[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever moved to a new city by yourself with no job and

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

File: 1489912052136.jpg (223KB, 1037x767px) Image search: [Google]
1489912052136.jpg
223KB, 1037x767px
Has anyone ever moved to a new city by yourself with no job and no friends/family?

How did it turn out?
>>
>>35681416

i've had this fantasy before.

I decided it would be too difficult so I never did it. wages these days make it hard to afford to rent something on your own, so you'd need to find someone looking for a roommate. You'd probably want to have a decent amount saved up before you go and at least have a car so you have something to live in if it all goes to shit. The second time I moved out of my parents house, I couldn't find a job. I applied all over the place, made phone calls, etc... and never got any serious replies. so you'd have to make sure that wherever you go isn't a college town or all the wageslave jobs will be taken up by students.

it's up to you, but it's a big risk. try to be prepared.
>>
>>35681476
I've done a fair amount of research.

I would look for someone renting out a room in their house/apt on a weekly/month to month basis.

Then, despite me having a degree, my goal would be to get on a payroll. Any sort of payroll.
This will buy me from flexibility since I'll have money coming in and it will buy me some time to learn more about the town and make an informed decision about where I should move permanently.

Des Moines is the city I'm considering.
>>
>>35681416
yes, did exactly this. moved to a remote place completely inaccessible to everyone I ever knew. no family, no friends, no job.

spent over two years almost completely alone wallowing in soul-crushing depression while living off of money I had saved up from a previous job.

minded my own business and spent a lot of time crying and listening to music.

moved back to my hometown after money ran out.
>>
Yes I did, but I had a lot saved up and a small side income too.
>>
>>35681416
i moved from this to this.

not much changed.
>>
It isn't humanely possible anymore in this day and age. You have to be rich enough to that moving was never a necessity in the first place.
>>
>>35682554
what are you smoking? It costs nothing to move if you rent (maybe an agency fee). Unless youre buying houses then you can move every year with pretty much no issue. Theres no reason to buy appartments so if you live in a city then you can freely and frequently move.
>>
>>35681416
I did, actually a few times. The first time I had a lot saved and didn't have a job setup. The second time I didn't have much but had a very low paying job setup. What would you like to know? I recommend doing it.

The advise I'd give is book something like an extended stay america or similar through a deal site for maybe 2 weeks? These places have little kitchens so you don't have to eat out. The hotel cost and eating out cost will take up a lot of money while you look around for a permanent place.

I'd say do it just plan well. I think the one thing you'll learn is how fast life can change. Positive and negatively.

>>35682554
You probably need a reliable car and a couple thousand saved up.
>>
>>35681416
I am still living in the same city I was born but I cut ties with my family when I got a job and saved enough money to move like 30km away. Does that count?
>>
>>35681769
Could you elaborate on this. I felt the same way in the first year of uni. No one post real stories on this board anymore.
>>
I moved to a new city with no friends/family but I had a job lined up

If you want to move without a job be sure to pick a city where you have good prospects based on your qualifications/experience. I'd recommend having 3 months living expenses saved at a minimum, 4 months would be safer. If you can't find a job in 4 months of looking full time then maybe city life isn't for you.
>>
File: 1489526868076.jpg (48KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1489526868076.jpg
48KB, 500x333px
>>35682554

Its never been easier. Anyone can move at any time with no or minimal cost.
>>
>>35682633
>What would you like to know?

How much stuff did you bring with you initially? I have a compact car, so I can only bring a few things.

