[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math is the true pseudointellectual normie filter. Everyone

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 47

File: maxresdefault.jpg (297KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
297KB, 2048x1365px
Math is the true pseudointellectual normie filter.

Everyone pretends to know some shit about the usual supposed intellectual subjects, philosophy, literature, politics and so on but they dont even try with math.

>omg my brain just doesnt get along with math xD

>i'm smart but lazy thats why i suck at math

>i have emotional intelligence instead

Math is the key to separate yourself from the normies. Why not start studying today?
>>
>>35628442
I already have a BS in it. Thinking about moving on to a Masters in it since my CS ventures haven't panned out.

> tfw poincare is in my captcha
>>
wow

your right
>>
File: 1428683785250.jpg (242KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1428683785250.jpg
242KB, 600x600px
I can drop some bullshit about Turing completeness and the Doomsday Argument and impress girls just as much. Go fuck yourself, autist.
>>
>>35628691
>learning an art for girls

You're literally wasting your time to find better ways to put pussy on a pedestal. Impressive.
>>
>>35628442
>>35628442
because crusty virgins are not the look
>>
>>35628442
I'm too fucking dumb to understand math.
>>
File: IMG_0415.jpg (37KB, 300x242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0415.jpg
37KB, 300x242px
> being bad at something makes me a normie

Ok
>>
>>35628442
Well, math is weird. The way it's being taught doesn't compatiblize itself with normies, and in general, most human brains.

I mean, it's a fucking alien language, what did you expect? It's very bizarre and weird if you go beyond basic high school math, and even then, most people still can't comprehend math higher than arithmetic and basic algebra.

It's an absurd alien language that people use to manipulate an abstract reality that's closely related to ours. No wonder normies hate it, and most people's minds are not acclimatized to that kind of stuff.
>>
>>35629040
I mean seriously, people who thought of non-Euclidean geometries are high as fuck.

A sphere has a positive curvature. A plane has none. Then there's hyperbolic space, which has negative curvature.

Human minds aren't made to comprehend this shit.

Applied maths is amazing in finding real life solutions to problems, but pure maths was a mistake.
>>
>>35628442
i wholeheartedly agree, back in high school i was in all advanced classes, and even in those there were roasties and chads, but in the advanced math courses it was only myself and other spergs, which was great because we didnt get held back.
>>
>>35629040
I mean seriously, people who thought of non-Euclidean geometries are high as fuck.

A sphere has a positive curvature. A plane has none. Then there's hyperbolic space, which has negative curvature.

Human minds aren't made to comprehend this shit.

Maths is a higher reality than this one, and only small snippets of it are useful in our current reality.

Applied maths is amazing in finding real life solutions to problems, but pure maths was a mistake.
>>
>>35628442
You're right but there are a lot of Chads in STEM as well.

But they're not the asshole Chad but the good Chad that will help you in your exams BUT will fuck your qt math girl crush.
And alternatively they might pursue MBA or DBA and will own the company that is going to hire you BUT he will give you that 150k if you weren't an asshole and are good friends with him.

>neumann.png
>>
Studying pure math is one of the most noblest pursuits out there. It's the supreme art form done for its own sake. While the normals are busy stamp collecting and partaking in the corporate rat race, pure mathematicians are in a whole other world of abstraction.
>>
> tfw I unironically wish I coulndt add up 1 and 2 but had an emotional intelligence
>>
>yfw tao said trump was unfit to become us president
>yfw people on pol actually think they are smarter than tao

>b-but he doesn't know anything about politics

somehow pol is more qualified though.
>>
>>35629145
Math is like the winged dragon of ra of STEM. It is in a league of its own.

A phd in math is infinitely harder than a phd in any other stem.
>>
File: 1489424449707.png (206KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489424449707.png
206KB, 800x800px
>>35628442
>math is the only thing I'm good at
>not even that good at it, just better than most people at understanding it - incredibly mediocre when trying to come up with my own ideas
>only math I like doing is pure, any math that actually makes you money is dead boring
>>
>>35628442
Math is fucking pointless, you absolute nerd
>>
File: jhjadhfv.jpg (23KB, 530x433px) Image search: [Google]
jhjadhfv.jpg
23KB, 530x433px
>>35629473
>yfw people on pol actually think they are smarter than tao
how can anyone be this retarded.
>>
yeah right morons it's boring as fuck you're just trying to convince yourselves that you enjoy it so you can maintain this lonely genius persona and continue to turn your nose up at the unwashed masses

bits and pieces of mathematics are cool but most of it is tedious as fuck and impossible to get into without a good teacher
>>
> i'm smart but lazy thats why i suck at math

Sort of true, big problem in our education system is children hit a wall in early math and fall behind permanently. That's where the "I dont get math" comes from.

Its why resources like Khan Academy are so valuable, kids are able to go back and re-learn concepts that afternoon. They're not embarrassed about needing more time to understand it.
>>
>>35629101
>pure maths is a mistake
>19th century: "number theory is the purest math there is! it will never have any application"
>computers

nah
>>
>>35629473
FUCK TRUMP AND FUCK WHITE PEOPLE. ASIAN LIVES MATTER.
>>
File: 1453744411886.png (426KB, 599x577px) Image search: [Google]
1453744411886.png
426KB, 599x577px
I am masters degree in EE, at this level you realize how little you actually know about math.
I can get along with most things with enough MATLAB and testing, but real math is way over my head
maybe the mathmeticians are the same way though
>>
>>35629605
there are 8-year-old Indians with math phds.
we are literally just fucking stupid subhuman chaff to be forgotten by history
>>
>>35628442
>Why not start studying today?
Because my education was derailed. I enjoy math but only have high school level knowledge, just things like completing the square and differentiation/integration. /sci/ makes fun of it
>>
>>35629660
yeah just wait 10-20 years for CRISPR chink superbabies for this to actually be true, us fucking genelets will never stand a chance to be productive mathematicians ever again
>>
>>35629660
>poo in loos
>doing higher math

they're literally all the same, just a bunch of cs/engineering/medicine cucks. they would never bother with something as pure as higher math, it doesn't pay.
>>
>>35629605
>another normie cutshort by brainletism
>>
>>35629770
>who is Ramanujan
>>
>>35628442
I decided to start math as a hobby this year. Math is great because its useful for just about everything and not miss won't even pretend to understand it. Instead they ironically push the meme that everyone who studies Math is a basement dweller. Of course we can always push back that humanities majors are fat rainbow hairs who will end up eaten by their cat 2 minutes post mortem
>>
>>35628442
what do i need math for? the second i need it for something i'm interested in doing i'll learn it. i took trig in high school and did alright in it but i'm afraid i've probably forgotten a lot of it because i never needed to use any of it ever again.
>>
math is great because unlike many other fields you can't just regurgitate shit to look educated, you actually have to look for patterns.
>>
>>35629902
>the second i need it for something i'm interested in doing i'll learn it
>implying your brain plasticity isn't already shot and all you have to look forward to is getting dumber by the year and taking up a tv-watching habit
>>
>>35629923
your memes are out of date
Neuroplasticity, also known as brain plasticity or neural plasticity, is an umbrella term that describes lasting change to the brain throughout an individual's life course. The term gained prominence in the latter half of the 20th century, when new research[1][2] showed that many aspects of the brain can be altered (or are "plastic") even into adulthood.[3] This notion is in contrast with the previous scientific consensus that the brain develops during a critical period in early childhood and then remains relatively unchanged (or "static").
>>
>Tfw autistic but you have a learning disorder that makes you brain dead when numbers are involved

My only use was wasted
>>
I'm not a normie. I suck at math, but I know why I suck at it. I fucking hate it and don't have the drive to practice.
>>
>>35628442
>Why not start studying today?

