[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friendly reminder that: >You are not your body >You ar

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: wojak meditating.jpg (55KB, 320x408px) Image search: [Google]
wojak meditating.jpg
55KB, 320x408px
Friendly reminder that:
>You are not your body
>You are not your emotions
>You are not your thoughts or ideas
You are consciousness, and that consciousness is whole and complete and worthy of love and admiration, even if your body, your emotions or your thoughts are not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ARUlzRb_c
>>
File: buddha017.jpg (75KB, 250x335px) Image search: [Google]
buddha017.jpg
75KB, 250x335px
>>35732545
Was buddha aIt right?
>>
>>35732561
Nah, he was a centrist.
>>
>>35732545
Consciousness is just your body, emotions, thoughts, and ideas combined and working in tandem. Try again
>>
File: smug pepe.jpg (99KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.jpg
99KB, 600x800px
>>35732613
>he has not experienced pure consciousness free from emotions, thoughts and sensory input
>tries to teach others what consciousness is or isn't
>>
File: 1490272424978.jpg (71KB, 320x408px) Image search: [Google]
1490272424978.jpg
71KB, 320x408px
>>35732545
ggg ugu uwu aga aga i should go to bed now but succ me zurkenburger
>>
Literally the polar opposite of the Eastern Philosophical approach to the self.
>>
>>35732664
And how would you define the eastern philosophical approach to the self?
>>
>>35732649
>I am borderline braindead and can switch off my thoughts like a dog
>This makes me "enlightened"
Meditation is a meme.
>>
It's been a while since we've had a enlightenment thread.
How is everyone doing? Did you realize that your are the universe experiencing itself yet?
>>
>>35732692
No one says that turning off your thoughts makes you enlightened, but watching them appear on your consciousness and let them be does.
Meditation is a meme only if you practice it thinking that you are going to get something out of it.
>>
File: aliem.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
aliem.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>35732649
literally this my guys don't fall for the metaphysics meme
On the other hand I am finding meditation to be practically useful for becoming more calm and thoughtful. What's your routine people?
>>
>>35732784
>meditation is a meme only if you expect to get anything out of it
So you admit that it doesn't give you anything... which is admitting that it's a meme
>>
>>35732545
i own my body
i own my emotions
i own my thoughts and ideas
and i like all of those things very much
>>
>>35732798
of course it doesn't give you anything, it is just a parenthesis in your daily ego experience where you allow yourself to be aware of the things that makes your ego think it's suffering
>>
>>35732959
>implying that your ego can't actually suffer
>>
>>35732813
not one of those things were created be you or were given to you, your just a ripple effect on what we call reality, just like a wave. A wave can't say it own its movement or shape, then how could you?
>>
>>35732998
sure it can suffer, but are you your ego?
>>
File: 1301127669_J_krishnamurthi[1].jpg (38KB, 400x448px) Image search: [Google]
1301127669_J_krishnamurthi[1].jpg
38KB, 400x448px
Is anyone here familiar with Jiddu Krishnamurti? What do you think of his teachings?
>>
>>35732613
>consciousness is just

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>35733008
>A wave is not a thing in itself but the result of several things acting upon a body of water like wind, rotation of the Earth and the pull of the moons gravity

Really makes me geniunely think, thanks anon.
>>
>>35732784
>Meditation is a meme only if you practice it thinking that you are going to get something out of it.

But you can meditate specifically to get something out of it, like jhana (deep and profound bliss), though focusing solely on that instead of just recognizing it as just one possibility of the results of the practice of meditation is probably not wise I guess.

Meditation does give you practical benefits and changes though as verified and researched by Western science so its important I think to relay that to others who have a misconception of what it is and consider it useless.