I've looked into getting the rest of my stuff shipped halfway across the country and found some affordable options, but I'm debating whether I should even bring stuff like cookware, mixing bowls, computer printer.
>>
>>35681416
literally the same as it was, but that's probably because i already didn't have any friends and i barely talked to my family
>>
I did but not without the help of family
stayed with relatives an hour away while commuting in to find a job
got help finding a month to month rental
got a loan for first month's rent
mom funneled cash in so I didn't die along on the way
if i had about 2500 instead of being a broke NEET the latter parts wouldn't have been necessary, though, and the 2nd you can do by yourself
>>
>>35682670
sure
>early 20s
>family life was garbage, was torn between two broken step families growing up, both step families had dissolved completely by this point
>hated hometown with a passion
>lived in a shitty rundown apartment by myself
>all local friends had fucked off to college because their lives were in order and they had supportive families
>working shitty job with tons of overtime, making good money but hating every second of it
>dating nerd girl long distance
>visiting nerd girl during holidays
>dumped by nerd girl while I'm there because she met some other guy who was smarter and cooler than me
>she actually introduces me to said guy, can't really deny that he's better than me
>whoops, there goes the last bit of my self-esteem
>loved said girl more than was rational or healthy
>nothing left
>quit job, why bother
>sell all my shit, no point
>go on craigslist, look at random cities, find one that sounds nice enough, find listing from a guy looking for a roommate
>email him
>"yo this sounds weird but if I pay you three months rent up front would you be cool with me moving in sight unseen despite the fact that I'm coming from out of state and don't have any sort of job lined up"
>"uh, sure, bro, sounds good"
>send him money order
>book flight
>pack shit
>go

doubt any of this is particularly interesting, but I can continue if you want
>>
>>35682825
Sure keep it going
>>
File: IMAG0612.jpg (2MB, 3831x2175px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0612.jpg
2MB, 3831x2175px
I moved to Seattle from the Midwest about a year ago. I saved all of my earnings for 3 months (was living with my parents) and then locked down a tiny ass studio. Bought plane ticket, flew out, signed lease and then got a job at a nearby grocery store.

Memes aside, it is really cool out here and I am very glad I did it, even if I left my family.
>>
File: Ub3vl.jpg (231KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ub3vl.jpg
231KB, 1920x1200px
>>35682870
it's kinda anticlimactic, tho
>move in
>roommate is chill and minds his own business, pretty much exactly what I wanted
>feel immeasurably better for the first few weeks, everything feels like an ADVENTURE because nothing is familiar
>"damn, this is real, I really did it, this place is amazing, SO MUCH BETTER than where I used to be"
>bit of time passes
>what was novel for a while starts to feel mundane
>spend a lot of time walking around the neighborhood late at night, all alone
>start to realize it's really not that much different from where I was before
>went from having very few people I knew nearby to literally fucking nobody
>not feeling so great
>start drinking, start smoking
>doesn't actually help
>read about pot, everyone swears it's the best thing in the world, makes life fun and chill and comfy
>find pot dealer on craigslist
>smoke a bunch by myself
>get paranoid as hell
>pace around my bedroom for what feels like hours
>walk around the neighborhood barefoot and shirtless and confused and scared
>finally manage to get myself back home and into bed, sleep it off
>wew lad, that didn't work
>try smoking (less) pot again at later dates, never feels good
>definitely a drug for happy normies, give up on it
>now what?
>>
>>35683127
cont:
>lonelier than ever
>try spending more time exploring this new area
>look up interesting places in the region, find stuff that interests me
>go to these places, feels okay, doesn't feel great, just makes me wish I had someone to share it with
>spend a lot of time thinking about how this place really isn't that much better or different from where I grew up.
>except cost of living is way more fucking expensive
>still too depressed to work
>savings getting drained more and more, month after month
>all of the time alone with no obligations or responsibilities has given me a chance to really think about things, though
>realize how you can't depend on anyone else for anything else
>realize how important self-sufficiency is, even if it seems impossible
>realize that it's okay to find happiness through other people, but it's important to contextualize it, to keep it contained, to remind yourself not to get too invested
>nothing good lasts
>this goes for everything. relationships, experiences, living arrangements
>running out of money
>still like the place I've moved to, but the romanticism of being a big ADVENTURE has mostly worn off
>been talking to people from my home town
>"christ, it's so much cheaper there, and I could have a couple of friends at least"
>made literally one friend in the new town, and she was about to move out of state to go back to college
>go on a few more "adventures"
>sell the shit I've accumulated over the past couple of years
>move back to where I came from
>>
>>35683123

Why did you choose seattle?
>>
>>35683213

Your failure was obvious, you didn't/couldn't branch out socially in the new city

If you are not going to meet people through work you need to attend a bunch of meetup.com events, join clubs, take classes, play sports etc and actively keep in touch with the people you gel with. Invite them to drinks, poker games tennis/golf etc