Where do I begin? Im interested, but it's like what's the benefit of knowing some obscure shit unless Im trying to enter that field?
>>
File: 1459476510038.jpg (49KB, 300x345px) Image search: [Google]
1459476510038.jpg
49KB, 300x345px
>>35628442
People laugh at you if you say you're shit at math but good at philosophy or litterature
Because you don't find any jobs if you decide to study these subject beside becoming a shitty teacher or a librarian
Math is not the anti normie subject
Normies don't even bother reading books anymore
>>
>>35628442

>"Godel's Incompleteness Theorem proves that god exists"

also

>"math is the language of the universe"
>>
>>35629576

Not all mathematicians can keep being smart when the discussion stops being about math. Also, being a leftist in academia is pretty fucking easy, especially if you study useless crap and need grant money from the government or university all the time.

Pure math gets really autistic really fast. A good portion of it will never, ever be applied to the real world in any meaningful way, so don't expect a mathematician to be very grounded in reality.

>t. math undergrad
>>
I haven't cared about math since I dropped out middle school. I have the basic math skills of a 14 year old. Part of me wants to get it to the average high school level but I can't bring myself to care, just like back then.
>>
>>35628442
High level math isn't:

>Useful for most careers or mine
>Interesting to discuss with 99.5% of people
>Relevant to shaping your life in a direct way like a legit non-meme selfhelp book
>Relevant to shaping society like politics or current events

Only reason to learn it is if you want a specific job or you're a a hyper-autist about math.

Also SOME people pretend to know about the stuff you mentioned, but there's definitely a learning curve where the fakes get sorted out.
>>
Where do I begin with higher level math?
>>
This is how I've always felt. Despite my mathematics degree, I've always considered myself more of an emotional person than I am logical, so whenever people go off on how intelligent or logical they are, it's usually clear to me that they're full of shit. Most of these people dropped out of university after not being able to pass a Calculus and Linear Algebra sequence and go on about the importance of logic without knowing anything about formal logic or what is needed to conduct a proof.
>>
>>35628442
Honestly, if you guys are going to learn finance and then further hardcore financial maths, they're super practical
>>
>>35628442
>t. calc II student
>>
>>35628442
I hate math and have so much trouble with it but it's so fucking neat. Literally the only reason I have stayed in college this long is because I want to prove to myself that I can do the advanced maths.
>>
If I can make it through Comp Sci I'll consider myself lucky.
>>
File: file.png (49KB, 740x312px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
49KB, 740x312px
too bad the author is a Hillary voter.
>>
>>35629541
It's like you're a calculator.

No wonder you're in the robots thread, you freak.
>>
>>35630985
do you mean what normal people view as higher level like basic calculus or real stuff like topology, real analysis, or abstract algebra?
>>
>>35628442
I agree. Math skills are the real test of intelligence.
>>
>>35631169
the latter. i've taken calculus, linear algebra, basic proofs but i don't know where to even begin learning anything beyond that.
>>
>>35631155
>pure math
>calculation

Get out brainlet.
>>
>>35631187
pick up a book on how to write proofs. they basically teach you how to transition from a computation calculus monkey into thinking like a mathematician.
>>
>>35631133

He used to be so good. I think he ran out of ideas. Now it's all lol coding is hard XDDDD
>>
File: 1488898122612.jpg (49KB, 254x267px) Image search: [Google]
1488898122612.jpg
49KB, 254x267px
>>35628935
>Twisting OP's point like this

It's bullshit like that what makes you a casual, it's not being bad at something, it's being bad specifically at MATH.

Casuals are all huge narcissistic bitches who think they're the protagonist of the world, but once they face with something "difficult" like math, they can't so they make excuses and quoting fucking Einstein with the fish climbing a three thing.

You think you're smart but can't into math? it's simple, you're a casual..
>>
>>35628442
I've forgotten everything from my matg degree. I just remember linear algebra sucks ass and the last part of the Ordinary and Partial DE series is fucking chalkboards filled of equations.

Shout out to probability and game theory for being easy af and comfy quarters.
>>
>>35631133
>>35631264
He's an autist who has a strange hatred of the humanities
>>
>>35631268
>hurr durr math is the only intellectual pursuit
>>
File: 82201949361.jpg (658KB, 1110x684px) Image search: [Google]
82201949361.jpg
658KB, 1110x684px
>>35631362
>hurr durr as an argument

Good to know your ego was hurt, you fucking stupid casual piece of shit.

And yes, i'm fucking pissed off, it's impossible to not be it when the world is filled with people EXACTLY LIKE YOU.
>>
>>35631418
I bet you're not a maths genius either anon. Stop pretending to be gigga nigga Tao.
>>
>>35628442
Lmao... pure mathematics is the most rote learning type of subject there is. It basically comes down to memorisation once you get the formula down.

Applying maths onto something? Now that's a different story altogether e.g. Actuary.
>>
>>35631418
spot the angry robot, who has no other prospect than his math.

Look kid, I was really good at math in school. I have no qualms with math (other than it being a chore writing down essentially the same math question over and over again).

There are endless things a human can dedicate their neural real estate to. Not just math.
>>
File: 1448853529445.png (17KB, 633x772px) Image search: [Google]
1448853529445.png
17KB, 633x772px
I don't even care about hiding it at this point.
I'm horrible at math, always have been and always will be.
Horrible is even an understatement. I cannot even comprehend basic topics like geometry, algebra, arithmetic, etc.
I just never clicked with math, it never happened.
>>
>>35631338
there's nothing strange about hating humanities
>>
File: 1489292719198.png (556KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
1489292719198.png
556KB, 1400x788px
A little warm up.
>>
>>35630637
Yeah, Tao was pretty autistic in that post of his. But you need to have some really high level of delusion to claim to having better cognition than motherfucking Terry Tao.
>>
>>35631477
He's an even bigger autist then you
>>
>>35631511
of course he is, i think that's mandatory if you work at NASA outside the diversity division.
>>
>>35631461
Seriously, maths is basically memorisation. Get the basics down and gradually work your way up in difficullty and youll have no trouble.

It simply comes down to memorisaing a set of rules. Mathematics is the most left brain oriented subject there is. It's just bragging righhts for those people who value so much in left brain activities while thinking anyone even gives a shit
>>
>>35631484
>positive integers
>prime divisor
>perfect square
what the fuck are these terms and what do they mean?
is this some shit they only teach in europe or something
>>
>>35631155
do you know what pure math is
>>
>>35631498
Gigga Nigga Tao is smart, probably the smartest guy alive at the moment, but that doesn't mean you have to grovel at his feet and worship his butthole anon
>>
>>35631525
You are literally worshiping his big STEM cock right now anon
>>
>>35631537
You've never heard of integers?
>>
File: 1132574.jpg (10KB, 597x540px) Image search: [Google]
1132574.jpg
10KB, 597x540px
>>35631453
>I was good, i swear! i was so good back when i only had to make simple shit like 2+2=4!

Again, what a little bitch you are, truly gross how you still hold on your ego no matter what, but go on, be the most casual fuck and live you life being a huge narcissistic piece of shit.
>>35631439
>You can't criticize X you're not a X yourself!

Shame on me for even fucking coming back to this board when i already know it's over flowed with idiots like you.
>>
>>35631587
Why are you worshipping gigga nigga Tao so much anon?
>>
>>35631418
>>35631587
I can kind of get a feel for your source of discontent which likely stems from the lack of validation you receive compared to those you perceive to be less academically vigorous.
You likely feel that there's some sort of injustice underneath it all.

Let me know where im wrong and please clarify them to me if so. You're basically "tfw too intelligent to be blah blah blah" - the thread
>>
>>35631587
Gonna call low quallity bait on you
>>
>>35631666
>Injustice underneath it all

Projecting much?

