lot of people become comfortable in their sadness and are scared to make a change. They use their depression as an excuse to not even try.

I think very few people try to pull the depression card if they don't actually have it, though, because it's not any fun to admit it, especially when a lot of people see it as only an excuse and a weakness.
>>
>>35749064
OP's brother says he uses at an excuse too. This obviously isn't uncommon.
This fucker stays in his room all day and texts novels to my mom at all hours of the night about how bad he's got it. If she so much as asks him to do the dishes he throws a tantrum and threatens to kill himself. A couple of times a week he starts drinking because he "just can't be sober rn" and starts screaming and smashing stuff.

>>35749067
Even if they don't mention it, they show it in everything they do. They just suck all the energy and happiness out of other people. Nobody wants to be around them because they're so self absorbed and hate everything.
>>
>>35749185
>They use their depression as an excuse to not even try.

How does one not do this
>>
>>35749212
it's called self refelection, social awareness and telling yourself not to be a little bitch.

Thats how I overcome it and so far it's working out
>>
>>35749230
Then weigh are you still here?
>>
>>35749270
idk, I was just thinking that myself. I'm about to walk to the bar across the street to get more beer because the beer I bought isnt working anymore and im still addied out
>>
>>35749303
Overcame depression with crippling alcoholism.

Right.
>>
>>35749322
lol it worked
>64k with 5k staring bonus job lined up
>friends
or
>never leaving my house
>afraid to talk to people

you pick one fucker
>>
>>35749193

Sounds like you're talking about your brother. Not all depressed people.
>>
File: 1275519374903.jpg (719KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1275519374903.jpg
719KB, 1440x900px
>>35749352

> Implying a good job and friends means you can't be depressed.

Please don't believe this anon.
>>
>>35749403
thats not what I was saying I was saying sober I would have nothing but abusing stims/benzos/and achohol in a controlled manner has lead me to the point of friends and a good job rather than isolating myself like sober me would do.
>>
Social anxiety is real. I get welts on my arm when an uncomfortable situation is confronting me. Actual welts appear all over my hands until I calm down. And my body starts to itch.

It's a psychosomatic response. Like I'm being threatened and my body doesn't know what to do.

Most of the time my depression forces me to sleep or compulsively browse the web because of intrusive sad thoughts.
>>
>>35749379
if you're neet and consider yourself depressed or have any self-diagnosed mental illness, you're the same.
>>
My brother likes to gaslight all the bad things that happened to me. He tried to say my therapist manipulated me into thinking I was molested as a kid.

I know my brother was also molested. He won't admit it. Therefore he can't help me and he'll also wonder why he has rage issues.
>>
>>35749484

I make 70k a year and live with a roommate and consider myself depressed.

What does that make me?
>>
>>35749430

The world isn't as black and white as you think it is.
>>
>>35749575
I've noticed occasionally people like that will get a decent job and move out, but they're always the same socially. Never have anything good to say about anything.
>>
>>35749636

> Never have anything good to say about anything.

You're just describing depression. I've got plenty good to say though.
>>
>>35749212
The guy who replied to you wasn't me, I was eating dinner, but I can try to explain.

Basically, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: the more you use your depression as an excuse, eg, I can't get a job/go out tonight/get a girlfriend/talk to my family/move out because of my depression, then it will turn out that way, you won't do any of those things because you aren't even trying.

I think the best way to do anything about depression is to keep a journal and set realistic goals for yourself. Write all the time that you feel sad and basically explain to yourself in writing what you feel and why you think you feel that way. It sounds dumb, but it's really therapeutic and has massive benefits when you rethink things like that and write them out in clear language.

The first step is going to be the hardest: you have to change your lifestyle to not enable you to sit around doing nothing as much. Sitting around doing nothing will always breed depression because as a human being you just weren't meant for it. You don't have to be a normie, but you should try to recapture your old hobbies, eat better, and try exercising, even without a gym. Compete with yourself, not other people. If you can do better than you did yesterday, you are going forward.

One thing it helps to remind myself is that "I might not want to do this now, but if I force myself to do it, even if it's painful, then I'll feel better for having done it and it will be easier next time."

Basically, if you can make yourself get that job, go to work, put down the bottle, stop buying snack cakes, etc, it might suck in the moment, but when you can look back a day later, you'll be proud that you did it, and then you can start making it a habit.
>>
>>35749810
emotional pain threshold versus will power
>>
>>35749810
thanks man, i am printing this and putting it up on my wall
you are changing my life and did the most. owe you my life
>>
>>35749810
thanks for rescuing me from auschwitz
>>
>>35749810
easier said than done, originalicious
>>
>>35749695
How are you depressed then?
>>
>>35748951
You sound like a bitch Eddie so get back to work
>>
>>35749695
>wahh I'm depressed
>you just perfectly described depression
>I'm not like that tho

You're stupid and in denial about how hard it is to be around you.
>>
>>35749914

Why do you think the world is so black and white? Are you trolling?

I can say whatever the fuck I want. "The lad from down the street has been fucking a toaster for a week and a half". Nothing stops me from saying good things, or things that other people would perceive as "good".

Doesn't mean I'm not dead inside.
>>
>>35749890
>>35749860
I'm doing my best lads, I've done what I could for me, I'm not perfect but I'm infinitely better than I was this time last year.

>>35749911
It always is. Everything is easier said than done. Talking is easy.
That attitude will be the death of you though, anon.
>>
>>35749953

Sounds like projecting.
>>
>>35749953

I said he's describing it. Not perfectly.

> Implying every person is the same.

Anon, plz..
>>
>>35749810
Thanks for this. Not only for me, but for others who may stumble across it.
>>
>>35748951

I don't like to use it as an excuse. I'm trying to fix it instead of just giving up and letting it ruin my life.
>>
>>35750971
Been following Forever Alone Feels YT channel and he's been actively fighting depression for years.

It's not like we don't try to fix our problems. It's that our problems are bigger than what we can handle. People don't realize.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.