Adult friendships are not like school, you don't just stumble in to them, they take work to maintain because everyone has their own lives now. This is the vitally important skill you learn when moving to a new city.
>>
>>35683325

You can't just move to a city and spend all your time smoking weed and drinking alone in your room, you can do that for much cheaper in flyover country as you identified
>>
>>35683289
Liked the scenery. And it always seemed like an appealing city to me, homeless trans hipsters aside. My parents used to watch Frasier a lot when I was a child, maybe that had something to do with it.
>>
Yes. I actually skipped out from Washington State to Chile at 22 and that was 10 long years ago.
Regret it? Are you kidding, never even thought about returning to 'Murrca.
Hot wife and two lil half-breed kids that everyone loses their shit over how cute they are...
>>
>>35683325
no shit, normie. did you miss the part about being miserably depressed?

obviously the failure was my own fault and I didn't do the shit I needed to do to make it work out in a lasting way. I was too miserable to behave in a constructive, rational manner.
>>
>>35681416
I'm gonna do it after I ask out my oneitis and if she rejects me or we break up

Cause she's wife material and if I dont start a family I'm gonna just travel and work and fuck around
>>
>>35683385

Sorry I probably shouldn't have used the word 'failure' it comes off as too confrontational

I personally love city living and my post was more meant to defend cities rather than to attack you
>>
>>35683373
What job do you do in Chile ?
>>
>>35683418
it's cool, I get what you're saying. maybe some day I'll be less broken and I'll be able to make something like that work
>>
I have some money saved up from sports betting, 130k in bitcoin 15k in gold, but I have a criminal record for possessing marijuana twice, the second time was bad because hash is a felony where I live.
what options do I have for moving, I'm sure the felony would affect my chance at employment and renting.
I just want a comfy life in Colorado or California where I can smoke and hike. I'd probably prefer Colorado because you can use marijuana on probation which I'm on for 3 more years.
How do you buy a place? I basically live like a NEET with little expenses, I'd even be down to buy a trailer with cash and chill there for years.
Are there any books I can read or should I maybe start leaving the house to talk to people and learn how to do shit?
>>
>>35683671

I'd be shocked if you couldn't find a property in Colorado for $145k cash, just buy one and move there and make artisinal jam or some shit and sell it online or at farmers markets.

Also I'd consider diversifying that BTC in to some other cryptos if I were you, mainly ETH. Bad shit coming down the pipe in the bitcoin community right now, possible the coin will split.
>>
>>35683705
Would I be able to purchase a property with a bundle of bills? I don't know how taxes work, so I wouldn't want to move it into a bank account.
Yeah, I regret not diversifying after the ETF denial, but I'll probably diversify soon or cash out to gold/silver. The bitcoin community infighting is toxic, I hope they figure it out.
>>
Yes. I'm from Tennessee but I go to college in Texas. I didn't know anybody here when I originally moved.
>>
>>35683770

I suppose technically you could, yes, but there's no reason you would and it's obviously a huge risk to carry so much cash around.

Taxes are easy, just google the nearest independent accountant and get them to do it for you, it will cost like $300, then you can have all the cash cleanly in a bank account. Just avoid the big chains like H&R Block.
>>
Moved to Tokyo without a job.
Broke up with my ex over the phone.
Used to drink $2 convenience store whiskey to pass out on my $20 air mattress in a room the size of a walk-in closet.

10 years later and I have six figures in the bank, am married, know a ton of close friends here and have immigrated to Japan. People overestimate what they can do in 1 year and underestimate what they can do in 10.
>>
>>35683770
>>35683811

Also purchasing with cash will not protect you from taxes, if anything it will put you on their radar buying a property without filing any tax returns and they will just take the house from you
>>
>>35683325
>you didn't/couldn't branch out socially in the new city
geez
this makes me feel really sick.
i mean have you ever think about it ? that there are people who are just not able to find interest in building social relationship with people anymore ?
>>
>>35683832
>People overestimate what they can do in 1 year and underestimate what they can do in 10.