>>35631684
Do it, it's all you can do, that's why the only shit you do is meme instead of giving an argument.
>>
>>35631537
>positive integers
>prime divisor
A prime number that divides your other number.
>perfect square
>>
File: 175022946319648.jpg (57KB, 496x750px) Image search: [Google]
175022946319648.jpg
57KB, 496x750px
>>35628442
I can smell the euphroia reeking on this post

This guy really thinks he's a genius because he can do a few simple logic problems

What, are you scared of philosophy and literature because they don't have clear answers like all your babby numbers?
>>
>>35631745
This faggot is still worshipping gigga nigga Tao's big Asian ass hole! You love how smart and Asian he is! You want to lick his Chinese nips!
>>
>>35628442

What if I'm decent at math but I'd rather study the humanities? Does that make me a brainlet?
>>
>>35628442
I was bad with maths because I had bad teachers, like since 1st grade (Also 0 interest because of that). Now that I got a private teacher math related stuff is easy
>>
>>35629493
but you become socially untouchable
you have the virgin curse
>>
>>35628442
Because numbers make me extremely unhappy, even more than usual, on every level. I would rather shovel shit for a living than do any significant amount of math.
>>
>>35629625
the most advanced computer, DNA, does not need formal number theory to work, since it is analogue in nature
>>
>>35631789
Are you scared of math because you can't bullshit your way through it?
>>
>>35628442
does excelling at engineering math in undergrad mean I'm not a normie? I also did a lot with bayesian inference and other stochastics.
>>
>>35631498

You don't form political beliefs by "cognition". You justify them with cognition. I'm not saying /pol/ or I could win a debate against Tao, but I am saying that just because he's a great mathematician doesn't mean everything he says is correct, (which I know is a strawman of the post I replied to...whatever.)
>>
>>35629493
I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. A phD in computer science or physics is likely to have just as much math as a math phd
>>
>>35631952
You probably think people "bullshit" their way through the arts and philosophy because you're too dumb to get them

Face it, anon. There are many kinds of smart. There's the direct, logical math smart that computers can now do for us, then there's the nuanced, advanced sort of smart only the peak human mind is capable of.
>>
>>35629740
If I ever have kids they will definitely be CRISPR babies, won't yours? Also this thread is refreshing. Most of the tme everyone on /r9k/ seems p. Dumb
>>
>>35632015
You must love Indian and chink cock anon
>>
>>35632001
Follow the latest intellectual fashions, quote your advisor, free-associate a bit and bury any kind of point in 500 pages of chaff. You're state-sponsored scam artists and court magicians.
>>
>>35630637
>a good portion of it will never be applied to the real world in the mathematicians life time

Fixed that for you. As an engineer who does bioinformatics, all i ever here about is some math algorithm or proof that had no real purpose and suddenly its the perfect solution for some machine learning algorithm to do genetic sequencing
>>
>>35632048
Again, you're not smart enough to get it. There are plenty of people out there who bullshit their shit, I won't deny that. But once you learn even a little bit you can see right through to their stupidity
>>
>>35632071
>over 90% of papers in the humanities are never cited
wow sounds like nobody's quite smart enough
you posturing sophist parasites should be put to death
>>
>>35631484
31 is prime right, does it even matter? I'm on my phone so no fancy math notation but 2*8 = 16
3*12 = 36
Is this all you were asking for? This shit is easy anon
>>
>>35632034
i don't really like indians, but I do like the yellows
>>
>>35629101
This is exactly what is meant by OP. It's a filter. Anyone that cannot into pure mathematics is a normo. Get out. Now.
>>
>>35632001
Not the guy you're responding too

I get what you're saying, there aredifferent intelligences. But those cultivated when learning STEM are much harder to acquire than those acquired in humanities
>>
>>35632158
>[citation needed]

Check, my friend
>>
im gonna study math till i like it

oregano
>>
>>35632209
fyi, pure math courses are full of normie scum with friends and gf's.

t. math student who failed yet again to get away from the normos
>>
reminder I am better at math than anyone if I just open calculator.exe, say goodbye to your useless skill autist
>>
>>35632242
If you're talking about colleges and universities, sure, I'll agree with you. Put true skill in those subjects requires a huge amount of devotion and intelligence
>>
>>35632347
Yeah? calculate me the fisher information matrix on a bernoulli distribution with a known dataset and unknown theta on your calculator. Ill do it on paper and let's see who wins
>>
>>35629575
Math is used in many of the professions having to do with money, you pleb. I'm not talking arithmetic either, you wageslave cuck
>>
>>35631745
>projecting
Well, that comes down to how accurate my post reflects your real life situation. Just from perusing this thread you have to ask what kind of person would make this kind of thread and on especially r9k

If im projecting and hence incorrect, feel free to correct me, as previously said.
>>
>>35630637
>undergrad
>>
>>35629777
>unchecked trips
wtf wake up sheeple!
>>
>>35632684
This. Undergrads need to get off their high horses. Your training is hardly complete at undergrad level. It's just the beginning. But most people get degrees for status reasons more than anything else anyway.

Be real, not many 18 year olds fresh out of high school knows why they're even going to college and you'd be a fool to take advice from an 18 year old or even any college age students for that matter
>>
>>35632776
>But most people get degrees for status reasons
Nah, they get it because their chosen careers demand it. The vast majority of people would never sink in that kind of time and money if employers didn't care about a diploma.
>>
what if I want to be good at math but too much of a brainlet for anything more than basic calculus?
>>
>>35632831
>they get it because their chosen careers demand it
If you read my post in it's entirety and didnt nitpick you know i said most 18 year old college applicants don't know what they want to do anyway.
Nearly half of them change courses after a year.
Most of them dont get into a job which meets the same educational requirements of their degree anyway.

Obtaining degrees are grossly inefficient to get ahead in life especially when eveyro eis doing it. Following the herd cannot ever make you above the herd unless you beat the competition which comes back to my point about most grads getting shortchanged for their degrees.

Hence most people get degrees for status reasons more than anything else anyway.
>>
>>35628442
Math is a tool. A vital tool, but a tool nonetheless. Not some kind of superiority medal. So are most sciences and skills. The only exception is pseudoscience
>>
>>35632967
>Obtaining degrees are grossly inefficient to get ahead in life
The data says otherwise.
>>
>>35632967
They might not know what they want to do, but they know they want a comfy career. They wouldn't have been considered for those other jobs in the first place without a degree.
What other bold path should they be following to get a six-figure white-collar job? Very few people have an interest or the capacity for entrepreneurship (not to mention the capital).
>>
>>35628442
I don't give a shit about normies, so I have no reason to set myself apart from them. If a characteristic we share overlaps, then so be it.
>>
Math is fucking boring. Doing math for your job (accounting, math teacher, etc) must be some of the worst forms of wageslavery ever
>>
>>35633075
ive seen the data myself of college and universities across america from original sources not from media articles and i wouldnt have made such a bold statement if i havent. Im confident in the data I've read if your data proves otherwise feel free to post the link
>>
>>35633112
if you're an american, snubbing entrepreneurship even in the most slightest and indirect form undermines what it means to to be proud of americas capitalist system. Anything less sends the message you're quite the socilaist. And thats exactly what ou have done.

P.s. Doing a degree which what most post high schoolers do is hardly called getting ahead. Your lack of risk appetite is very uncapitalistic and unamerican of you.
>>
>>35633333
What most people want out of life is a stable, comfortable routine. Any economic system that doesn't take this into account will generate a lot of misery and then perish. I thought communists were supposed to be the ones who wanted to reinvent Man?
>>
Off topic but how smart does one have to be for the Putnam exam as a college student? I heard thats the exam that basically decides if you will be the next Gauss or Euler or just another retard who should stop at undergrad math and do something else.
>>
File: 1489360682941.jpg (51KB, 620x336px) Image search: [Google]
1489360682941.jpg
51KB, 620x336px
I've never cared enough to practice math. Besides I'm naturally more creative than logical.
>>
>>35633449
You can look at previous exams online to get a sense of the difficulty.
I took it one year for fun, you could probably just do that.
>>
>>35633528
What percentile did you rank in?
>>
>>35633333
I'm checking your quintuples in a socialist fashion
>>
>>35633419
I guess americans are less capitalistic they claim themselves to be.

Thanks for the clear up

P.s. To bring up communism when i brought up socialism highlights your gross lack of understanding and knowledge on the area
>>
>>35633553
~81 percentile.
>>
>>35633578
Nice save on the nitpick, you bloviating fraud.
>>
>>35631268
>Twisting OP's point like this

>it's not being bad at something, it's being bad specifically at MATH.