Hell just tell anons on /r9k to try to concentrate on their breathing and nothing else for 5 minutes and not let themselves drift off with their thoughts, only returning to their breath and awareness of their breathing each time they drift, and they will quickly see how difficult it is, and then they will realize meditation is a serious practice and difficult one at that, that requires discipline, effort and consistency.
>>
>>35732545

>>>/x/

get out originally
>>
>>35733023
As I basically said here >>35732613
Yes
>>
>>35733294
Not that guy, but try to view it like this. You have 2 natures. One is always changing(your body, emotions, thoughts, and ideas combined and working in tandem), the only is always the same(consciousness as a possibility).
>>
>>35732545
shut the FUCK up you coffee enema loving, beta male, hippie ass, opiate taking, yoga performing, pseudophilosophy, faux psychology, spiritualist, buddhist wannabe, monk reject BITCH ASS fucker
>>
>>35733320
I don't think there's much reason/evidence to believe that the latter actually exists.
>>
>>35733294
you are not your ego silly, that's just a bunch of thoughts
>>
>>35733354
You are conscious aren't you? There you go.
>>
>>35733391
>>35733378
That consciousness is a product of everything else, not the other way around.
>>
>>35733333
behold, the quints of truth
>>
>>35733417
>That consciousness is a product of everything else

There is no reason a mechanical process would need to produce a 'conscious' after effect to function.
It is more correct to say that consciousness is everything in the absolute sense. Your consciousness isn't produced by your brain, ect, it is your brain ect.
>>
File: 1392650390076.jpg (121KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1392650390076.jpg
121KB, 600x450px
>>35733333
quints confirming open mindedness is cancer
>>
>>35733456
You say that, but if I destroyed part of your brain, your consciousness would become drastically altered or would cease to exist. Seems like a product of mechanical function to me; the "need" to produce it is irrelevant
>>
>>35733444
Trips to confirm the quints are in fact truth
>>
>>35733494
>but if I destroyed part of your brain, your consciousness would become drastically altered or would cease to exist.

Yeah, because you would be drastically altering the shape of my consciousness. I am not saying there is some ghostly immaterial consciousness, I am saying the material is conscious.
>>
File: 1427820103132.png (214KB, 1024x1113px) Image search: [Google]
1427820103132.png
214KB, 1024x1113px
>>35733499
dubs to confirm the trips are in fact truth
>>
File: 1489021504138.png (452KB, 1029x710px) Image search: [Google]
1489021504138.png
452KB, 1029x710px
>>35733333
these digits do not lie. better reconsider your life philosophy OP
>>
>>35733522
No, it would be altering the shape of your brain. It's infantile to just use rhetoric that implies that there is a difference between brain+thoughts and consciousness and then remove that distinction when it no longer benefits your argument.
>>
>>35733630
>that implies that there is a difference between brain+thoughts and consciousness

I implied the opposite. Consciousness a possibility is to identify with the 'universe', instead of with your personality. In the absolute sense, the bounderies of your body, brain and so on are abstractions. The idea of a brain as an object is preceded by the capacity for ideas.
>>
>>35733630
I think you're missing the point. The objective of this thread isn't to define consciousness, it's to become aware of the mental clouding that doesn't let you enjoy being.
>>
>>35732692
You've never ascended into another realm because your mind is so narrow.
>>
>>35733700
>Consciousness is the ability to identify with the "universe"
This doesn't mean anything.
>the idea of a brain as an object is preceded by the capacity for ideas
But the idea of a brain as an object is preceded by an actual brain. Consciousness is most likely just neurochemical and electrical signals interpreted by the brain.
>>35733776
>mental clouding
>aka everything that makes up who you are
Turning off your personality doesn't change it
>>
>>35733811
Have fun with your schizophrenia. Sounds rough
>>
>>35733860
>This doesn't mean anything.
You didn't quote it correctly. There is the circumstances by which your consciousness is given shape and there is consciousness a possibility which is the concept of consciousness.

>But the idea of a brain as an object is preceded by an actual brain.