Original line or did you hear that somewhere?
>>
Fuck that I've done entire country moves. Did it in Australia, worked out alright for the job and alright with friends but overall I want better and it wasn't what I was expecting. Next plan is America.
>>
Ive lived in the same city all my life and I have now 2-4 friends down from, I dunno like 30

I just kept cutting them out as they annoyed me and here we are

I could pack up and move and life would be exactly the same, except it'd probably be better when I explain why I have so few friends

I dropped them all for being degenerates, either drugs, theives, liars, loser normies who only talk about whats on tv
>>
>>35683952
It's a quote from Bill Gates.
>>
>>35683811
>>35683866
thanks for the advice, I'll need to contact an accountant sometime
>>
File: good kids 1.jpg (252KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
good kids 1.jpg
252KB, 1440x960px
>>35681416
Yeah.
When I was 16 mom died; choked to death on her own vomit when she was drunk. Like every night. Just before I turned 17 my dad was arrested for tax evasion, embezzlement, and fraud. The trial sucked assloads of money to the lawyers. Then he was convicted and the IRS took the house and all the cash. Everything else was auctioned off to cover fines. He went to prison and I had $18 left. I stayed with an aunt, but she woke each morning reminding me
1) She hated me
2) I needed to find my own place
3) She hated me
4) I needed a job
5) She hated me
6) I was turning 18 in a month and she could throw me out THAT DAY
I was about to join the army when a pal said his dad (divorced) would hire me if I moved to Woodstock, Georgia. He was manager for a hardware store and would get me a job. I searched and called around and found a trailer for rent just 1/2 a mile from the hardware store that was just $120/month plus utilities. I had sold off a bunch of my gaming books, comics, and manga so I had some cash so I pre-paid the first month and the day I turned 18 I took a bus, then took local buses. It took me 2 days and 1/2 my remaining cash to get there.
more
>>
what sort of job would you need to sustain such a big move? you need at least 64k salary to live comfortably, how could you build that up while deciding to go live in another country?
>>
>>35684048
jesus, shit go. i guess this is what its like being born black without a dad to some bitch mom. everythings fucked from the get go.
>>
>>35684055
>you need at least 64k salary to live comfortably,

wtf? your definition of comfort isnt universal. thats more than enough to live way more than comfortable.
>>
>>35684048
jesus that's fucked. Did you do well?
>>
>>35684132
>dude posts on /r9k/ in 2017
you tell me faget.
>>
>>35684055
>>35684108
Yeah, $64k is waaaayyy more than you need in a lot of places. I live comfortably off of about $8k in semi-rural suburbia. (About 35 minutes from the closest major metropolitan city center)
>>
File: cathfam.jpg (150KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
cathfam.jpg
150KB, 640x445px
>>35684048
The trailer was one of those small camping trailers, and it was old and falling apart. At least the tiny toilet was plumbed.
I called the guy that day and he didn't answer until the next, Saturday.
He'd been fired.
I had no job.
Monday I walked to the hardware store, hoping, and applied. But the manager there read my app and said,
"Hey, didn't [the guy we just fired] want to hire you?"
"Yeah. I moved here for the job."
"If you're a friend of his, never come back"
I went to a public library I passed on the walk and did all the BS I needed to get a card. Tuesday I had access to the internet there and I started looking for work. I applied for a warehouse job nearby and decided why not go? I walked over and told the guy up front I had applied online, but I lived real close. He talked to me for a few minutes then took me to the manager. All they wanted to know was how close did I live?
>7 blocks
Did I drink?
>Never, it killed my mom
and they hired me, $5.15/hour to be a warehouse assistant. I started second shift the next day. Paid weekly
With the shift differential I made almost $6/hr. I was taking home $200/wk. I used a check cashing place for the first check, but there was a bank in the grocery store just 2 miles off, so I got an account there.
more
>>
File: 1489672322057.jpg (52KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1489672322057.jpg
52KB, 604x453px
>>35684209
i reall like this. please keep going!
>>
>>35684209
>>35684283
me 2 original oregano
>>
>>35684209
The work was boring, the warehouse was always hot, but it wasn't dangerous if you paid attention. Most of my co-workers either spet all their money on drugs and booze, were immigrants who spoke no English, or guys where it was their second job. But there were two guys, TImmy and Joe, that were great. They had different days than me, so I worked 3 with Timmy and 2 with Joe. The shift supervisor was great, too. After about 3 months he told me I was the only guy who never complained.
I had been saving my money like I was insane, buying just the very bare minimum of what I needed. After 5 months I bought a scooter from a place near the grocery. I had planned ahead and went straight to the DMV and got my license and everything just before my Indiana license expired. The guys at worked teased me a little, but Timmy loved it, especially when I told him how little I spent on gas and insurance.
The supervisor found out I had a scooter and could go places, so he pulled me in and we talked a bit about it. Then he sent me to a class on forklifts so I could get certified. 2 weeks later I had my OSHA card and my Georgia card and I was making $8.50/hour for 2nd shift. It took me just 2 more months to save up what I needed next.
more
>>
>>35684375
please dont break my heart. I'm rooting for you!!!
>>
>>35684375
i dropped out of school and ended up working warehouses, the forkies was my next move cause it was same pay but sit on ass all day