I think that was a given in what they said.
>>
>>35633614
I could say the same for you. I hardly nitpicked i simply replied to the true nature of your post. In other words, I didn't play into your mental gymnastics
>>
>>35630486
Math filters pseudos like nothing else. I have learned this in my english classes in college. All humanities degrees just used a lot of words to say nothing and then they discuss a topic like geopolitics to look smart
>>
>>35629770
Ramanujan was compared to Euclid and other great mathematicians even though he had substandard education and was solving problems that were held back simply because he couldn't provide formal proofs at the time.
>>
>>35633691
I'm saying that your dream of unfettered capitalism and risk-taking is largely incompatible with human nature and happiness. I'm very uninterested in how this relates to the true American spirit, or whatever you're getting at.
>>
>>35631933
>since it is analogue in nature
DNA is as analog as a fucking unicode string.
instead of 1 & 0, it's A, G, T, & C.
>>
>>35633769
Human nature is far more flexible than you think anon. But i too am hardly interested in educating you. Id be more satisfied to keep you ignorant as proving you wrong would be giving you an advantage anyway.
>>
>>35633805
I hope your dumbass parody of libertarianism blows up in your face very painfully, and sooner rather than later.
>>
>>35631534
>maths is basically memorisation
>>
>>35631952
i'm not scared, i'm just not particularly fond of it.
>>
>>35628442
>tfw robot but cannot into math because can't concentrate for more than 30 seconds.

Why even live.
>>
>>35628442
Math is basically what decides how far you go in life. I know plenty of poor people who are great readers and can read well. They are still poor and often they deal with illiterates on a regular basis. Everyone I know who has been good at math has had some level of success in life. They aren't always rich but they are never poor and never hungry. They find a way to make it in life
>>
>>35633989
Did you know many people good at math and bad at reading?
>>
>>35634126
I've met some in my chemistry classes. They still do pretty well. Knowing the right Maths can make a difference in life. That's why I'm going beyond college and making it a hobby. Some maths become useful out of nowhere . Topology for example is bow being used t improve machine learning
>>
>>35628442
>i'm smart but lazy thats why i suck at standard english
>>
>>35634269
This. If math majors are so intelligent, then why do they often come across as fucking neanderthals when I'm forced to interact with them? Use of standard English should be effortless.
>>
>>35634398
>He fell for the socially retarded nerd meme

You realize there are maths dealing specifically with language? Formal language combinatorics on words etc. Math not only helps you with numbers it helps you with everything. There are linguists right bow using maths to help them to become better researchers
>>
File: foork.jpg (381KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
foork.jpg
381KB, 1000x1000px
>>35631484
i have 2050 different numbers with factors in the first 11 primes, p = {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31}

Any number can be represented as a vector of consisting of the coefficients in each space.
Any positive integer n, that I have can be represented by a vector v(n) such that n = product from i=1 to i=11 of p_i^(v(n)_i)

For example:
2 => (1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0)
18,636,854,350 = 2 * 5^2 * 17 * 29^4 * 31 => (1,0,2,0,0,0,1,0,0,4,1)

Iff the product of n and m is a perfect square, the power of each prime in the product must be even, so
m*n is a square iff v(m)_i +v(n)_i = 0 mod 2 for all i from 1 to 11

We can form an equivalence class where n ~ m iff v(n)_i + v(m)_i = 0 mod 2 for all i.
Based on what i said before, n*m is a perfect square iff v(n) ~ v(m) !

Each equivalence class will have one "smallest element" that is a vector of 1s and 0s, because any higher terms can be reduced by modding by 2.
I will denote the smallest vector in the equivalence class of a vector v by the function s(v).
I will denote s(v(n)) as S(n).
Now, n*m is a perfect square iff S(n) = S(m).

Since S(n) i s a vector of 0s and 1s, there are two options for each element, so the total number of different elements is 2^11 = 2048.

Since there are no products in my set that are perfect squares, S(n) != S(m) for all n and m in my set (such that n != m).
That means that for each n in my set, there must be a unique S(n), so the size of the image of n through S must be the same size as my set.

This means that the size of the image of n through S must be 2050, but the size of the range of S is only 2048!
That's impossible.
Proven by contradiction.
QED
i could go into more detail, but at this point, that's just tedium.

Thanks for the riddle, Anon; 'Twas fun.
>>
>>35634448
>Math not only helps you with numbers it helps you with everything
sure didn't help you to live a successful life since you're posting here
>>
>>35634512
i think i'm successful enough myself.
>>
>>35628442
I know plenty of chads into math who work as stats people in finance. If yoi have a marketable skill you cannot be a robot.
>>
>>35631745
>No argument
There's no argument to be had, you're putting yourself on a pedestal above others for the sake of boosting your own ego.
>I'm good at math and if you're not you're a filthy casual, prove me wrong

The fact this isn't bait shows you have literally meme-tier thinking comprehension and thought process.
>>
>>35634938
Simple application of induction.
If you can do it on a k by k board, than you only need to ensure the additional row or column is positive. This can be done with at most k+1 flips.

1x1 just take absolute value of the entry
>>
>>35635192
Just make them all non negative.
Im sorry 2k+1
>>
>the majority of mathmaticians were normies who have jobs in finance
Your argument is invalid. You are not that super special snowflake.
>>
>>35631992
Software Engineer Masters here, CompSci degrees do not have or need anywhere near the level of maths you are thinking about.

I didn't use anything above middle school maths during degree or now when working.
The only exception is for niche uses like calculating physics for a video games where you might wade into highschool maths.
>>
File: boowl.jpg (628KB, 1850x1231px) Image search: [Google]
boowl.jpg
628KB, 1850x1231px
>>35634938
>no need to be so formal
sorry, i'm just used to "prove" meaning it has to be rigorous.

If a row or a column's sum is negative, then flipping it will increase the total sum of all numbers on the chess board.

After flipping, there are two possibilities:
1. there are no more negative rows or columns
2. there is at least one more negative row or column

if 1, you just 1 (won).

if 2 the sum of all the numbers is greater than it used to be by twice the sum of the row or column you just flipped.
If we denote the sum of the row flipped on the nth flip as -s_n, we have the total sum of numbers on the chess board after the ith flip as:
S_i = S_0 + 2 * sum from n=1 to n=i of s_n.

Since s_n can never be less than the smallest non-zero difference between the sums of two power sets of the numbers on the board, there is a smallest element of s_n, which i will call s.

S_i >= S_0 + 2 * sum from n=1 to n=i of s
S_i >= S_0 + 2 * i * s
(S_i-S_0)/(2s) >= i

S_i can never be greater than the sum of the absolute values of all the numbers on the board so S_i is always finite.

therefore i is always less than a finite number and therefore finite itself.
Quat Ai Demonstratud
>>
math is outdated trash. just heavily restricted philosophy f.a.m.
>>
>>35628442
math is easy I have trouble remembering the formulas as long as I'm given an example of how to perform the problem I'm fine
>>
>>35634992
>only need to ensure the additional row or column is positive
This is false. consider the following:
1 1
1 1
add a column
1 1 3
1 1 -4
flip
1 1 -3
1 1 4

You also need to make sure the newly created columns are positive.

i do wonder if an inductive method could be simpler than what i did though...
>>
I wish I was a math God like gigga nigga Terrence Tao! But sadly I'm not. All I can do now is lick Asian people's butt holes and worship my maths professor at my college.
>>
>>35635383
I can use math to build things. I can't do that with Kantian ethics
>>
>>35635346
I graduated last year but it's been too long since I've done any maths to remember what I was taught in middle-high school.
I did A level maths (UK school exams, age 16-18) before university but forgot most of that.

