[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys have any suggestions for turn-based rpgs? I'm

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: lotr_tta.jpg (78KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
lotr_tta.jpg
78KB, 1000x750px
Do you guys have any suggestions for turn-based rpgs? I'm really looking for games similar to Lord of the Rings The Third Age. I know that based on that combat system, the next logical step is Final Fantasy X/X-2 and the Final Fantasy series. But what are some other good turn-based rpgs?
>>
Earthbound, Bravely Default/Second, Wasteland 2, Persona 3/4, SMT 4, and definitely FF X
>>
>>35667390
I read that Divinity: Original Sin is a good one, but when I looked at it on Steam, it looked like Dota 2. Would anyone you or anyone recommend Divinity?
>>
The persona games for sure
>>
>>35667335
>turn based
No. Play Mass Effect.
>>
Darkest Dungeon is great.

It's been a couple of years since I played a good RPG with a turn based combat system and I've been enjoying it a lot.

Don't let the "manage the psychological stress of a dungeoneering party" bit make you think it's some edgy tumblr-esque bullshit, it's just a good, salt of the earth, honest to god, turn based dungeon crawling RPG.

"Remember that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer"
>>
>>35667443
it's okay. it's decent fun with someone to co-op through. you're not missing out on anything if you skip it though and not worth playing singleplayer. the combat is like a turnbased MMO, very buffs and cooldown abilities based. most of the fun comes from breaking the game.

play classic cRPGs. original Fallout 1/2, for example. a lot more character and love than the soulless modern indie garbage like wasteland 2
>>
>>35668667
I prefer turn-based because it's more like a puzzle. You have to use the right moves at the right time in order to have a successful battle. You also have to know what kind of character a player is and upgrade them accordingly to better utilize your stats. Upgrade poorly and you've fucked yourself. Then there's items. Technically you can go a whole game without items, but you'd have to know the system inside and out. Knowing what items to use and when to use them is key. All this pieces interlock and work together like a puzzle.
>>
>>35668768
have you tried tactical RPGs? it sounds like exactly what you're looking for. try fire emblem, or Ogre Tactics 64 if you want the best of the best. front mission series if you like mecha.

also forget persona. just play SMT. play the second on SNES. if you have an iphone, the best port of the first is on iOS funnily enough, though the fan translation isn't bad from what I've heard. 4 on the 3DS is good too. persona is a HS dating sim spinoff, 3/4 are decent enough but shallow, only worth it if you want the dating aspects.
>>
>>35668852
tactical rpgs sound like rts. I'm not good at thinking on the fly.
>>
>>35667443
Divinity original sin is one of my favorite games of all time.

Combat isn't FF style at all, but it's a lot of fun and really well done.

Don't know much about DotA but I would assume from what little I know that have very little in common
>>
>>35668914
Tactical rpgs are still turn based, you can take all the time you want to think your turn through.
If you want a break from weeb stuff, try jagged alliance 2. Or just play Chrono Trigger, it's considered babby's first rpg and it's very solid. Both of those are kinda old though.

I strongly suggest you stay away from ff12 and ff13.
>>
>>35667335
Super Robot Wars? It's a great game if you like weebshit since there's NGE, Code Gaess, Gundam, Gurren Langan, Godzilla and other anime robot franchises featured.
>>
>>35668740
Don't listen to this faggot. shit game, very shallow, devs are cunts that removed all the interesting play options and complexity in early access and replaced it with RNG to make it accessible for $$$. worth 4 hours or so of your time until you completely hit the skill ceiling. its just hipster meme shit for people who don't play videogames.
>>
>>35668852
>front mission series
Except a few of them are fps/action games
You really have to specify since only a bulk of the series- basically the older games you'd need an emulator and to pirate to get a hold of, are strat/tb.
>>
>>35670527
I'm pretty sure OP is capable of distinguishing between the main series and the non turnbased spin offs, only one of which is available in english.

Front Mission 3 and 4 can be emulated on PS1 and PS2 respectively and both have localizations. Front Mission 1 is only available in english as a remake, easily emulated on the NDS. all are good.
>>
>>35667335
If you're serious about turn-based, X-piratez (full conversion of original xcom, with hentai pixel art).

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/30/x-piratez-xcom-mod/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYBQHDfBzbg#t=36m

Is unprecedented in the amount of content and story-telling (i'm 200 hours in and still nowhere near end).

Modern turn-based RPGs are just a meme in comparison.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.