i went to uni on a whim and a prayer and didnt fail my first semester in law, now i'm 6 units from graduating with a law degree

when we had to introduce ourselves in classes in first year id say i was a laborer and got bored and wanted to try law and people would always laugh

well now i'm likely to be the top of my graduating class and i've always beat everyone

from high school drop out to laborer to law degree. pretty weird path but its me.
>>
>>35684375
The trailer was a piece of shit with a hotplate because the stove stopped. I had enough I went to an small apartment building nearby (not one of those fancy gated ones, an older building) and got a studio for $400/month. And it had a place where I could lock up my scooter - people had tried to steal it 3-4 times at the trailer park. I spent a few months buying things from Goodwill and the dollar store. Timmy came over on a day off and helped me get a couch and 2 chairs from goodwill with his pickup.
Things were a lot better, but the only 2 guys I knew worked opposite days - except for holidays and vacation their days off I worked and vice versa.
I missed comics so I looked around and found out there was a real comic shop just 15 minutes away, so I went.
They had everything; comics, manga, RPGs, figures. And game nights, too. I started going on my days off and eventually started sitting in on some D&D games.
more
>>
>>35684531
deeeecent moving on up
>>
>>35684531
still waiting for the part of this story where he sits on his throne as the prince of bel-air
>>
>>35684531
I just remembered - I was there one night playing D&D when it hit me I had forgotten my own 19th birthday.
Anyway, most people you meet playing D&D in a comic shop as as fucking weird as I am. But there was this one group - a guy about my age running it, his GF (if you look up 'cute brunette' in the encyclopedia, it has her picture), 2 of his younger brothers, and 2 girls the ages of his brothers.
He saw me looking for a game one night and said I could sit in. It was a ton of fun, we all had a blast. After the game he told me he was there to see if he liked the venue, but didn't. He asked me if I wanted to join a group of people all aged 19-22 he ran once a month, and I said sure. We swapped numbers and off he went.
Work was really routine and I made sure to still save every nickel. I like D&D because you buy the books once and can play forever for free.
A month later the guy, call him John, called me up, told me the game was in Powder Springs, which is a long way by scooter. We talked about it and he would pick me up in his car.. So before you know it I had some acquaintances turning into friends.
John and his GF Claire; their friends Dan, Paige, Kaylee, and Brandon; and even Claire's parents, who hosted the game. We would meet to play D&D once a month and also go to a movie or the park or something once a month.
more
>>
>>35682774
>How much stuff did you bring with you initially?
The first time I moved across continents so I brought very little. The second time was across the US. I can't remember exactly, but mostly just my clothes, tv, computer and thats about it. I guess it depends on how much you have. If you're driving and have a lot, I guess bring as much as you can. For cooking stuff I just really use a frying pan lol.