Maths helps because you need to think about logic but aside from that? Nothing.
>>
>>35631484
2x8=16
8x2=16

originally easy
>>
File: giphy.gif (493KB, 300x195px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
493KB, 300x195px
>>35635435
You are right! That's why I worship Terrence Tao and his Asian nippless! Fuck Kantor! He was a white boy and a loser poser pretending to be smart, unlike gigga nigga Tao!
>>
>>35635435
you do it with physics
>>
>>35635383
>heavily restricted
also heavily rigorous though

>>35635396
if math is so easy, then do some of the riddles!
it'll be funn
>>35634938
>>35631484
>>
File: community_image_1424399072.jpg (54KB, 720x393px) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1424399072.jpg
54KB, 720x393px
>>35635460
Kant* you sperg
>>
>>35635460
You seem to be extra salty, anon. What's the matter? Did you get told you're really smart as you were growing up but failed to deliver?
>>
File: 470824023_master.jpg (55KB, 780x843px) Image search: [Google]
470824023_master.jpg
55KB, 780x843px
>>35635486
We are all unsmart compared to my boy, gigga nigga Terrence Tao! If you were a superior Asian boy with a huge iq and maths skills you would succeed but you are not! You must now be subservient to Tao and his fellow Asian ilk!
>>
>>35635442
i should've said "subset" in lieu of "power set".
>>
>>35635518
Yeah but with theoretical computing you only get theoretical job offers.
>>
>>35635528
Extra salty. I feel bad for you, my friend. Nobody's even talking about TT right now. Go back to school.
>>
File: 59953.jpg (119KB, 500x508px) Image search: [Google]
59953.jpg
119KB, 500x508px
>>35628442
I get frustrated with mathematics, especially when I accidently got lumped in with the higher level classes in high school, maybe because I did good in my previous years. Not understanding made me feel even more of a fuck-up and a dumbass, especially when I overhear classmates flaunting about getting 90+ in every fucking test.

As for the subject itself, I would rather self-indulge in vidya, anime, masterbating, and other degenerate desires than practice and hone my "skills." Essentially procrastination.
>>
>>35628442
>tfw literally can't into maths because of dyspraxia
>get lumped in with normie trash who just won't try because it's not cool
>>
>>35635552
You are so sad lololololol. Just accept your place as sub-human and learn to worship mathematics and the people who practice it (i.e. Asians). Then, and only then, will you find happiness in this world anon.
>>
File: oksign.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
oksign.png
55KB, 217x190px
>>35635558
Our life plans are the same but I don't see any problem with that lifestyle.
>>
>>35628442
That's actually a pretty good point you have...
>>
>>35635558
Maybe learn to be smart by taking some pointers from Terrence Tao. You could also try being Asian or increasing your iq. Being an Indian nigger can help too.
>>
>why not start studying today?

Because It's pointless, I'm stupid. I can't do maths, not matter how hard I try. I was in the remedial class in highschool for maths and was the only person in my entire class to pass. It was a miracle.

Some people's brains really DO struggle with maths, OP. Mine included.

Funnily enough, I'm good at music though.

Also

>Everyone pretends to know some shit about the usual supposed intellectual subjects, philosophy, literature, politics and so on but they dont even try with math.

Everyone knows SOME shit about maths, too. It's only difficult and challenging once you really sink your claws into it, no matter what the subject matter is.
>>
>>35635585
You can do a phd in real computing and not theoretical.
Everyone I know who did that just went into teaching or are applying for research right now. It's a qualification to get other people to do the qualification. From the view I had, it just became a self-maintaining system that never got to touch the real world.
>>
>>35629657

Sleep tight plato

:3
>>
>>35635605
plus philosophy,lit and politics anyone can bullshit through and hide any errors with 'opinions' where as with maths you are just wrong or right.
>>
File: 1477621933877.png (154KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1477621933877.png
154KB, 499x499px
>>35635605
Try and be like Terrence Tao! His Asian abilities are unmatched but you could definitely learn a thing or two from him. He is so smart and anybody with an iq below his should really die.
>>
>>35628442
The brainless in this thread have the most delicious tears. I'm literally going to make money with origami. You're literally going to jack off to the thought of a girl lettin you sniff her asshole
>>
>>35635629
Philosophy, politics and lit are rigourous too. You can't Bull Shit your way through a PhD in those subjects.
>>
>>35635666
Similarly to how there are many Humanities students who just can't get their brains around maths, there are a lot of STEM students who can't seem to get their heads around creative thinking/writing fluently and convincingly
>>
>>35635629

That's not completely true, the whole objectivity of maths. At higher levels it becomes more complex.

>>35635629

You can hide bullshit opinions to an extent in regards to the subjective aspects of those topics, but anyone who knows anything about said topics will be able to call you out on it. Take a philosophy class and tell me you can bullshit about it.

>Explain x Philosopher's argument
>well its all subjective anyways so I'll write down the burger king menu instead and if she teacher fails me he just doesn't understand my particular branch of philosophy
>>
>>35635666
>You cant bullshit your way through a PhD in philosophy
Hehe
>>
>>35628442
I have dyscalculia so math fucking sucks. I barely even needed to know any for college and I graduated with honors in a STEM major. Knowing math is almost entirely useless for the majority of everyone.
>>
>>35635666
>>35635709
I meant relating to the OP post where everyone will have a stance on it conversationally. Not talking degrees.
>>
>>35629493
I got a math PhD and it wasn't all that hard. Americans just have math phobia because of their shitty education system.

>>35631903
Got a GF too, retard.
>>
>>35635703
>Scientists can't get their heads around writing fluently and convincingly
Are you retarded?
>>
>>35635805
There's an irony in the fact that you instantly took what I wrote to mean tha I think all scientists are incapable of writing, especially since I didn't mention scientists or make any indication that I was referring to everyone who ever opened a science book.

But seeing as how the general tone of this thread seems to be STEM majors circlejerking directly into each others' brains I guess none of that really matters in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>35633843
Now that likely gone from this thread i will now proceed to blast you the fuck out.
They truth of human nature is suffering. compatibility is subjective and can be nutured. Lets be honest deep down no one wants to work for someone else for a living. Most people are too afraid to lose. I made a huge fucking post that expanded on this idea but i see no need to regurgitate it.
>>
>>35631133

Like most numbercucks, he is basically austistic. Every time he tries to touch upon politics, romance, artistry or any other of the truly valuable parts of the human experience he reveals himself to be embarrassingly incompetent.
>>
File: 1469664385585-holyfuck.gif (1MB, 350x478px) Image search: [Google]
1469664385585-holyfuck.gif
1MB, 350x478px
>>35635709
True. There's really no objectivity to the universe. Especially when you go deep into topics like phenomenology and metaphysics, you emerge to see an indifferent, incomprehensible universe that laughs at any attempts to reconcile it and reign it in. You might try, and sort of set up a game that mirrors some abstract concepts (math) but it's not the full truth. Woe to the autists who will never understand that.
>>
>>35632015
>If I ever have kids they will definitely be CRISPR babies
Oh I didn't realize we had a normie millionaire posting here.
>>
>>35636981
I'm actually a literal hobo who is a social pariah
>>
>>35637071
Well then you're incredibly naive if you think the elites will share their ubermensch tech with you.
>>
File: 1486580019105.jpg (106KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1486580019105.jpg
106KB, 500x390px
Maths is for smart normalfags who don't care about how computers work
>>
>>35636916
math's objective in that there is only one answer to a well defined question, not that that means anything in the grander scheme of things.
>>
I'm fucking stupid and I wish I was smart but I'm also chronically lazy so I don't put effort into anything. I'm a human load of shit
>>
tfw only 20 or so mathematical operations in calculus

tfw idiots think this is somehow impressive

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
>>
>>35628442
Most of the chads from my elite school are into maths, chemistry, physics and some of them are also into biology (future med students), so your argument is invalid.
>>
File: 1472224725864.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1472224725864.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
> I got a B in Calc. 1 and now have a false sense of intellectual superiority: The thread
>>
>>35635605

> Spend an hour every night watching maths tutorials on youtube, take notes and subdivide them into topics
> Start with basic numeracy, finish it
> Start with pre-algebra, finish it
> Start intermediate algebra, finish it
> Start with geometry, finish it
> Start with Trigonometry, finish it
> Start Calc. 1, finish it

Congratulations you're now more mathematically grounded than 90% of the adult population - stop making excuses.
>>
File: 1489872500443.jpg (51KB, 400x534px) Image search: [Google]
1489872500443.jpg
51KB, 400x534px
>>35628442

Don't study math just so you can speak about it with someone, you could spend years before it happens.
I don't think I ever had a conversation on this topic since I had my CS diploma and began to work. We use a small part of it but we don't discuss it (we don't use philosophy at all so there's that too).