"An actual brain" is an idea of a brain as an object. What is difference between the atomic composition of a living human and a dead human? Only that there is in the live human more movement/activity.
So rather than saying that consciousness is caused by movement, you should say that consciousness is strictly speaking matter moving in a certain way.
Thus is consciousness not predicated on your specific memories, ideas or experience.
>>
>>35733968
>There is the circumstances by which your consciousness is given shape
Okay.
>and there is consciousness a possibility which is the concept of consciousness
Meaningless babble.
>"An actual brain" is an idea of a brain as an object
No, an "actual brain" is not an idea of an object, it IS a physical object.
>What is the difference between the atomic composition of a living human and a dead human?
The atomic composition isn't nearly as important as the cellular/chemical/biological difference. That's like saying there's no difference between a functioning computer and a non-functioning one; I mean they both have the same parts, right? What difference does it make if the parts are working or un-damaged?
>consciousness is matter moving in a specific way
A specific way that is heavily altered and dictated and,dare I say it, even predicated on your specific memories, ideas, or experience.
>>
>>35734130
>Meaningless babble.

You are conscious, I am conscious. If consciousness is your specific circumstances then I could not be conscious.

>No, an "actual brain" is not an idea of an object, it IS a physical object.

What is your definition of physical object?

>The atomic composition isn't nearly as important as the cellular/chemical/biological difference.

It is the same thing. You could build a castle with lego, but it is still just lego. The only objective difference is the level of movement/activity.

>A specific way that is heavily altered and dictated and,dare I say it, even predicated on your specific memories, ideas, or experience.

That doesn't make any sense. How can the motion of matter be predicated on what you claim is an inconsequential after effect of it?
>>
If you're a Westerner you should just read Schopenhauer for your Eastern spiritual fix. Especially, the world as will and representation.
>>
>>35734186
A physical object is a body of matter that has some sort of border or boundary, which can come in different forms, that differentiates it from its surroundings.
>it's still just lego
Yes, but it's also A FUCKING CASTLE. A PILE OF BRICKS AND A FULLY BUILT CASTLE ARE NOT THE SAME THING, this difference becomes even more meaningful with LIVING THINGS THAT HAVE BODILY FUNCTIONS
>How can the motion of matter be predicated on what you claim is an inconsequential after effect of it?
Don't misrepresent my argument. I claimed that consciousness is nothing more than a byproduct of thoughts, emotions, etc. I also claimed that those thoughts and emotions can affect the brain and the matter that runs through it. I did not claim that some separate "consciousness" is what's doing it.

I'm done with this conversation, you pedantic fuck. Remember that even when you ignore your brain telling you that you're a pathetic waste of space, you still ARE one, just like the rest of us.
>>
File: transcending wojak.png (496KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
transcending wojak.png
496KB, 633x758px
>>35733333
>>35733444
>>35733499
wew lads, better wrap it up and go kill my ego
>>
>>35734351
>A physical object is a body of matter that has some sort of border or boundary,

The boundary has to be determined. Before it is determined it isn't an object in itself.

>Yes, but it's also A FUCKING CASTLE.
So how many legos do you need to add before your lego becomes conscious?

>I claimed that consciousness is nothing more than a byproduct of thoughts, emotions, etc.

No you actually claimed that, that was what consciousness was. The by-product part was in relation to the physical object of your body and brain.

>I'm done with this conversation, you pedantic fuck.
Okay dude, take care.
>>
>>35732692
>I am borderline braindead and can switch off my thoughts like a dog

You clearly have no idea what meditation is
>>
File: IMG_1595.gif (49KB, 360x359px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1595.gif
49KB, 360x359px
Anyone on here ever had experiences with meditating to some drone metal?

Might try out pic related and some Sunn O)))
>>
>>35734487
I wouldn't recommend Sunn 0))) but Earth 2 is fucking amazing to sit still and do nothing to.
>>
File: 1476405243992.gif (22KB, 590x404px) Image search: [Google]
1476405243992.gif
22KB, 590x404px
I know moon runes and have been studying buddhism. The hippies of the 60's spread a warped interpretation of it. They think nirvana promotes drugs and is about hallucinating but its the exact opposite. The imagery relating to western buddhism is mostly hippie influenced when it should be related to things like the actual religious artifacts + buildings left over, and things when India was mostly aryan. Theres lots of buddhism in Japaense anime and games. Ghost in the shell, serial experiments lain to name a few. It has more to do with cyborgs and transhumanism than nature loving fags. The only accurate interpretation of buddhism that i know of in the west is the Matrix.
>>
>>35735802

meant to reply to
>>35733333

oregano
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.