I'm not sure if you know but stuff will add up fast if you're not careful. Budget a lot and get income as fast as possible. Even if it's something like uber or a delivery service thing. You don't want to be blowing 200/day on a room to stay, food, and random items you didn't bring with no income. I guess budget very well and write down the cost of things. That's just my opinion. I'd also suggest going out of your comfort zone. Try to be friendly and make friends, but also don't be a pussy if you're looking at an apartment and there's something on the leas you don't like. When it comes to stuff like that you have to speak up and not be a wimp basically. With this attitude I think you'll grow a lot, again it's just my opinion.
>>
>>35684675
John was one of those guy you *want* to hate, but can't. He's 6'3", fair hair, bright blue eyes, perfect stubble all the time, broad shouldered and in great shape, really deep voice. I've seen beautiful women just - stare at him and then when he speaks to them and it sounds like a smooth Darth Vader I swear they want to just tear their clothes off and beg him to take them.
Of course, he's smart, too. Taught himself Latin. And Greek. And Spanish. And French. For fun, in his spare time. Graduated with an Associates of Engineering at 18, working with the railroad for something like $20 an hour by the time he turned 20 while they paid for his BE degree.
>He didn't actually work, he was a full-time student. But he was in a program where they paid him full time to go to school
Claire was brunette, green eyes, great figure. She dances, and sews, and bakes, and sings, and plays 5 instruments, and knits, etc., etc.
But they are so nice; they honestly just like people, and they like me.
Kaylee is a natural blonde with blue eyes, D tits, a killer smile and a wicked sense of humor. Dan is a blacksmith. Like - a real one, and hilarious. Brandon is a college student and always will be.
Paige.... 5' 7", slender, but with a great figure. Bright blue eyes, natural red hair to her waist. Smart, and funny.
After about 5 months Dan and Kaylee started dating, too. Pretty soon Paige and I were spending more time together.
I was always nervous, though.
John would give me rides and talk to me about money and work as we went too and from events. Right about when Dan and Kaylee started dating he told me about a place where I could become a heavy equipment operator.
We talked about it and I had the money for the course. John found a company that needed guys and before I knew it I had quit my warehouse job, signed a contract with a construction firm, and was learning heavy equipment. Not only was the company paying for the training, they paid me to go to class
more
>>
>>35684875
I really wanted to date Paige, but her dad terrified me. He's 6'4", about 300 lbs, and looks like he snaps steel bars with his hands. He is an engineer with Lockheed Martin and his job is classified. He makes about all of the money, too.
John, Kaylee, Paige, Claire, Daniel - all Catholic. No, *Catholic*. Like - super Catholics from Planet Catholic.
Grandma told me once that I was baptised Catholic, but at that point I had no memory of ever being inside any church, ever.
The one time I sat down with Paige's dad before my new job he had been very quiet, asked me if I was Catholic, and when I said 'I was told I was baptised...' etc. he had just said
>"Paige will only date or marry a good Catholic man who goes to Mass"
So....
Yeah
The classes went great, I passed, and soon I had a new job paying $15/hr. And I traded in the scooter for a used car, in off lease.
And then Paige asked me to start going to Mass with her so we could date.
That was a few months ago, just after I turned 20.
Sundays I go to church and sit with her and her family
>John and Claire go there, too
then they have me over for a meal. Saturdays Paige and I go out, sometimes with the crew, sometimes just us.
Paige wants to be a stay at home wife and home school.
I've got enough money saved up for a ring and a down payment (houses are really cheap here)
30 months. 30 months from no job, $150 bucks, and no friends in a new city to $30k/yr, friends, and a fiance.
Dad gets out of prison in 6 months. He is going to live with my aunt. I told him I only have a studio.
>>
>>35681416
Yeah,kinda. It was pretty cool. Had it's ups and downs.
The Tale Of /robothouse/

>be me
>21
>fresh out of psych ward
>decide I need to get away from my town
>childhood friend moves back from the city
>tells me about a couple of geeky/robot guys like me who are looking for someone to move in and help them out with rent and whatnot
>tell friend to give them my number and tell them I'm interested
>they call me
>we talk a bit
>couple of weeks later my dad drives me to the city with all my stuff packed and I move in with them
>lived with these 3 guys for the next year
-me (cyborg)
-a social autist who eventually came out of his shell and became chad, kept his autistic interests (cool as fuck guy. We'd stay up all night just talking about shit)
-a pedophile who kept bringing underage grills to the house (Asshole. We kicked him out half way through the year and didn't bother finding a replacement housemate)
-and a total manchild who watched anime all day every day and threw tantrums when one of us got to the t.v before him, or he didn't get his own way in general, tried to be controlling and manipulative but lacked the charisma and intelligence, always got caught out (absolute prick to live with but ok in small doses. We actually became better friends after moving away from each other)
These 4 guys in a band who bought pot from one of my housemates started regularly hanging out with us after a while and they were all cool.
We mostly just smoked pot, played vidya and hung out. I spent the whole year on welfare. I actually looked for a job but couldn't land one.
>house got trashed one night when we threw a party
>social autist gave me and manchild 1 days notice before he moved back home (found out from a mutual friend that he couldn't stand manchild anymore)
>constant fighting between me and manchild
>manchild moved out a couple of days later
>I remain in the house alone for one more weekend
>Pack my shit. my dad collects me and I move back home
>>
>>35683528
jeez bro u sound really depressed. I could feel it radiating off your words.
>>
Yeah.