>>35635702

Could gastronomic realism be tested in the real world?

It sounds easier than establishing criteria for being a connoisseur in art (if anyone visits /ic/, he'll soon be familiar with threads bitching about anime being an inferior form of art or "modern art" (by which they mean "contemporary") not being art at all).

I guess Pringles would come on top of the food chain anwyay.
>>
I don't even care what's normie and what's not normie anymore
>>
You guys ever try to teach someone this shit? Some people just dont get it
>>
>>35638418

But some people's brains just aren't good at maths. I'm just naturally terrible at it, I struggled with it through my entire life. I can't even do basic maths like "uhhh... Fuck what's 17 plus 15? shit what's x multiplied by y?"

It's like saying "I know you have tiny, stubby fingers, but just try to play the piano its ez"
>>
>>35638657
>It's like saying "I know you have tiny, stubby fingers, but just try to play the piano its ez"
It's not like that at all because playing the piano demonstrably requires some finger reach, whereas you are making up this thing about being 'naturally terrible' at math as though it is a physical reality.

>I can't even do basic maths like "uhhh... Fuck what's 17 plus 15? shit what's x multiplied by y?"
I have a math PhD and I can't do arithmetic in my head either. Being able to do arithmetic in your head has no relationship to being able to excel at higher math.

If you want to learn math you can learn math. You just want to make excuses.
>>
>>35638833

Nah, there are different parts of the brain responsible for different skills. I have always struggled imensely to understand even the most basic math concepts and even had a math tutor to help me, I'm just terrible at it. I could probably improve slightly, but not that much.

What would you say is the most important set of skills someone needs to succeed at maths?
>>
>>35638871
You could get better at it, but you choose not to. The most important skill to succeed at math is determination. I taught and tutored math for years. If you are a determined student and have a skillful teacher or tutor, then you can succeed.
>>
>>35628442

I have no self-confidence.

I spent most of my life thinking that I have no talent for math, and not even in the "omg I'm too lazy to study xD", but because I didn't think it would make any difference.
>>
>>35638922
Some people have a harder time with it than others, but that does not make it inaccessible to them, unless they are literally retarded.
>>
>>35638928

But why even bother? I don't really need maths besides the basic skills I already have
>>
>>35638968
Yeah, I mean, there's no imperative to learn math if you don't need to for some reason (career, intellectual fulfillment). Just don't act like you're literally incapable of it.
>>
>>35638993

I'm not completely incapable of improving in any way whatsoever, but its both harder for me and I have a more stunted cap on how much I can progress
>>
>>35628442
i'm quick to give up,when maths started to get hard i gave up and thought about i was ever actually going to use any of it
no point trying if i'm not getting anything out of it
>>
>>35639031
>a more stunted cap on how much I can progress
You could learn graduate-level mathematics if you applied yourself. There's nothing magically inaccessible about it. It's just building on knowledge.
>>
>>35639094

Natural skill and propensity for mathematical thinking. In other words, I'm retarded. You need higher cognitive function, better logical skills, problem solving, memory, visualization skills, etc. It's hard for certain people to understand complex mathematical concepts or to figure out difficult problems. Some of us are just brainlets. We can learn some new tricks, but I could never be as good as you.
>>
>>35639148
Keep telling yourself those lies, anon. You think you're so dumb but you claim to be an expert on how cognition works. Take my word for it as a math PhD and a former teach and tutor instead: there is nothing magical about higher math that makes it inaccessible to the average person.
>>
>>35639204

So everyone has the same base level cognitive skills required to be good at maths?

How come you have autismo kids in retard maths classes that study and study but never get anywhere, then?
>>
>>35639237
Everyone who is not an actual diagnosable retard has the capability to become good at math, yes.
>>
>>35639284

Capabiliy, yes. POTENTIAL. but its harder for some. Sometimes much harder.
>>
>>35639314
I'm not disputing that. That is my experience as well.
>>
>>35635288
>Code monkey degree
>CompSci degrees do not have or need anywhere near the level of maths you are thinking about.
How the fuck would you know?
Don't ever talk out of your ass like that again you human waste.
>>
>>35636443
>>35631338
>>35631264
>Can't handle the banter
And I thought you humanities people were supposed to be the non-autistic ones.
>>
File: 1454253526243.jpg (53KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1454253526243.jpg
53KB, 604x604px
>>35628442
>do math degree
>everybody in your class is a normalfag and many of them are better than you
Most of the math society's events were organizing to go out to night clubs.
>>
>>35631484
2050-32=2018

boom
>>
>>35628442
I remember barely passing Calculus III, then telling people about it and finding out most people I know barely attempted Calculus II. It sucks when you become considered "good" at something just by not being complete shit at it like everyone else.
>>
>>35635288
Software Engineering is not Computer Science. SE is for codemonkeys, CS is the field that uses math, vermin.

t. CS undergrad that's probably had to use more math than you
>>
File: 1485276326255.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1485276326255.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>35639648
>It sucks when you become considered "good" at something just by not being complete shit at it like everyone else.
But that's everything I'm "good" at
>>
>>35639671
oh look it's another /cs isn't cs/ episode... i suppose you're a regular knuth aren't you. you're all pajeet to me.
>>
>>35639671
maybe you can use some of your math to calculate yourself a job after you graduate :^)
>>
>>35634398
>come across as fucking neanderthals when I'm forced to interact with them?
They've cast off the social mores of brainlets and ascended to a higher plane of existence.
>>
>>35639671
>t. CS undergrad
OH it shows
>>
>>35629493
>A phd in math is infinitely harder than a phd in any other stem.
It's probably one of the easiest.
>>
File: sophisticated.png (67KB, 350x338px) Image search: [Google]
sophisticated.png
67KB, 350x338px
>>35631484
Proof:
A prime number has itself as it's only prime divisor, so a prime greater than 32 would have a prime divisor greater than 32, namely itself.
Thus all our numbers are either composite numbers formed by the product of some subset of the primes less than 32, or themselves one of those primes. The number of different numbers we can construct in this way is equal to the sum: 11 choose 11 + 11 choose 10 + ... + 11 choose 1 = 2047, or equivalently 2^11 - 1 = 2047 (*). Thus we cannot have 2050 unique numbers, so atleast two of them must be equal. Then the product of these two numbers is obviously a perfect square.
QED

(*) There are 11 primes less than 32, so the sum of all all combinations of those 11 primes is equal to 2047 or equivalently the number of subsets of a set with 11 elements is 2^11, but we have to subtract one here to compensate for the inclusion of the empty set.
>>
>>35639729
SE isn't CS. What the fuck? SE is literally the pajeets you see writing shit software in PajeetHP and Java. At my school, the highest math that SE need is Calc 1. Kek

https://www.onlineengineeringprograms.com/faq/cs-vs-software-engineering
http://www.stevemcconnell.com/psd/04-senotcs.htm

It goes like this: those in IT are tards, those in SE are bainlets, and those in CS are the patricians that aren't afraid of math.

>>35640132
t. brainlet
>>
File: sick.jpg (207KB, 840x567px) Image search: [Google]
sick.jpg
207KB, 840x567px
Why does it seem like so many comments ITT are being deleted?
Am I going crazy?
>>
>>35640235
You made a mistakee.
>>
>>35640468
His key mistake which all the rest come from is he's not using the powers of prime factorization at all.
Zero credit.
>>
>>35628442

Anyone here happens to know a good beginner's guide to math?

