[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exactly how is "be yourself" bad advice? I mean, it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1461852399119.jpg (28KB, 273x282px) Image search: [Google]
1461852399119.jpg
28KB, 273x282px
Exactly how is "be yourself" bad advice? I mean, it obviously is but the people I've pointed that out to have asked me to explain and I have no idea how.
>>
It's bad advice because if you're actually a shitty human being then being not yourself would actually help out more
>>
Should Hitler have just "been himself"?

Do you think I'm putting on some facade that gets me socially outcast for shits and giggles thus far?
>>
>>35688992
If being yourself hasn't worked so far it is unreasonable to think it will eventually work.
>>
>Have no friends or gf or whatever
>People tell you to be yourself
>When yourself is the motherfucker who has no friends or gf or whatever
Hmmm
>>
>>35688992
it only works if you are attractive.
>>
if you ask for advice and you get told just be yourself hes basically saying just keep doing what youre doing
even though its obviously not working and so bad to a point were you look for help just to get told fuck off i dont care about you just be yourself/keep doing what youre doing
its extremely rude
>>
>>35688992
IMO I think it refers to the old idea that "people that genuinely like you will do so when you're being yourself", however this does not consider how some personalities are naturally repellant to the most popular or "normie" archetypes of society, therefore invalidating the premise that you being you would get you anywhere since this is the very reason nobody likes you.

hope I made sense
>>
>>35688992
It's good advice because if you be yourself in social situations you'll eventually find like minded people instead of faking it and landing a bunch of friends you share nothing with

It's not meant to be advice to robots but to people that are already somewhat socially adept and need that last push to find a social circle
>>
File: 1483527106906.png (266KB, 980x742px) Image search: [Google]
1483527106906.png
266KB, 980x742px
>>35689038
>bringing up Hitler into any conversation

There's always one
>>
>>35688992

Because there are social norms as how you're supposed to behave in public. Yeah maybe if I went on a date I'd want to talk about pepe the frog. Maybe I"m interested by that. But if I want to have any chance of getting laid/second date then I'm not going to talk about an cartoon internet frog.
>>
>>35688992
Because i've always been genuine and i never had any women willing to date me.
ZERO women have showed any signs of even wanting to be my friend, and i'm not even that ugly.
>>
>>35689235
You have to be yourself and put yourself out there

Do you talk to girls?
>>
>>35688992
It depends really. The wording seems like a catch all cop out. While "being yourself" is a bad thing because we can always be better versions of ourselves and being the same shitty person isn't going to work, don't be yourself. But what I think the average normie means when he says "be yourself' they mean don't try and emulate others or don't try and become your role models. Don't be too impressionable and don't act fake because people can generally tell when you are being fake.
>>
>>35688992
Show them the teachings of Pook.
Look up the Book of Pook.
>>
>>35689038
Hitler was himself and almost everyone in his country loved him.
>>
>>35688992
"Be yourself" is women advice meant for women only.
>>
File: 1483389712931s.jpg (7KB, 186x250px) Image search: [Google]
1483389712931s.jpg
7KB, 186x250px
>>35689068
Really does that thing
>>
>>35688992
Because being you is making you miserable. It is time to make a change, isn't it?

Being yourself is making you a sad sack stick in the mud. Fortunately most of you posses the capacity to change. Unfortunately many of you lack the will. That too can be corrected with enough effort but the task is sisyphean.
>>
First of all it's not actually advice. You can't not be yourself. In fact, yourself is the only thing you can be.

Also when meeting new people "being yourself" just shows lack of social awareness, as you're expected to not talk about personal subjects early on and instead just banter and act like you're cool until you earn the other person's trust. Which is the opposite of what "being yourself" is supposed to mean.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.