I moved to Toronto from a small town about a year and 2 months ago.

I didn't have the cash to book a separate trip to look for an apartment. So I just gave money to a guy off craigslist. The place ended up being a bedbug ridden shithole, and my 'room' was actually just a section of the living room. If any Toronto-anons are here, I lived at 280 Wellesley Street East in Cabbagetown... Pretty shitty building.

Eventually I moved into a basement apartment in a nicer part of town. Now I'm pretty well happy here. Lots of stuff to do, every night of the week if you want. There are a lot of SJWs, but oh well.
>>
I moved from New England to Florida with my first gf. She dumped me three months after moving, leaving me stuck in a lease I couldn't afford by myself. The only people I knew were her family and obviously they wanted nothing to do with me.

The first two years were insanely difficult, but eventually I got a better job and I moved to a cheaper place.
>>
>>35685648
how's your social life been?
>>
>>35682825
>>35683127
>>35683213

One of the most introspective and informational things I've read on this shitty board in months. Thanks for sharing, anon.

I'm in a similar position with my life right now, but slightly older, better job prospects and probably a bit more money. I was seriously considering doing exactly what you've described. Now I'm going to rethink the entire idea.
>>
>>35685714
>I'm in a similar position with my life right now, but slightly older, better job prospects and probably a bit more money.

So what's your story?
>>
>>35682735
You live in a fantasy land anon.
I live with my parents still and ive had a job for two years.
Southern california is a living hell for wageslaves.
All the housing and apartments in this city are reserved for ppor blacks on foodstamps, or cost 2X my monthly wage to rent.
>>
>>35683325
just like a fucking normie
>>
Moved from Mackay (Australia) to Calgary in 2007.
Had a good time and met lots of friendly people.
That was back in the boom times though, not sure it would work today.
>>
>>35681416

I moved with $5k to LA, I found a shit that paid for my rent and expenses while I looked for a better one. Got it a year later
>>
I moved to a different state in 2015, although I had help moving my stuff from my mom. She stayed for a few days to help me set up then left. Been alone ever since, go to school and work a part time job. I get lonely from time to time, but i have alot of fun just going to public places randomly and striking up casual convos.

It's hard as shit to find a gf, but honestly no matter how ugly you are people will talk to you if you're funny or interesting. No one cares what you look like if they don't have to be your friend or lover. social media has pushed that trend into the real world.

When I don't feel like going out I just shut myself in and drink, smoke weed, play games watch movies/tv shows, listen to music, and generally just create my own little world of sensations. Dancing to echoes.

Still wish I had friends and a lover from time to time, but other than that everythings great. I just flirt and game with people on the internet to fill that need.

This is my anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHh3fFPKlD4

I made some mistakes, not so good with planning

But I got some skills in easy living

Cut my ties with desperation

And learned to live with a little sensation!
>>
File: IMG_4160.jpg (532KB, 1991x1282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4160.jpg
532KB, 1991x1282px
I moved to New York City after grad school with zero family, zero friends, and no job lined up. The depression of having remained in my hometown for so long finally became unbearable, so I snapped. Packed a bag, got on the mega bus, and slept on couches til I found a job and a place.

Since moving, I've made a complete 180. I am so happy, so fulfilled, meeting new people and working a job I enjoy. I'm still a lonely girlfriendless robot but this is a very lonely city, and most people seem to be going it alone, which seems to foster a very unique sense of community.

I am now the world's strongest advocate for "upping and leaving." If you're unhappy, it could very well be your environment. If it is, LEAVE.
>>
>>35681416
moved to a city 800 km from where I had my family and lifelong friends to do my major.