I had trouble with it as a kid, but it can't hurt to try again
>>
>>35628442
because you felt the need to announce it being the normalfag you are, math is for normies
>>
>>35640541
fuck, might as wells keep it.
>>35640235
pretty good.
a few things you missed:

you can have multiplicity in the prime factorization, i.e. numbers like 18,636,854,350 = 2 * 5^2 * 17 * 29^4 * 31.
So you can in fact have more than 2050 numbers, though it turns out to not help you.

>we have to subtract one here to compensate for the inclusion of the empty set
Actually the empty set is fine. it represents the number 1.
this is because this is not strictly true:
>all our numbers are either composite numbers formed by the product of some subset of the primes less than 32, or themselves one of those primes
the only exception being 1.
>>
>>35640541
maybe zero credit, but it's still infinitely better than the other answers.

>>35632165
>>35635450
>>35639576
>>
>>35629132
Human minds can comprehend it, it just requires work which is probably why a lot of people struggle with it. And technology starts with the purely theoretical. Things like pure maths do make our society better its just that it takes a long time for it to become useful, its like spaceflight. First only superpowers could afford it, then lesser countries could, and now private enterprises are starting to be able to. The step though from the Apollo program to SpaceX took decades and SpaceX is one of the first in its industry.
>>
>>35640682
I don't know what they were trying to do :|
>>
>>35635703
I literally aced all the humanities GEs Ive taken with no effort as well. I even had to take an upper level humanities course just to satisfy a stupid prereq for my stem major and I got an A with less than 10 hours of work done the entire semester for that class. And I go to a UC.

There is nothing rigorous about the humanities. Its sujective garbage where pseudointellectuals bullshit their papers with opinions that are formulaic and easy to come up with.
>>
>>35629493
Can you say that because you have that phd, or because ou failed?
>>
>>35640427

No, someone is deleting his comments, or a mod is deleting it but I doubt it, one of the deleted comment was about gastronomic realism, which is hardly against any rule.

Probably just an autist deleting all his comments after being btfo forever by another autist somewhere in the thread.
>>
File: Furpan.jpg (119KB, 550x418px) Image search: [Google]
Furpan.jpg
119KB, 550x418px
>>35635477
det(A) = sum of products of down right diagonals - sum of products of up right diagonals

downright: you start with 1/n! and replace the higher factors with the first terms a second time
downright = sum from k=0 to n-1 of 1/( (n-k)! k! )

upright: you start with ( (.5n)! / (n!) )^2, where you round .5n up and it's so complicated i don't want to do this; it's just a calculation, and it'll take me forever:/

>What are your images?
My images are images of eating utensils i found online put through some filters me and my friend wrote.
>>35635357
>>35634490
>>
>>35640896
someone deleted the riddles though..
wwwhy would someone do such a thing.(
>>
>>35640956
Transform to upper triangular and it works out fairly nicely.
>>
>>35640982
ahhh, i wasn't sure if i was missing something or if i was just too slow at things.
>>
>>35628442

guys, what's the most difficult math subject you've ever encountered? Not asking about applied math, just the most fucked up theoretical shit you've ever seen
>>
>>35641063
Inter-universal Teichmuller theory
>>
>>35641091
where did you encounter that?
>>
File: 1484921152764.jpg (12KB, 326x272px) Image search: [Google]
1484921152764.jpg
12KB, 326x272px
>>35628442
lmao'ing @ ur pathetic lifes nerds ayyyyyyyy I bet u virgin ahahaha nigga s m h t b h f a m
>>
>>35641091
>http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Inter-universal%20Teichmuller%20Theory%20I.pdf

holy fuck what is this
>>
>>35640447
>>35640468
Thanks.
I believe I've fixed it;

All our numbers can be written as
2^(a_1) * 3^(a_2) * ... 31^(a_11) for each a_j a natural number where 1<= j <= 11.
Thus the product of two numbers will have as exponents on each prime the sum of two such exponents; a_j + b_j.

That is if m = 2^(a_1) * 3^(a_2) * ... 31^(a_11) and n = 2^(b_1) * ... * 31^(b_11) then
m*n = 2^(a_1 + b_1) * 3^(a_2 + b_2) * ... * 31^(a_11 + b_11).

Each exponent prime exponent a_j of each number in our list is either odd or even.
Since odd + odd = even and even + even = even, we need to show that there must be two numbers in our list such that their exponents on each prime are either both even or both odd to obtain that their product has an even prime power on each of "it's" primes and thus it is a perfect square.

Consider then the function f(a_j) = 1 if a_j even, and 0 if a_j odd. The number of different strings of 11 bits is 2^11 = 2048, meaning that we can have at most 2048 numbers for which f(a_j) for all j does not match f(a_j) for all j for any other number.
Meaning we have atleast 2050 - 2048 = 2 numbers for which each exponent a_j on each of their prime factors are either both odd or both even.
The product of these two numbers has then an even prime power on each prime factor and thus it is a perfect square.
QED.
>>
>>35640541
>>35640604
>>35640682
I think I've fixed it.
>>35641283
>>
mathfags are the fucking worst
there's a guy in my software engineer team with a math degree, he can't do anything so always has to defer to regaling you with tales about some stupid math property he learned in school to try to look smart
>>
>>35641283
yep yep yap
>>
>actually really like literature and philosophy
>always feel stupid because it isn't math
i juts want to be smart so i can make something new and beautiful
>>
>>35640604
>>35641354
gj; looking good to me.
>>
>>35641505
it's never too late mate.

Passed my teenage years thinking I wasn't enough for math.
Discovered my hidden love for math once I started applying it.
Now I want to further my studies in applied math-intensive and stat intensive fields. I won't be as good as >>35641283 but at least I'll try.

Remember if you don't use math + critical thinking in your job or studies, you're pretty much useless and all you know is worth shit.
>>
>>35641595
i don't really think that is true. there are lots of smart people who don't do math (artists, linguists,doctors) but i would still like to know math
>>
>>35629657
"sleep tight plato"
"sleep tight plato"
"sleep tight plato"
>>
>>35631268
>Smart is objective
>>
File: 32245.png (207KB, 384x404px) Image search: [Google]
32245.png
207KB, 384x404px
>>35628442
and yet you ironically oust yourself as uneducated for not knowing mathematics is a branch of logic, which is a branch of philosophy. you've contradicted yourself.

STEMfags are incredible at embarrassing themselves.
>>
>i have emotional intelligence instead

I can't read this without laugh for few seconds.
>>
>>35642058
>tfw employed as an engineer and hate stemfags
>>
>>35642129
yeah, I'm a biochem major and I regret it. I'm more comfortable living frugally with a part time service job. I value the education I received much more than the scrap of paper itself.

I've never met so much pretentiousness than in the STEM field. and I mean actual pretentiousness, not just the misused buzzword. people who think they are the epitome of logic while making arguments from authority and contradicting themselves constantly. people working in science that do not fully understand the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. it's embarrassing and a little bit frightening.
>>
>>35642183
this is pretty accurate
my wife is a post doc in your field, it doesn't get any better
>>
>>35642058
Math and science are part of the classical definition of Philosophy yes

but

Most modern "Philosophers" don't have a mathematic education beyond pre calc and only have to take some of the most basic level science courses.

Classical philosophers were reliant and curious about maths and sciences,

Contemporary philosophy that you learn at most universities is retarded and is a bastardization of classical viewpoint.

>Studying metaphysics without even understanding physics

Top kek
>>
File: meshpan.jpg (84KB, 550x418px) Image search: [Google]
meshpan.jpg
84KB, 550x418px
>>35640956
>>35640982
okay, i'm going to try this again.
a_(ij) =
1/i if i<j
1/j otherwise
subtract the row above from each row.
a'_(ij) =
0 if i<j
1/j-1/(j-1) if i=j
idgaf what if i>j

this is the same as multiplying by a matrix M with elements
m_(ij) =
-1 if i=j+1
1 if i=j
0 otherwise

A' = AM
det(A') = det(A)* det(M)
det(A) = det(M)/det(A')

det(M) = sum of diagonals = 1
det(A') = sum of diagonals
the diagonals of A' are:
a'_(ii) = 1/i - 1/(i+1)
det(A') = sum from i=1 to i=n of (1/i - 1/(i+1))
det(A') = n/(n+1)

det(A) = (n+1)/n
(wiw!)

idk why i didn't think of that myself.
> pic related
the complexity of the pictutre represents the fact that i didn't complete the riddle myself, and the messiness of the process.
cf previous pictures
>>35634490
>>35635357
>>35640956
>>
>>35642453
>look at how smart i am!
>>
>>35642663
>i didn't think of that myself
i admit that i wasn't smart enough to solve it without help, and even with help, it was not as easy as it should've been, but i wanted to do it, so that maybe someone would be able to see if i made any mistake, which is very possible.
>>
>tfw shit at math

Feels bad man
>>
Aight Niggas try to this then.
I think it's a nice little one.
>>
>stem is pretentious
>A field that claims to be experts in metaphysics, ethics, politics, and "How to learn" is fine though.

STEM fields despite having the highest barrier to entry also have the lowest grad rate of declared fields.

It was the contributions of STEM fields that lead to the rapid increase in the average quality of life of 1st world countries during the 19th and 20th century.

Classical famous philosophers that philosophy majors idolize studied mathematics and science and were often at the forefront of those fields at their time.

On the other hand

>Modern philosophy has accomplished nothing outside of their bubble
>Literally nothing
>if you ask what contributions philosophy has made to society its supporters will without fail say something along the lines of "well actually philosophy created science and art."Sometimes they'll take credit for math too. Also politics. As if that field has anything to be proud of
>90% of Philosophy majors don't even study science and math in any depth beyond a highschool level. Despite taking credit for it's accomplishments.
>>
File: darkest.jpg (38KB, 671x588px) Image search: [Google]
darkest.jpg
38KB, 671x588px
>Born with dyslexia.
>Compensate Reading as soon as they figured out I was a brainlet.
>Can now read like a normal human.
>Didn't do shit for numbers.
>Words are fine and readable.
>Numbers are a mashy fucking pit of unreadable character.

>"Y-your brain just works differently sweetie, Y-you're not dumb!"

Never stood a chance at this life.
>>
>>35643093
Is this nigga for real? I think he just wants to worship that Gigga Nigga Terrence Tao and his Asian asshole.
>>
yes i'm bad at math. i never got it, it sucks being me.
>>
>>35643008
For n! its Floor(n/5)+Floor(n/25)+Floor(n/125)... until we get a 0
>>
>>35643117

Bro at least you recognize your limits. Normies are so fucking naive that they actually believe that shit rather than just saying it to make you feel better.

At least you're not retarded so you can pursue artistic curiosities while remaining competitive with your peers.

>Every child is special and needs a unique approach to their education
In the real world we have limits. Retards can't compete with normies, they need don't need education, they need training. Normies only make the retards life harder and more chaotic by pursuing their selfishy naive ideals.
>>
>>35643326
>n!
oahhh, i thought that was punctuationn.
>>
>>35642129

I live with an Enginner and he always contanza.jpg's me about me studying Languages/Translation/Linguistics (yet he owes me money, if you're so rich pay me back cunt) And he memes me a lot about my curiosity and dablling in history, philosophy, and other humanities.

I get it; STEM is incredibly important and should be respected, but so are the liberal arts. Of course the skill floor for most liberal arts is lower, but that doesn't mean that the skill ceiling is low. It gets pretty complex, plus to say things like Economics, law, languages, philosophy, history and literature are useless endeavours is autistic
>>
>>35628442
Honest to God I'm pretty good at math (never gotten below an A in any math class and took only AP/Honors in high school) but fucking hate it, I don't know why anyone would actually enjoy it.
>>
>>35642404
you consider yourself STEM while making sweeping generalized statements that are literally false due to a single exception contradicting the rule, and reflect a level of ignorance of the field of philosophy, all in an attempt to supplement your fragile ego? embarrassing.
>>
>>35639204
look dude you're not wrong in saying that it's not some arcane fuckfest and everybody with determination could in some way succeed given unlimited resources

but some people can't visualize, don't have any sense of spatial relations, can't rotate shit in their head, can't even COUNT etc because their brain just does not have the equipment due to brain damage or generally low intelligence.

like most people you're severely underestimating how many specific skills managed by different brain areas yield your integrated experience of your own cognition process and if that shit is broken you're going to struggle

trying to learn about the basic calculus functions when you can't ever remember what their graphs look like is going to be hard and frustrating
>>
>>35628442
>tfw Bachelors in physics
>tfw didn't enjoy physics
>tfw now studying philosophy
At least I am enjoying myself I guess.
>>
File: 446-pure-math-vs-applied-math.png (24KB, 473x226px) Image search: [Google]
446-pure-math-vs-applied-math.png
24KB, 473x226px
>>35628442
The difference between normie maths and our maths is what you can do with it.
>>
>>35643747
you said I consider myself Stem when nowhere in my post did i say anything that resembles that. Then you go full Freud and resort to psychoanalysis.

If I argued like you I would say
>Projecting much.

But that's retarded. So I won't claim that your out of the blue statement on insecurity is projecting.

Some of my statements were obviously overgeneralized, obviously not every classical philosopher had interest in math and/or science. But the ones who didn't were worthless pieces of trash in the same league as modern "philosophers" so really aren't worth paying any mind to. You could have solely emphasized those over generalizations and made a good point. instead you went full retard and posted statements that contained things far more flawed than over generalizations.

If i should be embarrassed you should be tying the noose due to humiliation at this very moment.
>>
>>35639671
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Software Engineering uses applications of Computer Science (algorithms, functions, information theory etc.) else Software Engineering would just a linguistics field.
>>
>>35644985

*be a linguistics field
>>
>>35644727
>"I didn't make generalizations!"
>*makes generalization*
okay?
>>
A weak mind such as yourself should listen to my story and take notes

Couple weeks into caIculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.
>>
>be really good at math as a kid
>straight As
>even get put in the fancy class with only 4 other kids because we were so far ahead
>hit high school
>can't understand any of this fucking algebra or calculus bullshit
>now work as an accountant

I just don't get it. What the fuck is calculus? Makes no fucking sense to me.
>>
>>35645789
I can't tell whether this is a joke or serious
>>
>>35631155
>It's like you're a calculator.
STOP. FUCKING STOP

CALCULATION IS NOT THE ESSENCE OF MATH YOU FUCKING BRAINLET I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE MAKE THIS MISTAKE
>>
>>35628442
this red pilled me
>>
>>35628442
I was this way I cannot do math on paper but I am 3 years into a plumbers apprenticeship and have to apply the math to tangible objects and I love it. I dont know why but it comes much easier this way.
>>
>>35631444
>Applying maths onto something? Now that's a different story altogether e.g. Actuary.
this

Normies don't respect the "smart guy" unless he's found a way to cash it in. When you talk about Fermat, you sound the same to them as they sound to you when they discuss American Idol

Speaking from experience. Lots of us really do live under the "lonely genius" delusion. Whether we admit it to ourselves or not. Stop sitting around thinking you'll remain the martyr curator of mathematics, or classical music, or whatever and find ways to enjoy your youth
>>
>>35629493
And it's pointless as hell and any "research" you conduct will most likely have no real world consequences. Now a PhD in Chemistry on the other hand...
>>
>>35645885
it's a /sci/ copypasta
>>
>>35628442
Mathematicians are an interest in breed of stem majors. They are usually Chads and you don't see as many incel types as you see from comp sci and the like. They usually have better social skills too.
>>
>>35644354
>laplace transforms and fourier analysis are less important than my theoretical circle jerking!
>>
File: Ti94pepe.jpg (196KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
Ti94pepe.jpg
196KB, 750x1334px
>>35629657
sleep tight plato my nigga
>>
>>35647438
This is news to me, I have yet to meet a "Chad" in any of my math classes.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.