How it turned out?
>No friends to this day
>Got a gf 4 years short of being a wizard
>>
>>35685042
Idk if youre still here anon but great job.
You did a good job.
Other people would have given up once they heard the job they were set up for and moved to a new state for was gone.
Doors opened for you like your life is video game.
I envy you anon, because i had a similar way growing up and i didnt make it like you did.
In fact, i havent ever left my city except for Comic-Con 4 years ago.
I failed life, but knowing some one like me made it as a young man really makes me feel good inside.
I hope you can marry the girl anon.
>>
>>35686458
Why the fuck would you ever leave Mackay. It's the comfiest place in the fuckin country. Pleystowelyfe
>>
>>35686628

Agreed, hometowns were never meant to be cribs and coffins. You should certainly visit once in a while, but don't chain yourself to it. My grandparents lived and died in MN having never seen the world, never even having internet to see pictures of it. Cherish the unique time we live in, get a credit card and rack up debt if you must to get started. As long as you pay it off with in a few years and manage it, its an easy way to get up and going. You can buy food and pay motel rent with one. And all you have to do is be old enough.
>>
>>35685042
That was a really interesting story, thanks for sharing.

It's not guaranteed to end happily but there's a chance, and that's probably the best kind of tale.
>>
>>35681416
This summer I'm moving to a new city by myself, but I do have a job lined up there.
>>
>>35686364
Portland is no better. Any place desirable is too expensive for a pick-up-and-go.
>>
>>35685714
I'm glad my shitty life story is useful to someone, lol.

I definitely don't want you to get the impression that I'm opposed to the idea of packing up and moving away from your current life, though. Despite how fruitless and miserable my story sounds, I still consider it to be one of the most important experiences of my life so far (I'm in my early 30s now)

I was definitely miserable during that period, but I would've been miserable living anywhere, and if I had spent those years in my hometown I imagine I would've been much, much more miserable.

Additionally, I think staying in my hometown would've denied me the opportunity to face down a lot of my demons and figure shit out. When I was caught in a rut at that job I had in my early 20s I felt utterly trapped and helpless. My mental energy was completely invested in either continuing to do my job, or fantasizing about "escape." When I was away from my work I was hanging out with friends or catching up on sleep. I had no hope for personal growth.

Getting away from everyone I knew and freeing up all of my time changed that. There were new things in my new town to experience, and that was all fine and dandy and helped me feel marginally more worldly, but the most important thing was having seemingly limitless time to think about myself and think about the world and think about the future.

Your mileage may vary, but in hindsight I feel that was exactly what I needed at the time.
>>
>>35681416

I ended up using my body to get what I wanted.

let some old guy eat my ass out for room/board and spending money until I got on my feet.
>>
>>35685714
cont from >>35687844
The postscript to it all is that I'm actually pretty damn happy now. I'm back in my hometown, but I don't feel trapped here. If I really needed to move, I know I could, because I did it before. And I may do it again some day, but it will be on different terms and for different reasons.

I have a job I enjoy that provides me with sufficient money to live while working relatively few hours. I've gone through a couple of relationships that were much more balanced and healthy, and I've been with my current girlfriend for over two years now. I've also been planning on starting a business based on a hobby I picked up when I was out of state.

Even if I "wasted" a bunch of time and money with that weird period of time when I moved far away, I don't think I'd be where I am now if I hadn't done that. Maybe it's just rose-tinting or cognitive dissonance talking, but I don't really consider that a waste.
>>
Can I go to a large city without a lot of money and no job
>>
>>35683922
I dunno if it should make you sick. As I pointed out in >>35688050 , I'm doing pretty well now. I have some good friends, I have a girlfriend, I have a job, and I think I have a decent future lined up.

It was just a rough period of my life, and regardless of where I lived it was going to be a rough period filled with isolation and sadness. If you take anything away from my story, it shouldn't be that it's impossible to make a new life for yourself in a new city. You should just note that it's not a guaranteed solution to all of your problems. If you're feeling depressed and antisocial where you live now, you'll probably continue to be depressed and antisocial anywhere.
>>
Just over 3 months here. I'm getting bad anxiety but at least I'm living healthier and less restricted by parents than before.
>>
>>35683289
How much is your rent in seattle? I plan on looking for a studio in Olympia soon.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.